Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

olymberyl aiden multi fuel stove, crazy fumes & stove settings+fuel recommendations.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

digging up an old thread but how are these going
    i see this stove for sale at a good price maybe its to good to be true
    il be burning turf... how many bags do ye burn a day or year even

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

had olymberyl stove for 5 yrs now , never had a real problem takes getting used to , at beginning was burning fuel like no tommorow. until i realised how to control it.have 4 double 2m rads,3 double 1.5m rads plus large towel rail to get hot rads was burning ecobrite and turf. last year turf was very dry,so didnt buy coal 3 bags of turf per day gave us all hot water needed and heated all rads.our hot water is set at 90 c . we have found when we just want hot water heated start early in morning keep vent very small we have hot water all day i bag turf. we have oil heating as well biy didnt use it at all. one thing i have noticed fuel your burning whatever it is MUST be totally dry, if slightly damp moisture content you will get no heat from fuel. so i can only reccemend my olymberyl stove wouldnt livewithout it . adding extension this yr 3 more rads to be added, it wil handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TeresaL

We've been using this stove now for over 2 years and if we were to do it again with hindsight, we would not have bothered and just continued with oil. No, we didn't have any fumes problem, that could be a chimney sealing problem. However, even though it is supposed to heat 14 rads, we would be lucky to heat 2 large ones with a terrific fire. Forget about burning turf or logs for intense heat - water or rads, instead use a bucket of coal (takes a lot) and this is better if it is anthracite or something like that. We use oil as well and sometimes supplement with an electric rad and this winter being so cold we used a Superser. These stoves were just fashionable, we considered taking ours out and fitting an open fire. We avoid lighting it if possible as the dust and soot on furniture nearby is horrible. Nice to look at but no great heat, water not great, it is either one or the other. Use the damper at the back midway and control the flow with the front roller and top vent. You will get used to it. My stove is in an open-plan situation but maybe in a closed room there would be more of a build up of heat. The ones that I've seen with friends who don't heat the water seem to give more heat. They are expensive to run and we found we would have been quids-in if we just kept to the oil.
    Good luck with yours.

im puzzled is your immersion far away from stove? as i said my immertion set at 90c and rads very hot cause of dry turf was using just 3 bags turf for 9hrs heat.takes a bit of time to get going cause has to heat all water in ststem 1st..ie. rads and hot water pipes. most we ever used 4 bags on very very cold day. asi said when you use hot water heat will be diverted from rads to heat water tank 1st. sorry you have problems this year to heat house for yr plus hot water = 400 euros. we also cook stew on top of stove ..saves using gas have kettle hot water going all day on stove.

just a quick point stoves with backboilers are not a good idea, (i think) if you think you can come in and 6.30 pm and get a heated house for nite, they are more a slow start heater.take time to get to required heat . id say about hour and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

I don't know if it helps anyone but we have one of these stoves for the past 6 years, and it is the one thing in my house, I would not do without.

We light the stove on kindling and then put in a bucket of ecobrite, when that has caught and is burning well, you need to put something on top to keep the flames at the back by the boiler. We use turf or a nice big log. The aidan has a massive firebox but to heat the water, the flame needs to be at the back of the stove. We have an open plan 15 X 15FT room with the stairs coming down into it, open plan to the landing upstairs, and when the stove is lit, the whole space is toasty, the rads are set to 60 degree kick in and the house is lovely and warm. We run 12 rads from the aidan with no problems.
    On a usual day we keep all the dampers closed, as the draw on the chimney is great on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TeresaL

Back again after 3 winters of using this stove. I have to say there was no great improvement with time and familiarity. It's warmer if a substantial amount of coal is burned at one time and as for logs - forget it - no heat to speak of. We have decided that this stove is only for looking at when burning lightly but find that is is just about the same cost to burn the oil and with a lot let work and dirt. It would be enough heat for a reasonably small room but not where we thought it would heat and most of our rads are turned off, we have to heat some bedrooms when required with a portable electric heater.
    I recommend, leave these stoves where they are, they are only for show unless there is a coal mine in your back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 doghound

Hi,
    First post on here, I decided to join as I found the installation manual for these Aidan multi fuel stoves.
    We have just relocated to Kerry and are thinking of replacing our old deville oil stove with a multi fuel and was advised that these would be a good choice, so have been googling as we have no telly yet..
    Anyway, enough waffle, here is the link:

warriorstoves.co.uk/files/786b1753-b9bf-4b11-a9f1-a08b00fbe736/Aidan with Boiler Stove Manual to 31-01-10.pdf

I hope this is of some use to somebody.

kind regards

doghound

have gone through two winters with this stove now and cant fault it.. solid fuel stoves are what they are regardless of the brands.. buying fuel by the bag for them is a waste of time and expensive.. if you live near a bog or can buy fuel in bulk and store it they are perfect.. as you can see from the user teresal its costing her money.. id like to no what type logs your buying as mine gives the most heat when using hard wood logs.. but again if your buying a bag to put in it your wasting your time.. as you could fit a whole bag into it in one go

• Registered Users Posts: 1 paulishere

just has a olymberyl aidan 21kw boiler stove fitted last week, and tried it for the first time, lit a small fire in it with in 30mins the rads were very warm 12 of them. did use alot of wood and coal as I was unsure how to use it compared to the open fire I had. I had the thermostat on the side set at number 5 but had to turn down to number 3 and closed the air wash vent at the top and the round vent at the bottom. it did get a bit smokey when the heat started getting up but soon disappeared, I did have to use a stainless steel flue in the chimney a 6 inch in size. in 6 hours of running used a bag and half of blocks and 3/4's of a bucket of coal, we were almost at the stage of opening the windows it was that warm, didnt put large amounts of fuel on at a time, but the heat was great even just using blocks, cant wait until winter is back to get the benefit of using the stove all the time.

one question did your plumber fit a one way valve on the oil boiler pump so your not heating the oil burner as well when your stove is on? I had to have a second pump fitted to ours for the stove and the plumber used all 4 connections on the back of the stove for the install, 2 for the hot water tank and 2 for the rads.

thanks Paul

• Advertisement

paulishere wrote: »
    just has a olymberyl aidan 21kw boiler stove fitted last week, and tried it for the first time, lit a small fire in it with in 30mins the rads were very warm 12 of them. did use alot of wood and coal as I was unsure how to use it compared to the open fire I had. I had the thermostat on the side set at number 5 but had to turn down to number 3 and closed the air wash vent at the top and the round vent at the bottom. it did get a bit smokey when the heat started getting up but soon disappeared, I did have to use a stainless steel flue in the chimney a 6 inch in size. in 6 hours of running used a bag and half of blocks and 3/4's of a bucket of coal, we were almost at the stage of opening the windows it was that warm, didnt put large amounts of fuel on at a time, but the heat was great even just using blocks, cant wait until winter is back to get the benefit of using the stove all the time.

one question did your plumber fit a one way valve on the oil boiler pump so your not heating the oil burner as well when your stove is on? I had to have a second pump fitted to ours for the stove and the plumber used all 4 connections on the back of the stove for the install, 2 for the hot water tank and 2 for the rads.

thanks Paul

i get the most heat from mine when its closed off.. the clean glass is nice but a lot of heat goes up the chimney.. as for the thermostat i never found it much use.. never closed by itself.. i find the most heat comes from it when you get hot coals in it... i used loads of fuel at the start and it was just going up the chimney.. flames dont generate the heat but hot coals do.. the way it plumbed in the four connections is completely different to mine.. mine is plumbed on two opposites.. one runs above ground through the attic and one under ground to the hot water cylinder.. the circulating pump for the rads is in the hot press.. dont think he installed a 1 way valve for the oil but branched it off differently.. your system sounds like its working fine and is probably a different way of doing it

Advertisement