Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In fairness, the last guy had his hazards on, so that means he can do anything, anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Going into Grange Castle from Newcastle Road, a woman passes me just as I'm about to turn. Fortunately I wasn't going straight as I would have went into the side of her car, as she was turning she cut into the bike lane which also had debris along the inside from construction trucks so I was in a tricky spot. I was alongside her rear wheel going through the bend.

She nearly stalled it when trying to get back up to speed and at the next light I could see she was holding an apple. People smoking or actively holding a drink/food while driving bug me as they're not in proper control.

Looking at the map now it's silly that the bike lane isn't marked straight on as it could give people the impression cyclists can't go straight and people likely wouldn't think twice about turning alongside a cyclist. Lately I've noticed people are really bad at staying in their lane through turns and always cut corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ARX

Not me, but a Dublin Bus driver turning right at this junction in Dundrum almost drove over the woman in front of me on the cycle path yesterday.

His facial expression registered exasperation rather than the sort of reaction you might expect in a person who nearly killed someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Saw a buck driving yesterday with a mcflurry in one hand and the phone held up in front of the face with the other hand. Like why not eat your treat and use your phone before hitting the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

But how do you expect them to facetime somebody to show them they are eating the mcflurry?

You are just not thinking about the driver...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Jesus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Comments deleted

McCrack, don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Must not have anything going on with your life if you have to visit random forums to try troll people on a Friday night.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

His head came very close to smacking the edge of the kerb all the same.

The worst part about that was after being triggered by the cyclists and the **** overtake he got absolutely nowhere. I glad the fool left the scene throw the library at him for that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

So great that it was caught on camera

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭standardg60

What was most damning was the fact the driver chose to stay in the left lane in order to intimidate and bully further, all the other cars all went into the right lane which was straight on only. Someone with a serious hang up with all cyclists and about time they were caught red-handed before they killed someone.

Got some wallop on the back of the head on the ground, he'll be feeling that one. Jesus Christ.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As terrifying as it all was, and I hope they throw the book at the driver, I was cringing at the guy in front who was screaming I got it on video instead of holy **** are you okay. Sad state of affairs that's were his mind was at. Although maybe it's just the adrenaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

He was saying that in reference to the earlier close pass then continued to say it after the run over. I’d put that down to adrenaline alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Not a near miss as such but was at lights heading to Stoneybatter area. Car went through green light in NCR. Nothing wrong with that, but was so obvious driver was looking down at her phone as she went to junction, so a good 2 or 3 seconds, albeit couldn’t see the phone.

Oh and car was absolutely wrecked on drivers side, so that lesson didn’t ring through.

Driving behaviour in Dublin is absolutely shocking these days, using phones, breaking lights, lack of indicating, driving with side mirrors tucked in completely (an increasing trend these days).

was in decathlon earlier, crossing at a pedestrian crossing heading in, and a driver drove through it while i was halfway across; and i can put my hand on my heart and say she had no idea i was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Mirrors tucked in how do you get out of your drive/parking space without noticing that!! It speaks volumes for the driver's spatial awareness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had some idiot come up the one way road in the phoenix park driving on the cycle lane. I'd say the family I passed after had some fright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Nobody indicates anymore... they couldnt be arsed, and theres no consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Agreed. There should be more people pulled for it but AGS couid not be bothered doing that either. Some of them dont bother either and stop in the advance cyclist box at junctions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭seanino

Exact same thing happened to me. Car coming straight for me. They were actually driving wrong way on cycling lane. Had to keep waving and hoped they'd stop and not run me over. They eventually did at last minute. Told them they were going wrong way up a a one way on cycle lane and instead of turning around - they kept going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭De Bhál

i was in Phoenix park yesterday with three kids, 4 of us on bicycles. On the Ordnance Survey road, held up a driver in a Merc behind for i'd imagine 20 seconds as they couldn't overtake due to to cars in opposite lane. As they overtook me a goon in the passenger seat shouted out something along the lines of "blah blah cyclists kids lane blah blah blah". As far as I know there is no bike lane along there so not sure what his exact issue was.

Ordinance Survey Road is much better now that it's no longer a through road, almost no traffic on it.

• Advertisement

is it closed? i.e. are you not able to drive from chesterfield avenue out knockmaroon gate?

Advertisement