Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Metal" at the O2 Point

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

nij wrote: »
    Watching and listening to a live band is hero worship? What are you talking about?

You talk about how you just want to see and listen to the band, well i can still listen while moshing. You can still listen while being bumped into. Personally i couldn't be arsed if i can see the band or not.

Funny, I don't get bored at gigs that easily. I have a good attention span.

Ask any DJ or Metal band what would they prefer their crowd doing? Dancing/moshing or standing still. Even the greatest band's can be **** when it's a **** atmosphere. What part of this don't you get?

Moshing, slamming, acting like an moron... call it what you want.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Jog on.

More happens in the world outside of what you have seen and witnessed.

What exactly have you witnessed then?
    I guess the botton line is that some people are into MUSIC, while others treat live bands as nothing more than faceless providers of white noise that they can flail around and act the eejit to, while missing every song.

So you must stand still nodding along to appreciate the MUSIC of a metal band? Are you on the right forum? Give me a break. "missing every song", dear god how many metal gig's have you been to exactly? Let me guess, you were there to see Judas Priest and not testament or megadeth, would that be accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Personally speaking, being 39 and having been going to gigs since i was 14, I've never been arsed being caught in a mosh. I prefer to stand back a bit and watch the musicians and the moshers. It all adds to the enjoyment of the gig for me.

If you are like me, stand where I do; if you like moshing, go to the pit. either way, enjoy the gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

If you are like me, stand where I do; if you like moshing, go to the pit. either way, enjoy the gig

Exactly! If you're not into moshing stay away from the pit. Otherwise you've about as much right to bitch as the guy in the restaurant that orders the special "sh*t sandwich", knowing full well what the ingredients are, only to discover that it most likely tastes foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Im heading to this gig in Glasgow tomorrow night

Anyone know what kind of Megadeth T Shirts they had for sale, if any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭nij

Davei141 wrote: »
    Ask any DJ or Metal band what would they prefer their crowd doing? Dancing/moshing or standing still. Even the greatest band's can be **** when it's a **** atmosphere. What part of this don't you get?

I don't stand still, nor am I suggesting anyone does so. Nothing wrong with a bit of headbanging or jumping around.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Jog on.

Because I don't appreciate the intricacies of acting like an animal...? Your argument is that slamming and moshing are two completely separate practises. That doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
    What exactly have you witnessed then?

People getting hurt, bloody noses, security pulling ****heads out of crowds, that sort of thing.

So you must stand still nodding along to appreciate the MUSIC of a metal band? Are you on the right forum? Give me a break. "missing every song", dear god how many metal gig's have you been to exactly? Let me guess, you were there to see Judas Priest and not testament or megadeth, would that be accurate?

Judas Priest were the headlining act, of course I was there to see them. I had also been looking forward to Megadeth. Just a shame they were ****e. Let me guess, you left after Megadeth. :rolleyes:

Believe it or not, metal is music too. If you don't understand that, perhaps YOU are on the wrong forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

poundhound wrote: »
    The venue apparently holds 13,000 people when full, can you imagine how big a cloakroom would need to be? And by the way dont give ticketmaster any ideas.

I was complaining about the lack of a cloakroom too, but this actually makes sense! :pac:
    Tim131 wrote: »

What pisses me off is the constant moshing! Sure tis a bit a craic for the firs t few minutes or when a really heavy song comes on, but non stop, I think its time these 30-/40 year olds pushing young ones and women around to grow up.

I agree with you to a certain extent. It wouldn't really be an age thing though, more the fact that there seemed to be a lot of burly, huge guys getting pulled out of the crowd (I presume for moshing or crowd surfing), and some of the smaller people (like me:D) would probably be hurt by them. I have to say I was surprised at the amount of people being pulled out- was the crowd that violent or were the security guys just being over-vigilant?

The moshing didn't really annoy me though- as others have said, if you don't like moshing, don't go in the pit. I'm quite small and I knew I just wouldn't enjoy the gig if I got stuck in the pit, so I avoided it.
    Bambi wrote: »
    omgz i wented to see thrash metal bands & there was mosh pit!! Someone call the care bears!! :(

I don't think he/she was complaining about mosh pits generally, just the rather dangerous mix of huge dudes hitting into smaller guys and girls (even unintentionally). But I agree, if you don't like moshing , stay out of the pit.
    Just don't jump up and down on the spot like you're on a pogo stick, like a lot of people do at metal gigs..You're not at a Busted concert! :D

Hmmm, I do all sorts when I'm at a gig, depending on my mood I'll mosh, pogo, headbang, etc. Didn't know there were rules to dancing at metal gigs! :p
    ShawnRaven wrote: »

I've been to several gigs/clubs and in hundreds of moshes, and i'm not of big build, i'm only 5'10 and weigh about 11 stone. There's been times when i've even been one of the smallest guys in a mosh! Sometimes someone goes down, either being knocked or because the floor may be slippy from either sweat or beer. Should that happen, you stop for a second and you help the guy (or girl) back up, it's that simple.

I agree. People have so many misconceptions about metal, and the way the crowd reacts at gigs is one of them. It probably alienates people from getting into metal as they think everybody moshing is just a violent lunatic (which is not the case!). For me, moshing is one of the things I adore about metal- the way the band and crowd feed off each other's energy is amazing. You also see the camaderie of the metal communtity in the pit- as you say, anytime I've fallen over, somebody has always helped me back up.

Exactly! :)

Megadeth played A Tout Le Monde in Glasgow last night, which they didn't in Dublin, and also threw in a couple of things I wasn't expecting. I would go so far to say as Megadeth were the biggest draw of the concert last night since it seemed to almost calm down when Priest came on. I was suprised at the massive amount of support for the support band compared to the main act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Did Judas Priest setlist change at all from the Dublin show?

poundhound wrote: »
    Did Judas Priest setlist change at all from the Dublin show?

No, not that I noticed anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement