Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Perth & Thinking of Heading Home

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Do you have full working rights in new zealan if you have Australian PR

You do!

As an Australian PR, you can work outside of Oz for 3 years out of every 5, before having to return if you want to renew your PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Undertow wrote: »
    You do!

As an Australian PR, you can work outside of Oz for 3 years out of every 5, before having to return if you want to renew your PR.

Thanks Mate! I must say the people on boards are lot more helpful than the Australian Alternative Whirlpool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

You do!

So are you saying that if you have australian PR you can work in NZ without limitations or needing a visa for NZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

rightyabe wrote: »
    So are you saying that if you have australian PR you can work in NZ without limitations or needing a visa for NZ?

That's not right anyway. Having aussie citizenship allows you to work in NZ without restrictions - aussie PR doesn't give you any work rights to NZ

EDIT: I got this wrong - you can work in NZ as an aussie PR. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Nope, he's correct. Aussie PR can work in NZ:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/worktoresidence/caniworkinnz/

Doesn't work the other way around though

• Advertisement

That's not right anyway. Having aussie citizenship allows you to work in NZ without restrictions - aussie PR doesn't give you any work rights to NZ

I'm in that position mate, so I think I'd know!

Wow - apologies, I genuinely didn't know that. I was counting that as an extra reason for applyinf for aussie citizenship! I'll edit my last post.

While we're on the topic - can I get the dole in NZ either as an aussie PR or citizen?

Wow - apologies, I genuinely didn't know that. I was counting that as an extra reason for applyinf for aussie citizenship! I'll edit my last post.

While we're on the topic - can I get the dole in NZ either as an aussie PR or citizen?

No worries! :)

I very much doubt you'd be entitled to dole in NZ as either an Aussie PR or citizen, but I'm open to correction!

FWIW if you're thinking of heading to NZ, I couldn't recommend it enough. I've been here for the past 2 years and I much preferred it to Oz. The economy is booming too. The only drawback is that its so far away from home!

No worries! :)

I very much doubt you'd be entitled to dole in NZ as either an Aussie PR or citizen, but I'm open to correction!

FWIW if you're thinking of heading to NZ, I couldn't recommend it enough. I've been here for the past 2 years and I much preferred it to Oz. The economy is booming too. The only drawback is that its so far away from home!

Yeah I've been to NZ twice before and will be going again for 2 months next year. I found that most places in NZ were better than most places in Aus but melbourne was my favourite place of either country by quite a distance so I couldn't consider living anywhere in NZ ahead of Melbourne. Still though, NZ is a far better country to spend a few weeks travelling so I'm surprised more people don't go there than Aus.

I should be getting Aussie citizenship in a couple of months so was just seeing if it might make me eligible for the dole over there but I highly doubt it would. Worth a try asking though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Donedeal990

Don't know if negativity is the right word but perth has lost its positivity. I know if of a lot of people who have lost their jobs recently with the downturn up north. Most people I talk to have a wait and see attitude but it does seem perth is in for a tough few years ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭yogimotorsport

Can I ask why would you want to get the dole when you if you move there.
    Are you not planning on working?

Can I ask why would you want to get the dole when you if you move there.
    Are you not planning on working?

I won't be moving there permanently, I will just be travelling around for approx 2 months so won't be working while I'm there

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I won't be moving there permanently, I will just be travelling around for approx 2 months so won't be working while I'm there
    To get Jobseeker Support in New Zealand you have to be (a) unemployed and looking for work, or (b) part-time employed and looking for more work, or (c) temporarily unable to work because of illness or injury. "Travelling around for approx 2 months" won't qualify you.

(From memory, you also have to be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident who has lived in NZ for at least two years, and who normally lives there. That, too, would rule you out. But in your circumstances the question doesn't arise.)

Peregrinus wrote: »
    To get Jobseeker Support in New Zealand you have to be (a) unemployed and looking for work, or (b) part-time employed and looking for more work, or (c) temporarily unable to work because of illness or injury. "Travelling around for approx 2 months" won't qualify you.

(From memory, you also have to be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident who has lived in NZ for at least two years, and who normally lives there. That, too, would rule you out. But in your circumstances the question doesn't arise.)

That's alright, thanks for the info. Yeah I guessed I wouldn't be able to get anything but thought it would be worth my while trying. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Just an update there guys on the state of affairs back in Ireland.
    Moved home about 3 weeks ago to Cork from Perth.
    Got lucky and got a job through a contact 2 days after arriving so that was excellent.
    Some observations:
    I work in construction so in that regard things are improving and there is definitely an improvement but outside of Dublin it is still very slow, Cork is still pretty quiet but if you are prepared to live/work/commute to Dublin there are opportunities out there, still probably 12 months off some solid improvement but there are green shoots.
    Property is increasing in value again, subject to location of course but 5-10% increases in value around my area being predicted for 2015/2016.
    Few things to watch out for:
    Health Insurance - similar to Australia there is now a levy which increases every year you don't have it, get it once you come home or before it even, you will be excused the levy by most companies if you are returning from overseas and had insurance before you left Ireland originally.
    Car Insurance, i was getting ridiculous quotes up to €6500 online but in the end went to a broker and got insured in a 1.6L car worth around 10k for €650. i was lucky though as i still had my Irish licence so the NCB didn't really come in to it.
    Word of warning many insurance companies now flatly refusing to insure cars over 15 years old, 1 company actually cutting off at 10 years old (allegedly).
    Big shortage of reasonably priced small-medium cars from 08-09 as the car tax changed in 08 to omissions and in 09 there was feck all cars sold... !
    Government has brought in free GP visits for kids under 6 and people over 70 recently so that's good for families with kids.
    That's all i can think of for now, its good to be home....i find myself smiling at stupid things like the tractors hauling silage on the main road in rush hour being driven by 10 year old kids etc...won't get that anywhere else...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

d.pop wrote: »
    Just an update there guys on the state of affairs back in Ireland.
    Moved home about 3 weeks ago to Cork from Perth.
    Got lucky and got a job through a contact 2 days after arriving so that was excellent.
    Some observations:
    I work in construction so in that regard things are improving and there is definitely an improvement but outside of Dublin it is still very slow, Cork is still pretty quiet but if you are prepared to live/work/commute to Dublin there are opportunities out there, still probably 12 months off some solid improvement but there are green shoots.
    Property is increasing in value again, subject to location of course but 5-10% increases in value around my area being predicted for 2015/2016.
    Few things to watch out for:
    Health Insurance - similar to Australia there is now a levy which increases every year you don't have it, get it once you come home or before it even, you will be excused the levy by most companies if you are returning from overseas and had insurance before you left Ireland originally.
    Car Insurance, i was getting ridiculous quotes up to €6500 online but in the end went to a broker and got insured in a 1.6L car worth around 10k for €650. i was lucky though as i still had my Irish licence so the NCB didn't really come in to it.
    Word of warning many insurance companies now flatly refusing to insure cars over 15 years old, 1 company actually cutting off at 10 years old (allegedly).
    Big shortage of reasonably priced small-medium cars from 08-09 as the car tax changed in 08 to omissions and in 09 there was feck all cars sold... !
    Government has brought in free GP visits for kids under 6 and people over 70 recently so that's good for families with kids.
    That's all i can think of for now, its good to be home....i find myself smiling at stupid things like the tractors hauling silage on the main road in rush hour being driven by 10 year old kids etc...won't get that anywhere else...!

thanks for the follow up. how about income tax, someone was telling me its increased significantly??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    God I miss home. I'm here in Christchurch nearly 2 years now. Really getting sick of it. The only thing keeping me here is the insane amount of work..
    so the money you are making out weighs your home sickness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Kind of?? that mindset isn't going to help your time in Christchurch. you have a great opportunity and i'm sure there are plenty at home who would swap with you if you aren't going to make the most of it.

i don't know about NZ permanent residency but Aus PR isn't that permanent. if you're not in the country, it expires after 5 years. NZ may be different, dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

lg123 wrote: »
    thanks for the follow up. how about income tax, someone was telling me its increased significantly??

Haven't been paid yet, monthly salary and not due for few weeks, will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I paid a lot more in income tax in the UK than in Ireland but I was much happier to be passing them the money than to the shower of wasters in the Dail.

Consumption taxes are higher in Ireland though, that's where you might feel it more but your lifestyle choices can negate that to a certain extent

I paid a lot more in income tax in the UK than in Ireland but I was much happier to be passing them the money than to the shower of wasters in the Dail.

Consumption taxes are higher in Ireland though, that's where you might feel it more but your lifestyle choices can negate that to a certain extent
    yes, its a different kinda approach. Britain is higher income tax and low VAT, Ireland used to be the opposite - don't now how things are now.

Just an update on my situation guy, on temporary lay-off from work at the moment a week after I signed a 12 month lease. Things are looking fairly bleak on the work side of things. Just trying to sort out my notice period at the moment and get the job hunt rolling again

Just an update on my situation guy, on temporary lay-off from work at the moment a week after I signed a 12 month lease. Things are looking fairly bleak on the work side of things. Just trying to sort out my notice period at the moment and get the job hunt rolling again

I know its a bit late in the day but just an update for anyone who is interested.
    Finish up working with my company and landed a job with a Tier 1 mining company. So far looks like things going quite with my previous employer could be a blessing starting the FIFO roster in a few weeks so should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

Bump!

How do people adjust to drops in income when they go home? Tax seems to gobble up any decent income earned.

I have never earned what would be considered to be 'great' money in Australia. But at the end of every week I had money left over to do as I please with. While things here are very expensive, I feel that the cost of living is probably cheaper than Ireland given the amount of disposable income available and the very progressive tax system.

The above is making me very apprehensive about going home as one has to afford to have some sort of quality of life.

Would probably be on 35K if I got a job back home, not sure that would cut it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Timistry wrote: »
    Bump!

How do people adjust to drops in income when they go home? Tax seems to gobble up any decent income earned.

I have never earned what would be considered to be 'great' money in Australia. But at the end of every week I had money left over to do as I please with. While things here are very expensive, I feel that the cost of living is probably cheaper than Ireland given the amount of disposable income available and the very progressive tax system.

The above is making me very apprehensive about going home as one has to afford to have some sort of quality of life.

Would probably be on 35K if I got a job back home, not sure that would cut it...

You could get by on it alright. Depends...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Timistry wrote: »
    Bump!

I think you may be needlessly worried.

Country-to-country tax comparisons are difficult because tax systems are different around the margins (how they treat married vs single status, for example) and when you include social security it becomes more difficult (because social security contributions in one country may carry benefits that are not provided in another). But if you plug a €35,000 salary for a single person into the PWC Ireland tax calculator you get a combined tax/PRSI/USC/etc rate of 21%. If you plug the AUD equivalent into a comparable Australian site you get a rate of 19%. Lower, but not massively lower - it works out at about €13.50 a week difference.

This is likely to be eclipsed, one way or the other, by differential rates of pay for the job you do (you may be earning more or less than €35,000 in your Australian job) or differences in your circumstances (you might have more favourable tax treatment in Ireland if you are married, or have a mortgage) or by differences in the cost of living between Ireland and Australia.

Advertisement