Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 2 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

wonski wrote: »
    I will let you know tomorrow morning, or few days later when i got letters from dd originators...

UB claims it will pay them regardless of account balance, but i have my doubts...
    Will they pay mortgage payment of 1000E just like that? Regardless of balance/account history? I doubt.

Mortgage was paid out last night so they are being true to their word

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Assuming that their systems get back up and running, and the account balances are brought back into reasonable shape fairly soon, Ulster Bank's management will be preoccupied with the following over the coming months:
    • Catching up on the remnants of the backlog
    • Chasing down the additional credit given to customers in cash form during the outage, and trying to get this back
    • Dealing with whatever fraud arose during the outage
    • Conducting extensive systems and process/procedure reviews and implementing the recommendations
    • Resolving account queries in respect of any "lost transactions" and "lost batch jobs" and this is going to be a minefield for them.
    • Answering to a plethora of prudential, financial and regulatory audits, parliamentary enquiries, shareholder investigations etc all of which will detract from the day to day running of the bank
    • Probably coping with a few less staff at a senior level (after the fall guys fall) and maybe some new brooms (inflicted by the BOE/CBI) whose vigorous sweeping generates even more work for the troops
    In other words doing all sorts of things that have nothing to do with the day to day running of a bank. Therefore eye off the ball time. And that’s allowing for the two very substantial assumptions in my opening paragraph above (that their systems get back up and running, and the account balances are brought back into reasonable shape fairly soon)

If they don’t achieve this, (an it may well be too late already) then it’s a Disaster scenario. There are many many statistics about the failure rate of companies who experience a significant disaster. Many of these are pure bull. However one of the most widely accepted statements is this “A Company that experiences a computer outage lasting more than 10 days will never fully recover financially. 50 percent will be out of business within five years.” ("Disaster Recovery Planning: Managing Risk & Catastrophe in Information Systems" by John Toiga, 1989)

I do not believe that Ulster Bank will collapse and leave account holders without their money. If nothing else the Irish Deposit Guarantee Scheme combined with the fact that RBS is owned by the British Government should minimise the risk of people not getting their money back ultimately.

I do however believe that there are other serious risks, depending on which scenario unfolds: Take the scenario outlined above (the most optimistic) - the bank survives as is. Management will be severely distracted, and will also be endeavouring to placate shareholders (their bosses) by making up the cost of the disruption which is currently estimated to be between £100m and £200m across the RBS group. This will be a very very different bank to the one which we are used to.

A second possibility is that "the attempts to clear the backlog" as they euphemistically call it, are somewhat less successful and administrators are appointed to clean it up, or the outfit is broken up and sold/given to other banks to sort out - this could well result in accounts being "locked" for a period to allow a handover audit take place, resulting in a period when accessing funds could be difficult at the very least.

There are a number of variants of the second scenario, from protracted wind-up/down, to immediate hostile takeover. None of these offer any particular comfort to the average account holder.

So my thoughts, after almost two weeks? Is your money ultimately safe - Yes, you will get it all back some day. Are things going to get worse before they get better? Probably. What is the sensible thing to do - Move your deposit/savings NOW while you can, or at the very least 50% of it to another institution and then see how this plays out before making a final decision. That’s what I did.

This is a rewrite of an earlier post (in the previous thread) which unfortunately contravened various posting guidelines and earned me an infraction for "Pointless, non constructive hyperbole”. I genuinely hope that I have not breached any guidelines on this occasion. And for the record, I apologise to the Mods for breaching the guidelines.

The best thing I love about boards is how people post their opinion as matter of fact ......... v amusing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Screenshot from the BBC website this morning, not one mention of this at all.

What the hell is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

Are payments into accounts happening normally yet? I accept grudgingly that my paycheck due into my account from the 21st June is caught in the 'backlog' but will I see my paycheck due in on the 5th July. I can handle one missed paycheck but not two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

My UB Mortgage wasn't taken from AIB this morning, despite being in funds. Wonder what will happen now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

Friday Morning, my account had €90 in it. Friday evening a mystery €210 showed up, giving me a total of €300. Didn't touch it all weekend in case it disappeared again. Lo and behold, I just checked my account again, and it's now 110 overdrawn! Wtf ulster bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

More movement on the account overnight. No credits made. We are now overdrawn.
    No sign of the mortgage or regular direct debits/standing orders since 21st being paid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Huggles wrote: »
    My UB Mortgage wasn't taken from AIB this morning, despite being in funds. Wonder what will happen now...

I can now see 12.70 charge applied to my account, and no sign of DD taken,too. There is another duplicated transaction of 17.40(pos i think), and new debit for 6euro also showed up - but, guess what, no sign of my wage yet, and the SO of 50 euro still didn't arrive in my savings.

Anyone else noticed penalty charges on their account???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Totally believed official story up until today - there was a transaction on my account that could not have been made as no funds were available (before the crisis) and now that transaction has disappeared despite parading on my transaction list for last week, today it's just gone! - this kind of thing does not happen when an update is corrupted or scheduling is deleted - transactions are missing and a growing number of people are reporting transactions which shouldn't be there - seems to me like they were hacked or if not that they are the most incompetent bunch of goons that has ever graced the sector and that is saying something - oh and I am awaiting payments now for 8 workings days, no sign no info - absolute madness! And unlike most I don't have payslips so what am I supposed to do?

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I am very much affected by this. 2 salaries missing, loans, mortgage and some direct debits unpaid etc. Living off my credit card now.
    I am sure this will get resolved in time. I have worked for 10 years in banks IT. When it is fixed i reckon UB / RBS will make their systems iron clad and may well end up the safest place to bank. Well here's hoping anyway. Hopefully all the banks will learn a huge lesson.

It's not going to be a one off if banks gamble with moving their IT to India. Despite all the spin, this is the cause of the problem. All banks in Ireland bar AIB are using India to some degree now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ah well, back to €185 today. I went down to €156 for no reason but back up now.

AT LEAST it shows they were up to something over the weekend and not sitting on their hands waiting for Stephen Hester. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

deadduck wrote: »
    Friday Morning, my account had €90 in it. Friday evening a mystery €210 showed up, giving me a total of €300. Didn't touch it all weekend in case it disappeared again. Lo and behold, I just checked my account again, and it's now 110 overdrawn! Wtf ulster bank!

ya mine is the same id 40euro in it saturday a mystery 150 showed up taking 75e for my loan and leaving me with a balance 117.00 i never used my card yestrday now im 249.79 over drawn what are they playing at like im waiting on fridays wages from 22june to go in and last friday the 29th to go in nothing is showing up on my account Ulster Bank statement!!! im been nice for the past 12days now im going in for answers today and not leaving till they sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Ah well, back to €185 today. I went down to €156 for no reason but back up now.

AT LEAST it shows they were up to something over the weekend and not sitting on their hands waiting for Stephen Hester. :D

Hester is a toothless tiger depending on India's reassurances that things will be fixed. I'd say he has his remaining business experts in Edinburgh in daily rows with them over the phone. I bet the conference calls are becoming increasingly desperate. India doesn't give a monkeys. They'd tell you black was white to save face, and have no idea what the man on the street in Ireland or the UK is going through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I will let you know tomorrow morning, or few days later when i got letters from dd originators...

UB claims it will pay them regardless of account balance, but i have my doubts...
    Will they pay mortgage payment of 1000E just like that? Regardless of balance/account history? I doubt.

I think they will pay them.

I have a commerical account and the balance is frozen in it since 21st June. As a precaution, I notified my main suppliers I was UB, and they said fine. I have thousands going in and out every week, but not according to my bank statement.

I asked my branch how I was fixed and they told me they honestly did not know. They have a record of what I have lodged, but it has not been applied to my account.

They do seem to be honouring debits as they know its their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

Well i can see full statement for last 2 weeks now. Got my 15 euro refund from tesco. Now have 12.44 in account and standing orders that were there yesterday arent anymore

should of said still no fis or wages from last 2 weeks and no childrens allowance for today(sorry obviously up too early thats not due till tomorrow)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

My account is missing a salary payment from a BOI account on the 22nd, a payment from UB on the 28th but now shows an AIB transfer from last Friday! Small progress I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Monday July 2nd Online banking.

Lodgement for the 20th June has appeared and cheque in it cleared over this weekend.

DD's taken out 21st June.

Then, nothing. Zilch, Not a Sausage.

MMMMMMM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

What is goin on ? Sat a magic 90 euro appears in account for no reason i can think of. today im overdrawn by 270 euro??? I did a small test i transferd €1.70 FROM O/H old aib account to ulster bank acc on friday and it appeared this morning in ulster bank 2nd july chaps 1.70. So why did that go through but my wages and o/h for last 2 weeks didnt?? Goin to florida this day next week and not happy bout this goin get my holiday pay diverted into old aib account!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭banjacksed

It's a bunch of lies were being told from ulster bank.
    First and foremost a "software patch" would never be applied to a system on a wednesday and certainly not with a banks system, But on a friday so if the **** hits the fan they have over the weekend to fix it.

It's unbelievable to think that the system in use was originaly written for aerlingus !!! and sold out to other business over the years 1979.

Without doubt the system was "hacked" can have many meanings.
    Either that or it was sabotage, either way that they have no backup is not acceptable in this day and age that we live in.
    I even backup my computer from time to time and thats not worth cash only some bits and pieces.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Littlegirllost

Huggles wrote: »

I have the same problem, wondering what will happen now too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

vickers209 wrote: »
    What is goin on ? Sat a magic 90 euro appears in account for no reason i can think of. today im overdrawn by 270 euro??? I did a small test i transferd €1.70 FROM O/H old aib account to ulster bank acc on friday and it appeared this morning in ulster bank 2nd july chaps 1.70. So why did that go through but my wages and o/h for last 2 weeks didnt?? Goin to florida this day next week and not happy bout this goin get my holiday pay diverted into old aib account!!!

Mine showed up as a chaps payment too. I'm guessing here but I know usual AIB to BOI payments are unlikely to be done via chaps, rather BACS would be standard. It could be that the Chaps system is not affected but BACS is. Would explain why they can't process historic but the new ones are going through

Idle speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Lambo28

Its ridiculous at this stage. My husbands wages were due in on the 22nd of June and still no sign of them.

I thought it was supposed to be back and running today.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Can I ask for some advice here..

My wages from the 21st hasn't hit my account. My standing order to the PTSB joint bills account with my wife left my UB account on Wednesday last.
    According to PTSB, that money has not arrived in my bills account.

The mortgage is due at the end of the week to be paid from that bills account to the PTSB mortgage account.

Should I get the full cash amount of my wages from the UB branch and ignore the Standing order that is floating around in e-payment land?

Or should I ask the PTSB to extend the overdraft on the bills account and just wait for the SO's to land?

Quick get it out and have a good spend, ;) you deserve it

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Is there a possibility this could bring down Ulster bank? I mean, send them the way of Anglo.

I gave out 5 cheques around the 20 - 25th last month and they havent hit my aib account yet, the company that were given them are using ulster bank

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

I can now see 12.70 charge applied to my account, and no sign of DD taken,too. There is another duplicated transaction of 17.40(pos i think), and new debit for 6euro also showed up - but, guess what, no sign of my wage yet, and the SO of 50 euro still didn't arrive in my savings.

Anyone else noticed penalty charges on their account???

As of this morning I have 2 penalty charges 1 for a S/O and one for a D/D. It also appears neither have been paid!

jayteecork wrote: »
    Is there a possibility this could bring down Ulster bank? I mean, send them the way of Anglo.

it wouldnt surprise me just out of interest does the ulster bank have a state guarantee? like the aib and boi

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Littlegirllost

banjacksed wrote: »

Quick get it out and have a good spend, ;) you deserve it

Don't be giving me ideas ;)

• Advertisement

Don't be giving me ideas ;)

a little holiday in the sun maybe,,,,,hahahahhahahha:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement