Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

100% MUP will be more of a gateway “drug” than cannabis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I done that today. Bought up north. Even factoring in petrol. Which I only pay tax on anyways as it's a BIK from work. I saved over 100 Euro versus me buying here.

Of course I'll have padded the MUP is working stats when reports are championing alcohol sales being down. As is the metric used for its success in Scotland. Strangely while sales dropped massively there. Deaths have increased to some of their highest levels for 2020 and 2021. But it's convenient to blame covid on that. They must think more people are dying on much less alcohol consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They absolutely are counting on this and will undoubtedly claim any decline in consumption is solely down to MUP irregardless of it just being the statistical continuation of the 20 year decline weve been seeing due to normal cultural shifts

• Registered Users Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That's only a saving if you actually need all that alcohol. If you could not get to the North, would you have spent that extra €100 here?

You've never in your life bought anything in bulk due to savings that you cannot immediately use or consume?

• Advertisement

Not to the extent that I was "saving" €100. From the objections raised to MUP, I doubt if any of the people in poverty who are supposed to suffer the most could spend 100's on bulk buying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Alcohol isn't dangerous after 10pm. Only the stuff in shops.

The expensive version in pubs is perfectly safe until closing time.

Establishments can apply for licenses so they can supply even more expensive alcohol which makes it safe after normal closing time.

So if there was a way of charging even more for alcohol it should be safe 24/7 ?

Ahh back to this fallacious chestnut where only the people in poverty are affected and therefore have a right to be annoyed by it.

You jest but years back maybe 2014/2015 there was a debate about this, I think on News talk, where a rep from the VFI/LVF was honestly arguing that being served by a barman in a pub or nightclub was far safer and a controlled environment than people doling out their own measures or cans at home as the barman was trained and qualified.......

For people intending to go North, remember the drink was cheaper there anyway before MUP. And people were going North for drink before MUP. If someone is "saving" €100 this week, they might have "saved" €50 two weeks ago.

• Advertisement

I'd say they would be annoyed by stories of people going North for vast amounts of drink. Or students able to make the choice between lines of coke or 10 pints for their nights out. I don't know why those sorts would be annoyed by MUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It isn't important enough to me personally to boycott. I don't drink that much at home, so while the extra costs are annoying and something I am against, it isn't something that I'm going to drive to NI or home brew to get around.

As for inflation, it is based on prices, not on what people actually buy. If beer was €1 last week and now €2 then that is inflation. Whether people buy it is another matter.

I don't expect anyone to actually boycott. At the end of the day the majority will accept it and move on

Not a matter of need. Matter of want based and preparing for the future based on past habits.

I did get to the North today. And can pretty much get there whenever I want. If I want a drink on a Saturday night 3 weeks from now. I already have it because I planned for it. And it will be cheaper than me going to local off license. Doesn't matter whether I would have spent that extra 100 euro here now or in the future. I would have spent it here before MUP and now I won't. I'll never buy a single drop of alcohol in a shop, supermarket or off license as long as MUP is here and I have alternative options.

And I'm not a big drinker. I'm talking about 10 beers in the house at most a month. And maybe a bottle of wine or two. And that's at the upper limit. Financially I could easily swallow the increase here and I'm not hugely affected based on my own drinking habits. I have always had drink here for visitors or any family/friend get togethers. But out of principle I will not contribute a single cent towards alcohol in this country excluding restaurants and pubs due to the implementation of MUP. The latter of which I rarely frequent anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,347 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Along with people dabbling more in illegal drugs there’s bound to be a rise in illegal bootleg alcohol now as well

which will be sold to the most vulnerable and also the price sensitive such as students.

Wasn’t there a few cases of illegal alcohol poisonings over the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

actually i don't know if that would work because remember it is about forcing us back into the pubs.

going north, or even more people changing from the pub to buying at the inflated prices while the later would mean more income for the government may have more of an effect as it would not be achieving the aim of increasing pub custom.

what we really need to do is send a message that the government can't stifle competition and will not force those of us who do not wish to use pubs, to use pubs.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Vaccines are meant to protect against disease. But there are people who have a principled objection, based on a belief that whatever those in authority do it is always for some ulterior motive. Like mind control in the case of the Covid vaccine.

With MUP it seems to be a belief that it is a measure that is only there at the behest of business people, to protect their own sectoral interests. The antis won't listen to any argument that it is a Public Health measure, based on scientific advice. The title of the legislation is Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018. Section 11 deals with MUP.

In your own case what is the basis for your principled objection to this legislation? Seeing that you can afford to keep drinking as much as before.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2018/act/24/enacted/en/print#sec11

All evidence points to it having nothing to do with health. It could have been done with excise and the money ring fenced specifically for health but they chose not to. They decided on a method that would give more money directly to alcohol sellers and producers who apparently are causing the problem to begin with? Also they literally said in the original proposal for this back in 2011 it was about helping pubs and as I've pointed out before the vintners lobbied directly for this at least 29 times and probably far more.

Literally all the evidence. Are you sure there might not be 1% of the evidence the other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Give up while you still have your sanity.

Do you recall what Joe Higgins said about debating with Bertie Ahern ?

"Like playing handball against a haystack"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭dasdog

Where is the scientific evidence for implementing MUP? AAI appear to be quoting a singular 2014 report from Sheffield University on affordability ignoring all other inflationary factors and the fact that alcohol consumption has been dropping for the last decade.

Why was affordability not addressed if it is a factor by excise duty? This is why people are skeptical with regard to the vintners lobbying.

Back to brewing for me in the interim which is a wonderful if obsessive hobby and while I will still enjoy an occasional bottle of Green Spot or Bulleit Bourbon I'm annoyed that again the adult population will have additional increased outgoings without any sensible debate taking place without hyperbole.

Crack cocaine which is taking it's foothold in working class areas and methamphetamine which could flood Europe after the massive drop in production prices in Afghanistan much like heroin after the Iranian revolution are far more dangerous substances that preventative resources should be put in to now.

• Advertisement

Seeing that the legislation was in the planning in 2016 when this thread started, it is not too much of a delay from 2014 to get it enacted in 2018. Putting MUP into action was delayed, because there was a plan for the North to do it at the same time as us. The Government decided not to wait any longer, but I see a report from Robin Swann in the North about the serious harm alcohol is doing to society there as well. They could be next in line to implement MUP.

Since 2014 I expect there has not been much reduction to the involvement of alcohol in poor mental and physical health, premature deaths, road accidents, public order offences and other anti social activity, domestic violence and absenteeism.

My objection is based not on my opinion that MUP is a complete waste of time and does nothing to address a drinking culture or consumption. And don't even bother referencing Scotland. 2020 was the highest death toll from alcohol related deaths in over 12 years and also the year with record lows of alcohol sales. I've family and friends in Scotland. I know what they do. Purposeful trips across to England, ask family to bring drink back from holidays or either buy it themselves when away. Or use family or friends to buy in bulk when down in England or over in Belfast when working. Lots of people drive for a living or travel as part of work. So it's not always a long trip anywhere. They may already be there. And on their jobs fuel cost.

I think it's completely naive to think that MUP will not lead to people simply changing buying habits and consuming the same amounts or even something more dangerous. But in a manner where stats look like consumption are down and nothing more is done about the problem. Trips up north, buying when travelling for work, bringing back from holiday's, home brewing kits, black market spirits (huge in Scotland by the way. Want some spirits, give a local lad a shout), getting a shoulder of vodka over 6 cans, trying ecstasy or coke to compliment a lesser amount of cans or just going to the pub because 6 cans is the same as some pints. So might as well go end. But end up spending more than planned because they are out and enjoying themselves. I'd say it's a weekly occurrence where people wake up the next day having spent more than they planned. Some people might also smoke more if in a pub. Or pop into the bookies.

I don't like being ripped off with very little in return. MUP is completely the wrong approach in my opinion for the reasons above, which I don't think are being considered at all. I think there is a big disconnect between policy makers and the actual reality of day to day life for people.

Fatality rates from road accidents are at a record low and the homicide rate has decreased massively since the gang wars of a few years ago which are both very positive things. MUP does not addresses public order offences and other anti social activity, domestic violence and absenteeism. An excise tax could have been siphoned to help address the two former and the latter should be up to the employer.

The homebrew company I used for hobby purposes haven't jacked up the prices - they are a well run Irish company who treat customers like our government should treat tax payers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Any links. Was interested in this before but didn't know anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭oceanman

cant see the north rushing to do it now. its going to be a big earner for them into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

What am I missing here? Surely the cheap slabs that we have been spoiled with for several years now are hardest hit. And with slab prices up north in & around 34€ vs €42 here, you’d want to be getting some haul to make it worth the trip when you take fuel & time into the equation. Obviously makes sense to load up if you had planned a trip for reasons other that just a booze run but for alcohol alone, I cannot see the attraction for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Hartigans is one of the best pubs in Dublin and if there is a price difference, it's miniscule.

I got Guinness for under a fiver just before lockdown 2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

A student's union will of course be against it - guess who votes them in?

And their statement that there were "floods" of people stocking up is bs

Advertisement