Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tradesmen and cash jobs

• 05-06-2020 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,267 ✭✭✭✭

Someone educate me,

a tradesman gives you a price for a job, say 500 euro but says i can do it for cash for 450.

What am i missing, he doesnt need to charge vat, 13.5%, gets him to 440 (450 close enough fine), but nor is he paying any corporation tax or paye.

the savings should be a lot more than him knocking some of the vat off surely?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,168 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pay the €500 get a proper receipt, feel like a contributing citizen and feel good about yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Cash job, no receipt, no insurance and no comeback. €50 saved could be the most expensive €50 you ever saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Cyrus wrote: »
    Someone educate me,

a tradesman gives you a price for a job, say 500 euro but says i can do it for cash for 450.

What am i missing, he doesnt need to charge vat, 13.5%, gets him to 440 (450 close enough fine), but nor is he paying any corporation tax or paye.

It should. You save a little money, he makes more money.
    You have no comeback should anything go wrong, and usually he's likely a cowboy if he's offering cash jobs in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Ok, you can pay cash and it goes into the workers pocket or you can do it through the books and fifty percent of it gets to be wasted by government , assuming worker earns over marginal rate ...

Who do you your money going too? The rich or poor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Ok, you can pay cash and it goes into the workers pocket or you can do it through the books and fifty percent of it gets to be wasted by government , assuming worker earns over marginal rate ...

Don't you mean the economy or the dodgy tradesman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Idbatterim wrote: »

Over the marginal rate is considered poor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

That 500 euro job should be 380 cash.

That's what I would charge. I presume its labour only no parts to be purchased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Some tradesmen will not be vat registered while still being legit. In that case, 450 cash would be a reasonable deduction.
    A vat registered person should be knocking off vat plus for a cash job.
    Its ok to knock tradesmen and call them all cowboys but customer is equally to blame as trades are continually asked for cash prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,267 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

some of you are misunderstanding the post, im not advocating taking the cash job, im asking why the offered savings are so small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

some of you are misunderstanding the post, im not advocating taking the cash job, im asking why the offered savings are so small.

I get ya. It's not enough of a price reduction that's whi I said is it labour only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Because in general the person will accept it. Why would you not charge a higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

mickdw wrote: »
    Some tradesmen will not be vat registered while still being legit. In that case, 450 cash would be a reasonable deduction.
    A vat registered person should be knocking off vat plus for a cash job.
    Its ok to knock tradesmen and call them all cowboys but customer is equally to blame as trades are continually asked for cash prices.

If not Vat registered, he should not be charging Vat and he should still give a receipt, and take payment by whatever means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Well realistically they aren't going to risk tax evasion for nothing.

You get the VAT off the price, they don't have to pay PAYE, PRSI and USC. That's the trade.

No point in them deducting that off the price for you for them to get the same amount they would have if they would have done the job through the books.

Someone educate me,

He can claim.the vat back on materials,while not paying any on the job

Though personally think its a bad idea,your only saving someone else money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I would guess the savings are split 50/50.

€100 saving - you get €50 off, he gets extra €50.

Not really worth it unless its something that can't be done wrong and the incentive jumps you up a waiting list and jobs like that you can probably do yourself or get someone from a mens shed to do.

Personally I would always pay direct into a bank account - it takes a few hours in most cases to eb in the account and gives you a record for yourself.

He can claim.the vat back on materials,while not paying any on the job

Though personally think its a bad idea,your only saving someone else money

That would be a risky thing to do, revenue could ask what job were these materials used for and where is the paper work?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Baymax2020

More than likely because he still has to pay other costs that people who aren't from a trade background don't see, such as tax and insurance on his van basic upkeep and maintenance of his tools or if one of his tools breaks it would have to be replaced.

I wouldn't worry about a tradesman been a cowboy just because he knocks a few quid off for cash as long as he comes with a good reputation or you have seen some previous work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Simply put he wagered that by giving you 50 euro off for paying cash you would take it.

So he gets his cash in hand.
    He doesn't give you a receipt as that's the deal.
    He doesn't pay any tax.
    It's a nixer.

Baymax2020 wrote: »
    More than likely because he still has to pay other costs that people who aren't from a trade background don't see, such as tax and insurance on his van basic upkeep and maintenance of his tools or if one of his tools breaks it would have to be replaced.

I wouldn't worry about a tradesman been a cowboy just because he knocks a few quid off for cash as long as he comes with a good reputation or you have seen some previous work.

he pays them whether he he charges vat or not, by making it a cash job he makes a lot more, i dont get your point at all.

and i also agree that not all tradesmen that do jobs for cash are cowboys

he pays them whether he he charges vat or not, by making it a cash job he makes a lot more, i dont get your point at all.

and i also agree that not all tradesmen that do jobs for cash are cowboys

He makes more, you pay less. Where's the confusion?

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    He makes more, you pay less. Where's the confusion?

yes but the hidden costs that were mentioned are there one way or the other. tax on his van tools etc.

also he makes a lot more than i save, just doesnt make sense as a value proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Baymax2020

yes but the hidden costs that were mentioned are there one way or the other. tax on his van tools etc.

also he makes a lot more than i save, just doesnt make sense as a value proposition.

It's simple if you're not happy with his price go elsewhere or else pay the full amount and get a receipt. He's giving you the opportunity to save a few quid makes no odds to him if you take it or leave it

He's the one taking the bigger risk. Haggle the price or pay the VAT, or get someone else.

It's simple if you're not happy with his price go elsewhere or else pay the full amount and get a receipt. He's giving you the opportunity to save a few quid makes no odds to him if you take it or leave it

sure thats a given, but your other point made no sense.

and it is odds to him at the rates quoted because he makes a lot more doing it for cash than legit.

He's the one taking the bigger risk. Haggle the price or pay the VAT, or get someone else.

again you are misunderstanding me,

im not paying cash, im paying the full price,

i just find the cash price offered strange and not worth my while going to an atm to be frank!

sure thats a given, but your other point made no sense.

and it is odds to him at the rates quoted because he makes a lot more doing it for cash than legit.

Most tradesmen I've dealt with it doesn't make much odds to them because they will need to put most jobs through the books anyway. A couple of cash jobs or nixors here and there.

again you are misunderstanding me,

im not paying cash, im paying the full price,

i just find the cash price offered strange and not worth my while going to an atm to be frank!

I'm not misunderstanding you, I'm explaining the cash price offered that you find strange. He is taking a bigger risk so while you will save 13.5% on the price, he saves more but you can haggle or be happy with that saving.

If it's a 50 or 60k job, 13.5% is a nice saving.

I'm not misunderstanding you, I'm explaining the cash price offered that you find strange. He is taking a bigger risk so while you will save 13.5% on the price, he saves more but you can haggle or be happy with that saving.

If it's a 50 or 60k job, 13.5% is a nice saving.

it is, not many people paying cash for a 50/60k job.

also, if a tradesman is doing it the 25-30k extra he makes for cash is a very nice saving.

it is, not many people paying cash for a 50/60k job.

also, if a tradesman is doing it the 25-30k extra he makes for cash is a very nice saving.

Yep and if revenue comes a knocking it will be his problem, not yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Someone educate me,

if was quoted 500 for a job , id offer 400 cash , 450 is too high as i can usually write off cost against tax

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    It should. You save a little money, he makes more money.
    You have no comeback should anything go wrong, and usually he's likely a cowboy if he's offering cash jobs in the first place.

vast majority of tradesmen will try and get cash including the good ones for jobs under 5 k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cash = "I don't have to stand over this work as there's no proof"

biko wrote: »
    Cash = "I don't have to stand over this work as there's no proof"

if a tradesmen makes a balls of a 500 euro job , the customer is not going to follow them anyway , court is too drawn out and too expensive , the tradesmen have so much work , they dont care about loosing a customer , most tradesmen have a mercenary attitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    if a tradesmen makes a balls of a 500 euro job , the customer is not going to follow them anyway , court is too drawn out and too expensive

Small claims court is there for cases like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I get what you are saying op.
    Like, there he is taking off 50 euro if it's cash in hand. You knowing the score and thinking "ok, he's not gonna pay tax"

Yet, on the surface from your aspect that if he is willing to dodge tax why not make the discount a bit higher to you (why not quote 400? 360?)

Thing is, he has to make money too. If the offer is too low for cash in hand why should he do it? He'd make more paying tax and going through the system (quote of 500)

• Advertisement

It’s not a great reduction I’d personally be expecting to save much more by doing cash.

I’ll be starting a selfbuild direct labour in the next 6 months or so and I will be paying cash as much as possible to the trades people (which will be most of the major jobs as I already know the people I will use and they all take cash from previous experience) to bring down my build cost. I’d expect to be saving far more than the 10% in the op for paying cash but the figures will be much bigger so more more room to negotiate.

As for tradesmen not standing over cash jobs? Rubbish. A good tradesman will stand over cash jobs the same as any other. Ones who don’t stand over cash jobs are the same ones who would try to get out of obligations on jobs with paper work too.

That would be a risky thing to do, revenue could ask what job were these materials used for and where is the paper work?

In theory yes,

In reality revenue too busy to check too deep,and lads just lump them in,with other jobs....its pointless messing tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Iodine1 wrote: »
    Cash job, no receipt, no insurance and no comeback. €50 saved could be the most expensive €50 you ever saved.

A lesson I learned over the years, thinking I was saving a few quid by paying cash, then the tradesman can't be found if there's any problems with the job.

Now I'd rather pay the extra and know I've some comeback.

A lesson I learned over the years, thinking I was saving a few quid by paying cash, then the tradesman can't be found if there's any problems with the job.

Now I'd rather pay the extra and know I've some comeback.

Again the problem there is your choice of tradesman not the fact they take cash. I’ve yet to come across a tradesman who doesn’t take cash and the vast majority would be skilled workers who stand over their work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Again the problem there is your choice of tradesman not the fact they take cash. I’ve yet to come across a tradesman who doesn’t take cash and the vast majority would be skilled workers who stand over their work.

I've seen a nightmare develop from tradesman agreeing to cash with the client disputing the various agreed cash prices and threatening to call the taxman on all the trades on her housebuild.
    I subcontracted on a day rate off a contractor and ended up ok but lots on the build lost due to dealing directly with client building the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Or option 3, report him to revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

KaneToad wrote: »
    Or option 3, report him to revenue.

And do what exactly, suggest that a tradesman offered to circumvent VAT when he may not even be VAT registered? Realistically the tradesman could simply say that the client was disgruntled and threatened to complain if he was not given a lower price. Now maybe it will raise a red flag which leads to an audit or more scrutiny and maybe it convinces the tradesman to stop offering nixers, but I wouldn't be so sure of any of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

He was chancing his arm...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

How does paying a tradesman with a cheque or credit card give you any recourse above and beyond what you'd get by paying cash?

I own a few apartments in town, and had them all done up paying in cash for plumbing, tiling, painting etc. I supplied the materials myself, and they do the labour for cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

How does paying a tradesman with a cheque or credit card give you any recourse above and beyond what you'd get by paying cash?

I own a few apartments in town, and had them all done up paying in cash for plumbing, tiling, painting etc. I supplied the materials myself, and they do the labour for cash.

If a tradesman cashes a cheque or receives a bank transfer, the first thing any accountant will ask him when it comes time to file is 'what was that for?' They will ask you the same thing when they see the money leaving the account. A direct transfer to a tradesman is a greater indication of an agreement to do a job than a random cash withdrawal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

If a tradesman cashes a cheque or receives a bank transfer, the first thing any accountant will ask him when it comes time to file is 'what was that for?' They will ask you the same thing when they see the money leaving the account. A direct transfer to a tradesman is a greater indication of an agreement to do a job than a random cash withdrawal.

I get that there's a money trail. But that means nothing. There's no contract at all.

The reality is most tradesmen are decent sorts, and tend to do a good job. And they've huge problems collecting money as well for work done. So it goes both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Like someone posted earlier, cash doesn't matter to a lot of tradesmen as it will be lodged in the bank either way, and it's a bit of a minefield. One such example I had, was with a very sanctimonious lady, with a highly paid state job , who asked me to price some work in her house, and in the course of the conversation said she would be paying cash, it made no difference to me as It was going in the bank either way, but I didn't say that to her as she thought she was getting a cash price. I did the work, got paid, and then she asked me for a receipt, and the sting in the tail was she wanted the receipt to state the work was done in two rental properties she has, so she could claim it against tax herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,168 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The reality is most tradesmen are decent sorts, and tend to do a good job.

Joke thread is over there >

Advertisement