Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showering?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I shower twice a day. When I get up for work and then after my workout in the middle of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Not cleaning these regions everyday CAN lead to skin infections. Especially of the feet and peri-anal/genital regions. You can clean them elsewhere other than the shower, as has been pointed out by myself and others in thread.
    You want a source for the need for daily washing of your hoop?! You can get your practice nurse to recommend you plenty when she's packing your peri-anal abcess with betadine infused gauze.

You asked somebody else for a source for their post. I’m simply asking you for the same. I’d be shocked if any doctor, nurse or dermatologist even raised an eyebrow at somebody saying they wash (whatever the method) every second day. We have native bacteria on our skin that does a good job at outcompeting foreign bacteria over a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Oh goody, this thread again.

I shower nightly. Might not bother on Saturday if I wasn't going anywhere. Wash my hair every 2/3 days.

Have wondered idly in the past about how people in olden days why may have washed very infrequently managed to get some lovin' from their other halves. I mean, imagine - just imagine - 'going downtown' on someone who hasn't had a bath for a month!!!! Or even cuddling up to someone who hasn't washed their hair or armpits since last Christmas. Did they just get used to it, or.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Not cleaning these regions everyday CAN lead to skin infections. Especially of the feet and peri-anal/genital regions. You can clean them elsewhere other than the shower, as has been pointed out by myself and others in thread.
    You want a source for the need for daily washing of your hoop?! You can get your practice nurse to recommend you plenty when she's packing your peri-anal abcess with betadine infused gauze.

You asked somebody else for a source for their post. I’m simply asking you for the same. I’d be shocked if any doctor, nurse or dermatologist even raised an eyebrow at somebody saying they wash (whatever the method) every second day. We have native bacteria on our skin that does a good job at outcompeting foreign bacteria over a few days.
    The person I questioned said a health professional recommended bathing once a week. I don't believe that and don't expect a source to be forthcoming as I'm sure you know.

Most women will end up with BV if they don't wash themselves intimately daily. My gp is my source, but most women figure it out for themselves once puberty hits.

I can't speak for men but do know that a young male relative ended up in hospital with a really nasty infection under his foreskin, and he and his (quite frankly, stinky) family are the sort to bathe every couple of days. Had the mother giving out stink for the lecture the Dr. gave her re hygiene after puberty.

I don't believe anyone would require a source for daily washing of certain parts of the body. I'm frankly quite shocked anyone would even question it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Oh goody, this thread again.

I shower nightly. Might not bother on Saturday if I wasn't going anywhere. Wash my hair every 2/3 days.

Have wondered idly in the past about how people in olden days why may have washed very infrequently managed to get some lovin' from their other halves. I mean, imagine - just imagine - 'going downtown' on someone who hasn't had a bath for a month!!!! Or even cuddling up to someone who hasn't washed their hair or armpits since last Christmas. Did they just get used to it, or.....
    Or, they washed themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Seoda1

In the morning, I like to feel fresh at the start of the day, a shower at night would wake me up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The person I questioned said a health professional recommended bathing once a week. I don't believe that and don't expect a source to be forthcoming as I'm sure you know.

Most women will end up with BV if they don't wash themselves intimately daily. My gp is my source, but most women figure it out for themselves once puberty hits.

I can't speak for men but do know that a young male relative ended up in hospital with a really nasty infection under his foreskin, and he and his (quite frankly, stinky) family are the sort to bathe every couple of days. Had the mother giving out stink for the lecture the Dr. gave her re hygiene after puberty.

I don't believe anyone would require a source for daily washing of certain parts of the body. I'm frankly quite shocked anyone would even question it.

Well, that sounds like he wasn’t cleaning that tricky area properly. If he’s not, infection can arise whether he washed every day or once a week. You don’t seem to know how often his family bathe. Could be once a week.

My whole family are “the sort” to bathe every-other-day and certainly don’t stink. And them being family doesn’t mean I wouldn’t detect smelliness off them.

And, as said, I don’t know where people are encountering all these smelly people. I’ve spent plenty of time on rush hour public transport and rarely got a bang off anyone. Is it because every one of those people bathed daily? I seriously doubt it.

I find so many people very OTT about cleanliness and actually, yeah, I DO think some of the statements made on threads like this about washing daily should be questioned. Lads, you’ve all stood next to a non-smelly person who showered yesterday.

On the bacterial issue, every second day is absolutely fine. We have native bacteria on our skin that help keep foreign bacteria at bay for a few day due to outcompeting them. It’s our immune system’s first line of defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Dont forget, once a year:wire brush and dettol (be sure to start from the top down)

The Christmas wash

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

AKA sweat.

Are you saying your genitals and hoop only get washed once a week?

Indeed. More frequent washing is unnatural

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

troyzer wrote: »
    I never understand those freaks who go to bed clean and wake up dirty.

You are going to accumulate oil on your skin during the night, that's just a fact.

I couldn't imagine going to work having not showered for 12 hours, so weird.

That oil is supposed to be there. As a barrier. If you shower every day you're drying out your skin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Its advised by a lot of health professionals 2-3 times a week roughly is best.

If you only shower 2 - 3 times a week you fcuking stink, and the reason why you don't encounter smelly people in the course of your day is because YOU ARE THE SMELLY PERSON.

I'd believe it's a significant percentage of the general population too, if the foul nasty smells emanating off fellow passengers on the buses and trains I frequent every day are anything to go by. Worst and probably most common is the garlic sweats and the "on the piss last night and not aRsed showering off the stale booze escaping through my pores" scent so many people have.

I instantly fall in love with the "daily shower" brigade on public transport, who smell like soap and fresh linen. Saints, the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I shower morningly. I wouldn't feel awake otherwise. Only takes a few minutes, and then as soon as I've shaved my legs and arms, I'm dressed and out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Showering is for metrosexuals. Real men don't feel the need to shower after a long hard day chopping up wood and wrestling bears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I shower 3 times a week. I tend to be on the dryer side of things, so letting oils build up for a few days is more beneficial for my skin and hair than stripping them dry every day. I wash my face daily and will use a wet cloth on my pits and other sensitive areas, but no soap. I work in a line of business that wouldn't tolerate smelliness, and I have a very bold boss, so I'm confident that my body care routine is working just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

This topic always makes me shudder on AH. Just wash every day ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Shower in the morning to wake up and be fresh for the day
    Shower in the evening to wash the day off me, nothing better than clean pjs and clean bed sheets after a shower. Always feel better after a shower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Grammar-nazis, Feminazis and now we have...............Shower-nazis :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

This thread is certainly not representative of the real Ireland! Never do I see so many people say they shower daily, and never do I hear accusations of people who don't shower every day as smelly!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Once in the morning, once in the evening, and sometimes a third one if I'm going out that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

In the morning, I rarely skip a day. I take medication that gives me some night sweats and it happens that I wake up sticky which is pretty uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

824.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

If you only shower 2 - 3 times a week you fcuking stink, and the reason why you don't encounter smelly people in the course of your day is because YOU ARE THE SMELLY PERSON.

I'd believe it's a significant percentage of the general population too, if the foul nasty smells emanating off fellow passengers on the buses and trains I frequent every day are anything to go by. Worst and probably most common is the garlic sweats and the "on the piss last night and not aRsed showering off the stale booze escaping through my pores" scent so many people have.

I instantly fall in love with the "daily shower" brigade on public transport, who smell like soap and fresh linen. Saints, the lot of them.

It completely depends on what kind of job you have. If you do a labor intensive job and you sweat all day then yes, you should shower everyday. If you sit in an office all day and don't sweat then there is nothing wrong with a shower every 2 days.
    Showering every day is extremely bad for your skin. I used to shower everyday when I worked in a labor intensive job, I had awfully dry skin all the time. I am now in an office and shower every 2 days if I can get away with it, skin is so much better now. I would shower 3 or 4 times a week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I shower 3 times a week, people tell me I smell good regularly
    Some people just dont sweat a lot, and dont need to shower everyday

In the mid summer when temps are over 20C everyday I would shower daily though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Depending on training & work but for sure twice a day, some days three times.

How does that work? 7am 2pm 8pm(approx)?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

wakka12 wrote: »
    I shower 3 times a week, people tell me I smell good regularly
    Some people just dont sweat a lot, and dont need to shower everyday

In the mid summer when temps are over 20C everyday I would shower daily though

People just come up to you and tell you that you smell good? Yea right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    824.jpg

Every time you post one of these it goes back on the front page of the forum,you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Normal people probably could survive with showering less, while dirty smell bastards need to shower way more often.

There’s a lad in work who sweats like a peadophile in a Barney costume. Wojus smell of BO off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

murpho999 wrote: »
    People just come up to you and tell you that you smell good? Yea right.

Hey Sir, you smell good. Have a good day "waves goodbye"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The worse I ever remember was going to the Gaeltacht and the Bean an tí would only let us shower once a week! It was absolutely horrible. I had to wash in the sea.

It's no wonder I went on French exchanges every year after that! Sunshine and access to normal facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

You do realise that the Twice-a-Dayers now consider you to be a disgustingly smelly **** :D

Well I had three showers yesterday.

One in the morning (like everyone should)

Another after the gym which I hope to god everyone does

And lastly one after I got my hair cut to get rid of all the hair particles.

So in one day I had more than some on here have in a week.

I’d say most saying the only shower every other day are just trolling. How hard can it be to just take a quick shower in the morning?!

Advertisement