Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Got the 4 newest pairs out today great to see them healthy and happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

squinn2912 wrote: »

Ah lad the roan one!

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Ah lad the roan one!

I know!!! She’s a little peach!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Calf in the cow grows the largest amount of weight in the last 6 weeks. If there is twins they are both taking from the cow at this time and hence the cow gets thin.

Pity I didn't know that last week. Cow thin and limping. Couldn't find anything wrong with her foot, put her outdoors, I thought the problem was with discomfort on the slats. She calved twin heifers. Found them the following morning, the larger of the two stone cold dead. Her time was up the previous day, but as there was no obvious signs, thought she had skipped a heat. The limp was probably calves pressing on a nerve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Nice cattle and dry looking ground there.. What breed of bull are you running or is it AI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I know!!! She’s a little peach!
    What bull is she by - AI or a stock bull. She is a beauty.

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Nice cattle and dry looking ground there.. What breed of bull are you running or is it AI?

Thanks very much. Yea we’re up a height so fairly dry ground but that’s a dryer field they’re mostly marking a bit still.
    Those 4 are ai lim, sim, bb and sh.
    Cows are 2x sim x fr newry farm Del Boy
    1 lim stock bull and Hereford by sollpoll Kentucky

Base price wrote: »
    What bull is she by - AI or a stock bull. She is a beauty.

Thanks lad yea she’s ai sh matrix. Mammy is the one in the middle a sim x fr. She was huge side door job but hopefully be worth it I could stand watching that calf all day

Had a very close call here. Didn’t think this girl would calve tonight at all. Calf caught at the hips I thought he was dead and then when I was getting her into the head gate I saw the tongue moving. Manoeuvred him out with the jack. Beislin in him now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Just back from a neighbours there now. Cow with twins, second calf dead, upside down in a ball and the 4 legs coming together. Managed to get him straightened and out after an etirnety. My two arms are so dead I could hardly drive the jeep back up the road. Don't know how vets face into this every night.

Just back from a neighbours there now. Cow with twins, second calf dead, upside down in a ball and the 4 legs coming together. Managed to get him straightened and out after an etirnety. My two arms are so dead I could hardly drive the jeep back up the road. Don't know how vets face into this every night.

Hopefully the other twin will come good. We lost a twin calf early doors and had an ordeal getting the smaller one to suck. He’s flying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

14 left here. Got a bunch of animals out to grass this week too since the tanks are about to overflow.

I always tell myself that I have it easy, a vet could have several TB tests in a week along with multiple out calls with difficult calvings. Such a hard job, I try to do everything I can to help a vet when they are needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Lost another one now. Just too long calving.
    Got dragged into doing a job in the garden for mam when I landed in the yard. Should have gone and checked the ones out in the field first.

5 left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭50HX

2 more this morning, lm bull and fsz bull

V happy with seaweed meal.....calves are extremely vigorous

One dropped in the slats this mornin he was up and drinking by the time I got to him

5 left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

1 more here this morning, last of the first timers.
    3 more left to calve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

5 left here, 2 April, 2 May and 1 June 😡
    The last one is a pbr that broke after 2 months.

Been up at 4ish for the last four nights checking on Daisy. Her vulva is nearly touching her hocks but nothing stirring as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

Hey Mac,
    Two of my best cows repeated after two months last week,a head wreak.It happens to a couple every year but this year it had to be the two best dams.
    Does anyone know what causes this?cows well fed and getting minerals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

milligan2 wrote: »
    Hey Mac,
    Two of my best cows repeated after two months last week,a head wreak.It happens to a couple every year but this year it had to be the two best dams.

Happened here with a few cows. I'm thinking it could it be Lepto?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    Been up at 4ish for the last four nights checking on Daisy. Her vulva is nearly touching her hocks but nothing stirring as yet.

Well anything yet? What's she in calf to?

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Well anything yet? What's she in calf to?
    Nothing yet. I let one of the friesian bulls out to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Happened here with a few cows. I'm thinking it could it be Lepto?

I also had a number of cows repeat, some having been served a numbers of months.

They all had been vaccinated against Lepto.

Scanned autumn calving heifers yesterday. I not in calf but she was one that calved this time last year very young and had a really hard calving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Had a mental busy day. Had just put the feet up and said to myself I would check cameras before I poured myself a drink. And guess what. Cow with 2 weeks with her sick for calving. The Joy's of farming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

milligan2 wrote: »
    Hey Mac,

In my case, I don’t think she held to Ai and I missed her heats but who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Had to Jack out a lump of a ch heifer calf. All good. Calf up and sucking. Off to bed now

Another vet job. Waiting 45 minutes for him to come 3 miles up the road and still no sign

Another vet job. Waiting 45 minutes for him to come 3 miles up the road and still no sign

Hope everything ok

25 cows all calved unassisted but had a heifer today that was 3 hours getting nowhere. Had a tough time getting the feet out and then risked letting her out of the crush to push for another 30-40 mins. No progress so jacked out the calf. Heifer calf with a huge head, shoulders and hips were no problem. Having a bit of trouble standing so bottled some colostrum and going to check again in an hour. 11 left.

Calf number 20 arrived here last night at 3.00. Good, long lim bull calf. Cow has bad oul feet so I was a bit concerned but easy pull with the jack she has a huge back end. 8 left. Two sim Fr heifers that are very narrow. Would letting them out help to loosen them up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Can't beat calving outdoors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Timmaay wrote: »

Bar the time you see the calf sucking away and and say they'll be grand there till later and the fecker travels the country before you can catch him lol. Nice calf. Have had to Jack a few heifers calves this year so a bit slow to let the last 20 or so out. May let them out by day and bring in at night to let grass adjustment be easier as they calve

Have 3 calved outside here since yesterday. Going to round them up after dinner

Another set of twins today. Angus bull and heifer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

whelan2 wrote: »
    Another set of twins today. Angus bull and heifer

How many sets you have this year?

Lost a calf yesterday, spent the last month nursing it, was finaly starting to hold its own and has been out for the last week and thriving. But found it severly concused and bleeding from its nose early in the morning, brought it into the kitchen and it was dead soon after.

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    How many sets you have this year?

5 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

emaherx wrote: »
    Lost a calf yesterday, spent the last month nursing it, was finaly starting to hold its own and has been out for the last week and thriving. But found it severly concused and bleeding from its nose early in the morning, brought it into the kitchen and it was dead soon after.

Feck, sorry to hear that. Was it premature by any chance?

emaherx wrote: »

That’s the worst. One thing to lose them when tgey’re Born but to get them out alive and then lose them is very annoying

• Advertisement

Feck, sorry to hear that. Was it premature by any chance?

It was a little premature but had been doing great this last week. I'd say it got a kick trying to suck from one of the other cows.

That’s the worst. One thing to lose them when tgey’re Born but to get them out alive and then lose them is very annoying

Really is, I've lost 3 this season so far. One was a twin and only half the size of the surviving twin and the other was a great big calf that managed to bury its head in the silage and suffocated.

It's hard enough losing them due to sickness/weakness but it's always more annoying when they die because of some accident. Even more annoying that the one yesterday had got over a very shaky start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

+1 for that. Only starting to calve my sucklers now. Let them out last week to a rough paddock and strip grazing it, grass and rushes. Bring them in once a day for soya, pre Calver mineral and a pick of hay. Went down this afternoon and a heifer had just calves, calf up and sucking. Hard to beat outdoors for cow and calf health.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

+1 for that. Only starting to calve my sucklers now. Let them out last week to a rough paddock and strip grazing it, grass and rushes. Bring them in once a day for soya, pre Calver mineral and a pick of hay. Went down this afternoon and a heifer had just calves, calf up and sucking. Hard to beat outdoors for cow and calf health.
    its a great job when things go right,but some headache when it doesn’t especially at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

High bike wrote: »
    its a great job when things go right,but some headache when it doesn’t especially at night
    Pull out the ones close and leave them in a shed with camera at night. Being flexible is the key. Hard weather they can stay in for a day or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Have 10 cows that have calved out by day and in at night getting silage. They've gone through 3 mineral licks in a month. Maybe its the time of year/no grass yet but to me that seems an awful lot. What do ye think?

• Advertisement

RD10 wrote: »
    Have 10 cows that have calved out by day and in at night getting silage. They've gone through 3 mineral licks in a month. Maybe its the time of year/no grass yet but to me that seems an awful lot. What do ye think?

I dont buy the buckets from one particular crowd anymore. Too much molasses in it.

Great when it all goes well but lost some magnificent calves that way too so its been all indoors now in recent years.

I think its the licks cause they barely last a few days now. The cows are constantly shoving it each other out of the way to gorge on them. Before they'd last much longer but now I have to make a note when they finished and wait a week or two so before another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Another calf by fiston this evening. Handy size calf. Very lively. Up and sucking within the hour.
    First year trying him out on a few cows.
    Very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jd06

Another calf by fiston this evening. Handy size calf. Very lively. Up and sucking within the hour.
    First year trying him out on a few cows.
    Very impressed.

Is he easily calved.
    I have a handy sized cow in calf to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Fiston is the business for anyone who doesn't want to spend the calving season hanging of the end of a calving jack. His calves are light boned when born but don't be long shaping up. He works best on taller cows and is easy calved on cows i find.

• Advertisement
Advertisement