Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the waters and the wild

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Quick question for you,
    How do you find the Asics with the BOA closure?
    I've previously ran in Zoots which are out of the box comfy sockless but I've never been comfortable with the lock laces having tried a few.
    Sportsshoes have the 451s for £60 at the moment too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I just bought them runners on sportsshoes too, only short experience with them but I like them. Inside seems to be seam free and your foot is well covered, can't find any spots that may can irritation or blistering but I haven't run bare foot in them yet either. The boa works well, they weren't great out of the box and took some messing around with them to figure out how best to set it up so that it pulls evenly across the shoe. At the start it seemed to be pulling more across the toes than at the top. very good though once you get that sorted, I'd say you would need to keep an eye on it and make sure when you set up T1 that they are done right, so probably a little more prep than just the lock laces but overall I'm very happy with them so far.

Might be a little cheaper on wiggle at the moment, I got mine for 50 euro on sportsshoes.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=451+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

^Joey covers it perfectly.

I got severe pain on the top of my foot after a few days wearing them- never experienced such intense sickly pain actually! It disappeared after a couple of days and I swore off the shoes. Since worn them loads of times and I think the pain was caused by the BOA closing too tight at the top. Now I find them easy to adjust, super quick to put on and more comfortable than lock laces. I'd buy another pair.

*I usually wear size EU46/47, with these I need EU48

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Thanks lads, I've read the reviews and have gone up a size.
    Thanks for the Wiggle tip too, Sportsshoes like to stick the boot in on postage

Thanks lads, I've read the reviews and have gone up a size.
    Thanks for the Wiggle tip too, Sportsshoes like to stick the boot in on postage

€42.45 on runnerinn.com ORDER05 promo for another 5% off
    (since you reminded me to buy another pair!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I bought my usual size and find them maybe a tad big, must be just different shape feet!

Check the reviews for that site Kurt, I know some of their sister sites get terrible reviews.

Catch up for last week. I wasn't feeling great for much of it, with a cold/fatigue, but thankfully over with now.

Mon 15min yoga, 45min run, 60min Masters
    Run:
    30min easy,
    15min build to steady
    Masters:
    400 WU
    10*(20m MAX free, 30m pace, 10s)
    16*(25 single arm free, 25 long stroke, 10s)
    16*(25 IMO, 25 pace, 10s)
    200 CD

Tue 40min S&C, 30min run
    Run:
    15min very easy
    15min build with good form

Wed 10min yoga, 1:30 easy turbo; 30min run
    Felt crap today so kept both run and turbo easy

Thurs 45min run
    Kept all the effort low, cold seems to be getting better but its causing a definite strain on the engine.

Fri 10min yoga, 40min turbo; 30min run
    Turbo:
    Main 5*(2min PE6, 1min EZ)
    Run:Went to up the pace towards the end and a tight hammer put me back in my box.

Sat 30min easy run
    Really bad nights sleep and I felt fatigued starting this run so I kept it slow and cut it short.

Sun 30min run; 2 hours SLS training
    Run: Started easy, and kept everything else at a very manageable pace. Felt much much better today, the cold/fatigue have gone.
    Swim: SLS training in UCD pool
    Lots of kick, lots of fins, some back, some IM... really great pool to swim in.

A decent, solid week, but pool air issues meant missed swims. Need to focus on the Fastlane for a while.

Mon 15min yoga, 45min run, 40min Masters
    Run:
    30min easy,
    15min build to steady
    Masters:
    2*(200free, 100IMO)
    16*50 (25hard, 25 easy)
    16*(25 IMO hard, 25IMO easy)
    50 free in 35s

aborted the rest of the session with breathing problems

Tue 40min S&C, 30min run
    Run:
    15min very easy
    15min build with good form
    Very cold night around the streets of Courtown, finished down by the pitch black shoreline, the Milky Way clear and majestic. Makes you appreciate what it’s all about.

Wed 15min yoga, 35min run
    The daylight got away from me so I had to drive to a nearby town for streetlights. After the half hour easy I decided to switch the longer planned run to tomorrow; hard to see the sidewalk in places and I didn't want to trip when running faster.

Thurs 40min S&C, 70min run
    This was swapped from last night (30min easy, 30min build, 10min 4:10pace). Very wet and mucky up in the forest, but grand once you get going. Felt good throughout, the ground was soft and probably slowed the pace for the effort involved.

Fri 10min yoga, 70min turbo; 30min run
    Turbo:
    Main: 4 * 8 mins at 7-8 PE with 2 mins between recovery
    Run:Easy run at twilight into a low sun going out, gazing at the snow covered mountains coming back. There might be forty shades of green but there are thousand shades of white.

Sat 15min yoga, 120min hill run
    With the amount of snow and ice around these parts, I opted against any faster running in case of slips. Instead I got in a good hilly run around the snow-covered Kyle loop from Tinahely. Very icy running up the first lane, then into the snow trails, trying to follow where the sheep had already marked. It was pretty deep and a tough slog up through the drifts on the leeward side, but very rewarding to be out again in the slow.

Sun 10min yoga, 90 min turbo; 30min run; 1.5 hours SLS training
    Turbo: 4*{4*(1min <70RPM, 1min >90RPM), 4min easy}
    15min 260W+
    Run: Easy recovery run- the trails were nice and soft after the thaw, perfect for recovery.
    Swim: SLS training

Last two weeks catchup

Not much point in logging the sessions- suffice to say I was going well and the run in particular had improved (so much that the coach commented), and straight afterwards I had 5 days wiped out with a bad cold. Two steps forward, one step back... took a few days off and that ended my 30min/day run streak that started Dec 1st. I was feeling good the past few days but I think a recent spin on my road bike tweaked a hip flexor muscle (saddle probably a little high) so again I'll take a day or two...

Otherwise all is good- I'm down to 87kg and with 10 weeks to go until the Aquathlon in Spain, I'm confident of holding my own for the 1k swim, and a low 19:xx 5k run. Just need to continue doing what I'm doing (regular training, good diet).

There are a few goals before then, starting with the Stillwater Surf Lifesaving Champs in Limerick next weekend... basically a sport that has been developed based around lifeguarding. Its huge in Aus/NZ, big on the continent, and also a fierce inter-county rivalry in Ireland! We've (Wexford) been training regularly for the past few months and looking forward to next weekend. All sports are swelled through competition and this one is no different. Should be fun!

The following weekend is the Masters LC Champs gala in Limerick. Hand on heart, this will be my arena over the next few years- but not in 2019. Pool issues in Arklow have meant I've missed too many sessions, and I'll need to examine other pools for the future. This is a real pity as the coach and gang in Arklow are second to none- competition in your lane to drive you on, good advice from faster lanes, and general camaraderie all round. I've ditched the 1,500 on Friday as my 23:xx goal is lost. The rest of the gala will be for fun- its always fun- and although I won't set any pb's, I'll be sharp enough over the shorter stuff.

Onwards and upwards; always onwards and upwards...

Last week

I didn't do any running or biking at all last week. My hip flexor strain was still "evident"- not severe enough to stop training, but I know my history with these type of injuries and I wanted it time to heal before embarking into the next few months training. It's frustrating to miss the sessions, but the strain is unnoticeable now, and come race season I'll be glad of this caution.

Otherwise the week was all about prepping for the Stillwater NC's, which were on this weekend in Limerick. Saturday was all about the kids, and I got to watch some brilliant swimming throughout the day. Some of the skills on display were inspiring. Junior had a good day, and his last race in particular had me beaming in proud dad mode. The 100m Rescue Medley race has contestants sprint 50m first to the wall, then you have to turn and swim 17m underwater to pull up a manikin submerged 3m down, and carry it to the finish. It's a brutal spectator sport, as many swimmers have to submerge for air before their 17m (and are DQ'ed), but thankfully Junior managed to emerge gasping, but with his manikin, and had a strong finish.

The next day was the turn of us Masters. We had a big group from Wexford, there were large numbers throughout with notable turnouts from traditional powerhouse Counties like Cork, Clare, and Waterford. Several of my Masters swim buddies were togged out in Wicklow caps, ensuring good rivalry and banter throughout the day. A lot of the events can be quite technical and time can be won or lost when turning, or picking up a manikin (dummy). In triathlon terms think of time won or lost during transition, however these races are so tight that a half second makes the difference between medals (as I found out throughout the day!).

Line throw relay
    One competitor sits in the pool 17m from the bank and holds the end of a rope, another standing on the bank must then reel in the rope, and cast it back out to the swimmer to catch, who then furiously kicks while the rope is hauled back to shore. Much can go wrong for the poor rope thrower and unfortunately our rope ended up in a knot and so a DQ for this first event.

100m obstacle race
    Barriers are hung from the lane ropes at 17m and 36m, and you have to swim the 100m while ducking under them (they are 75cm deep). Its very hard to keep momentum for this event, I wasn't doing too bad before I messed up the last barrier and came to a halt... still finished in 3rd place but missed out on silver by fractions of a second.

4*50m obstacle relay
    Everyone swims under two barriers and hits the wall... we had a decent enough team but were just edged out of the medals for 4th place.

50m manikin carry
    You dive and swim 25m to a manikin submerged 3m down, and then haul it to the end. So much depends on the correct angle pushing off from the bottom of the pool. I didn't do too bad but again it's a very tight race and another bronze

100m manikin carry with fins
    Wearing fins this time, you sprint 50m to the end, where a manikin sits at the bottom of the pool. There is a technique to starting the manikin's lift as you turn at the bottom, and I did alright with this. Possibly could have swim a bit harder while carrying the manikin back (my heart was still pumping from the prior race!) but I did enough to bag a silver in this one.

100m manikin tow with fins
    You start with a rescue tube roped around your shoulder, and must then swim 50m to the floating manikin, loop the tube around its shoulders, and tow it back to the the end. A lot can go wrong during this, the wrap around is especially difficult as you are all thumbs while trying to clip the loop around (while breathing heavily, underwater and under pressure!). I started well, sprinting at just the right effort to still function at the wall... grabbed the manikin, wrapped the tube around, and thankfully managed to clip it in first time (something I'd practiced a lot so was happy with the outcome). Now I just had to swim like crazy while towing it behind me... I spied another swimmer perhaps 5m ahead two lanes over, and started to sprint hard. By halfway up the pool I had caught him, and knowing this was the final event, I absolutely emptied the tank for the rest. I still vividly remember this part of the race as every second slowed down in the pain of effort, legs pumping and arms turning over at a ferocious rate. Probably happier hitting this wall than any other time in my swimming career, having had the most complete race to date. I won't lie, I was immensely happy afterwards when this effort was rewarded with gold in my AG.

Overall it was a good fun weekend, and a good way to complete the training we had been doing. Our team did well (haven't seen the overall results yet), and as mentioned earlier the atmosphere was fantastic throughout, very friendly and very fun. I'm hoping for more of the same during the LC gala next weekend, but its not a gala I've been targeting this year. Tri training will resume later today with the immediate goal of the ITU aquathlon champs at the end of April, and the domestic tri season to follow. After that I'll have to make a decision- as much as I enjoy tri, I'm drawn more and more to pool competition, and am considering focussing on that as I cross over to a new AG next year.

• Advertisement

Mon 85min run; 30min Fastlane; 60min Masters
    With a view to keeping the HR low, and enjoying this Spring day , I did a loop of the Annagh hill race circuit to check out conditions. Pretty dry up there, some of the trails a bit stoney from 4X4's, but a great place to be and a good way to restart my run training.

Fastlane:
    10min @ 1:36pace
    10min @ 1:30pace
    10min @ 1:26pace

Masters:
    400WU
    3 sets of
    {
    4*75 pb, 10s
    4*(25k,25drill,25fist, 10s)
    4*(12.5 max, 12.5 easy, 10s)
    }
    400 swim down
    Just after I finished my Fastlane, I got a text that the masters set was easy drill based tonight so I headed to the pool as I had to go to the store anyway. Pool air quality wasn't that bad, but I didn't go too hard for too long anywhere, and I opted out of doing the middle set fly.

Tue 40min turbo; 7k easy run
    Main: 5 * {1 min 'on' @ PE 9-10, 2 min easy}

Wed 45min run
    30 easy, 15 steady

Thurs 1:05 turbo; 6k run
    Both kept at easy effort

Fri 30min fastlane; 30min easy run
    10min steady 1:40pace
    10*(1min IMO) 1:40 pace
    10min steady 1:40pace
    Easy stretch in the pool before tomorrows gala

Sat Limerick Nat Masters Champs
    200 IM circa3:40 (DQ)
    50.02 1:51.73 3:00.67 circa3:40
    Died after 25m on the fly, steady for the back, useless BS, and finished with an ok free but was DQ'd. Turns were ok, can only think I must have taken 2 fly kicks when starting the breast.

200 Medley relay
    49.5 for the fly, again dying towards the end.

100 free 1:16
    35.70, 1:16.70
    Started off steady and was hurting towards the end. Pretty poor time but all I had on the day.

200 back 4:03
    59.19 2:00.19 3:03.09 4:03.21
    Just took this steady throughout and concentrated on not getting DQ'd for turns. Not muck kick evident.

50 free 34.01
    Goal was under 33s so I'm disappointed at not being able to achieve anywhere close to this. Took a chance and tried only 4 breaths throughout.

200free relay 35.36

Straight away back onto the blocks for the first leg of the relay. Tried BE4 for this one but I was wrecked and the last 15m took forever, beat at the end.

Overall a pretty disappointing gala (good craic though), but just rewards for my lack of pool time. I'm going to fix this immediately and spend a lot more time in the fastlane and pool. There are highs and lows in sport, and it's important to learn from both. Today was a low, but hopefully a spur to a better place.
    Fantastic atmosphere down there, Limerick Masters really put on a great show. Good to see MCOS there as well!

Sun 40min Fastlane; 1:30 LSR

Fastlane:
    5min WU 1:40 pace
    (main set all 1:20 pace)
    50m, 10s
    100m, 10s
    150m, 20s
    200m, 30s
    250m, 40s
    300m, 40s
    250m, 40s
    200m, 30s
    150m, 20s
    100m, 10s
    50m, 10s
    5min CD 1:36pace

Got up early and motivated and hit the pool for a decent session. Pace in the Fastlane is probably as flattered as pace on a treadmill, but either way it was more productive than an extra hour in bed.

Run: 1:20 easy, 10min steady
    Having been absent for yesterdays gala, today I obeyed all family commitments. Thankfully some of those commitments included "drop us at Dundrum shopping and piss off for two hours" so I managed a very nice run around Marlay park in the lashing rain. This was the old stomping ground when I was a chisler with Dundrum AC so its always good to revisit the trails.

Catching up...

The first two weeks of March were sporadic and I missed a lot of training. Business has been hectic and a huge amount of work arrived in a very short space of time (thank you Brexit people...), that had to take precedence. It culminated with three days without any training; not ideal but nothing I could really do about it. Onwards and upwards...

Tue 19th March 45min run; 30min Fastlane
    Run: 30 mins easy, 15 mins steady to strong
    Swim: 30min @ 1:36 pace

Wed 1:10 turbo

Thurs 54min Fastlane
    5 mins warm up @ 1:36 pace
    15*200m in 3:00, 15s rest between each

Fri 45min hill run easy
    I'm directing Annagh Hill race on the 31st so scouted a few routes.

Sat 1:10 run
    Easy/steady early morning run

Sun 1:30 turbo; 1:30 SLS training
    Main turbo:
    3 * {12 min at 7-8 PE High Tempo effort,5 min easy}
    20 * {20' at 110 RPM+, 20' easy}
    Swim:
    400m WU
    2*100 IMO
    4*100k (alt 25 pace, 25 hard)
    4*50 in 45, 15s
    2*100 in 1:40, 15s
    1*200 in 3:20
    4*50 fins (25underwater, 25sprint)
    2*50 manikin carry with fins
    2*25 manikin carry
    Balance other SLS
    I felt very strong in the water for some reason- I've no right to with my recent lack of swimming, but there you go. Fly in particular was very strong.

Mon 44min run, 60min Masters
    Run: 30 mins easy, 15 mins steady to strong
    The pace started to creep up after 20mins easy and I was on the track in Arklow so I just ran by feel, and I felt good throughout and finished steady enough.
    Swim:
    400WU
    16*25 fast (every fourth pace), 15s
    15*50 pb & paddles (alt single arm, swim), 15s
    600 pb alt BE 3,5,7 every 25
    250 hypoxic 3,2,1,0,0,0,0,1,2,3
    Back in Arklow pool so kept any effort moderate

Tue 1:22 turbo; 30min easy run
    Main turbo:
    4 sets of {
    4 * {
    1 min @ 60-70 RPM ... 10-15% below FTP
    1 min @ 90-100 RPM .. 10-15% over FTP
    }
    4 mins easy
    }
    15 mins steady at 260 WATTS
    Felt good, had to take an email during the 15mins so missed some W target

Run:Felt very tired, almost fell asleep during (bad nights sleep last night)

Wed
    40min S&C, 30min run after; 60min hill trot/walk
    Run: Started out lethargic, Junior beside me had to be held back. Gradually increased the pace and by the end we were traveling at a nice clip without too much effort. Felt better at the end than the start.
    Later a very easy jog/trot around Annagh hill, chopping a few branches before this weekends race

Thurs 1:10 turbo

Fri 45mins Fastlane; 40min S&C, 30min hill run

Fastlane:
    5m 1:36 pace
    5*1:32 @ 1:32pace, 3s
    30s
    5*1:27 @ 1:27pace, 3s
    30s
    5*1:22 @ 1:22pace, 3s
    30s
    5*1:18 @ 1:18pace, 2s
    30s
    5m 1:36 pace

Run: I'm directing an IMRA race on Annagh Hill at the weekend so went out to mark some of it, on a fantastic evening to be out there. We are very lucky to have such a brilliant hill nearby, its chock full of magic routes and incredible views.

Sat 1:10 run; 1:10 mountain bike

Brought Junior to swimming early and got my run in. Great morning to be out and as ever its always a joy to drive back afterwards, only 9:30am on a Saturday but I've gotten in a decent run and him an even decenter swim.

Later on I took the mountain bike onto Annagh Hill for some more marking. Met a local gent walking the hill who was praising the fresh air and views- "Better to be out here free than in a Dublin highrise cooped up like a bloody canary!" was how he put it, and its hard to argue with that wisdom :) All set for a good race tomorrow.

It's been fun posting here the past few years- I've got loads more out of this forum than I've put it, and made a lot of good friends and acquaintances. Many thanks especially to Dory for instilling a love of the water, I'm eternally grateful for her help and input and it was genuinely life-changing. Hope to play that forward, always.

Time to move on now, good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What's the plan Paul?

You've contributed a lot and brought a lot of value. Thank you.

All the best for future endeavours.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kurt Godelfish

Bless me Father for I have sinned. Its been three years since my last confession and these are my sins...

I ate too much I drank too much I took the Lords name in vain. That's about it, so a quick catch up...

2020/21/22- Can't even remember if I did any races, I'm sure I did but nothing stands out. Probably got more value out of sea swimming than anything. Oh yeah that reminds me, I did have a real life experience last summer, swimming in Ballymoney, 1K into my swim I became aware of something banging my toes... swam to my turnaround point at 2K and shortly experienced the same feeling... looked aside and saw a seal flanking me. Kept swimming until I noticed movement underneath, and before I realised the seal pushed her full body against mine. In the cold water it felt like warmth enveloping, and she proceeded to lift up and knock me clear out of the water. I was a little dazed and we eyeballed each other for a while (I spoke to her like a dog, telling her to cut it out and go home). Anyway she started nudging again so I had to swim to shore. Magical, and I'd like to think there was some cross-species communication and respect going on.

2023- Into the new year fat and well-watered, nothing odd there. I decided to target the National LC pool Champs in March, and then move on to Triathlon training, so thats what I've been doing. No beer, eat well, train hard. I'm really lucky with the Masters group I swim with, great crowd for motivation and chat, and some serious swimmers to aspire to. With some hard work over the past few months I'm swimming better that ever (recent gala at Sundays Well brought pb's for 50 (32.24) 200 (1:38:17) and 100IM (1:35:36)), but the real goal is the 1500 in Limerick where I hope to break 24min.

Once that's over, start into run training again towards and initial goal of National Aquathlon Champs in May Lough Cutra, and into National Series after that. Probably tick the IM box in Youghal just to complete, otherwise just to have fun and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

I see you’re sandbagging as usual with your Limerick entry time :) Might see you down there - not sure if I’m going, have an a Achilles problem and haven’t kicked in a swim set in 5 months.

Mentions sandbagging; then sandbags himself :) Yeah my 26min entry was based on how I was operating in Jan. A lot of swimming since then (plus paying attention to diet) has me hitting times I've never hit before. But if you want sandbagging just look at the time B Free*an entered :)

Hope to see you down there in any case, sure your kick was always shite anyway :)

God I hate this new forum, can't quote properly, random italics; its no wonder no-one posts anymore. Doubt I'll last very long either this iteration but will try for a while... this used to be a fantastic Tri forum and personally I got a huge amount out of the advice I got here.

Thurs 23rd Feb 2,200m pool

400WU 

9*50 (25 drill, 25 good stroke) 

6*100 (desc 1-3) 

6*50 (build from steady to MAX) 

block starts and relay change practice

Warm up was 6:08 which I'd have been happy with in a TT a few months back. Holding good form when you swim is more important than chasing times with bad form. The rest was all short and sharp, with a week to go we are all eager to hone any potential time savers. Learned an awful lot about block starts (use gravity in your fall before pushing off) and relay changeover. Good fun.

Sound like you're flying. What have you changed stroke wise since last March when we last spoke in Limerick?

I haven't done any sort of speed work this year. I'm targeting Windemere end to end this year so it's all been about volume since January. The damaged Achilles has stopped me running and biking since August. First time back on the bike was last weekend and first time kicking in the pool was yesterday and based on the result I don't think I'll drive all the way to Limerick to drown. I last kicked in a swim when I did the Liffey and Alcatraz on consecutive Saturdays last last year.

• Advertisement

Stoke: I put a mirror in my little pool and it was immediately evident that my left arm was dropping on the catch. So focused on keeping a high elbow catch brought immediate improvements. Which quickly fed into better streamline position, which helped my kick, which helped my streamline... Also got a good tip from one of the lads in the lane about turning my shoulder into the catch, that seemed to help. From that point I was better able to stay on the back of them during fast 100's and 200's (I would do 150, they are much faster) but swimming with faster swimmers, even if you are catching a draft, shows you the form needed to swim faster. One thing led into another, and I have upped the volume the past couple of months. Compared to last March when I hadn't been doing much at all: chalk and cheese.

Alcatraz! Now there's a story I'd like to hear about! And Windemere is a great target to have too, some real bucket list stuff going on there Griff! :)

Fri 24th 3,200 swim

Eddie Reese ladder set

1*500 

2*400 

2*300 

4*200 

5*100 

alternate swim/pb each rep

I missed one of the 300's through pool mathematics but otherwise all good. Faster than last week (1:32 average vs 1:34 average)

National LC pool Champs Limerick March 3rd/4th

1500 23:38 (bronze in AG)

This was my only goal for these Championships, training had been going very well and I was confident of a good performance on the day. There were at least 4 lads who have consistently beaten me in this event over the years, but my focus was on a medal, and that's been keeping me going during the hard yards in the pool the past few months. I was seeded in a slow heat, mostly because of a declared 26:20 entry time which proved to be way too cautious (I had swam 26:08 while unfit last year). Plan was to swim first 500 calm, maintain form for middle 500, and ramp up the pace towards the end. A finish time that was over 24mins would have meant disappointment, but it is hard to gauge your progress during the race- there are no pace aids allowed so no watches and only a miniscule clock on the scoreboards that was too hard to see from my lane. Without currently knowing my splits for the race, I'd say my start went to plan- first 200 was neck and neck with the lad in lane next door, who soon drifted off as I maintained my pace and form. There were lap counters as you turned at the far wall but I opted not to look at them, trusting my new mantra- "form is everything"- would suffice. I counted lengths to 500m and was happy that form could be maintained, without pushing just yet. The "middle" 500 didn't appear to be dragging or anything, and everything seemed consistent as I counted into the wall for what I thought was 950m gone, another 50 and I could start to push the pace... and I hear the bell as I turn. Since I was first in this heat it could only be for me. Quickly put on the jets and started to sprint, as I realised I only had 100 to go... my first glance at the lane counter at next wall confirmed there was only one length to go, and I turned and emptied the tank, realising that somewhere during the middle 500 I had started to count each lap as 50 rather than 100. Hit the wall panting, turned and was immediately elated to see a PB of 23:38, well under my target, but then creeping disappointment that I had left so much in the tank. The 1500 is an odd race though, its rare you pace it perfect, and its easy to go out too hard and blow up. So in retrospect I achieved my goal (bagged a bronze) through steady pace and maintaining good form, although left wondering if greater race awareness might have found those extra 30 seconds that would have brought silver? No way of knowing, need to take the enjoyment of hitting a goal, and move on to the next target.

200IM 3:31 (DQ)

I had chosen "fun" events for the Saturday gala, so that nothing would distract from the main goal 1500. So this IM was very much in this vein- no specific stroke work, no expectations. Fly was pretty bad, willing the wall to come over the last 10 meters; back went pretty well and I made up a few places; Breast is my worst stroke but allowed for some recovery; before emptying for the last 50 free. Results showed me as DQ (don't know why but there are loads of technical ways to DQ in IM) but I would have been 4th anyway so no big deal.

Mens & Mixed IM relay 4*50

Swam back leg for both of these (in rapid succession!), the first my goggles started to come off throughout the race (that's never happened in back before), but I swam well and managed to do ok for someone who hasn't swam back in months. The second I was still panting as I got into the water, probably a little slower this time but still did ok.

100 free (1:14)

Arms and legs were tired at this stage, but no opportunity to hide as I was drawn in a lane beside a younger, hungrier club mate. He's better than me at sprints, I have the edge with distance, so knew it would be a dogfight. Coming up from the dive he had a body length, which was more than I expected, and began pulling away with strong acceleration. I started to reel him slightly coming to the turn, but he turned better and opened the gap. This last 50 was hard and tough battle, my distance advantage only starting to work over the last quarter but he wasn't for catching and finished 2 secs ahead. But I'm happy enough with my time.

50 free (33)

Nothing much to say about this, decent start but just didn't have the power in my body at that stage to better 33 seconds.

Mens & Mixed free relay 4*50

Straight after the 50free, still panting, and one straight after the other- its a good frantic way to end the day on a high and I swam around 33/34 for these so can't complain.

Overall a great couple of days, Limerick Masters put on a real spectacle, really enjoyed it. I'm swimming faster than I ever have, there's another gala in Ulster in May I might continue to train for, but right now the main goal changed to the National Aquathlon Champs in May, so need to start running again.

Training is still going well, mainly in the pool but starting to run again. First run "session" in ages, 3*1km on the treadmill and I was counting down each km from 100m in... not sure of the pace/distance as its a treaddie but the effort was there, and perceived effort is what its all about.

Next goals are Ulster Masters gala in late May, and then Lough Cutra NC Aquathlon. 1500 in Ulster is last swim of the day so I've entered the 100 also as a warm up. The aim is DFIU and at least count the laps correctly (also a 50m pool), and I really should take a chunk off my Limerick time. Swimming is going well at the moment, coach reckons I'm close to a breakthrough due to ongoing stroke improvements, and I'd be really (really really) happy if I managed to hold 1:30/100 pace and hit 22:30 for 1,500 once in this lifetime. Lough Cutra is the following week- all going well I should have no problem exiting high in the swim (its only 750 though, would prefer a standard 1km) and if I get my running going to a sub 21min 5k that should bring a medal.

If you've working towards a 22.30 1,500m LC that's a great time and a hell of an improvement. That would be good enough for Summer Nationals consideration if you were 13 😊................................ I jest, I am very envious.

What's your 100m like? I do recall many moons ago it been said around these parts that an adult learner couldn't expect to hit 1.10 for 100m.

I'm stuck in a bit of a rut myself, don't seem to be making any improvements. I'm certainly nowhere near your times. I am doing no speed work or group sessions however, all very steady longer distances (180km year to date, I want to have at least 400km done by end of August for Windemere). At least my achilles injury seems to be just about sorted (fingers crossed).

I must start doing some Masters sessions. My wife also bought me a Swim Smooth video analysis for my birthday so really looking forward to seeing how that goes.

100m time from Limerick in March was 1:14, I'd expect to go under 1:10 if I was training for sprints instead of distance. I've got a good frame for a sprinter, so while that's an obvious advantage over shorter swimmers, 1:10 should be doable by anyone here if they train hard enough for it- although breaking 5:30 for 400 would be more useful for triathlon. Darragh McDonald broke 5mins for the 400, his coach says he trained harder than anyone else over the years. Personally I'm finding rewards from volume but the guys in my lane are a good bit faster and that helps you up the game too.

Glad you're over the injury, best of luck getting fit for Windemere- will no doubt bump into you at a few sea races over the summer!

Advertisement