Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Android watch should i get

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I bought the Huawei watch 2 4g version on amazon.co.uk for about 150 euro delivered the other day. Seems like the best price it's been for 4g version. It was from the warehouse and marked 'good' but it literally hadn't been touched. I'm pretty sure they're selling off stock. It was 170 sterling but reduced to around 130 with the current 20 percent off for prime members

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

JamboTyson wrote: »
    "For anyone affected by this, a workaround is to install payenabler from the play store"

Just wondering if this workaround is still good as I read elsewhere it's based now on where card is registered? Thinking getting smartwatch and would love to be able to use google pay.

It works but overall it is quite slow to use. Using google pay on my S8 phone is far quicker and better

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JamboTyson

Have ordered the Ticwatch Pro, will post thoughts on it later this week once it arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 10,380 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Have ordered the Ticwatch Pro, will post thoughts on it later this week once it arrives

Following for this. Handsome looking device, price isn't too saucy either... The only thing that would put me off is that apparently new hardware is coming for better performing watches, although apparently that's been coming for months and months already...

dulpit wrote: »
    Following for this. Handsome looking device, price isn't too saucy either... The only thing that would put me off is that apparently new hardware is coming for better performing watches, although apparently that's been coming for months and months already...

Got it today. Really like it so far price also dropped to £198 on Amazon. I know theres prob better coming later in the year but I imagine they'll be really expensive. Will post more details in next couple of days after some solid use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,380 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Got it today. Really like it so far price also dropped to £198 on Amazon. I know theres prob better coming later in the year but I imagine they'll be really expensive. Will post more details in next couple of days after some solid use

Photos too please

It seems like they've stopped whatever nonsense they were at with Google Pay anyway. It's not disappearing anymore. Haven't used it yet though

griffdaddy wrote: »
    It seems like they've stopped whatever nonsense they were at with Google Pay anyway. It's not disappearing anymore. Haven't used it yet though

Still not showing on my wear os I have to enable with work around? That keeps it there for around 20 mins. Did you get a new update or something?

Still not showing on my wear os I have to enable with work around? That keeps it there for around 20 mins. Did you get a new update or something?

Just used it on lunch there and everything is working fine. There was an update to pay, both on phone and watch and also wear os app on watch. Search for it in the watch app store and there should be an option to update

Also, if you have a hardware watch button, I recommend assigning it to launch pay. You need to have the app open on watch to use pay

Just used it on lunch there and everything is working fine. There was an update to pay, both on phone and watch and also wear os app on watch. Search for it in the watch app store and there should be an option to update

Also, if you have a hardware watch button, I recommend assigning it to launch pay. You need to have the app open on watch to use pay

OK thanks will keep an eye out. Google pay for me in play store says last update was June 22nd so there's no update pending for me. I did update wear os app yesterday. I assume this is android you're talking about and not IOS?

• Advertisement

What version of the app do you have on your phone and watch?

Phone app is 2.70.204965962 updated July 20th
    Watch app is 2.70.203871638 updated 9th July. I'm running Oreo on an S8+ and Oreo on Huawei watch 2 LTE

Phone app is 2.70.204965962 updated July 20th
    Watch app is 2.70.203871638 updated 9th July. I'm running Oreo on an S8+ and Oreo on Huawei watch 2 LTE

Thanks for that my phone version matches yours but watch app is still from Feb. Not sure how to get that to update, guess I'll just have to wait and see if it auto updates soon

Thanks for that my phone version matches yours but watch app is still from Feb. Not sure how to get that to update, guess I'll just have to wait and see if it auto updates soon

Try to delete pay enabler then searching for Google pay in the watch app market, clicking enable or update and enable a screen lock. Maybe even enable that first

Try to delete pay enabler then searching for Google pay in the watch app market, clicking enable or update and enable a screen lock. Maybe even enable that first

No joy there but thanks for the suggestions anyway. Looks like I'll just have to wait it out who knows it may only be sorted for huawei devices initially

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Still happy with this? I'm considering ordering - can I ask if it comes with a plug or just USB cable?

Still happy with this? I'm considering ordering - can I ask if it comes with a plug or just USB cable?

Yes, I think it's great it's my first smart watch never fancied getting into them in the past because of battery times but at the moment I'm on pace to get 3 days smart use out of this and would still prob have juice for essential mode as well. That's with wrist gestures off but screen still wakes for notifications which suits me fine. I'd consider my usage normal over last 2 days, notifications flowing in, some NFC payments (with pay enabler workaround) , google assistant etc. I turn it off a night but have it in use then roughly 16 hours a day. I actually really like the LCD screen great to be able to just tell the time and steps without waking it so that's a big battery saver

It looks great as well, I went for the all black version. I have order my own strap though I'm not rally a fan of the leather look but that's just my preference.

Honesty have no major negatives at the moment. Would be a great bonus if Google pay gets sorted for here without the work around. It might be on the way as it seems to be working now for Huawei 2.

It comes with just a USB for charging, watch docks on the magnetic port

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yes, I think it's great it's my first smart watch never fancied getting into them in the past because of battery times but at the moment I'm on pace to get 3 days smart use out of this and would still prob have juice for essential mode as well. That's with wrist gestures off but screen still wakes for notifications which suits me fine. I'd consider my usage normal over last 2 days, notifications flowing in, some NFC payments (with pay enabler workaround) , google assistant etc. I turn it off a night but have it in use then roughly 16 hours a day. I actually really like the LCD screen great to be able to just tell the time and steps without waking it so that's a big battery saver

It looks great as well, I went for the all black version. I have order my own strap though I'm not rally a fan of the leather look but that's just my preference.

Honesty have no major negatives at the moment. Would be a great bonus if Google pay gets sorted for here without the work around. It might be on the way as it seems to be working now for Huawei 2.

It comes with just a USB for charging, watch docks on the magnetic port
    Thanks - I actually like the brown strap version, seeing it on a lot of ads but doesn't seem to be available on Amazon or the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Would be a great bonus if Google pay gets sorted for here without the work around. It might be on the way as it seems to be working now for Huawei 2.

It doesn't work yet on my Huawei 2. I tried the suggested work arounds (previous post here and one from XDA forum) and none worked for me anyways.

T-Bird wrote: »
    It doesn't work yet on my Huawei 2. I tried the suggested work arounds (previous post here and one from XDA forum) and none worked for me anyways.

I know app update release times can vary even on the same device so maybe you'll get it soon. I have the exact same phone as my friend and he got a Google pay update on Friday and I only received it today!

Saying that though I can't find any sign of google pay for wear os version (2.70.203871638), anywhere. Was gonna try and manually load it to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I know app update release times can vary even on the same device so maybe you'll get it soon. I have the exact same phone as my friend and he got a Google pay update on Friday and I only received it today!

Saying that though I can't find any sign of google pay for wear os version (2.70.203871638), anywhere. Was gonna try and manually load it to watch.

I had the same versions of apps mentioned in the post and it didn't work.

Just had a look there and there was another Google pay update with release date of 23rd

Update: still needs enabling..

T-Bird wrote: »
    I had the same versions of apps mentioned in the post and it didn't work.

Just had a look there and there was another Google pay update with release date of 23rd

Update: still needs enabling..

Not sure what's going on so. That version number in your screen shot matches the version you have on my phone. I always thought wear os had its own version of pay

I'm with Ulster bank if that makes a difference. I also have revolut set up with it. Still working away

I'm with Ulster bank if that makes a difference. I also have revolut set up with it. Still working away

Got a Google pay update on my ticwatch this morning but it disabled again after 30 mins or so. I'm with AIB and also have revolut setup with it. After the update installed I uninstalled pay enabler and set up Google pay with a shortcut that worked initially but eventually stopped again. So annoying!

I will say one thing, it's pretty slow to load, you'd almost want it ready to go when you get to till. It is handy though, especially on the 4g watch. It means I can leave my phone or whatever in the office and everything I need, including calls and money, is forwarded through the watch.

Edit just to say - there's a developer preview of Android P for the Huawei watch 2. It might solve or exasperate the problem, I haven't installed it yet. It might be something to consider if you're arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

I will say one thing, it's pretty slow to
    load, you'd almost want it ready to go when you get to till. It is handy though, especially on the 4g watch. It means I can leave my phone or whatever in the office and everything I need, including calls and money, is forwarded through the watch.

Have you a separate sim for the watch?

coach22 wrote: »
    Have you a separate sim for the watch?

Yeah, I'd bought the 3uk 12 gb 12 month sim for travelling before and it works great for the watch as well

I will say one thing, it's pretty slow to load, you'd almost want it ready to go when you get to till. It is handy though, especially on the 4g watch. It means I can leave my phone or whatever in the office and everything I need, including calls and money, is forwarded through the watch.

Edit just to say - there's a developer preview of Android P for the Huawei watch 2. It might solve or exasperate the problem, I haven't installed it yet. It might be something to consider if you're arsed.

Looks like an update to speed it up is on the way....

https://9to5google.com/2018/07/25/google-wear-os-update-faster-google-pay/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Yeah, I'd bought the 3uk 12 gb 12 month sim for travelling before and it works great for the watch as well

Is your Google account or bank cards setup in UK or something? Maybe that's why you're able to use Pay with no issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Google pay definitely still disabling on my watch in any case. Updated the app, still the same.

Advertisement