Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

Mrsmum wrote: »
    100% disagree with this.
    I think abusers intend very much everything they do.

Depends on the type of abuse and the situation IMO.

My father HATED that he was an alcoholic. HATED that he was a man who was destroying his family. Didnt want to be that man, but the call to booze was stronger than his will. He was full of regret, hated himself, this drove him to drink even more and rain down more chaos.

He had grown up in an abusive home too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Indeed, if you've grown up in a home being the scapegoat your boundaries are already weak to non-existent and you are 100% correct in saying abusers can spot that a mile away.

That presupposes that the abuser knows they are an abuser in the first palace.

Take two young people say 18-22 starting out on an adult type relationship for the first time their framework is their family because they have not had any other life experience.

The abuser who thinks they love the other person is crushed with jealousy and also has self-esteem issues so they put their partner down to make themselves better, they project their own issue on to their partner, they may not realise it is abuse they may feel entitled to put their partner down they may think that sort of behavior is normal in relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Phoenix32

Abusers grew up in an abusive environment, it's how they have learned how to interact themselves. I think to a certain extent they don't even realise their behaviour is abnormal as it is normal to them, but there is realisation on another level I think. The same with people who are abused and who stay, it's generally because they experienced abuse on some level growing up too and it's normal to them to some extent, or like Sardonicat said, they just don't have the boundaries. People repeat patterns in their lives as that is what makes sense to them. Someone who has been abused is far more likely to end up with an abuser as they subconsciously feel that is what they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

mariaalice wrote: »
    That presupposes that the abuser knows they are an abuser in the first palace.

Take two young people say 18-22 starting out on an adult type relationship for the first time their framework is their family because they have not had any other life experience.

The abuser who thinks they love the other person is crushed with jealousy and also has self-esteem issues so they put their partner down to make themselves better, they project their own issue on to their partner, they may not realise it is abuse they may feel entitled to put their partner down they may think that sort of behavior is normal in relationships.

Abusers are often vulnerable themselves, just in a different way. Most abuse is based on insecurity. Its rare you will get a sadist who actually enjoys inflicting pain on another person. Mostly its someone who has terrible fear of losing the person they are with and who thinks that being controlling is the best way to prevent that happening. Possibly they know on some level its not normal but its amazing how we can rationalise this kind of thing to ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Phoenix32

I think it's also important for people being abused to realise that an abuser is not black and white, that no one is 100% abusive 100% of the time. For someone being abused they'll think of their partner and think of the times that are good, when they are kind, when they are remorseful, when they are filled with self-hate and guilt and the abusee will feel ''oh my partner isn't some abusive monster that people describe, they are a lot more complex than that'', and then question whether they are being abused at all. These things aren't black and white and that's why it's not so easy as looking at a checklist online.

• Advertisement

Phoenix32 wrote: »
    I think it's also important for people being abused to realise that an abuser is not black and white, that no one is 100% abusive 100% of the time. For someone being abused they'll think of their partner and think of the times that are good, when they are kind, when they are remorseful, when they are filled with self-hate and guilt and the abusee will feel ''oh my partner isn't some abusive monster that people describe, they are a lot more complex than that'', and then question whether they are being abused at all. These things aren't black and white and that's why it's not so easy as looking at a checklist online.

But a checklist is a start to the realisation that they are being abused or that they are the abuser and also its a pointer on how to get help.

Even well adjusted people are vulnerable. I actually accepted responsibility for my first boyfriend cheating, I was gaslighted into believing that he was all but forced to because I was so busy and hadn't enough time for him and that made him feel unloved etc etc. I was the one who felt guilty, and I've never seen myself as a soft touch or particularly gullible.

I think he believed his excuses, I'm not sure he was ever held responsible for any bad behaviour as a child himself. His parents always found a way to excuse him, according to his sister (who was cast as the scapegoat). Families are complex, even the apparently good ones can damage people, and damaged people damage other people without knowing. The first step is recognising red flags, easier said than done when you've no prior experience of them.

But a checklist is a start to the realisation that they are being abused or that they are the abuser and also its a pointer on how to get help.

Even that isn't fool proof. You mentioned having access to each others social media in an earlier post. Now that can be a sign of abuse but isn't always. It always comes back to context and intent. Having a checklist is very black and white, it doesn't recognise the nuance in relationships.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Even that isn't fool proof. You mentioned having access to each others social media in an earlier post. Now that can be a sign of abuse but isn't always. It always comes back to context and intent. Having a checklist is very black and white, it doesn't recognise the nuance in relationships.

I'd say demanding access as a way of demonstrating trust, or wanting access to email, social media and phone passwords as a matter of course is a red flag.

Obviously having someones phone lock is common enough, but the expectation that there's something up if you refuse to give it is a bad sign. Loads of grey areas around that sort of thing, too many for it to be unqualified as a sign of abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Do individuals not realise or recognise behaviors they are the recipient of in a relationship is abusive, younger people have grown up with a lot of education, access to social media, and access to information for example https://spunout.ie. There is a lot resources explaining what abuse is.

Its not about physical abuse which most people do recognise as abuse.

Have a look at the "boiling frog" theory or syndrome in relation to abuse and neglect.

• Advertisement

Genuinely as well as sex education should young people give education about relationships about relationships which would cover things like abuse and what is abuse and what is not abuse in an intimate relationship.

No. Absolutely not. Abuse isn't a definitive thing that can be taught. One person's abuse is another's relationship. Its very much dependent on the personality and emotional fragility of both parties.

What are you thinking? Relationships should have a set of rules and if you break them, then it's abuse? Bizarre.

hayoc wrote: »
    Why? One hour per week on the school curriculum. You asked how best to get the message across.

Therapy can benefit everyone - even those not suffering emotional abuse.

A massage can also benefit people. Let's do that too.

A checklist is also a way of affirming something that isn't true, much like googling symptoms of an illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Its like magnetic attraction - or how it was explained to me - like doing a dance with someone that knows all the same moves you do.

An abusee meets an abuser and they BOTH feel comfortable and familiar in the dance moves because its how they both learned how to behave at a young age.

Not necessarily. Not all abusers learned to abuse at a young age. They are just deeply manipulative people and abuse different people in different ways. If you've come out of an abusive household your boundaries are very weak and you won't even notice being taken advantage of in a 'fruendship' for example. Some people see kindness, gentleness, generosity etc in others as weaknesses to br taken advantage of. If someone with those traits has been brought up having no idea they have a right to personal boundaries they will find themselves in abusive friendships, romantic relatiobships and the victims of workplace bullying. If people keep telling you that you're too nice for your own good you'd better start listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Not all abusers learned to abuse at a young age. They are just deeply manipulative people and abuse different people in different ways. If you've come out of an abusive household your boundaries are very weak and you won't even notice being taken advantage of in a 'fruendship' for example. Some people see kindness, gentleness, generosity etc in others as weaknesses to br taken advantage of. If someone with those traits has been brought up having no idea they have a right to personal boundaries they will find themselves in abusive friendships, romantic relatiobships and the victims of workplace bullying. If people keep telling you that you're too nice for your own good you'd better start listening.

This is also true. Some abusers were abused, others werent.

Some abusees go on to never be abused again.

There are many variables.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Coercive control is one of the most dangerous and invisible forms of abuse. Yet our criminal justice system has only caught up this in the oast few years. Still a partner can batter another to a pulp while a witness watches and calls the police and yet the gaurds STILL can NOT be able to prosecute unless the victim agrees. In other forward looking first world countries it is the police force that decides to prosecute regardless of whether they have the victims permission.

I know or have known several educTed, articulate, brilliant people who have been beaten into hospital by their charming, educated, professional partners Lets get things straight - the abuser is NOT the victim. They may be damaged, but this does not give them the right to destroy another human beings life.
    Lets stop excusing it and casually making excuses like it dosn’t matter and the cictims don’t count.

Cruel, manipulative, moneygrabbing, violent people who destroy others lives for their selfish gain, power and ego ARE monsters and should also be treated as such. Not soft stroked and made excuses for.

• Site Banned Posts: 41 Laughing with Me

Are you blaming victims of abuse for not realising they are being abused?
    He's just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Because the abuser makes them believe they deserve it.
    Not always.

The victim can have grown up thinking this is the way you talk to people or treat them. The odd slap etc is ok.

The way your father talks about women etc or to your mother in front of you is your template for normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Do individuals not realise or recognise behaviors they are the recipient of in a relationship is abusive, younger people have grown up with a lot of education, access to social media, and access to information for example https://spunout.ie. There is a lot resources explaining what abuse is.

Its not about physical abuse which most people do recognise as abuse.

What are you talking about?

What is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

When you grow up in an abusive home you dont develop a healthy self esteem or an internal locus of evaluation, abuse is normalized, particularly covert abuse which are subtle but very damaging over time, things like enmeshment and the blurring of healthy boundaries in relationships with parents or siblings. Adults that had enmeshed family relationships don't understand healthy boundaries, when they enter into relationships later in life, either platonic or romantic they can engage in behaviours such as sharing each others passwords or controlling one another.

Covert narcissism where a parent or older sibling uses emotional manipulation, guilt trips, tantrums, lying for attention, scapegoating the child and unmining the child's self esteem over years. With a covert narcissist the childs worth is placed in what they can do for the parent, the parent will make inappropriate or unattainable demands of the child and when the child cant meet these demands theyre punished. The parent will disregard the childs emotional needs and well being as they view their own needs more important than the childs
    Punishment can include prolonged silent treatment where the parent wont speak to the child, the child has to win back the parents love and approval, the parent might make up lies about the child to other family members, childs teachers, friends or the childs friends parents, they might say things like the child is very badly behaved or the child is difficult at home. They might punish the child through calling them names and putting them down. The child never knows where they stand with the parent and they dont know what the parent wants them to be, In situations like this the child is constantly trying to please the parent and 'win' their love. From the outside the family may look normal as the child is not physically neglected.
    Theres lots of other types of covert emotional abuse which contribute to the liklines of ending up in abusive romantic and platonic relationships.

Allot of information regarding abusive relationships is geared towards the victim and the signs listed are often the extreme like violence and obvious control. They also massively demonise the abusers, now im not defending abusers but I genuinely think allot of emotionally abusive people don't fully understand that theyre abusive. They likely come from abusive, enmeshed or unhealthy backgrounds and often dont know how to have relationships as they have no awareness of their own behaviours coupled with low self esteem from the abuse - Thats not to defend their behaviour or belittle victims, there are always people who are well aware of what theyre doing but id be inclined to think, similarly to some victims, they can have a lack of understanding of what a healthy relationship looks like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Some people are in a position to get away with abuse.

Look at the cops who abuse minorities.

Look at Jimmy Savall.

Look at rich white parents who send their kids off to god awful boarding schools.

Look at domestic violence.

In Russia they were bringing in a law to make domestic violence ok.

There is a system to protect abusers. And a lot of abuse ...is leave overs from a time when the system was worse.

Some people feel they have the right to abuse and no one pulls them up on it.

A parent who thinks they own their kid. And sometimes the system will help them do it.

When you grow up in an abusive home you dont develop a healthy self esteem or an internal locus of evaluation, abuse is normalized, particularly covert abuse which are subtle but very damaging over time, things like enmeshment and the blurring of healthy boundaries in relationships with parents or siblings. Adults that had enmeshed family relationships don't understand healthy boundaries, when they enter into relationships later in life, either platonic or romantic they can engage in behaviours such as sharing each others passwords or controlling one another.

People who come from abusive homes can also be the victims and some go on to have very healthy relationships.

Everything you say is correct but I'm always wary of profiling too much. Sometimes the most loving of parents can produce an abuser.

People who come from abusive homes can also be the victims and some go on to have very healthy relationships.

Everything you say is correct but I'm always wary of profiling too much. Sometimes the most loving of parents can produce an abuser.

Yes im aware they can be the victims, I thought that point came across in my post.
    Ive not suggested that only people from abusive homes become abusers/victims.

My post was specifically answering the OP's question which was how people can miss signs of abuse in relationships...

That is very true, say it is a young 20-year old that is being abusive in a relationship even if they are not fully aware of how they behave in the relationship is abuse. I would bet in the vast majority of cases their parents if they knew would be shocked and upset that their child was behaving like that.

The abuser can abuse in one relationship and not in another and this maybe down to the fact that they were unhappy in the relationship and might have even grown to dislike the other person but they can't brake it off with them so the whole relationship becomes abuse, that is not an excuse its just a fact. They may never behave like that in another relationship.

There might be immaturity and lack of insight in to themself that only comes with age.

That is very true, say it is a young 20-year old that is being abusive in a relationship even if they are not fully aware of how they behave in the relationship is abuse. I would bet in the vast majority of cases their parents if they knew would be shocked and upset that their child was behaving like that.

The abuser can abuse in one relationship and not in another and this maybe down to the fact that they were unhappy in the relationship and might have even grown to dislike the other person but they can't brake it off with them so the whole relationship becomes abuse, that is not an excuse its just a fact. They may never behave like that in another relationship.

There might be immaturity and lack of insight in to themself that only comes with age.

Regardless of the reason theyre abusing, it doesnt change the fact that it's still abuse. If they are bored or unhappy with the relationship, that's not an excuse to abuse their partner. They have choices like everyone else and regardless of the reasons for abusing someone theyre still choosing to behave that way.

Sometimes people arent abusive in other relationships but this is why it can be so hard for victims to get help, they see their partner treating others with respect which can inforced the view that the victim is to blame.
    No one is responsible for a persons behaviour only themselves.

I agree that immaturity plays a role in abusive behaviour, particularly among young people but that said, emotional immaturity can also stem from abusive/dysfunctional or unhealthy backgrounds and upbringings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Phoenix32 wrote: »
    They turn everything you accuse them of around and accuse you of it. They project. They tell you you're crazy or they make you feel crazy for being upset or feeling abused in any way. They make you question your own reality and your sanity. They make you believe you are the one at fault. That's not something reading a webpage about abuse can easily undo.

they convince you that their flawed analysis is correct and worse still , they imply that their attempted deconstruction of your charechter is for your own good , its anything but , their agenda is to confuse you , make you doubt your self on every level , make you embark on a journey of self reflection despite it being entirely uneccessery and based on utterly false amateur uninvited psychoanalysis

they are guilty of violently harming your soul

death is too good for people who do that

Why? One hour per week on the school curriculum. You asked how best to get the message across.

Therapy can benefit everyone - even those not suffering emotional abuse.

it can not , thinking deeply is bad for you , far better never to have to

Depends on the type of abuse and the situation IMO.

My father HATED that he was an alcoholic. HATED that he was a man who was destroying his family. Didnt want to be that man, but the call to booze was stronger than his will. He was full of regret, hated himself, this drove him to drink even more and rain down more chaos.

He had grown up in an abusive home too.

thats a form of abuse which stems from weakness , psychological warfare against another person requires strength

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    thats a form of abuse which stems from weakness , psychological warfare against another person requires strength

Psychological warfare against another person requires huge amounts of cowardice.

Also thinking deeply about oneself is important if you want to be self aware and be able to reflect on who you are.

• Advertisement

Psychological warfare against another person requires huge amounts of cowardice.

Also thinking deeply about oneself is important if you want to be self aware and be able to reflect on who you are.

being too self aware and thinking deeply about yourself is a recipe for unhappiness , if you are prompted to do so by someone with a malevolent agenda to harm you , self introspection can do great harm , its like searching for a problem that doesnt even exist

no reason to believe those kind of people are cowards , they are merely evil

Advertisement