Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

kceire wrote: »
    You need to ask them. Pay the balance and hope that they do it.
    Is it a 2 storey or 3 storey house?

3 story house.

My question is about the door styles, though. Do they ever do anything outside the normal flat panel style from the showhouse? If so what types?

Basically any other style other than https://goo.gl/photos/kC9dxt1CNJVuJ7LW9

Also how far do the doors open? Can they open all the way back against the walls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

cronos wrote: »
    How long is the walk to town? Say O'Connell street?

Takes about 45-50 minutes roughly to get to O'Connell street.
    Canal all the way to upper dorset street and on from there then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

3 story house.

My question is about the door styles, though. Do they ever do anything outside the normal flat panel style from the showhouse? If so what types?

Basically any other style other than https://goo.gl/photos/kC9dxt1CNJVuJ7LW9

Also how far do the doors open? Can they open all the way back against the walls?

If it's a 3 storey house, then they may be fire doors and they can't just chop and change them unless the new doors meet the same technical requirements as what was in the original design.

This may add a delay to the contractor doing the work. You'd have to double check with him though.

kceire wrote: »
    If it's a 3 storey house, then they may be fire doors and they can't just chop and change them unless the new doors meet the same technical requirements as what was in the original design.

This may add a delay to the contractor doing the work. You'd have to double check with him though.

Can they open all the way against the walls? The normal flat panel ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Can they open all the way against the walls? The normal flat panel ones?

No they open to maybe 30-45 degrees.

Arbie wrote: »
    No they open to maybe 30-45 degrees.

If you had a choice again, would you keep the doors or have a wall between?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

Is rathbourne village not in the opposite direction to town coming from RCP?
    It is. But I haven't walked from Broobridge at night, but during the day I didn't see any lighting along the canal as well. So I just used the other direction for a point of reference regarding the darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭janeybaby

Have a question for the people who booked houses in phase 3 -
    Tom in Ballymore has advised that white is the only remaining paint option for houses in this phase.
    I feel given the other phases have had the option of grey, white or magnolia that we should also get the same choice. Just wondering if anybody else had been in touch with Ballymore about wanting an alternative to white ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ek

janeybaby wrote: »
    Have a question for the people who booked houses in phase 3 -
    Tom in Ballymore has advised that white is the only remaining paint option for houses in this phase.
    I feel given the other phases have had the option of grey, white or magnolia that we should also get the same choice. Just wondering if anybody else had been in touch with Ballymore about wanting an alternative to white ?

We bought in phase 2a (booking deposit February 2016). We did not have a choice on the paint colour. Some of our neighbours paid to have the house painted grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

ek wrote: »
    We bought in phase 2a (booking deposit February 2016). We did not have a choice on the paint colour. Some of our neighbours paid to have the house painted grey.

We were in the exact same release, Herron, and had a choice of 3 colours. Bit shocking really considering the cost of painting a house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭janeybaby

Our preference would be grey as easier to maintain for a few years. If there a few people looking for same, would you be interested in collectively pursuing this option with Ballymore? I'm guessing the more numbers looking for it, the more chance we have at getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

Same phase, 2a, and we were given no choice. Ended up paying external contractors to have a portion of the house repainted gray.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

Got a quote for nearly 2700 for a solicitor, it's good in that he has done a few places in the delopment but does seem a bit pricey. Can anyone recommend a Solicitor?

Mod: recommendations by pm only please

Keithchap wrote: »
    Got a quote for nearly 2700 for a solicitor, it's good in that he has done a few places in the delopment but does seem a bit pricey. Can anyone recommend a Solicitor?

Is that just the professional fee?

Is that just the professional fee?
    No, that's everything including searches and registry fees etc

What's the professional fee?

What's the professional fee?
    €1500, that includes VAT.

Our preference would be grey as easier to maintain for a few years. If there a few people looking for same, would you be interested in collectively pursuing this option with Ballymore? I'm guessing the more numbers looking for it, the more chance we have at getting it.

I'd be interested in grey throughout also.
    I'm trying to get the wording in the contract from Sherry Fitz also to see what exactly it says regarding painting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I have a quote from a local solicitor for €2,535

PM if you want details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

I thought they were all painted a light grey, thats what sherry fitz told us.

Ours is on bridge avenue, about 75% complete. Anyone know what color they will be painted internally?

Also, anyone who got changes (radiator moved, cat 6 cabling, tap outside etc), can you advise the process?
    Did you work directly with the contractor?
    How did you vet the work was completed to your satisfaction, seeing as we cant go on site?
    Did you do up professional drawings of the changes?
    How were the contractors to deal with?

fret_wimp2 wrote: »

Ours is on bridge avenue, about 75% complete. Anyone know what color they will be painted internally?

All white internally with no colour choice according to Ballymore. Sherry Fitz also led me to believe there would be a neutral colour included - I wouldn't really call white a colour!

I'd go for grey also so put my name on the list, I'll mention it to Ballymore also.

Also, anyone who got changes (radiator moved, cat 6 cabling, tap outside etc), can you advise the process?
    Did you work directly with the contractor?
    How did you vet the work was completed to your satisfaction, seeing as we cant go on site?
    Did you do up professional drawings of the changes?
    How were the contractors to deal with?

Tap outside. Ask ballymore aka Tom and pay 150 euro
    cat 6 you need to get the electrician's information
    radiator moved ask ballymore aka tom and pay 350 euro

personally only have done the tap choice above myself, it's come up in snagging that they did not add the tap part, but the pipe appears to have been added

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Tap outside. Ask ballymore aka Tom and pay 150 euro
    cat 6 you need to get the electrician's information
    radiator moved ask ballymore aka tom and pay 350 euro

personally only have done the tap choice above myself, it's come up in snagging that they did not add the tap part, but the pipe appears to have been added

Tom seems to be giving different info to different people!
    He told me that for the radiator and tap i needed to deal with the contractor directly.
    He also gave me the wrong plans a number of times until i kept pushing for the correct ones.

How did you pay Ballymore (wire transferr/credit card/other) and did they send you confirmation that the request was acknowledge and changes were completed?

Tom seems to be giving different info to different people!
    He told me that for the radiator and tap i needed to deal with the contractor directly.
    He also gave me the wrong plans a number of times until i kept pushing for the correct ones.

How did you pay Ballymore (wire transferr/credit card/other) and did they send you confirmation that the request was acknowledge and changes were completed?

Well for the tap it was Donna I dealt with myself. So perhaps the process has changed with her on maternity. She was the previous person doing Tom's role.

You would need to confirm payment info with Ballymore, if they are directing you to a contractor my guess is you will pay the contractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

The changes that we got were as follows

1. External tap 150 euro asked Tom
    2. Radiators moved in two rooms no cost, asked Tom
    3. CAT 6 cable installed, worked through electrician I think it cost 120
    4. Sash doors between living room and Kitchen cost 1,700 asked Tom
    5. Kitchen changed, island made smaller and the silly wooden shelf thing removed and a slightly larger work top, cost 600 and worked with kitchen providers who are quite useless
    6. RJ11 Sockets replaced with RJ45 and all cabling made active, Working with a networking person and will be done after we move in, quote is 250 which includes a router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

If you had a choice again, would you keep the doors or have a wall between?

We are happy with the doors. We would have gone with pocket doors but it wasn't possible at that stage.

RE: paint colours, we were told by SherryFitz that we would have choice of magnolia/grey/white. Then Ballymore said no choice. It was a big hullabaloo to get them to change but they did in the end. There were several other things SherryFitz told us that were incorrect, so do try to get things in writing. Ballymore expect you to keep on top of things yourself, they won't follow up on stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 manufangirl

Hi everyone thanks for all of your help and information so far this thread has been a goldmine of relevant information. Could someone pm me Tom in ballymore contact number and email? Thanks a mill

Nhol78 wrote: »
    The changes that we got were as follows
    6. RJ11 Sockets replaced with RJ45 and all cabling made active, Working with a networking person and will be done after we move in, quote is 250 which includes a router

I cannot find the quote for what I was charged but the above seems expensive. You can pick up a suitable 8 port Gigabit switch for 15 Sterling on Amazon. You don't need a router, better off without one.

At the above price I'd shop around!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 johnny66179

I'd go for grey also so put my name on the list, I'll mention it to Ballymore also.
    Hi, I would be interested in having some other options for the walls inside. Our house is on Bridge Ave and is about 75% complete. I had also asked Tom in Ballymore about the color choice and he said white was the only option available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I'm also keen to get mine done in grey.
    The expense and inconvenience of repainting the whole house afterwards is a major irritant.

Access to the high areas within the staircase and Heron master bedroom would be very awkward.

I'm also keen to get mine done in grey.
    The expense and inconvenience of repainting the whole house afterwards is a major irritant.

Access to the high areas within the staircase and Heron master bedroom would be very awkward.

According to Sherry Fitz (Nick), apparently the contracts state white is the colour with no choice. Im certain the sales agents in the show houses said a colour was included but thats usually the case, they'll promise you the sun, moon and stars but when it comes down to it, its a different story.
    If only I got that in writing from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 summerplans

Hi, At what point would you contact Ballymore to make changes like the tap outside?

Thanks

slayerking wrote: »
    According to Sherry Fitz (Nick), apparently the contracts state white is the colour with no choice. Im certain the sales agents in the show houses said a colour was included but thats usually the case, they'll promise you the sun, moon and stars but when it comes down to it, its a different story.
    If only I got that in writing from them!

In our contract there is nothing stipulated about colour. There is a section detailing specification but colour is not mentioned. At this stage you should have your contracts and be able to confirm what it says.

There is a clause in there stipulating that they are allow make minor changes to the specification if material is not available. Swapping grey paint for white would probably fall under that.
    Hi, At what point would you contact Ballymore to make changes like the tap outside?

Thanks

As soon as you have your contract you should be contacting them about changes. Note that if you request a change, then later decide against it, you're liable for any costs that may have already been incurred.

Manion wrote: »
    At this stage you should have your contracts and be able to confirm what it says.

Nope, they are very slow to send them out for the last phase.

In our contract there is nothing stipulated about colour. There is a section detailing specification but colour is not mentioned. At this stage you should have your contracts and be able to confirm what it says.

There is a clause in there stipulating that they are allow make minor changes to the specification if material is not available. Swapping grey paint for white would probably fall under that.

As soon as you have your contract you should be contacting them about changes. Note that if you request a change, then later decide against it, you're liable for any costs that may have already been incurred.

Thank you. One last question....who is the best person to contact re changes? If you have a number could you pm please.

slayerking wrote: »
    Nope, they are very slow to send them out for the last phase.
    #

OK, when you get your contract watch out for dodgy clauses. There were two in there that we got removed. One related to being liable even if the bank backs out at the last minute and the second was a clause allowing the builder to change the sale price if they're costs increase.
    Thank you. One last question....who is the best person to contact re changes? If you have a number could you pm please.

If you call the number linked below they will provide the email and number for Tom in the site office.

http://www.ballymoregroup.com/get-in-touch

You should request all changes via email and retain that email. A number of changes we requested were not fulfilled when it came to snagging. Only for the email records, we would been in trouble. I'd recommend putting the address in the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mandy662

For anyone here who bought one of the Iris's this phase and who might not have noticed, the only shower in the whole house is in the ensuite of the double bedroom.. just got confirmation of that today from Nick in Sherry Fitz

i think it's a massive design flaw as i can think of a few scenarios where that just gets plain awkward/really inconvenient when it becomes our bedroom especially as we frequently have guests staying over, some of which at times are my partner's friends from college or back home that i wouldn't know super well.. goodbye sleep-in's when guests have to come through your bathroom to wash themselves

i mean who wants a quick bath in the mornings?? maybe i am over-reacting but i don't think it's completely unreasonable to expect a shower in the main bathroom of a family home

i wonder what the chances are of requesting one gets put in?? even if it was put in the bath if you know what i mean

mandy662 wrote: »
    For anyone here who bought one of the Iris's this phase and who might not have noticed, the only shower in the whole house is in the ensuite of the double bedroom.. just got confirmation of that today from Nick in Sherry Fitz

i think it's a massive design flaw as i can think of a few scenarios where that just gets plain awkward/really inconvenient when it becomes our bedroom especially as we frequently have guests staying over, some of which at times are my partner's friends from college or back home that i wouldn't know super well.. goodbye sleep-in's when guests have to come through your bathroom to wash themselves

i mean who wants a quick bath in the mornings?? maybe i am over-reacting but i don't think it's completely unreasonable to expect a shower in the main bathroom of a family home

i wonder what the chances are of requesting one gets put in?? even if it was put in the bath if you know what i mean

We were thinking the same. We are hoping to get in touch and sort out some sort of alternative. Even the shower over the bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mandy662

ye an over the bath shower would be perfectly fine, as long as there was some sort of shower in there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 andreionut

Can people that already got the keys tell me if the garden was only seeded (or they got turf) and if the windows were properly cleaned (ours have a big sticker mark on the outside)?

We are at the final inspection now and these are our outstanding issues.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Garden was seeded. It's the wrong time of year for that I think though, not much they can do to force grass to grow so maybe try to get it in writing that they'll reseed in April?

Any windows that needed cleaning was picked up by our snagger and done.

andreionut wrote: »
    Can people that already got the keys tell me if the garden was only seeded (or they got turf) and if the windows were properly cleaned (ours have a big sticker mark on the outside)?

We are at the final inspection now and these are our outstanding issues.
    Thanks

The paranoid part of me something wonders if they leave easy stuff like that to be caught so you don't catch the big things. I'd a post some months back that listed a number of major issues especially to do with the levels of the downstairs floors.

After a few months living here I've noticed some small things I didn't see the first time like holes in the plasterboard and missing paint spots, especially behind the bathroom radiators and other places that you wouldn't normally see unless you're living there.

The windows of all the houses are filthy on the exterior, and will be until the building is complete. Every morning their is a layer of dust over everything.

I'm not a network guy but after a bit of reading has anyone considered structured cabling throughout the house? I am thinking that it wuld be handy to have fibre optic cabling going to the rooms upstairs should Virgin Media ever service the area. Would that be a very expensive option?

I'm not a network guy but after a bit of reading has anyone considered structured cabling throughout the house? I am thinking that it wuld be handy to have fibre optic cabling going to the rooms upstairs should Virgin Media ever service the area. Would that be a very expensive option?

Even Cat6 is overkill for home usage I'd say personally. Things are going in the wireless direction over time. Future proofing via cables makes limited sense I'd guess. Hard to know though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 johnny66179

Even Cat6 is overkill for home usage I'd say personally. Things are going in the wireless direction over time. Future proofing via cables makes limited sense I'd guess. Hard to know though.
    I work in telecoms and personally I think cat6 is overkill, I stuck with cat5 cabling

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

120 euro for CAT 6, I am going for it as it costs the same as a night out on the town.

Also if you move a lot of data around it can be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 andreionut

The paranoid part of me something wonders if they leave easy stuff like that to be caught so you don't catch the big things. I'd a post some months back that listed a number of major issues especially to do with the levels of the downstairs floors.

After a few months living here I've noticed some small things I didn't see the first time like holes in the plasterboard and missing paint spots, especially behind the bathroom radiators and other places that you wouldn't normally see unless you're living there.

The windows of all the houses are filthy on the exterior, and will be until the building is complete. Every morning their is a layer of dust over everything.

I'm convinced of that. My snagging report was 50% with cleaning instructions for paint stains. I should've refused to snag if the house was not clean.
    When we went for the final inspection we saw other things and their reply was "we work of the list", as in you missed it you deal with it.

I'm convinced of that. My snagging report was 50% with cleaning instructions for paint stains. I should've refused to snag if the house was not clean.
    When we went for the final inspection we saw other things and their reply was "we work of the list", as in you missed it you deal with it.

What had you missed the first time around?

• Advertisement

Hi

You have legally a number of weeks after you accept the keys in which you can still bring new issues to their attention and they must address them. I cannot recall now the exact number of weeks but I referenced it repeatedly with Ballymore when we did the snagging. Maybe someone here can provide the exactly link. Them working to a list is all well and good, but feel free to send them an updated one.

Advertisement