Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Mobile - boards.ie on your portable device

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

That "Rep" button next to a post is the quote button.. think I'll change the name of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Very nice! 2 things:

[*]Is there any way to get to a list of your subscribed forums (not just subscribed threads)? I can't spot it if there is. If there isn't any chance of one? For bonus points, an asterisk to indicated new posts. I assumed that's the way most people browse boards (as I can't imagine anyone would be instered in all the forums), but I must have assumed wrong!
    [*]Maybe break up the forum list, so that first tier is groups with forum counts in brackets.. 2nd tier shows any sub group (with forum count) and forum links. The forum list isn't all tha big in bytes, but is very long to navigate (I'm scrolling for ages on my e61). Again, though, that kinda assumes most people aren't interested in all the forums which could be wrong.

Nice though!!

Yep, subbed forums is on my to-do list;

Forum list is big, but I'm thinking once the sublist is available it won't matter. Time and user feedback will tell on that one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Maybe pop a link to subbed.php somewhere in there. I use it all the time and find it quite useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Looking at it in Opera Mini on a Sony Ericsson K800i, it seems a bit too wide - the right side of the "S" of "BOARDS.IE" is at the edge of the screen in default view and I've got to scroll right to see the whole page.

That said, Opera can flip to landscape view, and it fits in perfectly then.

Nice job. Good to see it. Now I can browse boards during quiet times in work (managing a bar at the moment). Look forward to seeing extra features added!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It almost makes me want to buy a new expensive phone, almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Nice. I quite like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Nice work here. Would it be possible to add a mobile link to the thread into subscription emails too? Makes it all the more useful on the phone then.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

My Archos 605 is 800x480 on a 4.3" screen so works with normal web sites. But the java menus are erratic and the page load time is huge compared with any other sites. Maybe some in compatibility with Opera?

I'm off to try the mobile version... I'll try the E65 phone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

OK works on the Archos 605, but navigation faster / easier to use the ordinary site, apart from the bad page load time.

Very fast loading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

just had a quick look looks nice. Any features you want road tested?
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Thats class. I was using it for a long time without any mobile version, slow to load and ENDLESS scrolling! :rolleyes: Well done to everyone involved :)

Not posted on mobile device! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

i also don't like the posted via mobile device message at the end. Also, once or twice after i.ve made a post, i'm brought back to the desktop version of boards instead of the mobile version. Not sure why, it doesn't happen every time.
    Other than that i think it works quite well! And i'll defo make good use of it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Excellent,

I was just thinking about a mobile version last week. I meant to suggest it but wasn't sure where I would do such a thing. Good to see the beta anyways.

I had a lot of probs trying to post and send pm's with regular site on my mobile. Not really workable at all.

Cheers lads, thanks very much.

Update, now with a "Subbed" forums option.

Interesting to hear that it's reverting back sometimes. Will have to consider what might be causing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Great stuff, I was going through the CP to the subbed threads,,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

id just like to say this is much much better than the boards mobile i tried to use a week or two ago, i didnt like that one at all but this one seems good ill give it a shot when iget home

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

great stuff!

any chance of a nice little icon for iphone/ipod touch users who bookmark boards to their home screen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

great stuff!

any chance of a nice little icon for iphone/ipod touch users who bookmark boards to their home screen?

Indeed. Its also pretty easy to do.

Add this line to the pages <link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="/whatever.jpg"/> and upload the logo (such as, say, the one attached :)) to the root.

Indeed. Its also pretty easy to do.

Add this line to the pages <link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="/whatever.jpg"/> and upload the logo (such as, say, the one attached :)) to the root.
    You are just awesome :)

Added.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Brianb8802

Savage cabbage, posted thread few weeks back asking was there a mobile version. Will use this alot. Thanks

Posted via Mobile Device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

If a thread is locked then you still get the option to post and it doesn't tell you it's locked until you click submit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I've also seen the sometimes going to the pc version too. It happened to me when clicking of the forum name on the top of the page. When I went back and clicked on it again it was worked correctly.

Also youtube links don't seem to work on my N95. If I go to youtube I can play them but not from inside boards.

A couple of things that would be nice,

* When someone posts a link to boards in a thread, make it go to the m.boards.ie if you are using the mobile version. Otherwise if you click on the link it can open in the pc version

* Show the dates on posts in the thread

* Show the Forum that a post is in on the home page

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Posted via Mobile Device

on holidays in france at the moment with only access to dial-up - so this makes a huge difference as well!!! thanks. BTW , how would you search for a forum e.g search for bargain alerts?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Posted via Mobile Device

on holidays in france at the moment with only access to dial-up - so this makes a huge difference as well!!! thanks. BTW , how would you search for a forum e.g search for bargain alerts?
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=346

List of fora;
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Since the subbed list, I'm a happy man! Even subbed threads are there under the CP. Excellent! Nice work.

One thing I noticed is that smilies link to 404 images.

I assume that the reply text box on my e61i doesn't have scrollbars (and chops off the display of the last line when the content gets long.. having to add 2 new lines of padding so you can see the content) is phone-specific?!

Posted via Mobile Device

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Posted via Mobile Device

using opera mobile on my n95 to post this, its working great! Thanks very much. Can i just add a suggestion? I think you brushed on it already but personally i think the forum list is too long, is it possible to change it to ,or even adding a catagory list? Where clicking one brings you to a new page with all the forums me that section. It currently takes a long time to get to feedback! Cheers

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement