Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

191 reg cars...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Those electronic parking brakes aren’t idiot proof though, I had a Skoda Kodiaq that had been parked and locked roll out a driveway in front of me last year. Mondeo doesn’t auto engage either and with all the beeping cars do when you get out it’s easy to miss.

With the skoda ones there's an auto hold button you press. I pressed it once and that was it. If you don't press it then the car will roll.

It's a pointless button, it should be on by default but the rolling skoda was someone not setting it right or hitting it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They’d only just got it. You’d imagine the parking brake would come on when you turn the car off? It does on the Golf, or maybe that’s only because auto hold is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

My missus’s uncle got a 191 Focus and only realized when he got home that it didn’t have a traditional handbrake, nor could he find it easily. He ended up having to park on the road and go back to the dealer the following morning to get a rundown on how it worked. You would think that if a salesman was handing over a car with a feature that wasn’t in the last one that they’d run through its operation with anyone buying one.

I remember my first Passat with an electric handbrake, so much I didn’t know and had to learn on the fly.. for example it took a while to figure out it would self release on a hill start etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭NSAman

ooops

Do I dare say....what biological sex was driving? ;)

(Ducking)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

NSAman wrote: »
    Do I dare say....what biological sex was driving? ;)

(Ducking)

I don't know, I didn't take the picture.
    It was sent to me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I don't know, I didn't take the picture.
    It was sent to me ;)

It looks familiar...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

My missus’s uncle got a 191 Focus and only realized when he got home that it didn’t have a traditional handbrake, nor could he find it easily. He ended up having to park on the road and go back to the dealer

Odd that it wasn't covered in the handbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ooops

I'd suggest you read the previous page of this thread and all subsequent comments about the incident

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

TheDriver wrote: »
    I'd suggest you read the previous page of this thread and all subsequent comments about the incident

Thanks for that. I have now deleted it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,117 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd doubt there is much in the way of showing how things work done in a busy showroom in January. I'd say it's more a case of take keys and logbook of old car, get signature on sales forms, take payment, bring customer out to new car, handover keys, say goodbye and head back into the next customer - rinse and repeat. Customers who want time to be shown around the functions of the new car on the forecourt are usually the ones complaining about been kept waiting for their new car up to that point so I'd say it's a no win situation for dealers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd doubt there is much in the way of showing how things work done in a busy showroom in January. I'd say it's more a case of take keys and logbook of old car, get signature on sales forms, take payment, bring customer out to new car, handover keys, say goodbye and head back into the next customer - rinse and repeat. Customers who want time to be shown around the functions of the new car on the forecourt are usually the ones complaining about been kept waiting for their new car up to that point so I'd say it's a no win situation for dealers.

Got a Seat on Friday. They were busy. But he still gave a good 30mins going through car. Good job cus couple functions disabled and they were able to sort straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

All joking aside about handbrakes, few years ago I parked on a hill when in my local swimming pool. 15 mins into my swim I was relaxing in the steam room and lifegaurd came in and goes "do you own the 06 Leon (manual handbrake), yes I replied. Its just rolled down the carpark but luckily someone was walking past and was able to hold the car from rolling further. Lifegaurd took my guys and reparked her but needless to say I didn't do bit of good. I used to never park in gear for fear of hopping in and starting up and conking forward (my old car didnt require clutch to start) I always do now.

On another note, it nearly seems a fact that as soon as you buy a new car you seem more likely to have someone bang your door in a carpark. I've never had many or any close scares when driving but yday I went to test drive a V40. Thank god the salesman was with me cuz when on dual carriageway I glanced down for a second to try the cruisecontrol when a 40 footer on the inside lane decided to just pull out and cut me up, salesman shouted woahhhhh and I jammed on the brakes.

I sound like a terrible driver but actually not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭NSAman

bs2014 wrote: »
    All joking aside about handbrakes, few years ago I parked on a hill when in my local swimming pool. 15 mins into my swim I was relaxing in the steam room and lifegaurd came in and goes "do you own the 06 Leon (manual handbrake), yes I replied. Its just rolled down the carpark but luckily someone was walking past and was able to hold the car from rolling further. Lifegaurd took my guys and reparked her but needless to say I didn't do bit of good. I used to never park in gear for fear of hopping in and starting up and conking forward (my old car didnt require clutch to start) I always do now.

On another note, it nearly seems a fact that as soon as you buy a new car you seem more likely to have someone bang your door in a carpark. I've never had many or any close scares when driving but yday I went to test drive a V40. Thank god the salesman was with me cuz when on dual carriageway I glanced down for a second to try the cruisecontrol when a 40 footer on the inside lane decided to just pull out and cut me up, salesman shouted woahhhhh and I jammed on the brakes.

I sound like a terrible driver but actually not!

Happened to me yesterday on M7, difference was that I was past the back of his trailer. Blew the hell out of him as he continued, after braking madly. How these morons dont know a car is there is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,182 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not seen a single one yet, I'd expect to see at least 5 tomorrow when people take their steeds around for a bit of getting to know you driving.

And so it happened, saw my first 191 this morning, a Peugeot 3008, looked very premium.

TheDriver wrote: »
    I too question when people leave cars in neutral when parked. Secondary handbrake

With automatics/hybrids etc this is not an option. I have a hybrid with a foot operated parking brake. It has hill hold for the purpose of hill starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Skoda Kodiak 191 plate blew past me this morning.
    My first thought, nice car.
    Second thought, you'll not have it long doing 140+ in a 100 zone. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Gael23 wrote: »
    At least base spec on the new focus isn’t so bad

but it doesnt have a cd player for audio books.

Forgive me for asking a stupid question here but I don't have the privilege of driving a 191 or anything close, do any of the cars here come with the remote start on the key fob to start the engine while outside the vehicle?

thats not fitted as a factory option in many cars, usually after market alarms do it for some reason. I think the new 5 and 7 series are the only ones I know of with it.

A lot of high end diesel cars have parking heaters that allow you to remotely turn on the heating though.

has anyone seen anything interesting as in >250 lovely combustion fuelled horses yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

has anyone seen anything interesting as in >250 lovely combustion fuelled horses yet ?

Theres a 191 Bentayga floating around the south side apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

thats not fitted as a factory option in many cars, usually after market alarms do it for some reason. I think the new 5 and 7 series are the only ones I know of with it.

That's a bit strange tbh, reason I ask is I was in the states and every car new/old big and small have that feature on the key fob and I never seen it here

That's a bit strange tbh, reason I ask is I was in the states and every car new/old big and small have that feature on the key fob and I never seen it here

id say because its only recent automatics are becoming a thing, its a feature that a manufacturer would never fit to a manual car incase it was left in gear. Also we dont have any extreme weather conditions that many states would. I see very little reason to have it tbh.

And this just popped up on instagram!

46634389881_2ffc88b47f_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

Nice Bentley there. Saw my first 191 today. Audi A7. Pulled straight out in front of me without indicating so I almost had a very close look at it. Appeared to be quick enough version as the driver put the boot down when they saw me slam on the brakes. Couldn't tell what engine was in it, but no TDI badge on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My missus’s uncle got a 191 Focus and only realized when he got home that it didn’t have a traditional handbrake, nor could he find it easily. He ended up having to park on the road and go back to the dealer the following morning to get a rundown on how it worked. You would think that if a salesman was handing over a car with a feature that wasn’t in the last one that they’d run through its operation with anyone buying one.

I remember my first Passat with an electric handbrake, so much I didn’t know and had to learn on the fly.. for example it took a while to figure out it would self release on a hill start etc.

Surely there was an owners manual in the glovebox?

Edit , bah, beaten to it.

And another!

32759987338_558d665f9a_c.jpg

The boom is well and truly back :cool:

And another!

attachment.php?attachmentid=11361&d=1546798734

fix the pic, i need to see the finery.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

With automatics/hybrids etc this is not an option.

An automatic in park isnt going anywhere.

fix the pic, i need to see the finery.

Should be able to see it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

And another!

32759987338_558d665f9a_c.jpg

Marlay Park?

Advertisement