Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Employee Got Mugged

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

bb1234567 wrote: »
    If the sole purpose was to rob the victim, then why do you think the the criminals chose to rob him because of his race? You havn't even met the lad or know what he looks like, (there are dozens of ethnic groups in China), and your'e bringing race into it without knowing anything about the crime beyond the very basic details. It may be very relevant, who knows, but saying it likely is racially motivated based on absolutely no evidence and then going onto criticise the police force for poor reporting of this type of crime is pretty ridiculous. When you posted that, you didn't even know whether the crime had been loged with the gardai, or what information the gardai looked for if it was.

Well I doubt he was part of the Russian ethnic minority from Dongbei for one thing. And I'd have my doubts our assailant can pick out the difference between a Hui, Han or Mongolian Chinese national; mostly that they're after a soft target, and I've a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you if you think that the man's non-Irish appearance didn't feed into him being targeted.

Ireland is by the way almost unique in the EU that the racist element of attacks are not an aggravating factor in sentencing, and are filtered out in the prosecuting documents if recorded at all. Again, the CSO and Gardai collect no date on racially motivated assaults, which tells you a lot about how they are recorded. This has been noted by the UN by the way, who have called for legislation to remedy this legal anomaly compared to other countries.

As it happens research by UL (a stone's throw away from the incident coincidentally) fed into the UN report and was name-checked.

banie01 wrote: »
    This thread was initially framed as the kid being targeted because he was Chinese, he 99.9% wasn't.

Seriously?

I'm not going to put a percentage on it, but it's highly likely he was. Lowlifes pick on foreigners because they think they're an easy mark as another poster correctly pointed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Yurt! wrote: »
    Seriously?

Yes, the incident took place in an area that has a high rate of crimes against students.
    The fact that anyone in the area walking on their own and carrying a backpack is at the very least likely to have a Laptop that can be quickly moved on plays a huge part in the targeting of students.

The mugging and the effect on the victim is abhorrent, however a large number of students of all races are accosted yearly and suffer similar losses.
    There needs to be a specifically targeted policing strategy aimed at ensuring students in the Castletroy and surrounding areas can commute to/from the Uni in a greater degree of safety than is currently available.

To be quite honest, if I was to take up a career in mugging, I could think of few better places to victim source than surrounding UL and the areas between UL, Groody and Kilmurry.

Its far more likely this lad was targeted because he had a backpack and likely other electronic gear and cash and was alone, than it was because he was Chinese.

If it was because he was Chinese? Given that we have quite a settled and well integrated Chinese community in the city and indeed the country?
    I'd expect to hear quite a bit more about it.

Well if you're 99.9% sure about it I'll leave you to your odds. You must think very highly of the muggers of Castletroy. I doubt we'll be seeing the assailant celebrating Chinese New Year any time soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Muggings don't happen everywhere in my experience and are definitely prevolent in Limerick. Why, though? Students are regularly terrorised by these dodgy characters and very little is ever done about it. I have a friend whos house was burgled and he was threatened with a knife at 4am in his own bedroom in college court.

I roll my eyes whenever 'Blindboy' goes on a rant on twitter, proclaiming that Limerick > Galway and that tourists should wake up + agree. The vibes in Galway are nothing like Limerick's and in my 4 years of living there, I never heard on anyone being mugged. That being said, the city itself has come on a great stride in comparison to what it was like 5-6 years ago.

Never heard of anyone being mugged in Galway?

Teens face trial following spate of muggings in Galway https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/teens-face-trial-following-spate-of-muggings-in-galway-1.3403371%3fmode=amp

Young man stabbed after armed robbery attempt https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/young-man-stabbed-after-armed-robbery-attempt/

Teenage girl has vital medical equipment stolen during mugging https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/news/teenage-girl-has-vital-medical-equipment-stolen-during-mugging-36439652.html

All within your 4 years in Galway.

Or how about NUIGs advice to students to avoid being mugged? https://services.su.nuigalway.ie/site/view/1110/ I wonder why they give that advice?

Limerick has its issues, but no more than any other city. I wish people would quit singling it out as if it was the only place that crime existed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yurt! wrote: »
    Well if you're 99.9% sure about it I'll leave you to your odds. You must think very highly of the muggers of Castletroy. I doubt we'll be seeing the assailant celebrating Chinese New Year any time soon.

The mugger may have seen an Asian face and seen an easy mark, but the easy mark could as easily been an Irish girl walking on her own. Muggers look for vulnerable people, not race when they pick their victims.

it's never going to shake that rep is though really?

Coined by a Limerick newspaper allegedly so a self-inflicted wound then...

http://www.aran-isles.com/blog/2008/09/stab-city-no-shotgun-city-woul.php

Advertisement