Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Where in star wars time line is this set ?
    Would the Mandalorian not have heard of Jedi ?

IIRC it's set a few years after the Battle of Endor and the early days of the New Republic. Hence why there's still pockets of Imperial presence, mostly around the fringe systems.

As to the Jedi, well that's the mess that is the Star Wars universe: by New Hope they seemed to be nothing more than a myth scoffed at by some, while there's no indication the arrival of Luke caused an uptick in belief. Does run counter to the fact the Jedi were a huge arm of the old Republic's government a mere ~30 years prior but hey ho

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

pixelburp wrote: »
    IIRC it's set a few years after the Battle of Endor and the early days of the New Republic. Hence why there's still pockets of Imperial presence, mostly around the fringe systems.

As to the Jedi, well that's the mess that is the Star Wars universe: by New Hope they seemed to be nothing more than a myth scoffed at by some, while there's sense the arrival of Luke caused an uptick in belief. Does run counter to the fact the Jedi were a huge arm of the old Republic's government a mere ~30 years prior but hey ho

So basically this is at the end of the original 3 movies , and just before the beginning of the latest 3 instalments ?

Yoda must die then ? if he was no whereto be seen in the latest 3 ,,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

As to the Jedi, well that's the mess that is the Star Wars universe: by New Hope they seemed to be nothing more than a myth scoffed at by some, while there's sense the arrival of Luke caused an uptick in belief. Does run counter to the fact the Jedi were a huge arm of the old Republic's government a mere ~30 years prior but hey ho

Same in Mandalorian, the Armourer talks of Jedi as a "race of sorcerers", but Luke was a general in the Resistance at this time, and Din says "may the force be with you" to the X wing pilots.
    So basically this is at the end of the original 3 movies , and just before the beginning of the latest 3 instalments ?

Yoda died in RotJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Same in Mandalorian, the Armourer talks of Jedi as a "race of sorcerers", but Luke was a general in the Resistance at this time, and Din says "may the force be with you" to the X wing pilots.

Yoda died in RotJ.

I mean Baby Yoda,
    If this is set just before the latest 3 movies you'd expect him to have been involved if he was knocking around the Universe plus he'd be older than he is in the Mandalorian

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Basically. As to the baby yoda, well we haven't seen how this story ends yet - but I suspect it'll amount to Mando finding Yoda's home and said home being removed enough from the politics and war of the central systems. The one consistency of the universe seems to be that the further towards the edge of the galaxy you travel, the more irrelevant the touch of the Empire / Republic becomes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,053 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I mean Baby Yoda,
    If this is set just before the latest 3 movies you'd expect him to have been involved if he was knocking around the Universe plus he'd be older than he is in the Mandalorian

He goes through Pon Farr and comes out as

ad324e74de1a0c8a3eec52d3fc0e0197.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

I cant see him dying really (cant see disney in 2020 killing off a character like him) I do see mando dying however at the end saving the child my guess would be.

I would say the child is brought far away into safe exile with some of his kind etc, never to be heard from again...similar to poochie

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As to the Jedi, well that's the mess that is the Star Wars universe: by New Hope they seemed to be nothing more than a myth scoffed at by some, while there's no indication the arrival of Luke caused an uptick in belief. Does run counter to the fact the Jedi were a huge arm of the old Republic's government a mere ~30 years prior but hey ho

The only way it makes sense to me is if the Empire engaged in a systemic propaganda campaign after RoTS and deleted or rewrote a lot of the official records prior to ANH

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Empire was ultimately defeated by a few poorly equipped space ships and a load of small bears with sticks.

And Anakin, who actually did bring balance in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The only way it makes sense to me is if the Empire engaged in a systemic propaganda campaign after RoTS and deleted or rewrote a lot of the official records prior to ANH

The only way it makes sense is if you just don't watch the prequels.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

What the Mandalorian is selling to me is that whether it's the Empire or Republic, there's huge chunks of the galaxy not governed, nor care to be governed, by either entity. Heck, if you think of a country like America, you don't have to go far into the countryside of the redder Red States to find areas functionally divorced from the relevance of Washington. The prequels made ignorance of the Jedi a little hard to believe, but then this universe doesn't strike as being particularly educated or literate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Damn that theme tune is just so good and fits perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Genuine question - why are people using spoiler tags when the thread title clearly warns that here thar be spoilers?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What the Mandalorian is selling to me is that whether it's the Empire or Republic, there's huge chunks of the galaxy not governed, nor care to be governed, by either entity. Heck, if you think of a country like America, you don't have to go far into the countryside of the redder Red States to find areas functionally divorced from the relevance of Washington.

I think this has always been part of Star Wars lore though. There's (as I understand it anyway) an outer rim and an inner core. The inner core is where most of civilisation is, with the seat of power be Coruscant. While the outer rim is akin to the wild west. Largely lawless and untamed, cos there's bugger all out the to be bothered with.

Tatooine is a good example of an outer rim planet. A huge ball of desert sand with a couple of ports here and there and a place where you have de facto Marshals pop up to try and keep and ad hoc peace. But they care neither for the Empire or the New Republic, although each faction may have their sympathisers to some degree.
    The prequels made ignorance of the Jedi a little hard to believe, but then this universe doesn't strike as being particularly educated or literate.

The mess of the prequels is in a very deep way responsible for the mess of the over all Star Wars story. A mess the producers keep getting deeper and deeper into. it's a massive, unnavigable, quagmire at this stage.

The thing that keeps 'The Mandalorian' afloat is that it isn't trying to have too much of an impact on the story as a whole, and therefore is keeping out of adding to the swamp. It's been mainly its own thing.

This, of course, is subject to change. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Oh he has a name.

However even better was the name dropped near the end of the episode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Had my doubts about Rosario Dawson playing that part ever since she was announced and always knew they would use her own voice and not Ashley Eckstein's, but she was great. Pleasantly surprised. I suppose with Filoni being the director he gave her the definitive insight into how to inhabit the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

However even better was the name dropped near the end of the episode :)

Very true.....interesting times ahead (I hope):)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

I'm really enjoying the top drawer guest apperances in this - Timothy Olyphant, Katee Sackhoff, Titus Welliver and now Rosario Dawson Michael Biehn! :D Nearly feel that I need to watch Aliens again tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Am I the only one who thinks they are setting up a possible appearance by Luke in season 3 . By seasons end Mando will have gotten Grogo to the planet Ashoka mentioned, Grogo will reach out through the force and we'll cut to Sebastian Stans Luke opening his eyes * cue credits*

It just felt like Ashokas " there aren't many Jedi left" was tailored to make us think of the only other Jedi we know is alive at this point. Granted they've left things vague enough that if its someother random jedi its not contradicting anything .

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Doyler99

Really enjoyed that episode. You can really tell they put so much thought into all of the small details. I would of shed a tear if mando and the child had to depart each other! How many episodes are left in Season 2?

• Advertisement

Anyone else think that her horns/tails head piece looks a bit under-developed? I was expecting it to be a bit larger like in Rebels.

Doyler99 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that episode. You can really tell they put so much thought into all of the small details. I would of shed a tear if mando and the child had to depart each other! How many episodes are left in Season 2?

I'm hoping it's more than 8 (in total). I think usually the 1st season of most tv shows are shorter in episode count as there is that uncertainty as to whether they will be renewed by the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Doyler99 wrote: »
    You can really tell they put so much thought into all of the small details.

Loved the owl perched on one the branches before Ahsoka confronts the Mando. And the Loth-cat again.
    Anyone else think that her horns/tails head piece looks a bit under-developed? I was expecting it to be a bit larger like in Rebels.

Yep, I thought that as well. A few times. Animation is always going to be a bit exaggerated, but then again you have Shaak Ti in the prequel movies that looked more like you'd expect Ahsoka to look at this particular point in time. In saying that, I'm fine with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This was the best episode of Mandalorian yet. I really like how they didn't draw out the first on screen appearance of Ahsoka. It was opening credits and bang, double white light sabre. As far as introductions go it was close to perfect. Established immediately how much of a threat she is.

I also really appreciate that they didn't beat us over the head with Ahsoka's backstory. There's a lot of (admittedly great) baggage there. But they just hinted at her past with Anakin and Yoda before focusing more on The Kid.

Filoni and Favreau deserve a lot of credit for not treating their viewers like idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I think this show is close to perfect. What's not to love about the show, has action, storytelling, Lore and characters that you can love and hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought the Magistrate was presented as quite bland. Didn't think the plan from Mando and the Jedi was too great either once he had revealed he had been sent to kill her. I was expecting a better use of the element of surprise, such as him turning up and pretending to have her body or something. Surely it would make more sense to go with a strategy that would keep their guard down, as opposed to putting them on high alert right away. I'm starting to realise why there aren't many Jedi or Mandalorians around! I liked the scenes with Grogu and their connection has been built well. Overall, a good episode. Still prefer last week's one as my favourite of the season.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Loved it. Thought Ahsoka worked well but I agree with the earlier post which mentioned her appearance. It was kind of half live action/half animated. I dunno, she looked a bit off or something. But a great introduction for her.

As for that awful medieval music at the end...I thought they were all going to start morris dancing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Clegg wrote: »
    This was the best episode of Mandalorian yet. I really like how they didn't draw out the first on screen appearance of Ahsoka. It was opening credits and bang, double white light sabre. As far as introductions go it was close to perfect. Established immediately how much of a threat she is.

I also really appreciate that they didn't beat us over the head with Ahsoka's backstory. There's a lot of (admittedly great) baggage there. But they just hinted at her past with Anakin and Yoda before focusing more on The Kid.

Filoni and Favreau deserve a lot of credit for not treating their viewers like idiots.

Bit in bold
    I'm relieved because I'm only near the end of season 2 of Clone Wars and I was afraid of a lot of spoilers for that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I just know the name Thrawn, having not watched the animated series but seems like he could be a big deal. But there's too many seasons to watch, especially if it continues on in Star Wars: Rebels (which it does? I think?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ixoy wrote: »
    I just know the name Thrawn, having not watched the animated series but seems like he could be a big deal. But there's too many seasons to watch, especially if it continues on in Star Wars: Rebels (which it does? I think?).

Thrawn basically re-kick started Star Wars in the early 90's with the Expanded Universe books.

So yes he would very big deal to a lot of fans.

Advertisement