Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

191 reg cars...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

you can unlock it.........with your phone :rolleyes:

On the phone thing. I'd love the option to have the key functions integrated in an app (all of the functions, so proper keyless entry and start).

I'm sure it could work securely and people would be less likely to lose or forget their phone than a key. If banking apps can work then no reason a car one cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    A long line of miserable diesel Tucsons parked outside Hogans in Galway on 1 Jan. The secondhand market is doomed.

The Irish never liked change

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I bought a 2nd hand single digit D reg, tends to get a lot of comments from friends but was incidental to buying the car. What does it take to get one new, luck of the draw or a cash up front premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

I know an ould fella who has a new certain brand car every year, sometimes he has the 1 and 2 version. What is not common knowledge is that he is a shareholder in that certain car brand dealer and related to the owner and gets these new cars which are then sold on as demo models with low mileage..... so, things are not always what they seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Rew wrote: »
    I bought a 2nd hand single digit D reg, tends to get a lot of comments from friends but was incidental to buying the car. What does it take to get one new, luck of the draw or a cash up front premium?

If you want to reserve a specific number in advance then you can but it will cost you 1k for the privilege. Other than that it's pure pot luck on which dealer gets what number from the ROS system when they register the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,229 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Saw my 1st one today. A blue Qashqai coming out of Windsor Galway. Probably just after being collected. And what did she do? Drove straight out onto the Dual Carriageway in front of a big white van. Nearly got rear ended. Jesus :eek: It was close!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

screamer wrote: »
    I know an ould fella who has a new certain brand car every year, sometimes he has the 1 and 2 version. What is not common knowledge is that he is a shareholder in that certain car brand dealer and related to the owner and gets these new cars which are then sold on as demo models with low mileage..... so, things are not always what they seem.

Demo car covers a lot more uses than just a salesman showing the car to prospective customers. Buyer beware. Not saying there is anything necessarily amiss if you are getting a nice low mileage car at the right price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    A long line of miserable diesel Tucsons parked outside Hogans in Galway on 1 Jan. The secondhand market is doomed.

The gearbox reconditioning companies and clutch salesmen are in for a boom time once they are out of warranty though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

screamer wrote: »

A work colleague of mine also has 2 new cars a year which I thought was pointless until I found out his wife works for one of the manufacturers and they get new cars for 6 months which are sold on as ex demos. I had only heard of this in the UK before, friend of mine works for Audi UK and gets to choose a new car every 6 months, all he has to pay for is fuel for travel which is not work related. He can choose whatever he likes and currently is waiting delivery of an RS6...lucky bugger..

Back in topic, I’ve noticed quite a few 191’s around in the past 2 days and most were high end stuff. BMW X5, Audi Q7, Land Rover and Mercedes E Class. The boom is most certainly back in South Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

gammygils wrote: »
    Saw my 1st one today. A blue Qashqai coming out of Windsor Galway. Probably just after being collected. And what did she do? Drove straight out onto the Dual Carriageway in front of a big white van. Nearly got rear ended. Jesus :eek: It was close!

I saw an awful lot worse today. Felt awful sorry for the poor guy picking up how brand new 191 D car which will be getting a few new panels now, heart sank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

On the phone thing. I'd love the option to have the key functions integrated in an app (all of the functions, so proper keyless entry and start).

I'm sure it could work securely and people would be less likely to lose or forget their phone than a key. If banking apps can work then no reason a car one cant.

Off topic I know but don't get the point of unlocking car with phone unless you can leave the key behind as well.

The whole point of keyless entry and keyless start is that you don't have to root around your pockets/bag to open or start the car..I find it very handy. What's the value of having to take your phone out of your pocket to open the door??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I saw an awful lot worse today. Felt awful sorry for the poor guy picking up how brand new 191 D car which will be getting a few new panels now, heart sank

What happened it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Off topic I know but don't get the point of unlocking car with phone unless you can leave the key behind as well.

The whole point of keyless entry and keyless start is that you don't have to root around your pockets/bag to open or start the car..I find it very handy. What's the value of having to take your phone out of your pocket to open the door??

I like whole idea of having basic controls over your car with your phone. Like turning it on, switching on aircon or heater, turning on lights if its parked in dark etc. But just unlocking it sounds a bit useless if you still have need to have key on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Truckermal wrote: »
    What happened it?

Don’t think it would be fair to say as there will be some figuring out about it. But damage is all to the rear of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Bring back FOR REG signs on cardboard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Saw my first 191 today... then got in it and drove it home ;)

Happy driving to all 191'ers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

A work colleague of mine also has 2 new cars a year which I thought was pointless until I found out his wife works for one of the manufacturers and they get new cars for 6 months which are sold on as ex demos. I had only heard of this in the UK before, friend of mine works for Audi UK and gets to choose a new car every 6 months, all he has to pay for is fuel for travel which is not work related. He can choose whatever he likes and currently is waiting delivery of an RS6...lucky bugger..

Back in topic, I’ve noticed quite a few 191’s around in the past 2 days and most were high end stuff. BMW X5, Audi Q7, Land Rover and Mercedes E Class. The boom is most certainly back in South Tipp.

I wouldn't like to be paying the BIK on an RS6!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭greendragon3

davey motors toyota garage in sligo has a line of new corolla's and avensis's out the front numbered from 191 SO 1 up to 191 SO 6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

davey motors toyota garage in sligo has a line of new corolla's and avensis's out the front numbered from 191 SO 1 up to 191 SO 6

Last years model Avensis as they are gone out of production which will help the early model become classic if someone wants cheap insurance.

Yeah, that's why an app to completely replace a key would be good. If Google pay can work without opening the app I'm sure the one for the car could be similar. Unlock phone, tap on door, put on a pad in the car (that's also a wireless charger), start and drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Yeah, that's why an app to completely replace a key would be good. If Google pay can work without opening the app I'm sure the one for the car could be similar. Unlock phone, tap on door, put on a pad in the car (that's also a wireless charger), start and drive.

It's coming... it's called digital key.

Tesla are one if the first implementing it and theres a cohort developing it, so should be coming soon to other vehicles. Higher end models first I imagine.

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/06/20/digital-car-key-standard/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Perhaps with a waterproof wireless charging dock built in to the roof of the car too for the times you have a dead phone & waiting for it to charge up while it’s raining so you can unlock your car!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

gammygils wrote: »

Straight to the priest to get it blessed before something else happens.

Perhaps with a waterproof wireless charging dock built in to the roof of the car too for the times you have a dead phone & waiting for it to charge up while it’s raining so you can unlock your car!

Or just don't have an iPhone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

colm_c wrote: »
    It's coming... it's called digital key.

Tesla are one if the first implementing it and theres a cohort developing it, so should be coming soon to other vehicles. Higher end models first I imagine.

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/06/20/digital-car-key-standard/

It’s definitely an option on the upcoming new BMW 3 series. I saw it demo’d in one of the reviews for the new car a few weeks ago. The reviewer was complaining though that it only works with Android (at least for now), but comically BMW don’t support Android Auto in the infotainment system - they only support Apple CarPlay, so you will need 2 phones to fully operate a new 3 series ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

Any pictures of those aforementioned one nine one's at all at all...................?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

emfifty wrote: »
    Any pictures of those aforementioned one nine one's at all at all...................?

I'll have one tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

AMKC wrote: »
    23 Tucsons: How boring. I seen VW was the most popular brand last year and the Tucson the most popular car. How boring. Just people following the heard instead of thinking for them self's and being individuals.

I don't like the SUV/Crossover thing.

But choosing a Tucson/Quasqui isn't boring to whoever is buying it.

Let's approach this from a different angle - Mary is talking to her friend.

"So I asked Kevin what car he was thinking of getting and he send me a link to a thread he started.

I was gobsmacked as you had these car people arguing about what interior spec to have and the suspension package.

And the merits of going for a 230 bhp over a 190. This went on for 20 pages.

Still not clear what Kevin is going to buy though. All you want a car for is to go to work. That's why when I decided I liked the look of Melissas Tucson I just went in and bought one. I really haven't the time to do massive research. Hyundai are reliable and I've a 5 year warranty."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Roscommon
    EyXkpTB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I seen a 191 Skoda Octavia today in a quit unusual colour not really sure it was like a gold silver colour and a 191 Opel Grandland X in a maroon red looked nice. 191-OY-129

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement