Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stan & Ollie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Loved it. The performances were spot on. A very likable film about the pair's fading years. Kind of bittersweet but with a big heart to it.

Also free bowler hats for the audience at the Lighthouse preview screening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Decuc500 wrote: »
    I'm reading 'He' at the moment and was lucky to get tickets to the screening of Stan and Ollie in the Lighthouse cinema tonight where John Connolly will be interviewing the stars of the film.

I'm really enjoying the book. It's a big departure from his detective novels but I think he's a good enough writer to be successful at most types of fiction that he tries.

Wow! That's a coup for the Lighthouse. Connollly's knowledge of the pair is extensive. Should make for an interesting interview. Lucky you.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,373 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Seen it a few days back and loved it.

I think both John C and Steve's performances deserve an accolade or two.

I think John might get an Oscar nomination for best actor

John and Steve both great- John more-so than Steve simply because I still see Steve as Alan Partridge so hard to get that image out of my head, but in fairness to him he too plays a great Stan.

Go see it. Won't be disappointed.

How much of this was bang on the money I wonder? I knew they toured England after their hay-day but didn't know it was lowly theatres for the most part- was it spurious/poor promoters or was it lack of publicity/awareness which goes back to the theme of spurious/poor promoters? Must look it up online to see what wiki says.

Total Spoiler alert- don't look before seeing the film.
    A note on the Cobh/Ireland appearance here: very touching:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel_and_Hardy
    On September 9, 1953, their boat arrived in Cobh in the Republic of Ireland. Laurel recounted their reception:

The love and affection we found that day at Cobh was simply unbelievable. There were hundreds of boats blowing whistles and mobs and mobs of people screaming on the docks. We just couldn't understand what it was all about. And then something happened that I can never forget. All the church bells in Cobh started to ring out our theme song "Dance of the Cuckoos" and Babe (Oliver Hardy) looked at me and we cried. I'll never forget that day. Never.[87]

• Advertisement

Here's a bit more on that from Irish Examiner- again as a spoiler alert for those who haven't seen the film

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Brilliant film.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

Really enjoyed this. It was fantastic and heartrending too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Loved it. It's not strong on plot but it has a big heart. Great performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Saw this last night, it was a nice film with some good performances from the pair, and the actress playing Stan's wife was good for a laugh in it too. The chemistry is really there between Coogan and Reilly which added to the film's charm.

Disappointingly was one of those cases where the trailer really did show too much of the more emotional moments, which took away from my enjoyment. I wanted to get hit right in the feels but it didn't happen since there was nothing new on that front for me to see. You could tell me to avoid trailers, but this one couldn't be avoided when watching anything in Cineworld before it came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

great movie...

...but what about the glaring error.."thats another nice mess you gotten me into"

surely it should have been...thats another Fine mess you gotten me into" ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

fryup wrote: »
    great movie...

...but what about the glaring error.."thats another nice mess you gotten me into"

Actually that's not an error, the line 'another fine mess' was never spoken by Hardy in the films, though there was a film called 'Another Fine Mess'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

great movie...

Nope, the phrase as quoted in the movie is correct. Even in the 1930 short, "Another Fine Mess" Ollie says "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." In Chickens Come Home from 1931 Ollie begins by saying, "Well.. and Stan finishes, "Here's another nice mess I got you into."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Looks like its doing well, went to get tickets for 8.30 showing in Lighthouse on Saturday and was sold out. Going this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Speedsie wrote: »
    Actually that's not an error, the line 'another fine mess' was never spoken by Hardy in the films, though there was a film called 'Another Fine Mess'.

i stand corrected, i could have sworn it was ..."another fine mess" he said in all the movies

(must be getting dementia)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I saw it last night and the prosthetics really stood out for me.No matter how closely I stared I couldn't even see a hint where it was joined. I thought that was amazing.

I liked the film, it was a bit melancholy but a nice gentle watch for a Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

i stand corrected, i could have sworn it was ..."another fine mess" he said in all the movies

(must be getting dementia)

It's like, "Beam me up, Scotty." It entered the wider culture slightly incorrectly and stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Speedsie wrote: »

I noticed that line in Stan & Ollie and myself thought it was an error... Thanks for that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Saw this the other day. It was.....grand. TBH I was expecting a bit more. Don't get me wrong, it was a perfectly pleasant film and easily watchable, but there wasn't really a whole lot going on.

Saw this the other day. It was.....grand. TBH I was expecting a bit more. Don't get me wrong, it was a perfectly pleasant film and easily watchable, but there wasn't really a whole lot going on.

What generation are you? It was pointed out on radio by a commentator the other week that the film will probably be appreciated more by those who were raised on this type of comedy as kids.

I know in the 70s and early 80s they were always on TV so if you weren’t around then or didn’t really watch their movies, I can appreciate where you’re coming from. I loved the film but I also loved L&H as a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Felt it was pretty lightweight myself... sometimes pleasantly so, other times forgettably so.

The two lads do a grand old job, don’t get me wrong, and it all ticks along. But I think the trailer basically gives you the film - and that’s not necessarily down to the trailer being ‘spoilery’ or anything. There’s more nuance and weight in the full thing for sure, but you could basically write the general outline of the thing yourself. That direction-wise it’s not far beyond a high-budget tv drama doesn’t help.

But at the same time if you stumbled across it on a Sunday afternoon on BBC2 you’d have a grand old time: just the right amount of cheer mixed with some warm-hearted nostalgia. Laurel & Hardy were something of a gateway drug for me into classic comedy (there was one summer holiday when I was in my early teens when BBC showed one short every morning) so it’s nice to see a tribute to them. But as a film in its own right there’s just not a whole lot to it beyond strong performances. I’m usually the biggest proponent you’ll find of seeing any given film on the big screen, but this is the rare beast where I got the sense its natural home is on the small one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

mikhail wrote: »
    It's like, "Beam me up, Scotty." It entered the wider culture slightly incorrectly and stuck.

And "Play it again, Sam"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

That's exactly why I enjoyed it so much. There was no fake drama, it was a story about two great comedians, past their prime but still very funny, doing their last tour together. There was no great drama at the time, and it's nice that the film didn't try to add too much fakeness. In a world where everything has to be dramatic, including day to day stuff lest someone feel normal, it was nice to see a change of pace when not a whole lot happens, but it is still funny and touching.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

What generation are you? It was pointed out on radio by a commentator the other week that the film will probably be appreciated more by those who were raised on this type of comedy as kids.

I know in the 70s and early 80s they were always on TV so if you weren’t around then or didn’t really watch their movies, I can appreciate where you’re coming from. I loved the film but I also loved L&H as a kid.
    Watched them a bit alright on TV back in the 80s when RTE used to show them. Basically Johnny Ultimate above has given my thoughts on the film, but with far more eloquence!
    Johnmb wrote: »
    it's nice that the film didn't try to add too much fakeness. .
    Ironically enough (spoiler)
    it seems the overall arc of the story was 'fake' - they apparently started their UK tour/s playing to packed large venues and ended up in the small ones - the reverse of the film.

Ironically enough (spoiler)
    it seems the overall arc of the story was 'fake' - they apparently started their UK tour/s playing to packed large venues and ended up in the small ones - the reverse of the film.
    Yeah, I heard that on radio the other day- I was disappointed to hear that in that the movie didn't depict things that way - and yeah, now that I hear that, I'm a bit more disappointed now - still great acting but would have thought they would have been done justice to the true end story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Four of us went to this on Saturday night, all loved it, a lovely, warm tribute to the lads and Vaudeville. More ambitious than I thought from trailer. 4/5 stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Watched this last night. An absolutely beautiful tribute.

Advertisement