Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racing Broadcaster John McCririck Dies

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

He was pretty iconic for horse racing. Rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Poor Booby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

79 is not that great these days as an innings. About average?

Quite a character. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

One of the great characters who'll be missed in the Horse Racing world. Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

A complete bollöcks by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

May he rest in peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Does this mean he was a great guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Any news on Beiber?
    He still kickin' ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

He won’t be missed by many. Booby can now have some peace after so many years of suffering
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6252403/John-McCririck-reveals-hes-NOT-DYING-explains-gaunt-frail-appearance-flu.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

The madcap dies! Racing definitely lost a few casual viewers when that loon retired

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

A complete bollöcks by all accounts.

A nasty piece of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Gael23 wrote: »
    He won’t be missed by many. Booby can now have some peace after so many years of suffering
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6252403/John-McCririck-reveals-hes-NOT-DYING-explains-gaunt-frail-appearance-flu.html
    I don't think that article mentioned his weight and severe bout of flu enough times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Had the pleasure of meeting John McCririck at a charity do once. He was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I don't think that article mentioned his weight and severe bout of flu enough times.

Sounds too like troath cancer to me govern he was a lifelong cigar smoker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,515 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bobblehats wrote: »
    The madcap dies! Racing definitely lost a few casual viewers when that loon retired

he didn't retire from Channel 4 racing. they didnt want him any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

he didn't retire from Channel 4 racing. they didnt want him any more.

Oh yeah I remember now. Fair to say he was never retiring..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Funny at times and a gob****e at times. A relic of the old style bookies, ITV 7 etc.
    Replaced by boring politically correct commentators afraid to make a mistake in case someone gets offended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I don't watch the horses but know who this fella was.
    I didn't follow his career so can someone answer the following:
    Why all the hate - what did he do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Always great on Big Brother's panel show.

And he got this response from Ruby which I always thought showed his true colours re: punters.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Mods, there's a thread in the Horse Racing forum too. Could the threads be stitched together perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Naw. I know him from big brother mostly.

Ruby was right about punters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I heard he died this morning at 10/1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Gael23 wrote: »
    Sounds too like troath cancer to me govern he was a lifelong cigar smoker.

You mean throat cancer.
    Truly awful disease, scary.

He was the voice of horse racing for so many years, accentric dress sense and a character to match...
    Hope the Booby will be alright without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Your Face wrote: »
    I don't watch the horses but know who this fella was.
    I didn't follow his career so can someone answer the following:
    Why all the hate - what did he do?

He didn't do anything, he was just very outspoken and brutally honest at times.

People like that make enemies.

I liked him. We don't see characters like him in the media anymore. Everyone's afraid of causing offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Naw. I know him from big brother mostly.

Ruby was right about punters.

Of course he's right. Its owners/trainers pay his wages9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Edgware wrote: »
    Of course he's right. Its owners/trainers pay his wages9

No punters, no bookies, no horse racing.

It would be like footballers at a club saying they couldn't give a fcuk about the fans, as sure the owners pay their wages.

If a player did say that, they'd be hated and I see no reason to excuse a jockey for saying similar.

Hate that attitude with a passion. Walsh never could wrap his head around the fact that it was in fact the punter who actually paid his wages.

Listening to a bit of a tribute to him on William Hill Radio earlier and one chap was saying how on The Morning Line he had a go at a pundit (they didn't name him) who had tipped a horse on air but had actually backed another in the race. When they came back on air he confronted him about it.

Lots to dislike about McCririck, but that's one thing to like about him, he at least tried to see that the punter was in someway represented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I heard he died this morning at 10/1

Technically that'd be the afternoon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I am only really interested in the riding side of racing. No idea really who he was. No idea why people hate him though.

It's like footballers who couldn't give a fcuk about the fans of a club, saying well the owners pay their wages.

Hate that attitude with a passion.

That is 100% NOT true.

No other horse sport has punters.

And they have FAR more prestige and riders get paid far more on average.

Showjumping. Dressage . Cross country. Eventing. Polo.

Barrel Racing.

A professional polo player will make from between 5 million and 10 million a year.

High end showjumpers will earn around one million. (They have to win it though) The low end showjumper will earn 10 k. That's minus expenses. Most will be in the middle though at about 500,000

Horse racing would of course survive without punters. Every other horse sport has.

And if you are a punter etc are you a fan of horses really? I have heard punters speak very disrespectfully about the skill of jockeys and their horsemanship etc. And disregarding the dignity of horses etc. Not all but some.

They are gambling fans. That isn't to say you can't be both. But not all punters are fans of horse racing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

It's like footballers who couldn't give a fcuk about the fans of a club, saying well the owners pay their wages.

Hate that attitude with a passion.
    It's not a legitimate sport if it's relying on gambling to survive.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    It's not a legitimate sport if it's relying on gambling to survive.
    It doesn't.

So many equine sports are in the Olympics etc.

If horse racing got a world championships etc and tried to get into the Olympics it would help.

He was a brilliant showman. That was his talent and intelligence. He didn't need to be anything else. People could learn from that. It wasn't his controversy that made him famous that eventually sidelined his career but it was his showmanship. It's a talent the British have in spades.

It doesn't.
    McCririck should have pissed off and left Ruby Walsh alone then.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    McCririck should have pissed off and left Ruby Walsh alone then.

True. Not sure why he started the fight in the first place tbh. He seemed intent on causing a fight.

Some people have said he was anti Irish though and said rude things.

Love the racing. Nothing like heading over to Cheltenham for 4 days of drinking and gambling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

SeaFields wrote: »
    Technically that'd be the afternoon...

Not if it was 0050 on the old 24 hour clock

True. Not sure why he started the fight in the first place tbh. He seemed intent on causing a fight.

Some people have said he was anti Irish though and said rude things.
    Stupid people love getting offended if athletes insinuate anything other than blind fawning towards the fans. Look at how people responded to Roy Keane in 2012 or how people are responding to Walsh's comments in this thread. McCririck knew this and he played the thickos in the crowd perfectly. True sportsmen only care about two things: winning and preserving their livelihoods. All this "what about the fans" stuff is mawkish nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zuxa gif iwo

Horse racing would of course survive without punters. Every other horse sport has..

it never would, how many would pay in to cheltenham or fairyhouse just to watch a few horses run a lap or two of the circuit without the betting aspect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Not if it was 0050 on the old 24 hour clock

Hat tip to you sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

That is 100% NOT true.

No other horse sport has punters.

And they have FAR more prestige and riders get paid far more on average.

Showjumping. Dressage . Cross country. Eventing. Polo.

Barrel Racing.

A professional polo player will make from between 5 million and 10 million a year.

High end showjumpers will earn around one million. (They have to win it though) The low end showjumper will earn 10 k. That's minus expenses. Most will be in the middle though at about 500,000

Horse racing would of course survive without punters. Every other horse sport has.

And if you are a punter etc are you a fan of horses really? I have heard punters speak very disrespectfully about the skill of jockeys and their horsemanship etc. And disregarding the dignity of horses etc. Not all but some.

They are gambling fans. That isn't to say you can't be both. But not all punters are fans of horse racing.

They banned gambling on horse racing in America in the early 20th century and it had to be reintroduced because the sport died once they took away the gambling.Some racing fans like to think that the sport would thrive without gambling but it wouldn't it would die fairly quickly if people couldn't bet on it.

• Advertisement

it never would, how many would pay in to cheltenham or fairyhouse just to watch a few horses run a lap or two of the circuit without the betting aspect?

It doesn't need people to pay in.

Equine companies sponsor the prize money for events etc.

You see longines longines longines EVERYWHERE at these places and that's a swiss watch company.

Polo players get between 5 million and 10 million a year if they turn pro and are decent.

You don't get many people watching polo or showjumping either.

Equine companies sponsor it because away from the sport horses need pretty much the same care. Its a way to introduce the equine world across all sports to their products.

And lastly why wouldn't people pay in??

Ever see the palio?

Its huge ..its also community based and the contrada help support it

They don't allow betting. https://www.italymagazine.com/italy/tuscany/siena-fends-palio-betting-bid

People go MAD for it.

The Irish races on the beach etc like laytown could be put against each other the best jockey/horse from each. No betting. But town pride etc.

People would love it!

The Palio is free in.

The Palio is free in.

Still HUGE.

They have other similar races too throughout the year.

Its kind of like the GAA ....cept better cuz horses :D

Anyway in countries where gambling is banned they still have horseracing.

Anyway if you are a true fan of it you would go without betting. If not then you are a gambler and nothing wrong with that at all but just making a distinction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

He reeeeallly didn't like 'Sutcliffe:The Musical'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭flos1964

He was a brilliant showman. That was his talent and intelligence. He didn't need to be anything else. People could learn from that. It wasn't his controversy that made him famous that eventually sidelined his career but it was his showmanship. It's a talent the British have in spades.

Even though you had no idea really who he was...your words.

flos1964 wrote: »
    Even though you had no idea really who he was...your words.

I could tell that at a glance though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Make no mistake, McCririck knew the racing game but conversely that made his outbursts all the more empty. Racing is in the pocket of the bookmaking industry and there's no sign of that changing anytime soon. His rants on behalf of the punters was nothing more than empty rhetoric.

Aidric wrote: »
    Make no mistake, McCririck knew the racing game but conversely that made his outbursts all the more empty. Racing is in the pocket of the bookmaking industry and there's no sign of that changing anytime soon. His rants on behalf of the punters was nothing more than empty rhetoric.

Yes I understand. TBH he probably didn't even represent punters well. I don't think they are as presented.

I think there should be a part of the racing industry you can't bet on though. I would like to see what would happen etc.

Its the bookies who make the punting money off of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Love the racing. Nothing like heading over to Cheltenham for 4 days of drinking and gambling.

What about the ‘phillys’.....are race meats a very fertile ground for sophisticated ladies with beautiful head gear etc almost matching John mcquirrick ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement