Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I’ve often been sharply critical of Netflix’s film output - they’ve put out so much absolute junk that it overshadows the good stuff they’ve done. But having seen the superb double whammy of Marriage Story and Uncut Gems (a borderline case, mind, as they’re just distributing it here) in the past few days and have a Breaking Bad movie, a new Sion Sono film and the Irishman to look forward to over the weekend... they’re on a bit of a roll tbh.

Do you not think some of these films should be released theatrically first?

I think premiering a film on Netflix cheapens the work. The higher the quality, the more annoyed I get.

When it comes to Netflix movies, I want the quality to a be throwaway "B movie" standard, kind of like The Cloverfield Paradox, or a follow up TV movie, a la Breaking bad. But not something like a Scorsese vehicle. These should be event movies, and not premiered on a format where someone can watch on a phone while on their morning commute to work.

Its kind of ironic when you look at Scorseses "That's not cinema” Marvel comment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

kerplun k wrote: »
    Do you not think some of these films should be released theatrically first?

Most of them are :) Marriage Story, Uncut Gems and The Irishman - not to mention a bunch of others over the next few months - are getting theatrical releases before they show up on Netflix. And I’d have been the first to slam Netflix for their previous reluctance to show anything in the cinema. Quite a bit of progress over the past year.

Most of them are :) Marriage Story, Uncut Gems and The Irishman - not to mention a bunch of others over the next few months - are getting theatrical releases before they show up on Netflix. And I’d have been the first to slam Netflix for their previous reluctance to show anything in the cinema. Quite a bit of progress over the past year.

But is it not a limited release? also, the close proximity of the theatrical / netflix debuts, is an issue for me. Obviously I haven't seen The Irishman yet, but looking at the reviews, its up there with Scorseses best work. IMO, its meant to be viewed in packed cinemas across the world. having the release tied to Netflix is anti-cinema. I get that this is the world we live in now, but I'd just prefer if Netflix stuck to event television rather than movies I'm actually interested in giving my time too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

But is it not a limited release? also, the close proximity of the theatrical / netflix debuts, is an issue for me. Obviously I haven't seen The Irishman yet, but looking at the reviews, its up there with Scorseses best work. IMO, its meant to be viewed in packed cinemas across the world. having the release tied to Netflix is anti-cinema. I get that this is the world we live in now, but I'd just prefer if Netflix stuck to event television rather than movies I'm actually interested in giving my time too.

A limited release is better than no release (and it’s not much more limited than many films get anyway), and their current strategy - theatrical releases for most of their major titles - is a big step up, given this time last year they were so farcically reluctant to show Roma on the big screen. Plus, there are definite benefits to making films more accessible to more viewers quicker - I mean, it’s pretty great Marriage Story will be available to so many people who wouldn’t ever be arsed going to the cinema to see it. Not to mention Netflix is funding these films in a way that’s pretty generous by modern standards - it’s not much of a stretch to say Scorsese couldn’t have made the Irishman with such a massive budget under the traditional system. The Irishman, just to add, is getting a big ‘event’ premiere across dozens of UK and Irish cinemas on Sunday - that’s pretty cool!

I’m a cinema evangelist - I see everything I reasonably can on the big screen. I’ve always been critical of Netflix’s opposition to that. But they’ve compromised, and while it’s not perfect there are now opportunities to see quite a few Netflix releases on the big screen before they hit the service. Of the five films I mentioned in my first post, I’ll only be watching two on Netflix itself. It’s progress :) And while I certainly appreciate an ‘prestige’ period around cinema releases, the traditional months-long wait between a theatrical release and home one is a relic which could use a shake-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Started watching Secret City - https://www.netflix.com/title/80211136

Australian geopolitical thriller. Really enjoying it so far! Well worth a watch if you liked House of cards type shows.
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/18/17586958/netflix-secret-city-review-technology-political-spy-thriller-anna-torv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I was under the impression no one else was willing to touch the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Why do you care how other people view the movie? It's in the cinema. Go watch it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I was under the impression no one else was willing to touch the project.

This is the thing with Netflix, it's gives it's directors a lot more creative freedom. It why Coens did Buster Scruggs with them, no other studio would let them do it. Endgame is around three hours but it had 20+ films leading up to it so it had built in interest. Netflix doesn't have.to worry about box office or what they think the audience wants. No studio nowadays would greenlight a three hour mob movie, scorcese doesn't have the box office pull to warrant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I am blitzing Elite. I love it.
    I'm a sucker for a high school drama but the high wealth setting sucks me in a bit more.
    Season one is a whodunnit murder story but it explores so many more topics in fantastic ways .

I've only two episodes left of season 2 so I'll need something to fill the gap soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I’ve often been sharply critical of Netflix’s film output - they’ve put out so much absolute junk that it overshadows the good stuff they’ve done. But having seen the superb double whammy of Marriage Story and Uncut Gems (a borderline case, mind, as they’re just distributing it here) in the past few days and have a Breaking Bad movie, a new Sion Sono film and the Irishman to look forward to over the weekend... they’re on a bit of a roll tbh.

Is the Irishman out this weekend??

There are a bunch of premiere screenings in cinemas around the place. Might be sold out now but there’s at least five or six screenings around the country that I’ve heard of :)

netflix on Nov 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Amazon prime also allowed right?

Carnival Row on Amazon Prime. It's a steampunk story of faerie refugees (from an Ireland analogue- renamed "Tír-na-Nogue") moving on in a london analogue, in the face of widespread discrimination. One of the main characters (orlando bloom) is a sympathetic detective investigating the murder of Fae, other one is Cara Delavigne who is one of the refugees.

Finished it last night. Well worth a watch. I was surprised to discover that Cara Delavigne can act.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Fian wrote: »
    Amazon prime also allowed right?

Carnival Row on Amazon Prime. It's a steampunk story of faerie refugees (from an Ireland analogue- renamed "Tír-na-Nogue") moving on in a london analogue, in the face of widespread discrimination. One of the main characters (orlando bloom) is a sympathetic detective investigating the murder of Fae, other one is Cara Delavigne who is one of the refugees.

Finished it last night. Well worth a watch. I was surprised to discover that Cara Delavigne can act.

There's a separate thread for Prime but it's fairly quiet unless someone wants to change region.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Fian wrote: »

I've only seen her in that Paper Towns film, and itself is not great, but she was very good in it, in fact probably the best part of it, but her character is missing for most of it :rolleyes:

I'm sure several reviews of that Valerian film said similar about her.

PB season 5 is terrible. Worst season of them all, if fact the only bad season.

Worst season - agree.

Would not go so far as to say terrible - it is just a drop in standard.

Edit - PB here refers to peaky blinders.

mikhail wrote: »
    Why do you care how other people view the movie? It's in the cinema. Go watch it there.

Lots of reasons, I won't talk about The Irishman because I haven't seen it, but lets look at Scorseses last 3 films, Silence, TWOWS and Hugo. All amazing films in their own right with their own unique different strengths, it kills me a little at the thoughts of someone watching one of these brilliant films for the first time on a mobile phone on a bus or something, especially Hugo, which was a cinematic masterpiece. That's one thing, but then the same person casually dismissing the film as "It was alright", or "didn't like it", annoys the s**t out of me. Its just a trend I personally don't like. Maybe it shouldn't annoy me, but it does.

With the exception of Wolf of Wall Street, those other recent Scorsese films were commercial failures - sad but true. The reality is many people aren’t seeing them in the cinema regardless. Wish that was different, but it isn’t. I have my issues with the Netflix approach - for all the creative freedom they offer some directors, they’ve been far less interested in more unusual or experimental fare - but they have the biggest chequebook at the moment when it comes to a number of filmmakers who’ve expressed disillusion and frustration at more traditional funding paths.

Many of my favourite films I’ve only ever seen at home. With any film there are many, many people who’ll only ever see a film after its cinema release. Streaming just speeds up the process a bit.

Ultimately, the opportunity will be there for many people to see The Irishman on the big screen if they so wish - maybe not as widely as would be ideal, but not insignificant either. There’s also now the benefit that those who don’t live near a cinema or can’t afford to go will have much easier access to The Irishman without having to wait anywhere near as long as they would typically have to.

Ultimately, the opportunity will be there for many people to see The Irishman on the big screen if they so wish - maybe not as widely as would be ideal, but not insignificant either. There’s also now the benefit that those who don’t live near a cinema or can’t afford to go will have much easier access to The Irishman without having to wait anywhere near as long as they would typically have to.

Reality is that most people who see it at home will do so just for teh convenience, rather than going to a cinema. I will watch it at home. I live 5-10 minutes walk from the cinema in Dundrum shopping centre but I would prefer to sit at home and watch it in front of the fire, possibly with a beer or a glass of wine. Especially as then it starts exactly when I want and I can pause when I get up to go to the loo or even to finish it the following day if I go to bed. Modern TV will probably give me a better view of it than in the cinema too, albeit that the sound will not be as good.

Very little I would be interested in seeing on the big screen anymore, I guess the resolution on my TV is better than a cinema screen anyway, or at least resolution density is better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I know sometimes films are only distributed by Netflix having been shot already, but surely in the case of something like The Irishman, where they knew from the start it was a Netflix film, they know the vast majority of people are going to watch it on Netflix, at home. So surely they should be catering to that medium. I don't think anyone's actually saying that about this particular film, but just in general, the way films are made and distributed and viewed is changing, and I would think most people making films want, above all else, for people to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

El Duda wrote: »
    Guy in my office with awful taste just recommend that Tall Grass film.

I assume its awful?

Just watched this and was very underwhelmed, and I do love a good horror film. The first half is actually genuinely very good, but it peeters out totally in the second hand into something completely unremarkable. Not awful, but very average. Would've made a better 45m episode of Twilight Zone/Creepshow or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just watched Fractured early this evening, really enjoyable way to pass just under 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Niska wrote: »
    Watched In the Shadow of the Moon on Saturday.

Overall pretty good, the spooling of info over the years of the mystery of who the girl is was well done.
    This caught my eye coz it was directed by Jim Mickle, who did 'Cold in July', so I went in blind. It's promoted as a psychological thriller, but actually morphs into a sci-fi film, so be warned if you don't like sci-fi. Overall, quite enjoyable; silly, but entertaining, with Narcos' Boyd Holbrook as main character.
    Silly, yet clever, though a bit muddled, you may ponder afterwards how it could have been a really good film if it was put together better; lots of good elements in it though.

Fist fight

The Lies Within season 1
    After her father dies and her husband goes missing, Kim Seo-hui teams up with detective Jo Tae-sik and joins the National Assembly.

Street Flow
    Three brothers -- a gangster, a scholar and an impressionable teen -- learn hard lessons in the gritty suburbs while searching for the means to survive

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭facehugger99

peteeeed wrote: »
    netflix on Nov 1st

The 27th November.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Irishman_(2019_film)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭evilcloud

Just watched Fractured early this evening, really enjoyable way to pass just under 2 hours.

Really enjoyed this too. Had an unsettling tone right from the beginning and keeps you guessing all the way through.

The trailer (like most Netflix trailers) does not do it justice and should be avoided.

Also had no idea it was directed by Brad Anderson (Session 9 and and The Machinist) until the credits rolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

60 Days In. Quite possibly the ultimate reality show. 7 people volunteer to go into an American prison as inmates. They have to make the other real prisoners believe their stories and survive a pretty hostile environment.

Car crash TV but addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

60 Days In. Quite possibly the ultimate reality show. 7 people volunteer to go into an American prison as inmates. They have to make the other real prisoners believe their stories and survive a pretty hostile environment.

Car crash TV but addictive.

I wish they'd stop faffing around and just do The Running Man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

El Camino is excellent, highly recommended.

Advertisement