Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail Jobs Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

I think people fail to realise how small Ireland is on many levels in respect to industry size and the amount of people applying for jobs...

unfortunately times have changed, yes its horrible the catch 22 of applying for an entry level job, but requiring 5-10years experience in the process..

But unfortunately, that's how things are in a small level industry where they have the pick of the bunch from applicants... it's the same in the technology and pharma sectors also...

majority of external applicants will either have:
    -Luas experience
    -Temp work for CIE
    -Bus Driving experience
    -PDF/Garada experience
    -International railway experience

That pool alone, without the added applicants with other sector experience will make this an interesting, but cut throat competition.

That's how it is these days, it's rare (especially in Ireland) you'll get a company that will hold you're hand from start to finish... they want someone to hit the ground running, or be almost in the position to without having to do much work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

L1011 wrote: »
    Why? Add a huge cost to satisfy someone's desire for the old days?

What does this even mean?

Yeah, bring back the 'engine cleaners' and a small army of porters to handle passengers' steamer trunks.:D

Don't give up the day job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

arccosh wrote: »
    I think people fail to realise how small Ireland is on many levels in respect to industry size and the amount of people applying for jobs...

unfortunately times have changed, yes its horrible the catch 22 of applying for an entry level job, but requiring 5-10years experience in the process..

But unfortunately, that's how things are in a small level industry where they have the pick of the bunch from applicants... it's the same in the technology and pharma sectors also...

majority of external applicants will either have:
    -Luas experience
    -Temp work for CIE
    -Bus Driving experience
    -PDF/Garada experience
    -International railway experience

That pool alone, without the added applicants with other sector experience will make this an interesting, but cut throat competition.

That's how it is these days, it's rare (especially in Ireland) you'll get a company that will hold you're hand from start to finish... they want someone to hit the ground running, or be almost in the position to without having to do much work.

As the senior management are also getting on in age the unions will certainly wont new blood that can go from these positions to progress. Therefore, other skills and demograohics will be needed outside of the basic driving skills.

There is a much bigger picture at play here outside of just hiring train drivers. I was literally in connelly last night and honest to god ive never seen such a wore out and demottivated old looking work force.

The wall was holding up one of the supervisors:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

oleras wrote:
    I know general welbeing, BMI etc are also included but just on the cardiac stuff. Would a previous cardiac episode rule one out ?

Wondering if any issues with hearing would be an issue?
    Are hearing tests part of the medical?

dar100 wrote: »
    As the senior management are also getting on in age the unions will certainly wont new blood that can go from these positions to progress. Therefore, other skills and demograohics will be needed outside of the basic driving skills.

There is a much bigger picture at play here outside of just hiring train drivers. I was literally in connelly last night and honest to god ive never seen such a wore out and demottivated old looking work force.

I'm sure there is, as with any recruitment drive of this amount.

But still, someone who has been in a safety related role for a number of years, may already have that management experience.

For example, PDF Sergant rank basic pay would be less than starting pay for this.
    This is someone who has managerial experience, lots of safety training, situational awarenes etc..

It will be interesting how many go past the video day.

But still, someone who has been in a safety related role for a number of years, may already have that management experience.

For example, PDF Sergant rank basic pay would be less than starting pay for this.
    This is someone who has managerial experience, lots of safety training, situational awarenes etc..

Yes, our points being that the other skills were garnered elsewhere.

Is there any links to the pay scales of different positiins in IE?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

All depends if those folks can pass the tests though, they are a leveller of the playing field, same with most public jobs.

I took part in the executive officer recruitment campaign in the civil service (I'm a clerical officer in the civil service about 3 years at the moment) and did really well and made the 1st round of interviews. There's excellent people I work with who have been in my job for 5/10 years who have all the experience to be a very good executive officer, but they couldn't pass the entrance exams.

So those people you mentioned might well be more suited to being a train driver, but how suited are they at doing well in the required exams to get to the interview stage?

All depends if those folks can pass the tests though, they are a leveller of the playing field, same with most public jobs.

I took part in the executive officer recruitment campaign in the civil service (I'm a clerical officer in the civil service about 3 years at the moment) and did really well and made the 1st round of interviews. There's excellent people I work with who have been in my job for 5/10 years who have all the experience to be a very good executive officer, but they couldn't pass the entrance exams.

So those people you mentioned might well be more suited to being a train driver, but how suited are they at doing well in the required exams to get to the interview stage?

The assessments in both are fairly str8 forward tbf.

You saw some staff in Connolly last night - even that must be something of a record! In my experience, the sight of IE employees anywhere except on the ticket barrier is increasingly rare. Out in the bleak commuter wilderness that are the suburban platforms, they are an endangered species. I noted a fairly stoned looking girl cross between Platforms 5 & 6 in the dark by way of the tracks on my most recent visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Del.Monte wrote: »
    What does this even mean?

Can you explain a justification for inventing new roles and hence cost just to satisfy your dated idea of how things should be?

If you want to make the rural lines completely unviable and closed immediately it'd be a good thing, but I think you want Rosslare to stay open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

GaGa21 wrote: »
    Wondering if any issues with hearing would be an issue?
    Are hearing tests part of the medical?

Yes you go in to a booth and do a hearing test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

You go in and press the button like a mad man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭TK Lemon

What is the typical shift pattern of a driver, how often would a night shift come up?

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

TK Lemon wrote: »
    What is the typical shift pattern of a driver, how often would a night shift come up?

Just at a guess I imagine it's something like the Garda/FF work, 4 days 4 evenings 4 nights etc... with 2/4 days off in between the shift set? Rotating with weekends off maybe one in 4 or something along them lines. With 12hr shifts or 8hr shifts.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Just at a guess I imagine it's something like the Garda/FF work, 4 days 4 evenings 4 nights etc... with 2/4 days off in between the shift set? Rotating with weekends off maybe one in 4 or something along them lines. With 12hr shifts or 8hr shifts.

What is the justification for night shifts? There's no night routes.

train placement, freight... might not necessarily be "night" ...but out of hours ...finish 2 or 3, start 4 or 5 etc..

train placement, freight... might not necessarily be "night" ...but out of hours ...finish 2 or 3, start 4 or 5 etc..

Plus track work as in maintenance, someone has to drive the loco!

Again, could be a case where it's a 1 in 5 week event your selected for it.

To be honest, there is a bit of discussion here that I would be more thinking along the lines of cross that bridge when you come to it.

Little talk here about interview which is the big hurdle. The rest comes after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Plus track work as in maintenance, someone has to drive the loco!

Again, could be a case where it's a 1 in 5 week event your selected for it.

To be honest, there is a bit of discussion here that I would be more thinking along the lines of cross that bridge when you come to it.

Little talk here about interview which is the big hurdle. The rest comes after.

And need to get over those online assessments:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Did the 3 online tests. First 2 not bad the last was just a wall of letters. Bit of a nightmare tbh, didn't get to finish any of the 3 but came close.

Does anyone see a scope for 24/7 rail routes operating in future?

Did the 3 online tests. First 2 not bad the last was just a wall of letters. Bit of a nightmare tbh, didn't get to finish any of the 3 but came close.

Dont think anyone will finish them, its more about doing them.correctly, with some speed

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Dont think anyone will finish them, its more about doing them.correctly, with some speed

Wonder how long before results are emailed for these

TK Lemon wrote: »
    Does anyone see a scope for 24/7 rail routes operating in future?

No. Where's the population to justify the need for such a service.

• Advertisement

IanVW wrote:
    Wonder how long before results are emailed for these

The email I received to do the online tests mentioned a timeframe of a couple of weeks before OPC responds after the test is submitted.

No. Where's the population to justify the need for such a service.

Entire DART network and Maynooth commuter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Anyone know the salary while you’re training? I know it’s a lengthy training program and just want to be sure I want to go further with application as I’m not sure I could live on a lower wage for such a long time if I was successful. Thanks folks

Sono wrote: »
    Anyone know the salary while you’re training? I know it’s a lengthy training program and just want to be sure I want to go further with application as I’m not sure I could live on a lower wage for such a long time if I was successful. Thanks folks

Circa 41 grand. Was looking at it earlier online

The email I received to do the online tests mentioned a timeframe of a couple of weeks before OPC responds after the test is submitted.

If its like Pass they will respond to everyone at same time

• Advertisement

Circa 41 grand. Was looking at it earlier online

Thanks for that, training 8 months or so is that right?

I have 39 weeks in my head fir some reason?

L1011 wrote: »
    Entire DART network and Maynooth commuter

Just how much money do you want CIE to lose? I suppose they can save something by closing down all the inter-city routes completely.

nothing like that whatsoever

Thanks for that, training 8 months or so is that right?

Training will be 14/15 months

Just how much money do you want CIE to lose? I suppose they can save something by closing down all the inter-city routes completely.

They would have to be PSO supported, like everywhere else with them

You want them to hire platform staff to satisfy some Victorian ideal of a railway, which wouldn't be PSO supported

Training will be 14/15 months

Christ! that’s some training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Christ! that’s some training.

Believe around half of that is actually driving so not that bad.

2 of the questions on one of the tests havent got correct answers as an option. Minor mistakes, but major f up for a large competition like this. however, ive had to answer both wrong in the hope that they realise this and right it

The 2nd round tests have to be completed on a laptop or PC I’m guessing?

• Advertisement

Sono wrote:
    The 2nd round tests have to be completed on a laptop or PC I’m guessing?

Yeah and better if you have a mouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

2 of the questions on one of the tests havent got correct answers as an option. Minor mistakes, but major f up for a large competition like this. however, ive had to answer both wrong in the hope that they realise this and right it

Which questions?

nothing like that whatsoever

Care to explain the shifts ?

Care to explain the shifts ?

It really every depot is different some gave 1/2 Saturdays 1/3 sundays some have 1/3 Saturdays &1/6 sundays some have no weekend work it’s a 39 hour week over the course of the roster could do 45 one week 33 the next
    Some depot might have 1 night job on the whole roster some have no nights

Which questions?

Think 30 and 32 on rules test

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nelle1

How many applications would you think applied

nelle1 wrote: »
    How many applications would you think applied

I would venture a guess in the 10 's of thousands

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

Yeah and better if you have a mouse.

Even with the mouse I could only get halfway down that wall of letters. I think this counts me out. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Coralcoras wrote: »
    Even with the mouse I could only get halfway down that wall of letters. I think this counts me out. :(

It doesn't, its about accuracy rather than quantity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    It doesn't, its about accuracy rather than quantity.

Thanks for the dose of positivity!

Advertisement