Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showering?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Normal people probably could survive with showering less, while dirty smell bastards need to shower way more often.

There’s a lad in work who sweats like a peadophile in a Barney costume. Wojus smell of BO off him.

This is so true. It often depends on the person.

I lived with a guy in college who wasn't really into showering, we talked about it, he only had one a week on average but yet the man did not smell.

Whereas I've been around other people who go bad very quickly. Within hours there is a smell emanating.

I think it's down to genes, oliy skin, excessive perspiration etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

murpho999 wrote: »
    People just come up to you and tell you that you smell good? Yea right.

People im in close contact with comment that i smell nice, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Well I had three showers yesterday.

One in the morning (like everyone should)

Another after the gym which I hope to god everyone does

And lastly one after I got my hair cut to get rid of all the hair particles.

So in one day I had more than some on here have in a week.

I’d say most saying the only shower every other day are just trolling. How hard can it be to just take a quick shower in the morning?!

And do you get your hair cut every day ?
    They aren't trolling, they are telling the truth. Nobody needs to shower 3 or more times during a normal day that is just silly.
    If anyone here is trolling, I think its you....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

This is so true. It often depends on the person.

I lived with a guy in college who wasn't really into showering, we talked about it, he only had one a week on average but yet the man did not smell.

Whereas I've been around other people who go bad very quickly. Within hours there is a smell emanating.

I think it's down to genes, oliy skin, excessive perspiration etc.

Lads who love the beer tend to stink. Sweating the booze out of them. And that’s before the Guinness farts start. Pintmen can be wretched yokes to be sitting beside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I googled it just to see what came up
    Mostly I got answers like this.
    I think it goes hand in hand with washing your clothes. If I do a 4 hour shift in work I'll wash my shirt, if I do a 10 hour shift I wash everything.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/how-often-should-you-shower-4154629

The honest, albeit utterly vague, answer to the question is it depends. There really isn't a magic number that is right for every person. But, there is a general consensus among dermatologists that as a society we shower too often. Dermatologists vary in their recommendations, so advice runs the gamut from showering once or twice a week to once every two to three days.
    A shower every other day or so is a good guideline. Most people can shower every second or third day and still be clean and unlikely to offend your family and co-workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Some people here seem to be confusing "need to shower" with "want to shower". I enjoy my shower in a morning, it makes me feel much more awake than I would otherwise do.

I don't have a physically demanding job so I don't get sweaty or dirty at work. If, as occasionally happens for some reason, I miss a shower in the morning I can categorically state here that I do not smell bad. I know that because I've asked family, friends and even colleagues!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Some people here seem to be confusing "need to shower" with "want to shower". I enjoy my shower in a morning, it makes me feel much more awake than I would otherwise do.

I don't have a physically demanding job so I don't get sweaty or dirty at work. If, as occasionally happens for some reason, I miss a shower in the morning I can categorically state here that I do not smell bad. I know that because I've asked family, friends and even colleagues!

Someone comes my way saying "do I smell bad?" Unless I hate them I am saying no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Someone comes my way saying "do I smell bad?" Unless I hate them I am saying no.

Well, if you're a friend, you'd be honest, surely? Or would you prefer your friend to be the person who's talked about behind their back and known as "the smelly f*cker"?

Well, if you're a friend, you'd be honest, surely? Or would you prefer your friend to be the person who's talked about behind their back and known as "the smelly f*cker"?

Ok friends and family I would be honest. Colleagues no.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well I had three showers yesterday.

One in the morning (like everyone should)

Another after the gym which I hope to god everyone does

And lastly one after I got my hair cut to get rid of all the hair particles.

So in one day I had more than some on here have in a week.

I’d say most saying the only shower every other day are just trolling. How hard can it be to just take a quick shower in the morning?!

You should change to a barber/hairdresser who knows how to gown you properly.

Haven't had that problem for years.

Also, in relation to after the gym. I would shower too as it's nice but it would not be a problem if you showered the next morning as fresh sweat does not smell for a few days so if you showered the next day it would be fine.

BO is stale sweat. The fear people have of sweat is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

troyzer wrote: »
    I never understand those freaks who go to bed clean and wake up dirty.

You are going to accumulate oil on your skin during the night, that's just a fact.

I couldn't imagine going to work having not showered for 12 hours, so weird.
    It's hardly gonna be 12 hours. Nine max.

Good bit of bandwagon jumping/faux fear/strange one-upmanship on this thread.

For me, once daily - mostly before bed, sometimes morning. I hardly turn into stinksville just from sleeping in bed though ffs. I regularly change bedding and regularly change/wash my clothes.

Occasionally I have a second shower, and very occasionally I skip one (if not going anywhere and it's during cold weather). People who recoil at that and/or shower before bed and then again in the morning every single day need to either get their OCD treated or harden the **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I use baby wipes every 4 or 5 days. Sometimes I only use the wipes once.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Katgurl wrote: »
    This topic always makes me shudder on AH. Just wash every day ffs.

I agree however there is a difference between a shower and a wash. A shower is well getting into a shower a wash is getting a clean sponge (disposable) and giving a clean to area that can produce sweat or chaff together e.g. neither region

Chewbacca wrote: »

Love this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

EdgeCase wrote: »
    The worse I ever remember was going to the Gaeltacht and the Bean an tí would only let us shower once a week! It was absolutely horrible. I had to wash in the sea.

Which Gaeltacht were you in? Once a week sounds like decades ago.
    Gaeltacht I went to we had a shower rota of every second day.

I'd say I shower 6 days out of 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Which Gaeltacht were you in? Once a week sounds like decades ago.
    Gaeltacht I went to we had a shower rota of every second day.

I'd say I shower 6 days out of 7.

It was the early 2000s.
    She also wouldn't let us use the washing machine. We had to hand wash and drip dry our clothes.

I complained at the time but never went back to the Gaeltacht ever again after it

I won't name the Gaeltacht as I genuinely think she was a bit of an 'odd' Bean an Ti as other people did not have the same level of bad experience.

She also had the whole thing of giving us really basic food - for example her interpretation of spaghetti Bolognese which was more like mince and ketchup and sitting at a table having a big slap up dinner herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Some folk act as though not showering daily is akin to the above.

Some people are absolutely disgusting no question about it, but the losing of one's sh1t over someone showering every second day when they don't do anything physically exerting and have dry skin and don't get smelly easily (these people exist)... I get people saying they couldn't skip a shower, but not those pretending the former leaves them feeling faint.

That said, I wouldn't consider it great to skip a shower during the really warm weather, and every second day should be the minimum.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

ye fancy b@stard ye, bet they are pampers ones in all. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I work in an office and do shower every morning though I'm only in there about 2-3 minutes.

Plus wet shaving with often less-than-new blades having not had a shower hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    ye fancy b@stard ye, bet they are pampers ones in all. :pac:

I'm worth it....no Lidl wipes for me!

Seriously though, when away with work I have used the aul baby wipe shower routine regularly. Either that or don't wash for a week....not cool.

If I cycle to work, I will have 3 showers a day. Once when I get to work, one after my run at lunch and one after cycling home. Anyone who doesnt shower after training is a dirtbird.

If I drive to work it will be 2 showers a day. One after my run at lunch and one after my gym session in the evening.

If im doing f.uuuuuuuck all training, I will shower in the morning....maybe twice if Mrs Chewbacca is feelin' frisky. I doubt the bang of day old musty ballbag or barse will get her going, no matter how gorgeous I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Every morning - wouldn't feel right without one.

I shower every day before work, for multiple reasons: the feeling of starting the day off fresh, the enjoyment of it, washing gel out of my hair from the day before, helping to wake me up by ending the warm shower with a cold shower, making it easier to shave because your skin is softer, smelling better etc. However, it isn't unhygenic in my opinion to shower every 2nd day, and if you are very inactive (eg. sitting on the sofa) I'd guess that 3 days is okay too. And I think the only reason people think they (and perhaps actually do) smell bad if they don't shower every day is because their bodies are used to them showering every day; when you remove naturally produced oils so completely, your body tries to restore what it considers natural by overproducing them again - this is why clearasil and the likes don't get rid of acne.

When I was growing up my siblings and I had a bath once a week, in shared bath water, and I am sure many others were like us - having a shower was something only Americans did or people on tv/movies. I may not have been looking out for it but I don't remember people smelling bad in general growing up. Anyone over the age of 40 here: did your parents shower every day when you were growing up? When did it become the norm to shower every day?
    Up until very recently I considered it luxurious to have access to a hot shower every day if you so wished, am I the only one like this? And I am still very grateful for it. I makes me anxious to think of the demands on the earth limited energy supplies when everyone has become to expect the luxury of a hot shower every day.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Anyone over the age of 40 here: did your parents shower every day when you were growing up? When did it become the norm to shower every day?
    Up until very recently I considered it luxurious to have access to a hot shower every day if you so wished, am I the only one like this? And I am still very grateful for it. I makes me anxious to think of the demands on the earth limited energy supplies when everyone has become to expect the luxury of a hot shower every day.

In later years when they got an electric shower they did daily, and I remember they would wash daily at the sink with a bar of soap and a facecloth. But it would be weekly baths for them unless Dad was doing something particularly mucky outside. Like you they considered the hot shower ever day as a real treat so when they got it they embraced it whole heartedly. Any visiting children also get chucked in nightly regardless of protests :D.

For children, we would usually stand in a basin in the bath and get washed with warm soapy water nightly before bed. Especially when younger when you'd be muckier. Bath then once a week with a hair wash, Saturday evening so we'd be all shining for mass the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Every morning for me, twice a day if I've been to a gym.

I don't mind people not showering every day if they're not smelly but there is absolutely no excuse for bed head. Run a comb/brush through your hair ya minger.

For some reason I've seen a lot of this lately.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Every morning for me, twice a day if I've been to a gym.

I don't mind people not showering every day if they're not smelly but there is absolutely no excuse for bed head. Run a comb/brush through your hair ya minger.

For some reason I've seen a lot of this lately.

What about when you fix your hair and its still bed head? :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There's a whole line of products specifically to give you the bed head look!

611wDkzmkrL._SY355_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Some people are absolutely disgusting no question about it, but the losing of one's sh1t over someone showering every second day when they don't do anything physically exerting and have dry skin and don't get smelly easily (these people exist)... I get people saying they couldn't skip a shower, but not those pretending the former leaves them feeling faint.

Probably the same people who wouldn't sit on their bed in the clothes they wore outside that day or cover public toilet seats with tissue before sitting down. You have an immune system people, chill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

You'll have to speak up.

I'm wearing a towel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

EdgeCase wrote: »
    The worse I ever remember was going to the Gaeltacht and the Bean an tí would only let us shower once a week! It was absolutely horrible. I had to wash in the sea.

Uafásach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I shower every evening when I get home. Twice or three times a day in hot and humid weather because I sweat like a b@stard in hot weather :(
    I always give the undercarriage a good clean with a soapy sponge in the mornings.

Advertisement