Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of mountain bog land? ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

sweet feck all i'd say. but how long is a piece of string, like how mountainy how boggy? Anything from 3k down to less than 500!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

lalababa wrote: »
    sweet feck all i'd say. but how long is a piece of string, like how mountainy how boggy? Anything from 3k down to less than 500!

Hi,

Thanks for that. But would Coilte not be interested in it for forestry, and so would this not raise the bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

Depends where you are. €400 pa in Donegal roundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

Red Soup wrote: »
    Depends where you are. €400 pa in Donegal roundabouts

sorry, is that €400 per acre? is this purchase price? I take it that land would be unusable for anything else? unable to bring a tractor on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Hi,

Thanks for that. But would Coilte not be interested in it for forestry, and so would this not raise the bar?

I thought the folly of draining "bogland" (which sequesters about four times as much carbon as the Amazonian rain forest) had been understood by now. You will find information on present and future management of Ireland's most precious resource under a number of categories on government website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Chisler2 wrote: »
    I thought the folly of draining "bogland" (which sequesters about four times as much carbon as the Amazonian rain forest) had been understood by now. You will find information on present and future management of Ireland's most precious resource under a number of categories on government website.

Don't see where the Op said they were planning to drain said 'bog' land?

The land maybe simply 'boggy' meaning very wet and not actually classified as either blanket bog or raised bog.

If its bog and in a mountainous area - its likley blanket bog which is made up of a very shallow layer of peat overlying rock.

Not sure where you figures are from - but looks like you are referring to undisturbed lowland raised bogland. Unlikely to be found in these types of areas tbh.

Interestingly grassland is also acknowledged by the the European environmental agency as an extremly valuable carbon sink

Btw Coilte is a semi state run body administrated by the government. Perhaps you should have a word with them about some of your concerns...

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Agree no use was identified by the OP but I was responding to this turn of the thread. :-

gozunda wrote: »
    Don't see where the Op said they were planning to drain said 'bog' land?

The land maybe simply 'boggy' meaning very wet and not actually classified as either blanket bog or raised bog.

If its bog and in a mountainous area - its likley blanket bog which is made up of a very shallow layer of peat overlying rock.

Not sure where you figures are from - but looks like you are referring to undisturbed lowland raised bogland. Unlikely to be found in these types of areas tbh.

Interestingly grassland is also acknowledged by the the European environmental agency as an extremly valuable carbon sink

Btw Coilte is a semi state run body administrated by the government. Perhaps you should have a word with them about some of your concerns...

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭slogging...it

Hi,

Sorry for resurfacing this thread but I read the price pa and it intrigued me.

Could somebody please point me the direction of land for sale at that price I cant find anything myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

Hi,

Sorry for resurfacing this thread but I read the price pa and it intrigued me.

Could somebody please point me the direction of land for sale at that price I cant find anything myself.

http://henrykee.ie/Property-For-Sale/Belnabinna-Doochary-Co-Donegal/4009

Ring Henry and he'll tell you this land is for sale at €100,000. Put in a cash offer of 50k and the owner will take it. One of many examples if you look around. A lot of the land around here goes for cash for way lower than the stated prices are. Not being local doesn't help though

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

Hi I’m looking about a mountain to buy or some land I can buy at less than 1000 / acre. Anyone no of any lump of land ? I need 400 acres. Couple of spots would be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Hi I’m looking about a mountain to buy or some land I can buy at less than 1000 / acre. Anyone no of any lump of land ? I need 400 acres. Couple of spots would be ok
    Just start looking in your local mountainy areas on DAFT I would think, an hours scrolling should throw up a few options. If your not handy on the Internet, ring a few auctioneers in the nearest town to your chosen mountain range. I'm quite sure that they'll bite the hand off you if you're paying €1000/acre for €500/acre land and they should easily fill your 400 acre order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Just start looking in your local mountainy areas on DAFT I would think, an hours scrolling should throw up a few options. If your not handy on the Internet, ring a few auctioneers in the nearest town to your chosen mountain range. I'm quite sure that they'll bite the hand off you if you're paying €1000/acre for €500/acre land and they should easily fill your 400 acre order.
    BTW I'd say you'd no longer be eligible to be categorised as a smallholder with 400 acres, you surely should have graduated to the farming and forestry forum.

Advertisement