Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 NFL season - Week 9 thread

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Why are the Chicago Bears always so crap?? Even when they are winning they are always defensive and dull. They are one of the oldest teams in nfl but must be least successful with only 1 SB. I used to support them when I started watching in the early 90s but had to switch to the Green Bay Packers in the 00’s. Because the Bears are so crap.

Imagine switching allegiance to your teams' biggest rival after a decade of 'support'. :o

The Packers' achievements aren't much to write home about either. They've had elite QB play for 30 years straight and all they have to show for it is 2 Superbowls.

As for your 'defensive and dull' comment

giphy.gif

Defensive football rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I mean, Rodgers is good but he's no Trubisky after the 2 minute warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why are the Chicago Bears always so crap?? Even when they are winning they are always defensive and dull. They are one of the oldest teams in nfl but must be least successful with only 1 SB. I used to support them when I started watching in the early 90s but had to switch to the Green Bay Packers in the 00’s. Because the Bears are so crap.
    When did the Chicago Bears have very good QB?
    I'm a long time watching football and there's only three half decent QBs I remember with the Bears, those being Jim McMahon, Jim Harbaugh and Jay Cutler and I wouldn't call any of the three of them very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

eagle eye wrote: »
    When did the Chicago Bears have very good QB?
    I'm a long time watching football and there's only three half decent QBs I remember with the Bears, those being Jim McMahon, Jim Harbaugh and Jay Cutler and I wouldn't call any of the three of them very good.

The letter J seems to play an important role in being a half way successful QB in Chicago, so I'm officially on board with tanking for Justin Fields.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

No flags allowed against the Patriots, that's an NFL rule, them and the Packers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

No flags allowed against the Patriots, that's an NFL rule, them and the Packers.

What happened? Didn't see the start.

Edit: rewound. PI call on JC Jackson???

Jets kicked a field goal, but were 3rd & 5 and Flacco threw in the end zone, the defender arrived early, and made a load of contact, but the official didn't call it, and the commentary team more or less ignored it.

Jets kicked a field goal, but were 3rd & 5 and Flacco threw in the end zone, the defender arrived early, and made a load of contact, but the official didn't call it, and the commentary team more or less ignored it.

Bang on there. Just saw it. Yeah, glossed over a wee bit alright. Commentary did say "might have gotten away with one there".

Edit: rewound. PI call on JC Jackson???

Thought it was, he was beaten and looked like it

Well JC got found out there by Breshad Perriman.

That incident you guys were talking was very minor. Seen something similar the other night not called.

• Advertisement

Well JC got found out there by Breshad Perriman.

That incident you guys were talking was very minor. Seen something similar the other night not called.

You're correct on both counts tbf.

Where was this flacco last season for us?

Unreal, 4th and 1 from the shotgun. Way to help out the opposing D.

Where was this flacco last season for us?

He rarely turns up, watch this drive for the pick six. :D

He rarely turns up, watch this drive for the pick six. :D

Ha ha ha ☺️

Touchdown Jets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What a throw and catch.

Patriots getting no help from their defence, but if they lose they will blame Newton, easy scapegoat. Good game so far.

Ha ha ha ☺️

Not a pick six, but an overthrown interception, bad timing as well, jets could have done with running the clock.

It's looking like a loss to the Jets here. That's as bad as it gets.
    Looking like our worst season since 1992.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Better game than expected and possibly an entertaining finish coming up.

Patriots pull it out at the last second

Anyone else feel like that win was handed to us?

Jets were terrible in the 4th quarter, interception and then 3 and out including a sack, but a win is a win, so considering everyone will beat the Jets, its just a case of won't lose any more ground. Can see your point OK, but maybe that's why the Jets are 0-9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Joe Flacco, #TankHero

Gives us a decent game to watch, but ultimately throws it away at the death

Yup.

That 4th quarter from the was vintage Jerts.

Everything about it was a 0-9 team. It's like the first 3 quarters didn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭cosatron

phatkev wrote: »
    Joe Flacco, #TankHero

Gives us a decent game to watch, but ultimately throws it away at the death

Are the gm and gase as good as gone, no point in tanking if they are still around. Adam Gase has to be up there as one of the worst head coaches ive seen. His suppose to be some sort of qb whisperer but all i can see is qb improving beyond belief once they are shot of him, ryan tannehill being a prime example and i don't think Cutler gets enough credit for his time in chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

cosatron wrote: »
    Are the gm and gase as good as gone, no point in tanking if they are still around. Adam Gase has to be up there as one of the worst head coaches ive seen. His suppose to be some sort of qb whisperer but all i can see is qb improving beyond belief once they are shot of him, ryan tannehill being a prime example and i don't think Cutler gets enough credit for his time in chicago.

Gase is definitely gone, at this point you'd have to assume he's still there solely to drive the tank. No chance the GM is gone though, he's only had one draft after getting a 6 year deal and that draft has a bit of potential to it with Becton and Mims looking good

cosatron wrote:
    Are you calling every head coach for the last twenty years of the New York Jets a bad coach?

There's one thing they all have in common and that's that they worked for Woody Johnson.
    When you have the worst owner in the NFL you haven't much hope.

I'm not saying that Gase is a good coach just that you can't really call it unless he gets a job somewhere else. He's taken two awful jobs as head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Are you calling every head coach for the last twenty years of the New York Jets a bad coach?

Over the last 20 years the Jets have had one coach with above .500 career wins, and he only coached 16 games in the NFL!

So they have more than Woody in common

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭cosatron

There's one thing they all have in common and that's that they worked for Woody Johnson.
    When you have the worst owner in the NFL you haven't much hope.

I'm not saying that Gase is a good coach just that you can't really call it unless he gets a job somewhere else. He's taken two awful jobs as head coach.

Gase has taken on the dolphins and jets on the premise that he will improve the qb play and in both cases his failed miserable, tannehill has gone on to be more than adequate for the titans whom gase traded away for a 6th round pick. Sam darnold has actually gotten worse who i think is actually a talented qb and i think will go on to be a great qb when the patriots trade for him next year. brain flores seems to be doing alright down in miami who is working under the same gm as Gase.

• Advertisement

Look through the NFL. The Browns went to pot when Randy Lerner was owner, the Jets have horrendous pretty much since Woody Johnson bought them. Look at the Patriots under Victor Kiam and James Orthwein.
    Dan Snyder is another awful owner.
    There's lots more than that but when you see a franchise with consistently awful seasons you can't just keep blaming the coaches and players.
    The most important person in a franchise is the owner.
    Bob Kraft is the perfect example of a great one, he's only hired two head coaches since he purchased the Patriots, those were Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick.
    The Rooney's have always been great owners.
    There's plenty of excellent owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Some owners have definitely shown themselves as poor due to meddling too much or bad at hiring or at times even just bad people but sometimes 'good ownership' is hitting the lottery and then sitting back and enjoying themselves.

Take your example, if Bill was a man of his word and stayed with the Jets and then earlier in the 6th round (or in any of their 6 earlier picks) the Jets selected Brady we could be looking at the Jets and Patriots ownership very differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I think the point is that even if BB had stuck with the Jets, ir wouldn't have gone as well because the structures were poor. Maybe it would have been a poxy scouting infrastructure, maybe Bill wouldn't have been supported when things were sticky. Maybe Woody would just have pissed Belichik off. Who knows?

And obviously things wouldn't have gone as well for the Patriots without Bill and Tom. But eagle's point, with which I agree is that they would likely have been OK as they are well run.

D9Male wrote:
    I think the point is that even if BB had stuck with the Jets, ir wouldn't have gone as well because the structures were poor. Maybe it would have been a poxy scouting infrastructure, maybe Bill wouldn't have been supported when things were sticky. Maybe Woody would just have pissed Belichik off. Who knows?
    Well in hindsight it appears the Jets were up for sale. It might be the reason that Belichick turned down the job as he had no idea who he'd be working with or if the job was even safe.
    D9Male wrote:
    And obviously things wouldn't have gone as well for the Patriots without Bill and Tom. But eagle's point, with which I agree is that they would likely have been OK as they are well run.
    Yeah I think any franchise with a really good owner will do well. Obviously not as well without the GOAT coach and QB but I think they'd have been successful.

Well in hindsight it appears the Jets were up for sale. It might be the reason that Belichick turned down the job as he had no idea who he'd be working with or if the job was even safe.

Yeah I think any franchise with a really good owner will do well. Obviously not as well without the GOAT coach and QB but I think they'd have been successful.

Meanwhile in Cleveland... the Jets thing might have been moot if Lerner wasn't a dick and Modell hadn't y'know, sacked Bill.

There was a great read on the Browns moving in The Athletic last week that I learned a few tidbits I hadn't known:

https://theathletic.com/2180453/2020/11/06/art-modell-cleveland-browns-move-al-lerner-baltimore?source=user-shared-article

D9Male wrote: »

I remember Bill cutting apart a reporter who made a similar 'sticky' comment during a press conference last year. They only missed the playoff twice since Bill's first year and haven't had a losing season since then. To any other fanbase or owners in the league, none of that is 'sticky'

As for the rest, I think most of that is fair but generally the biggest differentiator between teams are their QB and coaching. A team with both in the GOAT discussion would need to have disastrous ownership to not succeed and should be playoff bound every year, like the Patriots were.

It definitely takes self control that many rich men do not have, to leave others run their business without meddling but to me you don't get that much credit for winning the lottery and then sitting back and enjoying the success it keeps giving you. Don't get me wrong, I think Kraft is a good owner but before I get to the point of calling him 'perfect example of a great one', I'm interested in seeing what happens over the next few years if the Patriots struggle or Bill moves on and they have more real 'sticky' situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

82-37

Packers @ 49ers
    Ravens @ Colts
    Panthers @ Chiefs
    Texans @ Jaguars
    Seahawks @ Bills
    Lions @ Vikings
    Broncos @ Falcons
    Bears @ Titans
    Giants @ Washington
    Raiders @ Chargers
    Dolphins @ Cardinals
    Steelers @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Buccaneers
    Patriots @ Jets

hard week to predict
    8-6
    90-43 overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,339 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    74-44 for the season.

Packers @ 49ers

Ravens @ Colts
    Panthers @ Chiefs
    Texans @ Jaguars
    Seahawks @ Bills
    Lions @ Vikings
    Broncos @ Falcons
    Bears @ Titans
    Giants @ Washington
    Raiders @ Chargers
    Dolphins @ Cardinals
    Steelers @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Buccaneers
    Patriots @ Jets

10-4 but I’ll have to go back and double check(for a second time) my record because it seems there’s differences between my record here and on the cbs picks league. 83-49

The big thing to note about Bob Kraft is the other coach he hired who was Pete Carroll. Look what he's went on to achieve and he was unlucky with injuries in New England.
    Like Pete Carroll won a NCAA national.championship and a Superbowl since then, and he's on like 8 consecutive winning seasons.
    The Rooney's are great as well, like Art Rooney II is the third generation of that family and nothing has changed as regards the way they hire coaches and treat players and the success that brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Lionbacker wrote: »
    78-41 so far this season

Packers @ 49ers
    Ravens @ Colts
    Panthers @ Chiefs
    Texans @ Jaguars
    Seahawks @ Bills
    Lions @ Vikings
    Broncos @ Falcons
    Bears @ Titans
    Giants @ Washington
    Raiders@ Chargers
    Dolphins @ Cardinals
    Steelers @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Buccaneers
    Patriots @ Jets

11-3 which takes me to 89-44 for the season.
    Surprised I was the only one who picked the Giants. I mean Washington aren't that good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭conor222

Shameful 9-5 brings me to 91 - 42 on the season
    conor222 wrote: »
    82 - 37 coming in

Packers @ 49ers
    Ravens @ Colts
    Panthers @ Chiefs
    Texans @ Jaguars
    Seahawks @ Bills
    Lions @ Vikings
    Broncos @ Falcons
    Bears @ Titans
    Giants @ Washington
    Raiders @ Chargers
    Dolphins @ Cardinals
    Steelers @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Buccaneers
    Patriots @ Jets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Take your example, if Bill was a man of his word...

I would hope that you're well aware there is another Bill who isn't Belichick and who also didn't stay true to his word in that situation, which is a large part of why Belichick ended up walking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

8-6 for the week.
    Whitters22 wrote: »
    72-47 coming in.

Packers @ 49ers
    Ravens @ Colts
    Panthers @ Chiefs
    Texans @ Jaguars
    Seahawks @ Bills
    Lions @ Vikings
    Broncos @ Falcons
    Bears @ Titans
    Giants @ Washington
    Raiders @ Chargers
    Dolphins @ Cardinals
    Steelers @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Buccaneers
    Patriots @ Jets

I would hope that you're well aware there is another Bill who isn't Belichick and who also didn't stay true to his word in that situation, which is a large part of why Belichick ended up walking out.
    Just ignore him, like I do. He hates the Patriots and can't hide it. Usual trick for him is to say something controversial about a Patriot to get it going. Either that or just disagree with Patriots fans all the time.

The big thing to note about Bob Kraft is the other coach he hired who was Pete Carroll. Look what he's went on to achieve and he was unlucky with injuries in New England.
    Like Pete Carroll won a NCAA national.championship and a Superbowl since then, and he's on like 8 consecutive winning seasons.
    The Rooney's are great as well, like Art Rooney II is the third generation of that family and nothing has changed as regards the way they hire coaches and treat players and the success that brings.

It continues to blow my mind when you think that Pittsburgh have had THREE coaches in the SB era.

THREE!!!

Outrageous!

77-42 (0.647) coming in

Packers @ 49ers o
    Ravens @ Colts o
    Panthers @ Chiefs o
    Texans @ Jaguars o
    Seahawks @ Bills x
    Lions @ Vikings o
    Broncos @ Falcons x
    Bears @ Titans o
    Giants @ Football Team x
    Raiders @ Chargers o
    Dolphins @ Cardinals x
    Steelers @ Cowboys o
    Saints @ Buccaneers x
    Patriots @ Jets o

9-5 (0.643) for the week leaves me on the 86-47 (0.647) for the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭Paleface

Paleface wrote: »
    79 - 40 for the season.

Packers @ 49ers
    Ravens @ Colts
    Panthers @ Chiefs
    Texans @ Jaguars
    Seahawks @ Bills
    Lions @ Vikings
    Broncos @ Falcons
    Bears @ Titans
    Giants @ Washington
    Raiders @ Chargers
    Dolphins @ Cardinals
    Steelers @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Buccaneers
    Patriots @ Jets

9 - 5 brings me to 88 - 45 for the season

Two wrongs just don't make a right.

Belichick probably had some justification and in the end it turned out great for him, Kraft, and everyone involved in the Patriots for the last 2 decades but it takes incredible mental gymnastics to claim Belichick didn't break his word during the Jets situation.

As for the other poster that responded to you, once again stating facts and giving a point of view that something Patriots related is good rather than the group think of 'great' shouldn't be be deemed 'controversial'. A few weeks ago I suppose I was a 'hater' when I stated that the Patriots should not be crowned as a 'contender' after losing to the Seahawks... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

TheDoctor wrote: »
    78-41 for the season

Packers @ 49ers
    Ravens @ Colts
    Panthers @ Chiefs
    Texans @ Jaguars
    Seahawks @ Bills
    Lions @ Vikings
    Broncos @ Falcons
    Titans
    Giants @ Washington