Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Perth & Thinking of Heading Home

Options
  • 26-05-2015 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have been living in Australia for the last 3 years with my partner and I am considering heading home.

Things are not as busy in WA as they were 2 or 3 years ago and seem to be going only one way, the idea was to come over and get some work in the Mining or Oil & Gas sectors for a few years.

Unfortunately this has not worked out due to resources sector downturn the market is now saturated with engineers.
    Now we are seriously considering coming back to Ireland. There was a lot of doom and gloom when I left in 2012.

Looking for you guy’s opinion on some of the following:
    • What is the job market currently like for Controls Systems Engineers and E&I
    Engineers
    • Are jobs paying good $$$ or is a case of an employers market
    • What are property prices like in cork
    • Are Bank’s lending again, how difficult is it to get a mortgage

I currently work for a company as a Control Systems Engineer for the last 1 & ½ years before this I worked as an E&I Engineer for 2 years in both Ireland & Australia. I started out initially as an Electrician back in the day however I have not worked as one in over 5 years.

Just testing the waters to see what people think on moving back to Ireland is it a good time or should I stick it out in Australia for as long as I have work.

Any input is appreciated thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you are in anything related to construction there should be jobs in Ireland in the years ahead. The water and sewerage system is being upgraded. A number of road projects have already started plus a lot of housing is needed.
    A year ago was a good time to come home. A lot of lads I knew have come home and are in jobs.

Re property prices. Someone like yourself coming back from Oz with a bit of cash saved are in a great position to pick up property at a decent price. A lot of people can't seem to buy because they don't have a deposit or simply don't have secure work.
    Wages in construction I don't know about. The days of big wages are gone. Various reports around (one on journal.ie today) that construction wages are still falling but if you are a decent worker you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Can confirm, moved back from Perh a few months ago, wife has full time job already, I'm doing some casual work but hoping to start my own business. Wasn't like this even a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Moving home myself in 8 weeks, have been watching the jobs market for a while now and talking to few people that have made the move already.
    While it's not the boom years seems to be picking up a little for "professionals" prepared to work away from home to start with, maybe Dublin or London...?

Property prices seem to be creeping up slowly, I have a house in Cork and while it's still €125k below whatever we paid originally it is creeping up, slowly!

Talking to banks about a new mortgage the biggest delay is not having a work history in Ireland, still old school looking for perm jobs etc.
    I spoke to BoI and best they could do me was a 50% non resident mortgage, we're hoping to rent for 12 months, build a credit/saving history again then buy.

Good luck with the move, hopefully in a few months I'll come back on here and update with more a accurate assessment for people considering the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Thanks for the replies guys,

At the moment I am researching the job market and the pay back home

Just trying make a heads tale of Ireland V Australia.

Any one have any info on the pharma job market had some experience in that before I left?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

• What are property prices like in cork
    • Are Bank’s lending again, how difficult is it to get a mortgage

I moved back to Cork in March and I also lived in Perth for three years. Trying to apply for a mortgage at the moment and it will take you at least 5-6 months before you can get one. I'm hoping to apply in September.

Everyone requires six months statements, if your a first time buyer you have to have 10% of the house price for your deposit. You must have regular savings in Ireland. If you start a permanent job over here then you must also get over your probation period. If you don't have a job over here then you won't get a mortgage.

In saying that the house market, is a bit dry at the moment and the standard of house isn't as good as its in Oz. I'd say a lot of people are holding off selling in the hope prices go up more, but this is unlikely to happen as First Time Buyers can only realistically get a mortgage of €220,000 (MAX) meaning the price of the house would be €242,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Any one have any info on the pharma job market had some experience in that before I left?

Pharma market is going quite well at the moment. I returned home from Melbourne at Christmas and was looking in Dublin only though.
    Was quite picky with jobs but secured a good job by mid February (was getting itchy feet by that stage but glad i took my time in retrospect).

I work in quality so i cannot speak about the engineering side of things but its worth calling as many recruiters and people you know in the industry to gauge the jobs market at the moment.

gudede wrote: »
    I moved back to Cork in March and I also lived in Perth for three years. Trying to apply for a mortgage at the moment and it will take you at least 5-6 months before you can get one. I'm hoping to apply in September.

Everyone requires six months statements, if your a first time buyer you have to have 10% of the house price for your deposit. You must have regular savings in Ireland. If you start a permanent job over here then you must also get over your probation period. If you don't have a job over here then you won't get a mortgage.

In saying that the house market, is a bit dry at the moment and the standard of house isn't as good as its in Oz. I'd say a lot of people are holding off selling in the hope prices go up more, but this is unlikely to happen as First Time Buyers can only realistically get a mortgage of €220,000 (MAX) meaning the price of the house would be €242,000.

I thought they brought in a rule for first time buyers that you need 20% did this materialize ??

Like you guys have said tho you need fulltime permanent work + history rental hisory and Cash they donts make it easy do they

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

I thought they brought in a rule for first time buyers that you need 20% did this materialize ??

Like you guys have said tho you need fulltime permanent work + history rental hisory and Cash they donts make it easy do they

For first time buyers is 10%, its 20% for a person who already purchased a house in Ireland and 30% (or more) then for investors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Donedeal990

It does seem like now is the time to leave, i don't want to sound pessimistic but I can only see things getting a lot worse in Perth in the next 12 months. The initial impact of a near total cessation of mining construction work up North will have far reaching and widespread impact on the wider WA and Australian economies.

I personally know of quite a few Irish and also English Scottish that have gone home in the last six months.

Ya thats a fair point allrite Donedeal990 you dont sound pessimistic more realistic. there is still quite a lot of construction going on in the city for the next year anyway with the new train stations and Dockers stadium not to mention all the commercial / residential apartments flying up.
    Mining has had a major effect on WA in general the only saviours at the moment are Roy Hill and the 2 Chevron Gas jobs if they were gone there would be no active construction job up north of any decent size.

Currently im saving around 400Euro a week I think I would struggle to get a job in Ireland where I could save this much

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Ya thats a fair point allrite Donedeal990 you dont sound pessimistic more realistic. there is still quite a lot of construction going on in the city for the next year anyway with the new train stations and Dockers stadium not to mention all the commercial / residential apartments flying up.
    Mining has had a major effect on WA in general the only saviours at the moment are Roy Hill and the 2 Chevron Gas jobs if they were gone there would be no active construction job up north of any decent size.

Currently im saving around 400Euro a week I think I would struggle to get a job in Ireland where I could save this much

Have you thought about going back to being an electrician? There's a good bit of work up north for sparks but I'm guessing you don't have an electrical licence if you haven't worked at it in Australia.
    Construction is slowing down but there's always going to be a need for maintenance and shutdown electricians.

The Electrician trade is a licence to print money over here and there is considerable work up north you are correct there.

However the rules in transferring my electrician qualifications over changed when I came to Oz. For me to now transfer it over I would have to pay approx 10k AUS in courses take 4 weeks off to do these courses ($$$) and then obtain a job to complete a 1000 hours logbook as a Trade Assistant on $20 which is about 6 months of work, thus the overall cost and time is quite significant with a very big risk associated with it.

So at the moment thats not a viable option; engineering is really a dire market here in Perth lots of engineers with not that many jobs. Thus I am keeping an eye out for lucrative engineering jobs up north but with little direct project exposure to these jobs I feel I have an uphill battle, Its all about who you know

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

The Electrician trade is a licence to print money over here and there is considerable work up north you are correct there.

However the rules in transferring my electrician qualifications over changed when I came to Oz. For me to now transfer it over I would have to pay approx 10k AUS in courses take 4 weeks off to do these courses ($$$) and then obtain a job to complete a 1000 hours logbook as a Trade Assistant on $20 which is about 6 months of work, thus the overall cost and time is quite significant with a very big risk associated with it.

So at the moment thats not a viable option; engineering is really a dire market here in Perth lots of engineers with not that many jobs. Thus I am keeping an eye out for lucrative engineering jobs up north but with little direct project exposure to these jobs I feel I have an uphill battle, Its all about who you know

And all of that to prove you are as good as an Aussie who has just completed their apprenticeship. It's a joke.
    Good luck with it anyway.

Ya couldnt vent my frustration at the sparky changeover rules enough especially when I have over 10 years industrial experience typical Oz you need a cert to fart out here

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

How did you go from being an electrician to an E&I/Control systems engineer, is that 3 or 4 years of college?

b4bmm wrote: »
    How did you go from being an electrician to an E&I/Control systems engineer, is that 3 or 4 years of college?

Sure is 3 years for an honours Level 8

How did you find the transition?

How did you find the transition?

From electrician to engineer! First year or two can be challenging trying to find your feet because the engineering field has more range to cover, but the trade background is a big +

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GladWrap

With your qualifications and experience, Stickman, I am really surprised you aren't considering your options in other parts of Australia, such as Queensland.

GladWrap wrote: »
    With your qualifications and experience, Stickman, I am really surprised you aren't considering your options in other parts of Australia, such as Queensland.

Think if I had to uproot my other half there would be only one place we'd be going if you know what I mean!

Do you reckon their is much happening over their? What have you heard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 GladWrap

What a shame. Australia is more than just WA. I'm fortunate to have lived all over and while I would not recommend South Australia, I know there's plenty of work in Queensland.

Just one example: http://www.seek.com.au/job/28872102?pos=10&type=standout

Having lived in Queensland before - Brisbane, Central and North Qld - I can honestly tell you that the living standard is good and, I would submit, better than Perth's.

Personally, with Ireland in the shape it's in at the moment, I'd be checking out other options prior to flying back. But if your partner is homesick then that's a different kettle of fish and that's a hard one to navigate.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the info Gladwrap jobs like that are two a penny advertised here in Perth aswell particularly for the Gorgon and Wheatstone jobs in WA but in reality you need a good contacts to get on-board as you probably well know recruitment consultants in WA are not the best at thinking outside the box and matching potential skills unless less its like for like!

My issue is most of my mates are in the trades and are in the process of getting there PR trying to get up north;

What industry do you work in yourself ? Are you located in QLD?

Thanks for the info Gladwrap jobs like that are two a penny advertised here in Perth aswell particularly for the Gorgon and Wheatstone jobs in WA but in reality you need a good contacts to get on-board as you probably well know recruitment consultants in WA are not the best at thinking outside the box and matching potential skills unless less its like for like!

My issue is most of my mates are in the trades and are in the process of getting there PR trying to get up north;

What industry do you work in yourself ? Are you located in QLD?

Are you on a working holiday?

Are you on a working holiday?

Hi mate I have my PR

Surprising you are struggling then. Have you got a linkdin page, I notice from a friend that he gets contacted quite often now for positions, it seems to be as much of a job site as a professional link webpage. Put some effort into setting up a professional profile and start linking with people it might come good for you.

FYI guys, am sure you have heard by now about the cost of car insurance when you are out of Ireland for more than 2 years but it came as a bit of a shock to me when I tried to get a quote on line. Only 1 crowd would quote me, 6500e for a 3500e 2008 car at 2.0L. I just made up the car as that was what I had before leaving and I knew the cost.
    I'll let you know when I get home in 2 weeks how I got on and actually speak to somebody in person but in hindsight I should have got myself named on a parents policy.
    Worth considering doing that if you're long term goal is moving home.
    I got a letter from my company in Aus with my NCB, hope the Irish company will accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

d.pop wrote: »
    Only 1 crowd would quote me, 6500e for a 3500e 2008 car at 2.0L. I just made up the car as that was what I had before leaving and I knew the cost.

F*ck, thats the height of insanity!! No way in hell would I pay a fraction of it.

Undertow wrote: »
    F*ck, thats the height of insanity!! No way in hell would I pay a fraction of it.

I know! I was paying around 450e insurance for similar car 5 years ago.
    20 years driving, not one accident all that time, leave Ireland for a few years and I become a menace to society....!

Realistically I am hoping to get some insurance for around a 1000e but am prepared for the worst.
    With insurance compulsory you're kinda screwed unless you live and work on a public transport route which I won't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Ridiculous amount of work here in Christchurch..

Do you have full working rights in new zealan if you have Australian PR

Advertisement