Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The state of comments online about road traffic deaths and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

My son cycles to school everyday, I cycle with him at the weekend away from busy roads in parks and such. I use a car to commute as Irish weather is not compatible with cycles IMO. Reading the comments on FB when it was announced there would be more funding for cycle infrastructure , I was actually shocked. The usual crap about tax and insurance for bikes. Raw hate. What is very apparent is how fanatical each side was. Like the usual posters here I suppose. You either go to bed with little bicycles or little cars on your hat and pyjamas. It's pathetic TBH
    And this, in my opinion is part of the problem.

People spiting at eachother online, trying to shame or humiliate the people they argue against. Instead of trying to win them over to their way of thinking.

It's not hard to understand that what is really needed is complete segregation. (Both online and the road) But I see that the very militant cycle and anti cycle posters fail miserably on agreeing on this point . And turns into the same old same old. Crap fling contest.

My opinion is that major money needs spent on widening roads to accommodate cycles. And not impede on pedestrians or cars and buses. With a priority on school and child safety. Commute routes last as they are supposed to be a bit more sensible. Why are car owners so against this? It's a win/win for everyone.

Surely this is simple common sense?

I don't think it's possible to improve cycling infrastructure without getting rid of car park spaces and making some more roads one way and maybe having less lanes for cars.
    I have to say that the hate towards cyclists isn't really reciprocated by cyclists as most of us also drive. You don't get cyclists on car crash articles blaming drivers and enjoying the fact that people have died, I see this all the time on articles about cycling deaths.
    I'm just trying to ignore it now, it genuinely upsets me. The infrastructure for cyclists is slowly improving in Dublin anyway, so hopefully it keeps going that way and we have less accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

My son cycles to school everyday, I cycle with him at the weekend away from busy roads in parks and such. I use a car to commute as Irish weather is not compatible with cycles IMO. Reading the comments on FB when it was announced there would be more funding for cycle infrastructure , I was actually shocked. The usual crap about tax and insurance for bikes. Raw hate. What is very apparent is how fanatical each side was. Like the usual posters here I suppose. You either go to bed with little bicycles or little cars on your hat and pyjamas. It's pathetic TBH
    And this, in my opinion is part of the problem.

People spiting at eachother online, trying to shame or humiliate the people they argue against. Instead of trying to win them over to their way of thinking.

It's not hard to understand that what is really needed is complete segregation. (Both online and the road) But I see that the very militant cycle and anti cycle posters fail miserably on agreeing on this point . And turns into the same old same old. Crap fling contest.

My opinion is that major money needs spent on widening roads to accommodate cycles. And not impede on pedestrians or cars and buses. With a priority on school and child safety. Commute routes last as they are supposed to be a bit more sensible. Why are car owners so against this? It's a win/win for everyone.

Surely this is simple common sense?

I would tend to agree with you regarding the segregation. Some folks seem to want to assert the "right" to mix it with motorised traffic. Me? I see so much crazy sh*t* on the roads these days that I tend to like to keep as much distance between me and traffic where possible.

In NL they have reached in a point of maturity in their culture where segregation is not needed everywhere anymore and many streets are now shared with cars, (albeit with low speed limits enforced by good street design).

Unfortunately we're quite a bit behind and segregation is a good way to "brute force" in the culture change that is needed.
    ie. better segregration means more of the population feel safe to get on a bike, means more of the people in cars either ride a bike as well or have family/friends who do, means the mindset of bitter irrational hatred (where we are now) gets consigned to the scrapheap where it belongs.

I would take some issue with the first part of your post because while its very true that there's extreme views on both sides, it's far from a level playing field, because once out on the road, the power balance is very, very skewed.

As a motorist, I have the luxury of driving down the road and not having to give a flying f**k what people on bikes might think of me. Even if they absolutely hate me on sight, they're practically of 0% danger to me. I don't have that luxury if I'm on a bike.

If people see me on a bike, and are triggered with an irrational hatred for me because of the perceived crimes of the "group" I involuntarily represent, and let that hatred impact on the standard of their driving and my safety, then that's a big problem that I have very little control over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Duckjob wrote: »
    I would tend to agree with you regarding the segregation. Some folks seem to want to assert the "right" to mix it with motorised traffic. . ..

Because you need to integrate with motorised traffic for the vast majority of journeys of any length. Remove that right and it would be impossible to cycle most places. What sense does that make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

beauf wrote: »
    Because you need to integrate with motorised traffic for the vast majority of journeys of any length. Remove that right and it would be impossible to cycle most places. What sense does that make.

None at all. That wasn't the point I was arguing for. It was that with the road culture we've currently got I see crazy stuff happening nearly everytime I go out. While everyone has and *should have* the right to go on the road, my own personal preference tends to be take off-road routes where possible if it helps put some distance between myself and the crazies.

Removing right of way for people on bikes should only be done when there is a high quality alternative that they can use instead. I made the point before how in NL you can see roads that you're not allowed to go on a bike, but anywhere you see that you can turn your head and see a high quality cycle path that takes you where you want to go with no compromise on convenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Didn't read like that. But fair enough.

I always say to people getting back on the bike to take advantage of off road stretches, or quieter roads even if it makes the journey longer. No need to go the direct route if it's unpleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

On my commute home this evening, I turned off the main road and took the back roads most of the way home. Sooo much more pleasant without close passes! Given a choice I’d always take the quitter routes, but it’s just not possible for most of my usual commute.

A teenager killed on the roads this morning, 9 hours ago there was an article posted and we got 1 RIP comment. There was someone hit off a bike last week, injured but didn't die, and we had 80 comments or something mostly giving out about how dangerous cyclists are.
    I'll just never be able to comprehend this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

A teenager killed on the roads this morning, 9 hours ago there was an article posted and we got 1 RIP comment. There was someone hit off a bike last week, injured but didn't die, and we had 80 comments or something mostly giving out about how dangerous cyclists are.
    I'll just never be able to comprehend this.

We live in car dominated society and cars are the ultimate expression of the deep seated insecurities that exist in people in a socially immature country like ours with an ingrained culture of victim blaming and reluctance to take personal responsibility. Cycling is considered inferior and the anthesis of all that's wrong with motoring - convenient, cheap, healthy and a virtual certainty of getting from a to b in the same time - weather, schools, summer / winter has little impact.

I can never understand why drivers don't turn their ire towards other drivers - after all, they're the ones they're stuck behind in their (mostly) single occupant cars. They subsidize their fellow drivers insurance with a levy on their policy that covers the €60m in damage uninsured drivers cause annually. They tolerate unaccompanied learner drivers, drunks and drugged drivers, sloppy driving and lazy parking. Speeding is almost seen as some sort of badge of honour - a lot of people see gardai and speed vans as "tax collectors". And you're positively expected to run an amber or late red or else potentially face a tirade of abuse from the motorist behind you who you've "held up". Ironically one of the most common things that irates drivers about cyclists. It's a truly bizarre attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    We live in car dominated society and cars are the ultimate expression of the deep seated insecurities that exist in people in a socially immature country like ours with an ingrained culture of victim blaming and reluctance to take personal responsibility. Cycling is considered inferior and the anthesis of all that's wrong with motoring - convenient, cheap, healthy and a virtual certainty of getting from a to b in the same time - weather, schools, summer / winter has little impact.

I can never understand why drivers don't turn their ire towards other drivers - after all, they're the ones they're stuck behind in their (mostly) single occupant cars. They subsidize their fellow drivers insurance with a levy on their policy that covers the €60m in damage uninsured drivers cause annually. They tolerate unaccompanied learner drivers, drunks and drugged drivers, sloppy driving and lazy parking. Speeding is almost seen as some sort of badge of honour - a lot of people see gardai and speed vans as "tax collectors". And you're positively expected to run an amber or late red or else potentially face a tirade of abuse from the motorist behind you who you've "held up". Ironically one of the most common things that irates drivers about cyclists. It's a truly bizarre attitude.
    I've read some unbelievable bilge on these boards but this must be among the most bizarre.

It's almost like you're suggesting that Ireland is the only country in the world where people drive cars. Or you are suggesting that Ireland is the only country in the world in which some drivers do not always follow the law.

Needless to say, that in all of your inane ranting about how Irish drivers are unique in tolerating X, Y and Z, and are "immature" etc. you failed to mention how Irish road safety compares with the rest of the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

I put it to you that given Ireland's ranking in those statistics, that it does not show evidence of unique "deep seated insecurities" or "a socially immature country." In fact, the evidence shows the exact opposite. Unless of course, it is reasonable to expect a "deeply immature" country to have a very good safety record.

Pedestrian mowed down yesterday and killed. 2 thoughts and prayers comments.
    It's crazy, it's solid proof that there's an irrational hatred of cyclists. We'll see when the next cycling article or accident comes up and everyone goes on about how dangerous cyclists are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,503 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

SeanW wrote: »
    I've read some unbelievable bilge on these boards but this must be among the most bizarre.

It's almost like you're suggesting that Ireland is the only country in the world where people drive cars. Or you are suggesting that Ireland is the only country in the world in which some drivers do not always follow the law.

Needless to say, that in all of your inane ranting about how Irish drivers are unique in tolerating X, Y and Z, and are "immature" etc. you failed to mention how Irish road safety compares with the rest of the world:

I put it to you that given Ireland's ranking in those statistics, that it does not show evidence of unique "deep seated insecurities" or "a socially immature country." In fact, the evidence shows the exact opposite. Unless of course, it is reasonable to expect a "deeply immature" country to have a very good safety record.
    And yet, none of his comments refer to relativity or international comparisons, or uniqueness. He just called it like it is - we all see it, every day - speeding, phoning, texting, lunching drivers with broken lights and windscreens obscured by phones.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The following table lists the traffic fatalities up to 9am on 23 October 2020 as from AGS...
    Pedestrians|26
    Drivers|46
    Passengers|22
    Motorcyclists|17
    Pedal Cyclists|7
    Pillion Passengers /Other|-
    Total Year To Date|119

This is an increase of eight deaths on the same period last year.

Are you really saying that because other countries are much worse, then we don't have a problem?
    Given that there is a poor level of enforcement (or in some cases, no enforcement) do you believe that because our road kill figures aren't higher means that our drivers aren't that bad and we've no reason to expect better?
    :confused:

And yet, none of his comments refer to relativity or international comparisons, or uniqueness. He just called it like it is - we all see it, every day - speeding, phoning, texting, lunching drivers with broken lights and windscreens obscured by phones.
    Obviously you didn't read his post. Pinchy made it very clear that he was condemning not just Irish drivers, but Irish people as a whole. In. the. very. first. sentence.
    We live in car dominated society and cars are the ultimate expression of the deep seated insecurities that exist in people in a socially immature country like ours with an ingrained culture of victim blaming and reluctance to take personal responsibility.
    The rest of their inane post continued along similar lines. And I repeat my earlier view. If a poster is going to attack Irish drivers/people specifically - which is what this poster did, and very clearly - then international data, rankings etc. are both warranted and proper to put those claims into context.
    Are you really saying that because other countries are much worse, then we don't have a problem?
    Given that there is a poor level of enforcement (or in some cases, no enforcement) do you believe that because our road kill figures aren't higher means that our drivers aren't that bad and we've no reason to expect better?
    :confused:
    We know that zero consequences associated with motor/road use are not possible. However the evidence shows that Ireland represents good practice. Because when it comes to things like road safety, air pollution, Ireland's motoring culture is comparatively good. Irish drivers are competent, appropriately regulated, and vehicular environmental standards are also very strong. As a consequence, Irish air is generally good, and fatalities on our roads are relatively rare.

By contrast, countries where the air is toxic and fatalities are high, tend to have lower environmental standards and bad drivers. Fatalism also plays a role in some countries (e.g. that you can drive like a maniac but you won't get into a crash if it's not your day to die). In other countries people will generally do crazy things like try to kill someone on a bike or make a maneuver without looking, or stop in the middle of a motorway because they missed their turn off (a common occurrence in China), because they actually are "socially immature" i.e. selfish or just don't give two figs.

You just don't see that in this country. The evidence that Irish drivers/people/society are all horrible not only doesn't exist, but actually contradicts the hypothesis. What you do have is a lot of cyclists condemning Irish people/society/drivers in a manner that is completely out of sync with reality. One of the best example of this is the OP:
    MODERATOR NOTE: Moved the first 22 posts here to a new thread as few of them relate to speed limits in Dublin and thus off-topic on the 30km/h thread.

https://www.thejournal.ie/man-hit-by-truck-charleville-5212906-Sep2020/

This man was killed today. I had a look at the street he was killed on, typical straight road going through a typical car dominated town. We don't know the details but this kind of thing should not be happening in a town centre. If you look at the street here, you'll see it's just a straight road that you could put the foot down on if you wanted, even though it's a town centre. The street should not be designed like this, it should not be possible to floor it on a main street of a town.
    I would guess this man's death could have been avoided if the street wasn't designed purely for cars.
    It's truly bizarre how many cyclists seem to think that forcing Charleville's Main St to act as the main Cork-Limerick road is a good idea, and not expect the town to be dominated by that flow as a result. It's safe to assume that most of Charleville's traffic is through-traffic (likely including the lorry in the OP), but the number of cyclists who saw that aspect in this case was a number rhyming with Nero.

And yes, opposition to things like bypassing towns like Charleville is something is very much specific to cyclists.

Well at least you didn't multi-quote me so cheers for that. :).

Wait - aren't you the guy that goes on about motorist hostile housing estates? A bizarre notion if ever there was one.

I've lived in the UK and Germany. You're kidding yourself if you think we don't have issues here.

Obviously you didn't read his post. Pinchy made it very clear that he was condemning not just Irish drivers, but Irish people as a whole. In. the. very. first. sentence.
    Actually, it looks like you didn't read my post Seany. I didn't comment on the question of 'Irish drivers vs Irish people'. I commented on your use of international comparisons and relativity to question a simple statement about the poor levels of driving on Irish roads.

Pinch didn't say anything about how good or bad Irish drivers are relative to other countries. The international comparisons aren't particularly relevant, and don't give much comfort to the families of the 2 or 3 people killed by motorists each week here.

And yes, there is a general societal problem with the acceptance of deaths by motorists and acceptance of poor driving standards in general. Look around you on your next journey and see how many drivers are on the phone while driving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've driven in the UK on about half a dozen holidays and given all the 'the irish are the worst on the roads' you hear, i was (pleasantly? maybe the wrong word in the context) suprised to see some insane dick moves while driving over there. i'd put the UK on a par with ireland, based on my experiences.

haven't driven there in the last few years mind, i think i last drove there in 2015.

Pinch didn't say anything about how good or bad Irish drivers are relative to other countries. The international comparisons aren't particularly relevant, and don't give much comfort to the families of the 2 or 3 people killed by motorists each week here.
    Now you're just straight up gaslighting. He singled out Irish drivers and people very specifically "a socially immature country like ours" in the first sentence of his post and the rest of the inane rant followed along those lines.

As to the evidence, yes, I can see why you would consider it irrelevant when it tells a different story to yours. You never stop talking about how data, evidence and international context is "not relevant" (to you) while you single out Irish people/drivers specifically. But simply because you don't like the facts, does not make them less true. Gaslight people all you want, the facts will still show clearly that Irish drivers are not horrible.
    And yes, there is a general societal problem with the acceptance of deaths by motorists and acceptance of poor driving standards in general. Look around you on your next journey and see how many drivers are on the phone while driving.
    In Ireland specifically, or more broadly across the world?

Because that seems to be a trend here: condemning Irish people for things that are constants (and usually worse) everywhere else. Starting with the OP - it's generally accepted internationally that forcing a small towns' main street to double up as key national link between a country's main cities will have negative consequences for everyone involved. Even if you don't have fatalities, a route that tries to act as both a street and road will typically fail to work well as either.

I am not aware of anywhere in the world where an arrangement like Main St/the N20 in Charleville would be considered to be ideal. That didn't stop the OP and ALL of the cyclists that followed from solely blaming "Irish planning" and "car dominated street design" for the negative consequences following on from forcing lots of through traffic down a towns main street, which would cause problems in any country. And yes, it seems like every one of you agrees with the OP that the setup in Charleville would work if it were done in another country, less horrible than Ireland. :confused:

Tragedy overnight where a 60 year old man cycling is killed by a car. 130 comments and counting on the journal. People really need to take a look at themselves and are probably dislocated from the fact that a father, brother, friend, grandfather is not sitting down to his Sunday dinner with his family today. Some appalling comments and the journal should really close comments off when a cyclist death is reported.

This one summed it up for me

"I was almost hit by a cyclist while out walking a country road. He had his head down ear phones in all the gear heading straight for me til I shouted and he lifted his head. Very sad that someone has lost his life rip but fault can be on either side."

Like WTF

Since I posted above, there's been 25 further comments. That's in about 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

It must be a feeling that they think it could easily have been them who killed the cyclist and they're acting how they would like others to react

Why else would you automatically stand up for someone who killed someone

I hate both sides of the pro and anti cyclist online discussions. Just interested in hating each other and not actually coming up with workable solutions.

• Advertisement

"It’s a sad day for both parties involved.
    Cycling is a great hobby but risking your life sharing narrow roads with cars and trucks is absolutely crazy.
    As a driver of heavy equipment, trying to overtake a cyclist takes at least a KM, which means driving over the white line putting oncoming traffic in danger. It’s also very frustrating to have to drive behind a cyclist doing 20kph"

So this poster is condoning illegal overtaking. I'm not sure what the solution is to driving behind a cyclist doing 20kph, other than suggesting they somehow speed up to cycling at 80 or 100pkh.

Quick scan on Journal FB comments would suggest the cycling story is the most commented this morning. Some posters desperate to find a link to blame the cyclist, despite knowing zero about the story. We have one anecdote I quoted above and another anecdote from Co. Louth about cyclists hogging the road. The efforts people are trying to victim blame are astounding - one poster suggesting cyclists do indeed kill people in Ireland, despite being unable to provide any evidence. London story linked from the cyclists who killed the pedestrian a while back. Link to tragedy in phoenix park where a cyclists collided with a pedestrian in the cycle lane. This was to somehow try and provide how cyclists kill people.

One poster noted "There was a pedestrian in his 30s killed during the week by a car, and a teenager killed in a car crash a few days ago too. No one was commenting on those articles. Why does everyone feel the need to lay blame when there's someone on a bike involved?"

You've got to wonder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It must be a feeling that they think it could easily have been them who killed the cyclist and they're acting how they would like others to react
    that would stack up if the same level of comments accompanied a story about a pedestrian fatality involving a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

that would stack up if the same level of comments accompanied a story about a pedestrian fatality involving a car.

people nearly kill cyclists way more often than pedestrians

220 posts now on FB, 152 on journal website. On a bank holiday weekend with stories about Covid, sealing of mother and baby records and further treaties for nuclear disarmament, it's cycling travelling 2-abreast, at 20kph, without lights or hi-vis etc that seem to be exercising people the most.

Gaslight people all you want, the facts will still show clearly that Irish drivers are not horrible.
    You have zero facts to show that Irish drivers are not horrible. All the evidence that you've quoted rates Irish drivers against drivers in other countries. The statement that Irish drivers are (or are not) horrible is an absolute statement, not a relative one. International comparisons do not bring anything to this statement.

Personally, any group where 98% of them break one law routinely (urban speed limits), the majority of them break another law routinely (using their phone while driving) and where they kill 2 or 3 other people each week seems quite horrible to me.

"I was almost hit by a cyclist while out walking a country road. He had his head down ear phones in all the gear heading straight for me til I shouted and he lifted his head. Very sad that someone has lost his life rip but fault can be on either side."

Like WTF

That same stupid bint goes on to say that a cyclist killed a pedestrian in the Phoenix Park in December 2017. I looked it up and it was the other way around ffs. This is what you're up against.

You have zero facts to show that Irish drivers are not horrible. All the evidence that you've quoted rates Irish drivers against drivers in other countries. The statement that Irish drivers are (or are not) horrible is an absolute statement, not a relative one. International comparisons do not bring anything to this statement.
    The evidence is clear. Irish motoring culture represents best practice. That is reflected in global road safety rankings clearly showing that the inherent risks of road safety (which exist everywhere) are well managed in this country. There is no country (except Monaco) where nobody dies on the roads. (and even there, I'm not sure they never have fatalities, just not in the quoted reference year).
    Personally, any group where 98% of them break one law routinely (urban speed limits), the majority of them break another law routinely (using their phone while driving) and where they kill 2 or 3 other people each week seems quite horrible to me.
    An Irish cyclist accusing anybody of law breaking is absolutely hypocrisy. I must admit that it takes cojones to blatantly gaslight people to that level.

Road fatalities are a fact of life, all over the world. That's just an unfortunate reality. But the evidence that you claim is "not relevant" shows that the risks are well managed in this country. Which is probably why you claim it is "not particularly relevant."

An Irish cyclist accusing anybody of law breaking is absolutely hypocrisy. I must admit that it takes cojones to blatantly gaslight people to that level.

Why is that hypocrisy? Also providing facts and figures to prove a point (98%) isn't gaslighting. Also breaking a rule on a bike doesn't harm others, maybe only themselves, breaking rules in cars kills people all the time.

• Advertisement

The evidence is clear. Irish motoring culture represents best practice.

Genuine question- how many other countries have you driven in?

Advertisement