Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where ya all headin' to in 2010?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

the baba gonna ski??? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

the baba gonna ski??? lol

The baba is doing well to be going on hols at all- she's only 7 months. The indoctrination starts here so she needs to see the excitement of her Dad and see and feel some snow. Can't wait til she is able to bomb down the slopes too!

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Can't wait til she is able to bomb down the slopes too!

once you put her in ski school its ok...i hate to think how bad the local kids knees are when there 20!!! from personal view snowplow is the most uncomfortable position to be in...the pain it causes to my knees is horrible...and every year I see TONS of little kids on skis flying down blacks with their parents...the parents are great skiers but the kids are in snow plow...that cant be good for their knees!!! then last year I saw a father (German or Austrian) teaching his young son how to ski PROPERLY...how every one learns...he was doing parallel skiing but still snowplow turns...prob one of the best kids i saw who wasn't in ski school!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

once you put her in ski school its ok...i hate to think how bad the local kids knees are when there 20!!! from personal view snowplow is the most uncomfortable position to be in...the pain it causes to my knees is horrible...and every year I see TONS of little kids on skis flying down blacks with their parents...the parents are great skiers but the kids are in snow plow...that cant be good for their knees!!! then last year I saw a father (German or Austrian) teaching his young son how to ski PROPERLY...how every one learns...he was doing parallel skiing but still snowplow turns...prob one of the best kids i saw who wasn't in ski school!!! :D

Who wouldn't put their kids in ski school unless they were an instructor?:eek:
    I've enough to be worrying about taking care of myself without trying to manage teaching her

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Who wouldn't put their kids in ski school unless they were an instructor?:eek:
    I've enough to be worrying about taking care of myself without trying to manage teaching her

good I'm glad...you'd be surprised!!! just watch them when your on the slopes...there EVERYWHERE!!!! they were put on skies and told to go!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Heading to Les Deux Alps on 16th Jan. 12 of us going so far. I'll be away for my birthday again yipeee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

mawk wrote: »
    There is certainly no complaining to be done about livigno.

Arinsal in january myself

I've booked a week there end of Feb. Is it really that good?

Absolutely no experience but from looking for accomm, the people and business owners seem really dead on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

I_luv_2_ski!Wait till you see some of the locals in the Ziller valley.

Witnessed a 6 maybe 7 year old ski the Hari Kari in full GS race turns and then get a lecture of his father about getting his hips more across the ski and down the hill to initiate the turn:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's just not possible for kid to do "proper" turns, they won't have the strength or balance or awareness of their own bodies, and they are very top heavy as well. Wedge, or snow ploughs as you Europeans* call them, is a pretty stable position for them to be in to start off with.

Once they are on snow and having fun what does it matter how they look getting down the hill, that will come later.

Calling them snow ploughs in NZSIA teaching would have been a fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

robinphIs that because most of the Kiwis stem the hell out of their short radius turns? :D:D:D:D

Kids under 5 tend to rely on snoploughs but think you are spot on personally I think the biggest factor is awarness of their own bodies and their mental capacity to process information.

I swear sometimes it is like teaching goldfish to do tricks only more fun :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Soll, Jan 7th :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Only 17 days left to Saalbach! Yippeee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Jan 9th im outta this mofo and heading to the beautiful pristine slopes of Soll.

Ive talked to so many people that are going around this time and apparently its the quiet time after xmas .Ill just let the tour operators think that so i can get more cheap holdiays,got it for 360 which isnt bad.

davmol wrote: »
    Jan 9th im outta this mofo and heading to the beautiful pristine slopes of Soll.

Ive talked to so many people that are going around this time and apparently its the quiet time after xmas .Ill just let the tour operators think that so i can get more cheap holdiays,got it for 360 which isnt bad.

Yeah - it's the cheapest week until March. We always go second week in Jan - great to have something to look forward to after Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭xstarz 2kaii9x

Bulgaria on the 8th of jan for a week of snowboarding!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭La La

I moved to Toronto in September (lucky, I know :p ).

Ontario's not great for hills but knocked around Horseshoe the other day. Going here at the end of Jan though - apparently the backcountry is the best of the west (on the east coast)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

olaola wrote: »
    Only 17 days left to Saalbach! Yippeee :D

Only 56 for me ! I wish i was going now, the slopes look great ! Nice and cold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I'll be in Chamonix this day next week.... :D

Overflow wrote: »
    Only 56 for me ! I wish i was going now, the slopes look great ! Nice and cold!

5 more sleeps! Am quite excited :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

We are in Oberstdorf this day next week :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Serre Chevalier in 5 weeks for me, anyone been there before?

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

was in Alpe d'huez for december and i moved to Morzine last week for the remainder of the season, working for Mountain Mavericks chalet comp - reallly good chalets in a top notch resort at the center of the Portes du Soliel area, loving it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

granty1987 wrote: »
    was in Alpe d'huez for december and i moved to Morzine last week for the remainder of the season, working for Mountain Mavericks chalet comp - reallly good chalets in a top notch resort at the center of the Portes du Soliel area, loving it!

I am heading there in 5 weeks. Can't wait. What's the place like? There are 25 of us in 2 chalets. Are we there yet? Are we there yet? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭I dont know

A group of us are heading to Val Thorens on 9th January. Anyone else going?
    Whats the Après-ski like there? can anyone recommend any good bars?

potsy11 wrote: »
    I am heading there in 5 weeks. Can't wait. What's the place like? There are 25 of us in 2 chalets. Are we there yet? Are we there yet? :D

hey its sweet as over here, the snows really good and the terrain is even better eh! lots of bowls n tree runs everywhere, some ace parks and nice rolling pistes- you're gonna love it!

25 eh? nice one, which chalet group are you guys with? might see ya over here then so

granty1987 wrote: »
    hey its sweet as over here, the snows really good and the terrain is even better eh! lots of bowls n tree runs everywhere, some ace parks and nice rolling pistes- you're gonna love it!

25 eh? nice one, which chalet group are you guys with? might see ya over here then so

We are with Highlife. Not sure of where in the village we are. Dont want to build the trip up too much but most of us cant wait to get going.....You cant beat a ski holiday with 24 of your mates.

i think we are going the first week of mid term. Do you reckon it will be jammers?

We are with Highlife. Not sure of where in the village we are. Dont want to build the trip up too much but most of us cant wait to get going.....You cant beat a ski holiday with 24 of your mates.

i think we are going the first week of mid term. Do you reckon it will be jammers?

ah nice one, Highlife are a solid irish company, good stuff! theyre all really sound there. I think they have 5 chalets in town all close enough to one another. hope you enjoy it!

at a guess im willing to say that it will be busy during midterm, new years was fairly jammers, long queues at the lifts, but if your getting guides, make sure they tell you how to avoid the crowds and still get around, hopefully the snow will still be nice n fluffy - its very good at the moment!

ONE MORE SLEEPIES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Reney

When is the first week of mid-term? There's 10 of us heading to Morzine Feb 27th, is that the same week? sounds like a class spot, can't wait!

Reney wrote: »
    When is the first week of mid-term? There's 10 of us heading to Morzine Feb 27th, is that the same week? sounds like a class spot, can't wait!

first week starts 7th feb and lasts for 4 weeks. The 2 middle weeks will be the busiest.

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Melty

heading to chamonix, france in 3 weeks. anyone been??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 St. Robbie

I went to Lermoos, Austria just after Christmas. Great spot, snow was great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Just back from Zell am See and booked for Muhlbach in March over paddys week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Melty wrote: »
    heading to chamonix, france in 3 weeks. anyone been??

just back from Argentiere today....its a super place. The only problem is that the 4 resorts (flegere/brevent, les houches, grand montets and le tour) are not linked. The ski busses are excellent though and its a cinch to get around.

The grand montets area (specifically the top lift) could be the finest lift accessed off piste terrain in europe. It gets tracked out quite quickly (as do most) but its incredible in deep powder.

Advertisement