Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heatwave for end of July?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    :confused:ok , if ya say so! Well have to agree to disagree!

Did you get a storm or not last night?[/QUOTE]
    silence say's it all Beasterly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

owenc wrote: »
    Naw its shut and if it was open it would be more like -20c.

I prefer my milk as a liquid . . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I prefer my milk as a liquid . . .

I don't i hate milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Can I just go back to OP... heatwave yes/No??even jut a glimmer of a few rain free hot days to stop the kids killing each other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I don't i hate milk.

If the fridge is below 0 everything in it will be frozen . .. it was a joke . .. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Can I just go back to OP... heatwave yes/No??even jut a glimmer of a few rain free hot days to stop the kids killing each other?

The kids are going to kill each other im afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I don't i hate milk.

i_ain%27t_drinking_no_milk150x150.gif

Back on topic and

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

[/QUOTE]
    silence say's it all Beasterly ;)[/QUOTE]

Just what I tought! Tought I'd make him say it though. I was slightly annoyed my the adimence earlier in the day;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

An improvement in still on the cards for next weekend with the Azores high pressure building north. the GFS outlook suggests it'll stick around but its too far out to make any promises.

pauldry wrote: »
    The kids are going to kill each other im afraid

Just what I thought & 1 now has the flu from playing out in the downpour the other night Meh !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

It's been seriously hot here in Finland for 10 days now, up to 33 degrees. Hope some of it heads your way soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

look at met eireann's forecast for the next 6 days or so, its very grim reading, it will be possibly more unsettled than the week just gone.

Earlier this evening the Jean Genie spoke of a hint of high pressure showing its ankle for us next weekend.

The weekly farmers forcast with the man they call the Eagle backs up the building high pressure thought I posted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

mike65 wrote: »
    Earlier this evening the Jean Genie spoke of a hint of high pressure showing its ankle for us next weekend.

For the love of God I really hope so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

The BBC1 lunchtime forecast today also showed this for Friday.

Bring it on .. Was outdoing garden 23C & a torrential downpor that was hot.. Very ,muggy today ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

John Eagleton seemed enthusiastic about it warming up and drying out to some extent towards the end of the coming week there on the six-one forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

hopefully:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Published at 10:00, 19 July
    (Next update at 10:00, 26 July)
    Written by Rob McElwee

Summary

A dodgy start but summer is again visible

This first week of the four will produce rain a-plenty, some thunder, Met Office warnings and limited area hotness. For the following three weeks, pressure should build and the sun is still strong so warm, dry weather looks likely.
    Monday 19 July 2010 to Sunday 25 July 2010
    Diagonal division

With a rain-bearing front straddling the UK through Wales and northern England, the week starts with Met Office warnings of heavy rain.
    Summer heat will build in England, south of this rain band to give temperatures in the high 20s in for example London and Cambridge.
    From Tuesday to Thursday, a flabby low pressure area will allow warm sunshine between slow-moving heavy showers. The real heat in eastern England will be swept away in a flurry of thunderstorms late Tuesday.
    Highland Scotland has something of an exception with a significant northerly wind, rain and temperatures in the mid-teens at best.
    Then to end the week, pressure starts to build, the northerly is cut off and the sun can be bolder.

Monday 26 July 2010 to Sunday 1 August 2010
    A tenuous ridge of high pressure

An extension of the Azores high keeps the south of the UK dry and warm by day with reasonable sunshine. Model indications are that pressure will be low in the north of the UK. What isn't obvious is whether this will be significant in terms of wind. As far as temperature, sunshine and rain are concerned, the prognosis is - all average!

Monday 2 August 2010 to Sunday 15 August 2010
    Looks like a continuation

Maybe unexpectedly, given what's happened so far this year, but with low confidence, settled, sunny and increasingly warm weather inhabits the south of the UK. Spells of rain still seem likely in the north. "The north" for these purposes is probably only Highland Scotland.

Next week

We would by this time be overdue for an Atlantic episode of rain, but there is no reason to think that'll happen...
    Published at 10:00, 19 July
    (Next update at 10:00, 26 July)
    Written by Rob McElwee

Summary

A dodgy start but summer is again visible

This first week of the four will produce rain a-plenty, some thunder, Met Office warnings and limited area hotness. For the following three weeks, pressure should build and the sun is still strong so warm, dry weather looks likely.
    Monday 19 July 2010 to Sunday 25 July 2010
    Diagonal division

With a rain-bearing front straddling the UK through Wales and northern England, the week starts with Met Office warnings of heavy rain.
    Summer heat will build in England, south of this rain band to give temperatures in the high 20s in for example London and Cambridge.
    From Tuesday to Thursday, a flabby low pressure area will allow warm sunshine between slow-moving heavy showers. The real heat in eastern England will be swept away in a flurry of thunderstorms late Tuesday.
    Highland Scotland has something of an exception with a significant northerly wind, rain and temperatures in the mid-teens at best.
    Then to end the week, pressure starts to build, the northerly is cut off and the sun can be bolder.

Monday 26 July 2010 to Sunday 1 August 2010
    A tenuous ridge of high pressure

An extension of the Azores high keeps the south of the UK dry and warm by day with reasonable sunshine. Model indications are that pressure will be low in the north of the UK. What isn't obvious is whether this will be significant in terms of wind. As far as temperature, sunshine and rain are concerned, the prognosis is - all average!

Monday 2 August 2010 to Sunday 15 August 2010
    Looks like a continuation

Maybe unexpectedly, given what's happened so far this year, but with low confidence, settled, sunny and increasingly warm weather inhabits the south of the UK. Spells of rain still seem likely in the north. "The north" for these purposes is probably only Highland Scotland.

Next week

We would by this time be overdue for an Atlantic episode of rain, but there is no reason to think that'll happen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Jean Genie spoke of a hint of showing ankle for us next weekend.

i say, steady on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

ciaran67 wrote: »
    i say, steady on!

Speaking for those of us up at the 'thigh' end - we're unlikely to catch even a glimpse, I'm afraid. Dark and hidden from the sun, that's us. Except for those living in Coleraine, of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

We're gonna have to start importing prozac by the tonne if the sun doesnt shine on us soon! It so depressing stuck inside watching big bloody brother with my daughter and there they are sittin out in the sun and they not that flippin far from us. :(:confused:

alanajane wrote: »
    We're gonna have to start importing prozac by the tonne if the sun doesnt shine on us soon! It so depressing stuck inside watching big bloody brother with my daughter and there they are sittin out in the sun and they not that flippin far from us. :(:confused:

Im past the Prosac !!

But .. I did lose the plot earlier. Sick of looking at clothes drying every where so snatched the monster parasol decided wont be needing shelter from the sun this year. Grabbed the roll of masking tape. Wrapped it to the clothes line & its now a big umbrella to the clothes. 4 loads dry = 1 happy mammy !!! Sun on top of this will now be just a bonus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Forecast after RTE 9 o clock news hinted at dryness after weds and warmth from the weekend on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Certainly the floody rains of the first half of July was just a monsoon and I think it will be relatively quiet for much of the rest of July and some of August too. With regards to sun it will be hit and miss and there will be an odd day with more sun than others. Here in Sligo it was cloudy and muggy today with some sunny spells and one shower. I think it will be that type of weather we will get. Thats not too bad. Muggyness will make sea warm for swimming. There are low pressures in the period of the next few weeks that run to our North hope this pattern stays. It is interesting to note how cautious everyone is being about the "ankle" because of all the times in the last 3 Summers when we were promised a decent spell that never came. Well despite the wet July this Summer is nothing on 2007, 2008 or 2009 in terms of rain and wont be when the figures are added up at the end. So of that we can be thankful. - though July is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Im past the Prosac !!

But .. I did lose the plot earlier. Sick of looking at clothes drying every where so snatched the monster parasol decided wont be needing shelter from the sun this year. Grabbed the roll of masking tape. Wrapped it to the clothes line & its now a big umbrella to the clothes. 4 loads dry = 1 happy mammy !!! Sun on top of this will now be just a bonus

Necessity is the mammy of invention :D Other half has just started painting the house between showers - it needed doing last year, but there was no 'between showers'' here. I need a giant one of those parasols.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Any signs of retrogression (westward motion of large-scale features) and yes, there could be a heat wave, the 18z GFS run has warmth of almost heat wave proportions depicted for many days after the current rainy spell ends around Thursday. Some of these days would be close to 27 C (if the model is anywhere near right), and the average through the period looks to be 22-23 C. There is even some hint of southeast flow developing at times, but the first stages of this warmup look more like a relaxation in the Atlantic flow to something more of an Azores extension, with the deep low pressure (especially at upper levels) out of the equation. That's what the models are picking up -- but as we know, persistence sometimes rears its ugly head and throws in "one more" Atlantic system about every time there could be one.

I think the chances are about 2:1 in favour of a warmer, drier spell developing soon. As for a real heat wave, that's more like an even proposition.

Eastern North America is having its warmest July in many years, and so is most of Europe east of the North Sea coast. Retrogression might shift that warm ridge further west and allow the heat to build up more in France, then drift across to the UK and Ireland. However, even if there's little motion east-west, the chances seem good that the flow will lift a bit coming off eastern Canada, and allow the jet stream to clear Malin Head and aim more for the Faeroes and Norway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I don't care too much for the heat, so I hope we don't have a heat wave, but I would welcome some dry fresh weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

So is it looking like this weekend and the early stages of next week are going to be rainless, and warm?

Advertisement