Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,019 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

is spotahome legit? Or will it turn out that the ad was just an awareness raising hoax, to highlight the rental sector problems?

Like really, sure it has to be a hoax. it can't actually be real.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

Kamili wrote: »
    but but, it has a smoke alarm!

Thankfully, that place looks like it would burn to the ground in seconds.. Hopefully it's actually wired up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

is spotahome legit? Or will it turn out that the ad was just an awareness raising hoax, to highlight the rental sector problems?

Like really, sure it has to be a hoax. it can't actually be real.

Nope, they are legit.
    Looked into it a bit.
    More focused on students and people coming over for a year to work than on families but that isnt an excuse for this ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

inforfun wrote: »
    Nope, they are legit.
    Looked into it a bit.
    More focused on students and people coming over for a year to work than on families but that isnt an excuse for this ****.

Some of the apartments on that site are 2k a month and upwards. No clue what kind of students would be able to afford that sort of rent!

The whole site looks dodgy as ****.

Nope, they are legit.
    Looked into it a bit.

Funnily enough their whole business model appears to be centered around them going to each property and "verifying it" plus taking the pictures / videos themselves and then saying that tenants can't even view the property because it must be like the pictures and meeting requirements because it was verified by themselves..

Just makes them look like a complete joke now if they just "verify" any property as "checked by Spotahome" regardless of whether it meets rental requirements or not. If this manages to get approval from them, I'd love to see what they actually reject..

• Advertisement

ShaneC93 wrote: »
    If this manages to get approval from them, I'd love to see what they actually reject..

Why not go and ask them....

40ba339b9559d1bc9325d12d396a5a4d.png

#fundafun added to give it some "wings"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

That Sutton house actually reminds me of a house I had as a child.
    Similar size, layout and equipment.
    Except this was my cobby house and it was for playing in.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Why not go and ask them....

40ba339b9559d1bc9325d12d396a5a4d.png

#fundafun added to give it some "wings"

Good luck getting a response from them, Reviews are pretty crap for customer care

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.spotahome.com

Well, got a reply....

0afd51f18e044d47e57516deec464264.png

Wish i could do this in Dutch. So much easier for me to rip them a new one in my own language.

Well, got a reply....

Wish i could do this in Dutch. So much easier for me to rip them a new one in my own language.
    And it's Gone!
    Either some poor sod has taken it on or they've realised that they're going to be crucified for trying to let it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Well, got a reply....

Wish i could do this in Dutch. So much easier for me to rip them a new one in my own language.[/quote

Wie denken jullie wel niet wie jullie zijn, stelletje oplichtende graftakken! Wonen? Ik kan m'n schoonmoeder nog niet begraven hier! And then watch their faces trying to make sense of it ::-D

Yes... that i would consider polite.
    Born and raised in Rotterdam and i dont do polite when i am pissed off.

Even Jeremy Clarkson is impressed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr2dhjDE2Ro

Kamili wrote: »
    They've made a video to show you round!

The video's been taken down, but this is the internet and there are other copies available ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

https://www.spotahome.com/dublin/for-rent:apartments/261464

I'm speechless..... survive winter in this one?

Yellowlabradour wins the thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Lackey wrote: »
    Yellowlabradour wins the thread :pac:

Winner winner, outside for the chicken dinner.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Spotahome kip has been taken down..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Grayson wrote: »
    Someone sent me the link earlier on whatsapp but it was gone by the time I got to it. Thanks for the screenshots.

The construction of that place kinda reminds me of this. Just not as well built ...

Very intersting doc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

TheJournal reporting on that side passage shed for anyone who didn't see it first time around...

Advert for 'glorified shed', being rented for €700/month, removed from website

Fixed link

http://www.thejournal.ie/property-ad-removed-from-website-4279472-Oct2018/

Linkie nie workie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Linkie nie workie

Fixed hopefully.

From the comments:
    f97db2b86a57a8f2fb83bbc61e6df43e.png
    He said from his council house\bedroom in parents house

I think i would get along really well with that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

does anyone have a link to the video that the "developer" of this shack posted on facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

TheJournal reporting on that side passage shed for anyone who didn't see it first time around...

Fixed link

Lovin Dublin, Joe.ie, Journal etc all reported it and another posted on here. They're nicking stories from here.

You WHORES.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Conspiracy me says this was a ruse to get their website out in the open - no such thing as bad publicity or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,019 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Conspiracy me says this was a ruse to get their website out in the open - no such thing as bad publicity or something?
    well I am seeing loads of banner ads for them now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fixed link

It's not a glorified shed, a glorified shed would be an improvement on that thing. It's just a few pieces of plywood stuck to the side of their house. You'd feel bad putting a dog in it on a cold, windy night.

I wonder how long it will be until the landlord decides to stick it up on Daft instead.

I don't believe it was a hoax. I know people say 'any publicity is good publicity' but the way Spotahome handled the backlash / media attention was anything but good. Instead of just apologising and saying they'll put in place procedures so it doesn't happen again etc. they essentially doubled down and said it was not at all their fault / problem and that the 'Checked by Spotahome Guarantee' just means the property exists.. not that it meets regulations / is safe to live in.

That "verifier" Veronica was in the pictures, just like she is in all the other available Dublin accommodation.
    If you just want to hoax, you wouldnt put that picture in there.

It wasnt a hoax and it wasnt an over sight. They are just in there to make money and dont give a **** how.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That "verifier" Veronica was in the pictures, just like she is in all the other available Dublin accommodation.
    If you just want to hoax, you wouldnt put that picture in there.

It wasnt a hoax and it wasnt an over sight. They are just in there to make money and dont give a **** how.

Ran this past family in Canada who just laughed and that this happens all the time over there..

I mentioned Tiny Homes?

See

http://www.tinyhomes.ie/

https://selfbuild.ie/advice/tiny-homes/

Advertisement