Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General A&R Cool Videos Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Incredible :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Charlie Brooker: Videogames Changed the World
    Channel4 9pm Sat 30 Nov

I enjoyed his Gameswipe show from a while back, will be watching this. Nice retro themed ad too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I dont know if anyone else would be into their old school wrestling but here's a series I've been watching the last bit on youtube

Its a few lads from Ireland who have a podcast about old wrestling PPVs. I do find it really good and for anyone else who grew up watching this stuff they are a really good watch.

http://www.youtube.com/OSWreviewHD

Seen this posted on You Nostalgia You Lose. It's something else...I don't even...

Edit - Ah, magic dust was used
    Tool Assisted - these games are played using a emulator at super slow speeds and save states

On the topic of Speedruns, check out this guy doing OoT in 22 mins. He uses a glitch to allow you to complete the game as child link & bypass most of everything in it

I think it's been done even quicker again since then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I realise that I'm shilling my own stuff here but I'd like to think that some of you have been following these tutorials.

Anyway here's episode three of Raspberry Pi Ally:

Finally, every two weeks eh? :p Quick one for you, have you used XBMC on a Pi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Myrddin wrote: »

I've used XBMC on it (both the older and newer board revisions) and its not bad. I say not bad in that its pretty good considering what you are running it on and how much you paid for it(no much).
    But would I use it as my media hub? No way.

I love the Rasp Pi and was certainly one of the early adopters on it. But I wouldn't recommend it as a main media player. Maybe for a kids room or something like that. Cheap and cheerful and pretty tough in the right case.

That was the plan until my previous bluetooth adapter fried itself, The Raspberry Pi went missing (cheers for that Mrs. Achilles), the laptop being smashed and all manner of things that happened over the past 5 week period.

I managed to produce that episode pretty quickly once I had a replacement laptop to work with though.

I haven't yet tried out XBMC on the RPi but it's one of the things I will be experimenting with over the next few weeks in preparation for the next tutorial.

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    I've used XBMC on it (both the older and newer board revisions) and its not bad. I say not bad in that its pretty good considering what you are running it on and how much you paid for it(no much).
    But would I use it as my media hub? No way.

I love the Rasp Pi and was certainly one of the early adopters on it. But I wouldn't recommend it as a main media player. Maybe for a kids room or something like that. Cheap and cheerful and pretty tough in the right case.

Ah drat, really? I've been looking at some XBMC installation vids etc & it seemed to be a decent enough platform to run it on. What is the problem with it Steve, juddering/framerate type thing?

Ah drat, really? I've been looking at some XBMC installation vids etc & it seemed to be a decent enough platform to run it on. What is the problem with it Steve, juddering/framerate type thing?

To me it just seems always a little sloooooooow to work. I've tried a couple of the latest XBMC builds for it as well.

Do you want to borrow one of my Raspberry Pi's and see what you think of it?
    I've got a couple of spare ones at the moment that haven't been put into a project yet. They have mini heatsinks on them as well as a bit of dodgy soldering :D (to add a reset button).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

Normal Person: "Oooo what a nice couch, that would make an excellent sitting device."
    Ashens: "Ooooo, that would make an excellent recording set!"

Achilles you are one super enthusiastic mofo, fair play!

The ethernet port stopped working on my Rasp Pi so its been gathering dust months.

Definitely dont think its the power supply, as it always worked with it, its a 2000ma,
    I also tested it with a 1000ma psu but no go.

I should really send it back, but have been lazy about it.

waveform wrote: »
    Normal Person: "Oooo what a nice couch, that would make an excellent sitting device."
    Ashens: "Ooooo, that would make an excellent recording set!"

Achilles you are one super enthusiastic mofo, fair play!

The ethernet port stopped working on my Rasp Pi so its been gathering dust months.

Definitely dont think its the power supply, as it always worked with it, its a 2000ma,
    I also tested it with a 1000ma psu but no go.

I should really send it back, but have been lazy about it.
    Thanks, glad you like the video! You'd be enthusiastic too if you only had yourself to play with at the end of the video...

....erh wait a sec

Anyway do the USB ports work? If they're not working then that could explain it as apparently the Ethernet port works off of the USB bus on the board. It's actually a USB > Ethernet port just soldered directly on to the board.

Anyway I have one of these connected to mine and it works fine:
    http://www.adverts.ie/laptop-parts-and-accessories/mini-wifi-wireless-usb-network-adapter-802-11n-150m-new/1797127

I couldn't resist the Ashens parody when I saw the Signalex logo on the bluetooth adapters that I picked up. :pac:

That's interesting actually, I didn't know it was connected via the usb controller!
    I will investigate further tomorrow! Thanks.

I never knew the Mega Everdrive has the capability to play homebrew games over the internet! :eek:

Half way through this video:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Ok thanks to Mr Vestek, I officially want a Raspberry Pi. Fantastic set of videos man, really a job well done.

@Steve, offer of a loan much appreciated man. Honestly though I won't get near a Raspberry project until well into the new year so it'd only be sitting there gathering more dust!

I'll buy one in Jan maybe. Is the V2 one the one to go for yeah?

Ok thanks to Mr Vestek, I officially want a Raspberry Pi. Fantastic set of videos man, really a job well done.

@Steve, offer of a loan much appreciated man. Honestly though I won't get near a Raspberry project until well into the new year so it'd only be sitting there gathering more dust!

Ahh pity I didn't get you in the secret santa, would have picked up one for ya! Really glad you like the videos mate, seriously!

They've had a fantastic response so far on YouTube and Google+ so I'm glad that I'm putting something out there that people are enjoying.

Thinking of holding a competition during my next video, any ideas as to what I should do?

Was thinking of getting one of the Pimoroni cases or a tshirt or something like that. I'm stuck for ideas as to what to actually ask people to do in order to win though...

Any help appreciated!

Achilles wrote: »
    Ahh pity I didn't get you in the secret santa, would have picked up one for ya! Really glad you like the videos mate, seriously!

Honestly they're fantastic, presentation, clarity, audio, editing...very very well done. It explains a lot, in a simple & approachable way, & has convinced me to get on board the Raspberry Pi Express!
    They've had a fantastic response so far on YouTube and Google+ so I'm glad that I'm putting something out there that people are enjoying.

Thinking of holding a competition during my next video, any ideas as to what I should do?

Was thinking of getting one of the Pimoroni cases or a tshirt or something like that. I'm stuck for ideas as to what to actually ask people to do in order to win though...

Any help appreciated!

In terms of what to do to win, I dunno, something really simple maybe like picking a number between 1 & 100 over a set period of time...at the end you just put the names into a randomiser or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I realise that I'm shilling my own stuff here but I'd like to think that some of you have been following these tutorials.

Anyway here's episode three of Raspberry Pi Ally:

Thanks very much for this,

Have mine currently setup with XBMC and that connects to my WD MyBook 3TB NAS.
    It also has all the metadata scraping off IMDB and some others. Very handy.
    I do agree with Steve, it can "go slow" the odd time but once the media is playing it's great.

I also have Retropie on another SD card so going to get that Bluetooth dongle and a powered USB hub tomorrow.

Edit : thought this was a different contra video, this one sucks

You're welcome eddhorse! I saw a demo of Raspbmc on YouTube there earlier and it honestly didn't seem that slow to me wether the content was accessed over the network or via a HDD.

Certainly not enough for me to not want to have it as a media device connected to my TV.

I'll have to play about with it myself during the week anyway to see which one performs best as there is more than one.

You're dead right eddhorse it is handy that you can just swap out an SD card and turn it into a totally different device.

No probs, let me know if you change your mind.

The latest revision of the board has mounting holes as well as somewhere you can solder on some headers and hook up a button to reset the board by shorting some pins(I used a small arcade button).
    The GPIO pins are also changed a bit and the resetable fuses on the USB have been removed, so you have some better power options.

I have a nice little project I'm working on at the moment for the Pi and the camera module. But having some design problems and I really dont want to cut up the "case" its going into.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

ah dont normally pimp my videos but havent put anything up on the channel in aaaages

Dr Bob wrote: »
    ah dont normally pimp my videos but havent put anything up on the channel in aaaages

Like the vid Bob, been playing alot of Tekken 3 myself lately so this was a nice little throwback.

• Advertisement

Anyone watch Francis/boogie2988? Such a cool dude :D

Jaysus, 14 voices?

Surely thats a new record.

Yeah he has a great channel, makes it very personal dealing with his weight problems and gaming his whole life with every console, plus the hilarious Francis :)

Jaysus, 14 voices?

Surely thats a new record.

Yeah its the most I've seen him do anyway..the results are something else

• Advertisement

Been subscribed to him since he was mentioned in a RayWilliamJohnson video.

His videos are excellent. Although for somebody trying to lose weight he still drinks alot of Mountain Dew.

As somebody constantly trying to lose weight themselves sugary drinks are lethal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Dr Bob wrote: »

Its no tekken 3 or tekken tag for that matter imo.

I was addicted to tekken 3 in school. I like the first 2 instalments dont get me wrong but Tekken 3 just blew me away.

I only played Tekken Tag for the first time about a year ago on PS2 and I'd go as far saying I like that even more than 3. The tag dynamic really adds to the game.

I tried playing Tekken 5 but so far havent gotten into it. Seems a bit fast or something for my liking. I went back to Tekken Tag very quickly.

All of the above must be played with Namco Arcade stick for maximum Tekken enjoyment though. Although thats probably a seperate arguement. :D

...edit... Good video by the way. Most enjoyable.

Kinda makes me wanna learn to play the Violin this...

Dat Song of Storms :eek:

And if, for some reason, one Lindsey Stirling isn't enough for you...now there's two of them

Good god. I mean, I've heard about this game but never actually bothered looking at it. I see now what all the fuss is about, it's horrific

Good god. I mean, I've heard about this game but never actually bothered looking at it. I see now what all the fuss is about, it's horrific

What the actual ****?

The cinematic intro looks like it was a graphical demo for something completely unrelated to Sonic, and they just slapped it in and tried to clone the female character with much lower Res graphics! WTF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

And the loading! Good lord the loading!

What the actual ****?

The cinematic intro looks like it was a graphical demo for something completely unrelated to Sonic, and they just slapped it in and tried to clone the female character with much lower Res graphics! WTF!

Final Fantasy Zone

• Advertisement

I've been having a productive enough day in work so far watching videos such as this:

So we have all seen piano covers of our favourite video game tunes,
    but Tom Brier is a little bit different...

He has the ability to "sight read" music
    i.e. he can play a song on first attempt without ever even hearing it before,
    by reading the sheet music and playing instantly...

He can also mix up the sequence and add his own style / remix the song on the fly...

Nyan Cat was a bit of a nemesis for Tom, but he wasn't long figuring it out!

Plenty more videos of him playing other video game tracks here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Keeper1st

Omg this is hilarious! Side splittingly funny if you're a Sonic fan and hated OmoChao:

Omg this is hilarious! Side splittingly funny if you're a Sonic fan and hated OmoChao:

Still a better game than Sonic 06...

Still a better game than Sonic 06...

E.T. on Atari is a better game than Sonic '06.

• Advertisement

Advertisement