Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Irish Recording Engineer/Producers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

seannash wrote: »
    your pretty threadlocking happy to be honest man.i dont think we need to be babysat and have threads locked when they show any signs of maybe becoming heated.
    now im not questioning your mod skills but the number of locked threads has gone up alot since you got your mod badge.
    not trying to be insulting at all just stating:D

How many have I locked do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

your pretty threadlocking happy to be honest man.i dont think we need to be babysat and have threads locked when they show any signs of maybe becoming heated.
    now im not questioning your mod skills but the number of locked threads has gone up alot since you got your mod badge.

Think it's more of a 'relevance' thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

This is getting out of hand, I'm going back to the paddling pool:D

PaulBrewer wrote: »

More than zero, less than twenty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

i dont really know.it could be the topics are more heated now but i always note that your the one who always threatens the locking.whether you do it or not i dont know.
    again not trying to rub you up the wrong way just stating that theres been alot more threads lately or threathened to be

• Advertisement

the last one you locked up was because the thread went off the topic of the original post.
    but thats all part and parcel,most threads veer off on some tangent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

erm, aint that the job of a mod? to try to keep the peace to a certain extent (amongst other things)

i mod on a uk techno forum and we use the thread lock a lot to let things cool down.. better than threatning people with bans int it?

i dont really know.

Indeed.

If threads are just waffling on in a repetitive fashion Off Topic, the simplest thing to do is lock, especially if hackles are being raised unnecessarily.

You'll know well from my own posts I'm well up for full and frank sharing of views.

If anyone feels they have points to make further on a locked thread they can, of course, start another thread.

If the Forum turns into a Shouting Match like I hear some others have (Soccer I believe is one) then it won't be an inviting place for Newbies or anyone who might be put off posting for fear of the response.

We are , after all adults ...... aren't we?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

erm, aint that the job of a mod? to try to keep the peace to a certain extent (amongst other things)

i mod on a uk techno forum and we use the thread lock a lot to let things cool down.. better than threatning people with bans int it?

Tbh, no. If people aren't being civil, and are attacking the poster, not the post, then it's more appropriate to warn and then ban them if they carry on than it is to lock the thread and stop what could be a useful or interesting conversation for other users. But this is off topic, maybe it could be split into a different thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Indeed.

If threads are just waffling on in a repetitive fashion Off Topic, the simplest thing to do is lock, especially if hackles are being raised unnecessarily.

You'll know well from my own posts I'm well up for full and frank sharing of views.

If anyone feels they have points to make further on a locked thread they can, of course, start another thread.

If the Forum turns into a Shouting Match like I hear some others have (Soccer I believe is one) then it won't be an inviting place for Newbies or anyone who might be put off posting for fear of the response.

COME ON THE POOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Indeed.

okay i just went back 3 pages and theres 2 thread locked and this one threathened to be locked is three.not astronomical ill admit but it seems like people are being overly cautious.theres no need to threaten this thread with a locking,nothing untoward is going on.were being pretty civil.
    i know what a mods job is but like i said were all adults and we dont need to have threads threathened to be locked coz someone gets there feelings hurt.
    i dont think theres anyone on here who attacks anyone.

Indeed.

I think your lack of exposure to the the way modding is generally conducted on boards is showing a little here Paul. If people don't get warned and banned, what's the incentive for them to treat others with respect or civility when things get heated? The thread gets locked? So what. Doesn't affect them directly, and they never get held accountable for their behaviour.

fitz wrote: »
    I think your lack of exposure to the the way nodding is generally conducted on boards is showing a little here Paul. If people don't get warned and banned, what's the incentive for them to treat others with respect or civility when things get heated? The thread gets locked? So what. Doesn't affect them directly, and they never get held accountable for their behaviour.

There are only very general guidelines for Modding, not fixed rules.

No one has overstepped the mark in my opinion. If that ever happens here you can be sure Banning will result. Be VERY sure.

I personally think that, as I've seen on the Private Mod Forum, some guys just get banned first sign of trouble. I'd rather leave people on to make their points, once within the charter. Opposing views are very necessary to keep things cooking.

My own view is that if any locked thread had any legs left in it the subject would resurface.
    The recent 2 locked had, in my opinion, just turned to nonsense and people were getting unnecessarily annoyed. Also I've warned everyone beforehand what would happen.

The extent of my Modding has been miniscule.

3 threads have been locked in total as far as I recall and no banning.

That's the way it will be. Anyone is, of course, welcome to make any complaints via Feedback.

Back on topic? WHy hasn't anyone shot down my Phil Coulter recommendation!!!

TelePaul wrote: »
    Back on topic? WHy hasn't anyone shot down my Phil Coulter recommendation!!!

Phil actually Rocks ...

SRat has done a lot of stuff with him -

Did you know ...

Phil is the only European to write a song for Elvis?

Phil wrote 'Puppet on String' for Sandy Shaw, and 'Congratulations' for Cliff Richard in the Eurovision

He wrote and produced the Bay City Rollers

He wrote 'Scorn not his simplicity' about his son and sung by Luke Kelly of the Dubliners

Phil is a mighty successful Dude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Coulter

I'm not suggesting you ban at the first sign of trouble, I'm saying that threatening to ban people comes before threatening to lock a thread when people are starting to get personal. Minimal modding can be as bad as being heavy handed. Do you really think it makes more sense to threaten to lock a thread if a couple of participants start getting personal? Can you not see the negative affect for other users, and the message that sends, to threaten to lock the thread instead of addressing the posters involved with ban warnings?

Didn't Coulter write Ireland's Call too? (topically, given the sporting day that's in it...)

fitz wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting you ban at the first sign of trouble, I'm saying that threatening to ban people comes before threatening to lock a thread when people are starting to get personal. Minimal modding can be as bad as being heavy handed. Do you really think it makes more sense to threaten to lock a thread if a couple of participants start getting personal? Can you not see the negative affect for other users, and the message that sends, to threaten to lock the thread instead of addressing the posters involved with ban warnings?

If there was a molecule of worth in any of those threads I'd have let them run.

That is my opinion, you're very welcome to disagree.

If you have anything further to comment on my modding start a thread on Feedback.

You've ignored the point a bit Paul. I've no issue with the threads in question being locked, they'd run their course. I do have an issue with threatening to lock the thread being your first option in terms of modding. I'll duck out of this now cause it's way OT, if you want to discuss it further on Feedback that's fine.

If there was a molecule of worth in any of those threads I'd have let them run.

That is my opinion, you're very welcome to disagree.

If you have anything further to comment on my modding start a thread on Feedback.

even if it does deterierate into a thread with no relevence to the original topic theres no need to lock it.espcially if noone has done any harm.threads run out of steam,no need to loc them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

Phil actually Rocks ...

Phil wrote 'Puppet on String' for Sandy Shaw, and 'Congratulations' for Cliff Richard in the Eurovision

Co-wrote with Bill Martin I think who is a mate of my Mum's!

I've spent the w/e minding the kids while my wife worked. I believe that makes me a domestic engineer. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Mr. Coulter is actually a very good producer. He can put a seriously big project together in a relatively short abount of time. He usually works flat out 14 hours a day for about 4 or 5 weeks, horse of a man!

Donal Lunny is also a really excellent prod. IMO. Engineers I'd say Brian Masterson, Tim Martin, Phil Begley and Ciaran Byrne are all really top class. Jimmy Eadie's also up there with those dudes. And of course Me;)

Of course people who drive trains are called engineers. Casey Jones was an railwayengineer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Jones Ergo I am a sound engineer.

studiorat wrote: »
    Mr. Coulter is actually a very good producer. He can put a seriously big project together in a relatively short abount of time. He usually works flat out 14 hours a day for about 4 or 5 weeks, horse of a man!

Donal Lunny is also a really excellent prod. IMO. Engineers I'd say Brian Masterson, Tim Martin, Phil Begley and Ciaran Byrne are all really top class. Jimmy Eadie's also up there with those dudes. And of course Me;)

Of course people who drive trains are called engineers. Casey Jones was an railwayengineer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Jones Ergo I am a sound engineer.

Casey Jones! Brilliant ... Do you wear a striped hat?

http://brokenwheelranch.com/caseyjones.htm Great tune too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Casey Jones! Brilliant ... Do you wear a striped hat?

http://brokenwheelranch.com/caseyjones.htm Great tune too.

Of course he had a dog Cinders. Maybe to be a real engineer you need a dog and a sidekick.

There aren't very many suggestions really are there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Antimo Puca - may not be well known yet , but hes goona be .

stereo steve - one of the greatest engineers ever :D
    although he finds it hard to hear from up on that high engineering horse :D:D

( seriously - get a life dude - no one gives a t0ss that you can calculate the viscosity of your own sense of self importance - particularly my bin man ( GARBAGE ENGINEER ) , my pc repair man ( IT ENGINEER )
    my local cafe ( FOOD ENGINEER ) etc. etc - and please dont get the big scary society of engineers to come after me

LMFAO

and whoever said dadumtish - is an idiot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

DaDumTish wrote: »

( seriously - get a life dude - no one gives a t0ss that you can calculate the viscosity of your own sense of self importance - particularly my bin man ( GARBAGE ENGINEER ) , my pc repair man ( IT ENGINEER )
    my local cafe ( FOOD ENGINEER ) etc. etc - and please dont get the big scary society of engineers to come after me

LMFAO

Lol!!! +1

I think Gareth Manix is a savage Irish engineer/producer.

Who's Antimo then?

LMFAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

ap studios is antimos .

• Advertisement

ap studios is antimos .

Ah yes! He came to the SSL Matrix demo a few weeks back. Comes across as a very well clued in guy.

Advertisement