Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

With Ulster Bank you can apply for a Current Account online.

How does this work? Don't banks need proof of name and address and all that before you can get an account?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

With Ulster Bank you can apply for a Current Account online.

How does this work? Don't banks need proof of name and address and all that before you can get an account?

They do, you will need to sent a copy of id, utilities bill etc to them. Its the same with all banks that offer to open an account online

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Davy wrote: »
    They do, you will need to sent a copy of id, utilities bill etc to them. Its the same with all banks that offer to open an account online
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Applying online essently just fills out the forms you would fill out if you did in branch. If you do it online, they send you out the forms with all your details, you sign and include ID/Proof of addresss.

Thanks for the replies. Would I need to just send copies? Would a standard scanned image do or would they need to be signed by a garda?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Fairly sure its just a photocopy, well thats what i did anyway.

I dont think so, i think it needs to be an original document, which they then send back after. The Id would be a photocopy, but would need to be signed i imagine

I just rang Ulster Bank and asked them when would they start issuing Visa Debit cards, and the woman said it would be a few months - November at the earliest. She also said it would be issued first to those that already have Laser cards. She said it might be as late as 2010 before the changeover is complete.

• Advertisement

Would have taught it would be quicker than that.

Davy wrote: »
    Would have taught it would be quicker than that.

Me too - I was getting my hopes up! But she didn't sound all that positive - it might be sooner if we're lucky!

Wonder could we get more concrete info to confirm

Sorry to stray slightly off-topic, but I might just go ahead and create an Ulster Bank account now anyway (my debit card can always be damaged and need replacing by the time Visa Debit rolls in :p).

Do Ulster Bank issue Laser (or Laser/Maestro combo) cards or Maestro-only cards?
    According to their website, "Pay for goods and services - your debit card makes shopping easy wherever you see the Maestro or Cirrus symbols." If they used Laser, wouldn't they say Laser symbol, as it's accepted everywhere in the Republic?

If someone could clarify, that would be great - I don't really want another Maestro only card - Postbank has that and it's useless - most shops don't accept Maestro in Ireland and even in the ones that do, the staff insist that they don't (Lidl and Tesco - I'm looking at you).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They currently issue Laser/Maestro like all the banks (apart from Halifax and Postbank)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 natweststaff

I have had to ask for cashback with my Laser card sometimes and other times the shop offers it. Does anyone out there know why this happens. What's in it for the shop owner? and what about those shops with ATMs on the premises? I am going to ask my mate in Ulster Bank and if I hear anything I will post it here.

Just to let you know the uslter bank visa debit cards went live yesterday 14/09/09.

So any lost, stolen or replacement cards will now be a visa debit card. :p

Just to let you know the uslter bank visa debit cards went live yesterday 14/09/09.

So any lost, stolen or replacement cards will now be a visa debit card. :p

Wow, I rang them yesterday and they said it would not be available for a while! Great to hear that they are in use now.

If I apply for a new account now, will I get a Visa Debit card or a Laser/Maestro card (as in will they only issue Visa Debit cards to people looking for replacements)?

Wow, I rang them yesterday and they said it would not be available for a while! Great to hear that they are in use now.

If I apply for a new account now, will I get a Visa Debit card or a Laser/Maestro card (as in will they only issue Visa Debit cards to people looking for replacements)?

It defo went live yesterday so if you order a new card now itll be visa debit.

That will apply to anyone opening a new account also.

If you have a Laser card do you just ring them up and ask to replace the card with a Visa Debit?

Yeah just ring them up and say your cards damaged or something.

ROI link here :)

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/card/your-card.ashx

Looks good (though someone should have proof read the page before launch!) :p

All Ulster Bank ServiceCards, CashPlus cards and CashCards will change between 14th September 2009 and December 2010. The Laser, Maestro and Cirrus brands will be replaced with Visa Debit and Visa Plus brands. Customers will receive their new cards as follows:
    1. All new and replacement cards (including lost and stolen) - from 14th September 2009 onwards.
    2. Cards due to expire before December 2010 will be replaced 2 - 6 weeks before the card is due to expire.
    3. Cards due to expire after December 2010 will be replaced in a rolling programme from November 2009 to December 2010.
    Customers falling into groups 2) and 3) above will be notified before their cards are despatched.
    You can order your new Visa Debit card now, just call into your local branch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Redmen Rule OK

I checked with my mate at the Bank. You don't even have to let on your Laser card is damaged just tell them you want a replacement for your Laser card and a Visa debit card will be sent to you. Heard too that Lidl will start taking Visa debit cards in October but I think maybe it will come to the bigger shops first.:)

Heard too that Lidl will start taking Visa debit cards in October but I think maybe it will come to the bigger shops first

Most of the bigger shops should be able to take them already. Anywhere that can accept Visa credit card can accept Visa Debit.

Sorry for the ambiguity on my last message. I meant that the bigger Lidl shops would begin taking Visa debit at the start of October followed by smaller Lidl shops :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 amverse

I greeted the news that Ulster Bank was switching to Visa Debit cards with delight as at least one of the "Big Four" Banks is moving into the 21st century, my question is; do Aib have any plans to introduce Visa Debit? Is this a likely move? If it isn't then I would be tempted to leave them for Ulster Bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

A move away from Laser by AIB is very unlikely.

Both Halifax and Ulster Bank offer Visa debit cards. Halifax give a better rate of return on their current account so I suggest that you switch to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Stupid stupid me. Rang Ulster Bank and ordered an ATM card, then checked the website and realized they have an ATM card which is not Visa. Grrr. I hate when I do stupid things.

Cant exactly cancel it as soon as I get it, and order a debit card. But perhaps it is a sign that I should use Halifax exclusively.

turgon wrote: »
    Stupid stupid me. Rang Ulster Bank and ordered an ATM card, then checked the website and realized they have an ATM card which is not Visa. Grrr. I hate when I do stupid things.

Cant exactly cancel it as soon as I get it, and order a debit card. But perhaps it is a sign that I should use Halifax exclusively.

If you have a current account you might still get a debit card. Check out the number below. If you explain what a prat you are, they might take pity on you and send you a debit card. The website says this number is available 9 - 5.

Freephone 1800 303 004

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 amverse

I was just looking at the ulster bank website and they now say that they offer a service card (cheque garuntee, debit and ATM) or an ATM card? Does this mean you can't get the visa debit that works at pos and atm anymore? they had that up before this?? The reason I'm asking is becuase you must be over 18 to get the service card and I'm not so will I just get an ATM card now/

amverse wrote: »
    I was just looking at the ulster bank website and they now say that they offer a service card (cheque garuntee, debit and ATM) or an ATM card? Does this mean you can't get the visa debit that works at pos and atm anymore? they had that up before this?? The reason I'm asking is becuase you must be over 18 to get the service card and I'm not so will I just get an ATM card now/

They have an account for U18s called Adapt and offer a card to use in shops and ATMs. Can't get into the website for the Rep of Ireland but the NI site shows the card - I think the RoI one is the same :).

DebitCARD

cards_debitcard_ni.gif The DebitCARD enables you to;
    • Pay for goods and services at home, abroad and online.
    • Withdraw cash at ATMs at home and abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 d2carazy

i ordered mine on friday, i just went in and asked for it and they will send it out within a week

Received my Visa Debit card today! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Amazon.com and Play.com have both rejected by new Ulster Bank Visa Debit. Never had a problem with my Halifax one so Im surprised.

• Advertisement

turgon wrote: »
    Amazon.com and Play.com have both rejected by new Ulster Bank Visa Debit. Never had a problem with my Halifax one so Im surprised.

Any idea what's happening? Did it give you an error during checkout?

Advertisement