Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Darren Sutherland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

RIP Darren. A sad loss to us all.

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=6086286155

• Registered Users Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Absolutely horrendous news. I can't believe it. He was only a young man, and had a real shot at being world champion. His family live in Navan, not far from me. God give them comfort, and god rest him. RIP

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The Olympic medal-winning boxer Darren Sutherland has been found dead at his home by his manager.

The 27-year-old, who won bronze for Ireland at the 2008 Games in Beijing, was found hanged in his flat in Bromley, south London, by Frank Maloney. In a statement, the boxing promoter said: "It is very sad and unexpected.

"At this sad time my thoughts are with Darren's family and I hope their privacy at this very difficult time will be respected by the media. It is a tragedy for Ireland and the world of boxing."

A Metropolitan police spokesman said Sutherland was pronounced dead at just after 3pm. His death is not being treated as suspicious. His family have been informed.

The fighter made his professional debut in Dublin last December, winning by a knockout.

guardian newspaper

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I can't believe this is true, he had so much potential.
    I had looked forward to watching his career progress, it's shame we'll never get to see what might have been. RIP.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I'm shocked, just heard this on the news now, RIP and thoughts are with his family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Logged onto facebook expecting the usual Farmville crap and got this sad news instead.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Very tragic, condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crispsandwiches

God bless his soul and may god give strength to his family. My heart is broke as he gave so much for his country at the olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Stunned to hear this news

R.I.P Darren

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I post this with tears in my eyes. From seeing him flying at his best to this. It's truly a sad day. RIP Darren. All our wishes are with your family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

While it's never good to hear about a death, it's always that much more acute to hear of someone dying young and the potential that will never be realised.

RIP:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

rip pal,so sad to hear this news my heart goes out to your parents 2 sisters and family

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

Awful news.
    R.I.P. Darren.
    You did your country proud.
    Condolences to anyone who had the pleasure to know him, and especially his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

holy crap...ammm..i duno wat ta say...R.I.P man..great sports man..and a very likeable person..:(

This is just like hearing about micheal jackson...but i think worse

:(...............G

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

A sad loss for his family and friends, and also for Ireland. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Terrible news. Sad, sad, sad. Thoughts with him & his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

R.I.P Darren Sutherland

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Just read this, I don't know how accurate it is but it makes the news even more sad if it is true.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/boxing/article6834645.ece

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shanem2012

RIP Darren, I hung around with him sometimes when I was younger. lived accross from him in parslickstown. He had a lot going for him. Cant believe he,s gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Holy fcuk. Shocking news altogether

Condolences to everyone that knew him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

shanem2012 wrote: »
    RIP Darren, I hung around with him sometimes when I was younger. lived accross from him in parslickstown. He had a lot going for him. Cant believe he,s gone.

a guy with so much potential, RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Paddy_B

RIP Darren, couldn't believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭sean0

Couldn't believe the news when first heard , very sad.Thoughts are with his family.

R.I.P Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

That is terrible terrible news, condolences to the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

Ireland has lost a great boxer and a potential world champion.

RIP Darren!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

I'm not into Boxing but this news is terrible,

hope he can find some peace now,

all the best to his family and friends,

R.I.P. ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 fight

very sad news RIP DARREN ALSO THINKING OF YOUR FAMILY AT THIS TIME MY GOD LOOK AFTER YOU ALL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

RIP Darren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

R.I.P to him

Advertisement