Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Coach Experience Discussion Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

road_high wrote: »
    Saw a few today on the Waterford M9 Route, both looked like the newer Mercedes 6 axles coaches - understand Belfast isn’t running yet so might be using all the”good” ones

That's understandable and logical to be fair. Most operators would use their newest vehicles when available same reason Dublin Bus would keep most of their single door buses off service at weekends in order to maximise fuel efficency as the newest vehicles are the most fuel efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gearoidk

john boye wrote: »
    Can we open a book on when the first breakdown is spotted? I'll have this month's mortgage on 'before the end of the week'!

Not a breakdown but the driver had to stop on the M7 yesterday to check his coolant levels

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭belfast stephen

well the first of there new Decker coaches has been seen in the country but on a sad not it looks like they are not bringing back there 400/M1 service between Dublin and Belfast which is a shame

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

well the first of there new Decker coaches has been seen in the country but on a sad not it looks like they are not bringing back there 400/M1 service between Dublin and Belfast which is a shame
    There's certainly no market for it right now and with it being a deregulated route, they have the advantage of being able to relaunch it whenever they feel like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Any news on quick park in Dublin airport ?

Gone past it a few times recently and it's all blocked off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The wheels on this bus don’t go round and round.

69-B6275-B-D66-E-43-B8-9-F1-B-F9-F3-C85-E61-E2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

^^ Not much has changed by the looks of that. Only 6 years old but looks ready to fall apart and I'm guessing engine issues as well looking at the back of it.

Amazing when you compare 20 year old ex-Dublin Buses that are still out there daily and in far better shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Hard to judge but that Tyre looks like a slick..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Truckermal wrote: »
    Hard to judge but that Tyre looks like a slick..

That’s a reflection on my windscreen to be fair. It had plenty thread on it from what I saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Rear steer issue right there .....

Remember it's 1st year of service it done Dublin tours inner city. Tax break and was it 10 or so purchased.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I got my first Dublin Coach since the pandemic this evening. The bus was 40 minutes late. The real time tracker on the app doesn't seem to be working. Nice to see things haven't changed too much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I'm surprised they are still allowed to operate at this low level of service quality. Would be better to give the routes to better operators.

Have travelled Dublin-Tralee with them maybe half a dozen times since the beginning of May. One service was about twenty minutes late arriving into Tralee due to breakdown near the M50. The following Ennis bus picked us up and was rerouted to Tralee (mustn't have been any Ennis passengers on board). All other times it ran on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,154 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

their routes are commercial routes, so aren't subject to the same system as PSO routes operated by the likes of dublin bus or bus eireann or GAI.

essentially they just apply for the license for the route and as long as there aren't more then i think 2 or 3 other operators they will be granted the license.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

they would be in that the NTA have granted them a license to operate the routes, however the NTA don't regulate how those routes are operated like they would do with PSO routes.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

The NTA probably don't want to regulate private routes too much as it may cost them effort and money in return.

I've recently looked the fares for Naas to Dublin or Ashbourne to Dublin - fares are insane. 5, 6, 7 Euro for a single 1 hour trip. For commuters without a Tax Saver Ticket it's very much and I'm not surprised there are so many people using cars. Pay a fiver and struggle with poor service is a sad sad experience.

For Naas a train is probably best - around 30mins 4.90 Euro. But only to Heuston, meaning additional costs to get to the actual working place.

Ashbourne is a bit strange to me - Bus Eireann 45-50mins, I think 5 Euro. How do they manage to do to from Busaras to Ashbourne so quickly during peak hours I don't know. I suppose the actual time is closer to 1 hour.

Ashbourne Connects or how it's called, takes a tunnel and I think it's 6 or 7 Euro, taking 1 hour.

Expensive. But coaches are comfy and timetable ris more realistic, just not as frequent service as the Bus Eireann.

Apologies for OT. Dublin Coach is 1 hour to city from Naas, pricey, unreliable, busses aren't well kept. I think the NTA should regulate these private routes (operators I mean) better. Isn't there a PSO alternative, by Bus Eireann?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Can anyone confirm where the stop in Dublin Airport is located for the 726 service. Their website indicates it is outside Terminal 1. However, a map I received with my booking shows it as up near the Terminal 1 short term car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

As per the map when you click on "Dublin Airport" on the 726 timetable:

https://www.dublincoach.ie/timetables-fares/stop-times-map-info.php?stop=15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Well the problem is, they’re able to charge these extortionate prices as a result of the fares of the PSO routes. Route 126 is over 6€ from Naas to Dublin one way. Change that to the standardised 2,50€ fare and the private companies would follow suit overnight. It really is no wonder the N7 has so much traffic on it with the extortionate fares the NTA, and as a result private operators, are charging. Far cheaper and FAR more comparable to commute using a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You and the other poster seem to be quoting cash fares, rather than those offered when using a LEAP card. Why would anyone still pay cash when LEAP is substantially cheaper?

The126 is EUR 5.39 single from Naas to Dublin using LEAP, and a weekly unlimited Green Zone ticket costs EUR 49.40, which if used for five return journeys a week reduces the single fare to EUR 4.94.

Ashbourne is EUR 4 single using LEAP, and EUR 39.80 for a weekly unlimited Red Zone ticket using LEAP.

Presumably if the lower fare that you propose were to be charged on the likes of the 103, 115, 120 and 126, you would be happy for all those routes to then operate as standard bus routes, stopping at every bus stop within the greater Dublin area along their routes picking up and setting down local travellers, rather than the limited stop service that they currently operate within Dublin, thereby reducing the ability of longer distance commuters to use them?

Now what I DO think is needed is a monthly/annual ticket for the GDA regional routes that also offers travel within Dublin on the city bus services. That is long overdue.

Have got the 20:15 Dublin/Tralee a good many times now over recent months (last Irish Rail service at 19:00 is simply not good enough) and this evening is no exception.

It's become quite the regular habit now for the one bus to operate the 20:00 Cork & 20:15 Tralee services as far as Red Cow (with the obvious knock-on delay to the Cork service). According to various drivers, Dublin Coach simply doesn't have enough busses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭91wx763

Noted at Dublin Airport this morning. Exhaust blowing like a Harley Davidson, tail light out on the back, headlight out on the front. Would have worked to the airport in darkness this morning, a dozen years old now, time for a one way to Hammond Lane methinks.....

Can't expect anything better from Dublin Coach. Shocking is that they are allowed to operate Dublin Airport routes.

Ironically I travelled on 2010 JJ Kavanagh Setra. No WiFi or sockets but an incredibly smooth journey in a comfortable vehicle.

• Advertisement

JJ Kavanagh are much more serious than Dublin Coach. Very different experience and the way they set priorities in their business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

I saw a JJ driver driving on the phone 2 weeks ago in a busy town. I reported him to JJ and got an immediate response and they said they would investigate it.

They take their image seriously and a driver on the phone is not an image they want to portray, I somehow imagine if you reported same with DC they wouldn't even respond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I see Dublin Coach got a few brand new Ayats bodied Scania double deck coaches. Surprised to see them investing in the fleet they look really nice maybe their gonna start upping their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭belfast stephen

they were due to be in service in early 2020 but covid 19 hit they were to go on to the belfast service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

How many new Ayats Scania coaches have they got in the fleet?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Only the one. Give it a few months and it will be in bits.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭ExoPolitic

It was real nice to go on, I was on it on Sunday between Dublin and Waterford. We had two drivers, they both seemed very scared to drive it, taking roundabouts and corners VERY easy in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Saw two today on the Waterford route. Fantastic looking machines, look forward to a spin in one. Presume they get some kind of state funding for this investment

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

From the Garda Twitter page.

Bus stopped for doing 79kph in a 50kph zone

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1498948318843781122?t=Des0k-Wi254T--F1NILZJA&s=19

I wonder did they check it for defects while they had it stopped............

They should have. That rear door alone looks dodgy. Tyre doesn't look great either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Saw a few breakdowns online over pass few days.

This Tourismo

And this ex Aircoach Setra which I believe is also part of the Dublin Coach group

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=126493866587881&id=103958305508104

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

As usual the suspension looks to be collapsing. I don't know how they are keeping those yokes on the road. Looks in absolute bits not sure how they get away with.

Ah here.

Mercedes coaches are very reliable for their build quality. The Turismo coach in that photo above is only 8 years old. It should have no business going through a major breakdown like that when out on the road at that age.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Apparently an early morning service from Kilkenny broke down this morning as well and left a fair few people stranded.

I know there is a petition going around about the 300 also now as people haven't been happy with the standard lately.

Was one guy down by the stop at the Red Cow today moaning about them supporting hare coursing as well, which is not what you expect to see being discussed at a bus stop normally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's nothing to do with training!

That's just sheer ignorance & should have been reported!

You should have a look at what happened in Naas last week. If Dublin Coach are sleeping at the wheel with these incidents. They need a rude awakening from the authorities to enforce the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Dublin Coach - Van Hool TD927 Astromega 09-KE-17774 - #155 Seen at the Aquadome in Tralee yesterday morning .

(Peter Wilkins photo)

Ive seen abandoned coaches look better!

Its a disgrace Joe!

That has to fail a CVRT test surely? They also have some neck with the "Quality in Transport" tagline given the regular breakdowns, complaints of bad driving, and the state of vehicles like this one.

• Advertisement

These new Scanias are nice. They even have the fresh new car smell. I guess it will last for a week or 2 😂

Advertisement