Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards.ie Mobile - boards.ie on your portable device

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I've implemented some suggestions, thanks for those. The smaller number of posts per page thing is the next thing I'll look at, just have to figure out where I need to wedge the relevant variable in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Thanks CuLT for a great service!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Another suggestion for this

When there is an embedded youtube video in a thread, instead of trying to embed it in the mobile page (where most phones can't play it) would it be possible to change it to a link to m.youtube.com\video

Also is there any way to look at spoiler tags for the mobile version? if not a possibility would be to have a link on the page, something like "show spoilers" that would allow you to reload the page with spoilers visible

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

matrim wrote: »
    Also is there any way to look at spoiler tags for the mobile version? if not a possibility would be to have a link on the page, something like "show spoilers" that would allow you to reload the page with spoilers visible

what i do is quote the person as if i'm going to reply to their post and then i can read the spoiler part in the text box

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

links on m.boards.ie are now linking to www.boards.ie

pages taking ages to load on a non-3g connection.

• Advertisement

Whoops, fixed, we removed some fluff from the pages today, they're actually about 15kb or so smaller than they have been.

Unless you mean the regular boards.ie site is taking ages to load on 3g, which, of course, it would :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yup that's what i meant :D

cheers for the quick fix, pages are definitely faster now on m.boards

apologies if this has been asked before. on the mobile version, the reply box is wider than the screen and it's quite difficult to work with for various reasons, for example if i'm copying and pasting the page doesn't scroll so i have to basically guess when to stop moving the cursor to get the text i want.

would it be possible to make the text box the same width as the rest of the text on the page?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    apologies if this has been asked before. on the mobile version, the reply box is wider than the screen and it's quite difficult to work with for various reasons, for example if i'm copying and pasting the page doesn't scroll so i have to basically guess when to stop moving the cursor to get the text i want.

would it be possible to make the text box the same width as the rest of the text on the page?
    The style is a bit weird, I've reduced the dimensions there, any better?

CuLT wrote: »
    The style is a bit weird, I've reduced the dimensions there, any better?

no, it's the same i'm afraid. just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, this is the text box that appears at the bottom of each thread and the one when you click reply on a post. i took a look at the code and it looks to me like it's this part causing the problem:

<textarea wrap="virtual" name="message" rows="10" cols="30" style="height:100px;width:90%" tabindex="1">

the problem being that the actual page is wide but the phone formats the text so that it wraps around at the edge of the screen. if you take out the width:90% part it should be ok

edit: or maybe set it to width:240 to match the most common screen resolution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Will this work if you point your phone to boards.ie, or do you have to go to m.boards.ie ?

afaik it depends on your browser. the website detects that you're on a phone and so gives you the mobile version. but i think opera mini was excluded from the browsers that are forced to the mobile version

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

afaik it depends on your browser. the website detects that you're on a phone and so gives you the mobile version. but i think opera mini was excluded from the browsers that are forced to the mobile version

Anybody know how this is done? Id be interested in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sully wrote: »
    Anybody know how this is done? Id be interested in this.
    Here's one example. http://www.andymoore.info/php-to-detect-mobile-phones/

Reply box (both main and quick reply) in the Nokia 5700 is to small. Once you exceed the space, you cant see what you are typing as no scroll bar appears.

Also, im not redirected when I go to boards.ie to the mobile site.

:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The standard browser on my n95 doesn't re-direct me

I turned it off months ago, was inconveniencing more people than it was conveniencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I know its a fairly bitty complaint, but is there any chance of a comma between thread page numbers? Its fine for low numbers but when you get up to the 100 of pages mark the just form a big number. When you scroll over them they are threated as individual links, just thought it would look a bit better

Edit: actually it does it regardless of how many pages

I'm on a n95 using opera mini btw

one small suggestion. i got around my previous problem of the reply box being too long by forcing the page to fit to the screen but now it's too small :D

when replying to a post in Opera mobile (not opera mini) it looks like this:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=65640&stc=1&d=1225277099

which is hard to work with. If you change the number of colums in the reply textarea from 15 to 40 it looks like this:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=65641&stc=1&d=1225277116
    much better i'm sure you'll agree :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

This may have been raised before, but for whatever reason when I sign into boards from a new computer it always changes my theme to the New Mobile one apart from when I'm on the homepage.

Baza210 wrote: »
    This may have been raised before, but for whatever reason when I sign into boards from a new computer it always changes my theme to the New Mobile one apart from when I'm on the homepage.
    You have (had) it set as your default skin. I've reset it to default.

Thank you your majesty. I figured it was something like that but couldn't find it in my CP..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Any idea why the Nokia text box error is happening? (Lack of scroll bars when text exceeds the size of box) Happens on N95 8GB using standard browser.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Would a Thanks button be possible to install beside the Reply and Report options. Typing out a quick reply can be a pain on a mobile keyboard so having the Thanks button extended to mobile would be a handy feature. I rarely use the Thanks button when I'm on my desktop but this is one application I'd use it.

The link to an unread message in PM inbox is the same typeface as a read one. Would it be possible to have it bolded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

its good but can only write certain amount before i cant see what im writing anymore lol. Still good though

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

One small bug I've noticed: the smilies all show up as :-) (colon, minus, close paren) rather than their BBCode versions.

Any idea why the Nokia text box error is happening? (Lack of scroll bars when text exceeds the size of box) Happens on N95 8GB using standard browser.

MC

Change your view rateto 75% and it should be okay.

• Advertisement

i'm using opera mobile and it seems to be forced to use the mobile skin. The homepage shows up normal but all other pages are mobile. Is it possible to stop that, so i have to explicitly go to m.boards.ie to get the mobile skin? Opera mini does it but not opera mobile

And i'm wondering why sigs don't show up on the mobile skin. Is it a technical issue or was it a conscious choice?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement