Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,597 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

Does that really add anything to "However, there is no evidence to support this claim"?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Looks like you copied and pasted something from one of those "fact check" websites which definitely aren't paid for by somebody... Good effort though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It completely changes it as they agree it is logically possible therefore it is a completely reasonable claim to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,597 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

Gwan then, give us the conspiracy theory of who pays for The Journal?

'No evidence to support' means just that. It doesn't rule out any possibility. But if you makes you feel better, knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Is there anyone on this thread who is going to start taking heroin or cocaine because of MUP? Or going to increase their consumption? If not they have no right to think that other people will do it.

• Advertisement

C'mon let's not play dumb. Students now have the option of 10 cans or a few lines of coke for their night out because they cost the same amount now, I know which one gives more bang for your buck. It was happening already but it's gonna absolutely skyrocket now.

Or apparently the option to hire fleets of buses to go North. Students must have lots of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Just talking to customers and staff in convenience stores over the last few days (travelling salesman here) but damn there’s a fierce amount of disillusionment and anger over the new prices.

I’ve heard it said a number of times “well if need be we will vote out this shower and put in another party who will roll back the taxes”.

Looks like this particular issue has ignited ppl. I hope the govt take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Yeah, it''s a ridiculous counter argument tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,089 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But the reality is it going to skyrocket ?

No matter how prevalent cocaine might be, getting your hands on it is a much different task than going to an off license and buying cans.

A good many people would not be in a circle where getting it is easy, and they may not have the contacts or confidence to find their way into such a circle.

Plus there are the dangers of taking cocaine, many will be well aware of them also and not be inclined, regardless of what price it is relative to alcohol.

Give people a bit of credit for being intelligent and not just looking for a cheap high why don't you.

• Advertisement

Jesus what a pathetic level you have dropped to.

If your pathetic condescending attitude makes you feel better knock yourself out.

Maybe there is something in the idea that students will increase their intake of illegal drugs. But it saddens me to see a student leader making this case, while at the same time pleading poverty on behalf of her members. Also making the case that these impoverished students from Galway will somehow find the means to get drink from the North.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/regressive-minimum-unit-pricing-will-push-people-towards-illegal-drugs-nuig-students-union-1294809

Minimum unit pricing is a “very regressive measure” that will push people further into poverty and increase the use of illegal drugs, according to the NUI Galway Students’ Union president.

“There are going to be floods of people going to the North,” she said. “There were floods of people going to the supermarkets yesterday trying to stock up on all the alcohol before it increased. I do see the intention behind this, but it is not going to stop people drinking alcohol.

“All it is going to do is push people further into poverty and increase reliance on other unsafe substances.

Of course I don't know the true numbers of how many people are using cocaine but I can tell you I see a fair amount of students coming through the doors of the emergency dept I work in who have either OD'd on the stuff or are coming in the next day with heart issues. When I was a student I couldn't afford to be doing that but you can get a €20 bag delivered to your door quite easily these days. And in my opinion it's gonna be used more.

Is it really that surprising considering the constant reports about the country being riddled with cocaine use? You can be sad all you want but it sounds like the NUIG Union President is living in reality and likely knows far better than you or the likes of AAI what students are actually getting up to these days.

I'd say you saw some pathetic cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I do a regular run to Newry for pet food...but got some beer this time.

Tins of moretti 6 for 6 pounds, worked out cheaper than the big packs.

Also got some Estella tins 4 for 4 pounds.

Best before Nov 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Utter naivety. The country is awash with cocaine and MDMA, and every young person that has a social circle has easy access to it.

Anecdotally of course, but the college going people I know are saying they choose it primarily because it doesn't make you fat and impair your performance in the gym. If you make alcohol, the alternative, less appealing then you will see a further push towards drug use.

None of that suggest that there is any economic argument. Which of course will make MUP a failure among students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

See the anger is not just mup.

Cost of living is rising dramatically.

The already overinflated price of drink being artificially inflated more by government doesn't look good. Especially in a pandemic situation.

I like a glass of wine or 2 after the long work week. I'm sure a lot are the same.

To see this now just pisses people off when there spending lots more on their bills

• Advertisement

Yeah but the attitude of the anti alcohol brigade on here is that if can afford it so it doesn't matter and you just need to suck it up. And if you cant afford it then ....

I’ve heard it said a number of times “well if need be we will vote out this shower and put in another party who will roll back the taxes”.

But "another party" (i.e. SF) will not roll back the taxes.

In actual fact they will increase taxes, and with regards MUP they wanted the unit price higher than it was set at, so good luck with them getting rid of MUP.

Anti alcohol people don't drink.

You're right, it's much more convenient to buy coke. Couple of texts and it'll be at your door in half an hour. Along with the excellent customer service it's available 24 hours, so if it's past 10 o'clock and you feel like altering your perception a little bit cocaine is there for you.

And it's not just coke. Back around my college days I can think of twice there was something else sourced because we met up late (people had been home for holidays or w/e) and were too late to buy alcohol which becomes dangerous at 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they will roll it back if people make it an election issue, which plenty will as it's an indirect subsidy to the publicans and not a health measure.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Cheaper to drop a pill before going out now rather than pre-drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It won't be an election issue as no party is arguing against it. It will only become an issue if, as consumers, we take a stand.

If a large enough amount of consumers refused to buy at the inflated prices, and let the retailers know of their annoyance, then the government, and all parties, would come under increasing pressure. Added to the general inflation that will cause of rethink.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

On a side note rant here! You'd have it quicker than a chipper delivered to your door. Do people think all them paying customers of the synthetic stuff IE Snow Blow and what ever other brands that was legally sold a few years ago, just said 'ah that's me done now'?

They go after Cannabis and mark it down as a success, to me the Cocaine is what they need to be after full time, look what its doing in South America and people still use it. On a side note to that, I find it interesting, when someone refuses to get the Covid Vax, yet stuffs a load of coke up there nose, after it being god knows where, maybe even up someone's you know what. Do they even know how its made I wonder too, do they think its like a nice clean factory, QA tested on the way out the door.

Also, younger folk are more into it than drink, as it give them a high and doesn't or so they think impact on there body's appearance in the way that alcohol does, IE can make you put on weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

The thing with this MUP thing is that it is very easy to prove it is working. Mainly because it's difficult to track whether drug usage has increased or people have started buying drink up north or on the black market. Or started brewing their own. Those statistics have metrics to get an idea, but they can be easily ignored and left out of studies.

Seeing sales of alcohol drop in off licenses and supermarkets can be easily spun as alcohol consumption being down. Let's face it, hardly anyone is going to forego a slab and buy heroin. It will be mostly coke, mdma or pills. Might be some hospital visits on the back of increased consumption of those. But people won't be dying in their droves from taking them.

And the thing with those type of drugs, all it takes is to decide to do it one weekend in lieu of what you usually drink. And then you'll know what the buzz is like and you'll want to recreate it. One of my best mates is 39 and has his first bag of coke for tonight for example. All because of MUP. Married man with 3 kids and has got a bag delivered to his house for 30 quid. It is so easy to get drugs without leaving your house. I don't people realize how simple it is. And you don't even have to pay straight away. That will entice people too. Not wise, but it is done in abundance week in week out.

MUP will stop being a topic and people will continue on without saying anything and find their ways to drink if they still want to continue at levels they usually did before MUP. I'm just back from Jonesborough and picked up some things for a few months. Not just for me. For when family visit etc. I won't keep coming back here and saying I went up again. It will just become the norm. But those trips will contribute towards a justification that MUP is working as my money was spent up north and not tracked here.

• Advertisement

So you would protest MUP by buying less alcohol in off licenses ?

And this boycott of the off licenses will also increase general inflation ?

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

Advertisement