Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telling people you collect/play old games?

Options
  • 15-04-2014 3:27pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was chatting to one of the lads in work and he was telling me he dug out his original xbox and started playing it again with his kids. He was then asking me did I play games or anything so I just said I have an xbox and play station but didn't really say anything else. Not necessarily because I'd be embarrassed about it but maybe because people might think in weird or a hoarder or something. So I got thinking and was wondering if it ever came up in conversation with you guys, do you say you have a big collection or collect or anything?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Doesnt really bother me telling people, most end up talking about the games they used to have when they where younger. I have people in my house delivering shopping from tesco or doing work etc that have asked me if they can take photos of my arcade machines, they usually stare at them telling me how they used to play street fighter etc years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah doesn't bother me. If they can't accept it, ****'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah doesn't bother me. If they can't accept it, ****'em.

Indeed. What's considered normal by a lot of people (ie spending a fortune on drink, cigarettes, sitting in bars all weekend, you know the type) makes me not give two hoots about what any of them think about me

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Myrddin wrote: »
    ...makes me not give two hoots...

You're not Merlin at all! You're Archimedes!

I don't have the collection you guys have, but I am itching to set up my own arcade machine/bartop at some stage, and have no problem telling people this, or the list of consoles I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

If you tell them you like football and a bit of racism at the weekends they tend to accept you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

People are a lot more accepting now a days, back in the day you were weird if you played video games at all. So I have no issue telling people, weather they care or not is a different matter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Maybe it's just me then! I generally don't care what people think about me/my interests in other ways but gaming isn't something I've really discussed with people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I wouldn't go on about it if someone isn't interested.

Except when I'm drunk. Then you'll get a dissertation on the level design in classic castlevania vs. super castlevania 4 if you are unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

The more people you mention it to, the more chances you get free games! Has worked for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Saying you're a video game fanatic doesn't carry the stigma it once did.

I remember in one of my first jobs being curiously poked and questioned by colleagues when I tried explaining Resident Evil to them.

I'm still a bit wary of proclaiming it all though saying you like Japanese animation gets a way worse response!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

What the hell? Why would you EVER feel embarressed about playing video games? I have some of the best memories as a 4 year old kid all the way up to now of having great nights playing games. I played far more than I should have, rediculous amounts, but I had some great times.

I still have the NES, SNES and N64. I even bought the 1st Playstation a few years back just so I could play the games I never got to when I had the N64. I break them out every so often and relive the good times :)

I think if you're embarressed about it then you're way way overthinking things. Anyone who judges you for such a thing no matter what age you are is a douche. Anyone who judges who for playing video games has a problem and is immature. I know old couples that play video games together because it's a source of good fun.

Oh did I mention that a few years ago the video game industry was supposed to be worth more than both film AND music industry combined? Maybe it still is, who knows.

You watch a film that lasts 2 hours, it's rewatch ability is so so. You play a game that takes you anwhere between 20 and 50 hours to complete. Or if you're like me and love to totally explore the whole game it might take you 3 times that. Replay ability can be massive.

Don't be afraid to tell people you play games too man. They might have really fond memories just like you. I know plenty of strangers I've ended up talking to about old video games and the good times. Be proud of the good times you had ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am sure everyone in my job who knows me know of my love of games and my collection.
    In fact, I think it intimidates a few tbh, as when someone had a question about games they get all nervous imagining, perhaps, that they are taking up some sort of fountain of knowledge on the topic and they don't want to appear ignorant when, as we are all well aware, I know feck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

If you tell them you like football and a bit of racism at the weekends they tend to accept you...

What happens if you like both? Football and retro video games, not racism. I do however wholeheartedly endorse xenophobia.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    What happens if you like both? Football and retro video games, not racism. I do however wholeheartedly endorse xenophobia.

Is this going to be a stand up fight or just another bug hunt?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is this going to be a stand up fight or just another bug hunt?

It's a bug hunt.
    Hudson sir, he's Hicks. :)

Take off and nuke it from orbit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Don't see why I wouldn't. I even mention it on my cv, along with other interests (running, being an unfortunate supporter of Derby County, technology in general, etc) I'd happily bring it up in conversation if it was relevant, but wouldn't if I know that the people I'm with aren't interested. The same thing I do with football, running etc*

*Except Arrested Development. I'll talk to everyone about that, whether they're interested or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

My hobbies are on a need to know basis.

megaten wrote: »
    My hobbies are on a need to know basis.

So, when they are chained to your cellar wall and being prepared for the small sharp knives, would you let it slip then?
    I always find that time the most challenging.... Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

lol..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

We all like different things, that is what makes the this forum \ the world a interesting place. Some like Nintendo, others are Sega fans, and the odd weird one likes the 3DO :D:pac: Da wife actually sat down with me last nite and played Klax for 2 hours solid:confused:

I would never be embarrassment of playing video games. I was thinking about this the other day and was wondering how old I will be playing games until, I can honestly say I will be playing games for as long as I am physically able to, which I hope is until the PlayStation 15 :D

Nuffin weird about loving the monster that is the 3DO, sign of a player of games with impeccable taste that.
    The weirdoes are the ones who don't love it, what the hell is wrong with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Dude, da 3DO is rubbish.....coming from an Atari Jag fan :D

Come on like, a 64 BIT machine with a 40 button joypad, that's da biz....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

ghostchant wrote: »
    Don't see why I wouldn't.I even mention it on my cv...

I have that too, and years ago I had an interview where I chatted about MS Flight Simulator add-ons with the company's CTO for one hour and a half. When I got out, there where about 5 other people waiting with slightly annoyed expressions :D

Didn't get the job as it was essentially a wrong interview (recruiter agency didn't read the job spec very well...or they thought that "PHP and ASP.NET" were the same thing as "Java"), but it was by far the most enjoyable interview ever!

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I have that too, and years ago I had an interview where I chatted about MS Flight Simulator add-ons with the company's CTO for one hour and a half. When I got out, there where about 5 other people waiting with slightly annoyed expressions :D

Didn't get the job as it was essentially a wrong interview (recruiter agency didn't read the job spec very well...or they thought that "PHP and ASP.NET" were the same thing as "Java"), but it was by far the most enjoyable interview ever!

I've found similar, that things like that can pique an interviewer's interest, found it was a good way to gauge if they had a good impression of you - a couple of light-hearted questions about your interests normally means that they haven't decided that you're a total git.

Though I have to say that I've gotten more questions about my love of Derby County than my love of old video games. Normally things like "Ah so you're a Derby fan - that's awful, how did that happen?" :)

djsim101 wrote: »
    Dude, da 3DO is rubbish.....coming from an Atari Jag fan :D

Come on like, a 64 BIT machine with a 40 button joypad, that's da biz....

Don't move from your current location.
    The black chopper will be there to rehome you in our education centre (aka dungeon) shortly, running will mean you will only make the same journey tired.

ghostchant wrote: »
    I've found similar, that things like that can pique an interviewer's interest, found it was a good way to gauge if they had a good impression of you - a couple of light-hearted questions about your interests normally means that they haven't decided that you're a total git.

Though I have to say that I've gotten more questions about my love of Derby County than my love of old video games. Normally things like "Ah so you're a Derby fan - that's awful, how did that happen?" :)

Derby County?
    Wow.
    That's.... unfortunate....
    Notts Forest are where the cool kids are at

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Derby County?
    Wow.
    That's.... unfortunate....
    Notts Forest are where the cool kids are at

If the interviewer was a Forest fan I wouldn't take the job :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Los Lobos wrote: »
    The more people you mention it to, the more chances you get free games! Has worked for me anyway

I've found this a lot. Since I started collecting in earnest, Friends and family have offloaded stuff happily to me.

Only this week in work, one of the girls is emigrating and brought in games for me as she couldn't be arsed trying to pack them. Tell everyone! you never know what people will give you!

I got one of these off a relative as a mere afterthought when I visited and mentioned I had picked up an arcade machine :D
    hqdefault.jpg

It was just sitting in his garage!

• Advertisement

This has happened on occasion, workmates hear of my hobby and tell me they've a few bits in the attic, then I get a few bits and bobs from them, though it's often a Megadrive or Snes when it does happen.
    I know my cousins used to have a Colecovision and a Vic20... I wonder if they're tucked away somewhere?

Advertisement