Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

when you say someone will not take it have they tried to run them through?

As i have stated in other post you MUST get onto your branch and report the problem. Detail exactly where rejected it and why.

Its the only way for the bank to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hi all,

Same problem as most of you, so far only play.com and paypal not accepting my card. Being on to UB 3 times and Paypal the same, blamed each other, at the end of the day though I think it's the retailers fault as I've used it for the following so far, tescos, dunnes, supervalu, dominos pizza website, itunes, vodafone, the book depository (English website) and few others online and shops without problems. You would think with the recession that they would be grabbing at anything to get business! I mean those 3v cards are accepted everywhere.

Technocentral

Ok,

There are 2 types of the Visa Debit card. That explains the 2 different types of card nubers.

There is the,

Debit Visa, Service Card. This is a direct replacement of the old Serive Card that contained the Lazer function. This is the one that should work on paypal and is not normally avalible to all customers. Most of time the account has to a a credit turnover ie wages etc to get. Best to call you bank and ask if your account is able to have this card. Step account holders can not get this card, you'll need to upgrade to a Curennt Account.

Debit Visa, Debit Card, is a standard ATM card and this so far does appear to be causing the issues.

The type of card is stated on the card. I hope this helps and so far thats what I've been told is causing the issue. I hope there right!!!!

Ok,

There are 2 types of the Visa Debit card. That explains the 2 different types of card nubers.

There is the,

Debit Visa, Service Card. This is a direct replacement of the old Serive Card that contained the Lazer function. This is the one that should work on paypal and is not normally avalible to all customers. Most of time the account has to a a credit turnover ie wages etc to get. Best to call you bank and ask if your account is able to have this card. Step account holders can not get this card, you'll need to upgrade to a Curennt Account.

Debit Visa, Debit Card, is a standard ATM card and this so far does appear to be causing the issues.

The type of card is stated on the card. I hope this helps and so far thats what I've been told is causing the issue. I hope there right!!!!

Brilliant, I just went in last Tuesday and ordered the Debit card as a replacement for my standard ATM card. So I'm fcuked? Great to know I'll be paying an extra government charge for fcuk all :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Brilliant, I just went in last Tuesday and ordered the Debit card as a replacement for my standard ATM card. So I'm fcuked? Great to know I'll be paying an extra government charge for fcuk all :mad:

If you dont use the card, you dont pay the duty. Cancel or cut it, then change to the other account and order the right card

• Advertisement

lol :D sorry! I was in a bad mood earlier! How much is the duty anyway...€5? It used to be, with Halifax anyway, €2.50 if you use it as an ATM card and €2.50 if you use it as a debit card. I think that's gone now and it's €5 no matter what...is that right? Hopefully UB will get the kinks ironed out and it will work with PayPal/eBay soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

Ok,

There is the,

I have the Service Card and it won't work on Paypal!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

lol :D sorry! I was in a bad mood earlier! How much is the duty anyway...€5? It used to be, with Halifax anyway, €2.50 if you use it as an ATM card and €2.50 if you use it as a debit card. I think that's gone now and it's €5 no matter what...is that right?

Ye, combined cards are €5 automatically.

I also have the visa debit service card this doesnt work on paypal either.

Hi all

I found a temporary solution if you want to use UB debit to fund your paypal transactions.I signed up to entropay.com for its virtual visa, never heard of it before but just seen it on another thread here. I signed up using my UB debit card which it accepted no problem. I loaded the virtual visa (no physical card is given, they give you a card number, exp. date etc so write it down) with 30 euro (they charged me 1.48 for the transaction so) and have just linked and conformed it on paypal as a visa card. Its not ideal because entropay charge you a transaction fee but its alright until paypal get their bloody act together. In the mean time if anyone has news about the UB card being accepted on PP please post.

Technocentral

• Advertisement

Is there anyone who got the new debit card and it does work on PayPal?

I'd say if one worked they all would, wouldn't make any sense otherwise!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Is there anyone who got the new debit card and it does work on PayPal?

Yes. Mine did, although mine is a Debit Card, not a Service card, which seems to be having all the problems.

The reason mine is the Debit Card (which is the exact same as a Service Card only without the cheque garuantee function) is because I signed up not to have a cheque book or overdraft. My card starts with 431931.

I have used it so far with Paypal (and subsequently Ebay), drivingtest.ie, iTunes and entropay and it has worked fine. It has worked everywhere that I have used it in stores (Dunnes, Tesco, etc.). (although I have never asked for cashback, nor have I ever been offered cashback).

Yes. Mine did, although mine is a Debit Card, not a Service card, which seems to be having all the problems.

The reason mine is the Debit Card (which is the exact same as a Service Card only without the cheque garuantee function) is because I signed up not to have a cheque book or overdraft. My card starts with 431931.

I have used it so far with Paypal (and subsequently Ebay), drivingtest.ie, iTunes and entropay and it has worked fine. It has worked everywhere that I have used it in stores (Dunnes, Tesco, etc.). (although I have never asked for cashback, nor have I ever been offered cashback).

That's the one I'll be getting, the not the service card one :) Yesssss! Thanks

I hearby withdraw my help.... UB are ****e :-0

Its defo a paypal issue....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 skintythe1andon

I have found that my ulster bank visa debit also does not work with amazon.co.uk. It works with play.com though. I have not been able to verify it on paypal still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Redmen Rule OK

I have found that my ulster bank visa debit also does not work with amazon.co.uk. It works with play.com though. I have not been able to verify it on paypal still

I asked my Ulster Bank branch about their cards not working on Paypal and they told me that the bank is actively working with Palpal and Visa to sort the problems out. The girl I spoke to said that they had been told to give the debit card team in Head Office if customers reported problems, so that they can contact the shops' processing banks. I guess that until the shops have a lot of people coming in asking to use Visa debit cards, they just don't see it as a priority.

By the way, I hear that Lidl and Aldi have sorted their systems out and that they can now take Visa Debit cards. It will be interesting to see how long it is before they tell their own staff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭WicklowRover

OK.

Obviously, many of us with new Visa debit cards are experiencing problems with Paypal - MY ADVICE IS AS FOLLOWS:

Please, please, please phone PayPal technical support - tell them your ULSTER BANK VISA DEBIT card is NOT been confirmed and linked on PayPal, and they need to sort it out.

The more people that phone them and harrass this inadequate company, the quicker the issue will be resolved.

I phone them every day now, and give them grief. To speed up the problem, say you will sue their asses if it isn't sorted out within, say, a 7 day period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

To speed up the problem, say you will sue their asses if it isn't sorted out within, say, a 7 day period.

Sue them for what exactly?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭WicklowRover

Incompetence!!!

• Advertisement

Can I ask how long people had to wait to get their card? I went into a branch last Tuesday and "ordered" it. She told me 10 working days. Might I get it earlier? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Hi all

I found a temporary solution if you want to use UB debit to fund your paypal transactions.I signed up to entropay.com for its virtual visa, never heard of it before but just seen it on another thread here. I signed up using my UB debit card which it accepted no problem. I loaded the virtual visa (no physical card is given, they give you a card number, exp. date etc so write it down) with 30 euro (they charged me 1.48 for the transaction so) and have just linked and conformed it on paypal as a visa card. Its not ideal because entropay charge you a transaction fee but its alright until paypal get their bloody act together. In the mean time if anyone has news about the UB card being accepted on PP please post.

Technocentral

Had u any problems with this? I'm about iffy about the identification number. whats the need for this?
    Also, I can't add funds to this card from my UB service card. really getting sick of this card now!!!

Can I ask how long people had to wait to get their card? I went into a branch last Tuesday and "ordered" it. She told me 10 working days. Might I get it earlier? Thanks.

Never mind I got it today and it's a Service Card :( (which is strange considering I don't have a cheque book)

I activated it online. I then went to ulsterbanksecure.com and registered it. I then went to PayPal and had no problem adding the card! I'm awaiting my PIN so don't know if I should go ahead and try and "link and confirm" the card with PayPal.

Will my old card still work in ATMs now that I've activated the new card but am still without a PIN?

Thanks.

Never mind I got it today and it's a Service Card :( (which is strange considering I don't have a cheque book)

I activated it online. I then went to ulsterbanksecure.com and registered it. I then went to PayPal and had no problem adding the card! I'm awaiting my PIN so don't know if I should go ahead and try and "link and confirm" the card with PayPal.

Will my old card still work in ATMs now that I've activated the new card but am still without a PIN?

Thanks.

Ur old ATM card will still work. My bank told me not to use the new card in ATMs as u'll be charged every time u use it.

There isn't a problem adding the card, the problem is when u link and confirm the card

Macca07 wrote: »
    Ur old ATM card will still work. My bank told me not to use the new card in ATMs as u'll be charged every time u use it.

There isn't a problem adding the card, the problem is when u link and confirm the card

Are you saying that when the PIN arrives and I withdraw money with the new Servicecard from an ATM I'll be charged? :mad:

Are you saying that when the PIN arrives and I withdraw money with the new Servicecard from an ATM I'll be charged? :mad:

Thats what my bank told me anyway. Haven't tried it, seeing as I was never given a PIN for my service card. Have tried ringing the Credit Card number for Ulster Bank so they could send out a PIN, they were useless, said I didn't have an account!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You rang the credit card section about your Visa Debit card? I can't imagine that would end well.

As for being charged - highly unlikely for a debit card, unless you hold an account has charges for each transaction. If you had, you should know that already.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    You rang the credit card section about your Visa Debit card? I can't imagine that would end well.

As for being charged - highly unlikely for a debit card, unless you hold an account has charges for each transaction. If you had, you should know that already.

I rang the number the bank gave me. It was their Credit Card line. The only one listed on the Ulster Bank one at that

They listed 1890812727 as a number to ring for more information when I got my Servicecard today. However I tried it (only once admittedly) and the line went dead.

• Advertisement

Just rang that number again. The girl told me to ring 1890 924 257. I googled and apparently it's the UB credit card hotline! :rolleyes:

I also rang my local branch. The person who answered the phone couldn't grasp the distinction between the Servicecard and the ordinary Debitcard. She also had never heard of PayPal.

Advertisement