Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Woo! New She-Ra.

No kidding it's one of my favourite things on Netflix, ever :D
    Wonder if they plan on something as good as The Christmas Chronicles this year

Klaus looks like the best of their Christmas offerings this year, so far anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,311 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not even sure what about She-Ra makes it so good. I just know it gets released and after a couple hours over the weekend, I'm wondering when the next episodes are coming.

Nope, wait! Entrapta. Entrapta's the answer. And Scorpia.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Not even sure what about She-Ra makes it so good. I just know it gets released and after a couple hours over the weekend, I'm wondering when the next episodes are coming.

Nope, wait! Entrapta. Entrapta's the answer. And Scorpia.

I love all of it, tbh. It's extremely wholesome and sweet and yet goes to dark places at times and has one of the best friends to enemies hero/villain arcs of anything I've seen in recent memory, and it's also hilariously funny in places. The animation is really great too, I loved the episodes that were like a Western last season and the completely different style used when Hordark was explaining his backstory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Arctic (2018 Mads Mikkelsen)
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/arctic-mads-mikkelsen-is-scruffy-unshowy-and-precise-1.3885167
    Stranded in an Arctic wasteland after his plane crashes, a pilot must risk everything to help another gravely injured survivor reach safety in time.

Daybreak season 1
    Living his best life in post-apocalyptic LA, a slacker strives to find the girl of his dreams while outwitting mindless ghouls and cliquish gangs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Finally managed to finish Unbelievable
    What a chore /bore
    Like the lead detectives monotone voice

BoJack Horseman: Season 6

Brotherhood (Irmandade): Season 1
    An honest lawyer reaches a moral crossroads after the cops force her to inform on her incarcerated brother, the leader of a rising criminal faction.

Dolemite Is My Name (Eddie Murphy)
    In 1970s LA, struggling comedian Rudy Ray Moore hits it big with his raunchy alter ego, Dolemite, then risks it all to take his act to the big screen.

Drug Squad: Costa del Sol: Season 1
    Four intrepid and impulsive police officers form a special narcotics unit to combat the birth of drug trafficking on Spain's Costa del Sol in the 1970s

Greenhouse Academy: Season 3

Monzón: A Knockout Blow: Season 1

My Next Guest with David Letterman and Shah Rukh Khan
    "King of Bollywood" Shah Rukh Khan opens up about his rise to fame, his family and his billions of fans as he and Dave meet up in Mumbai and New York

Nailed It! France: Season 1
    On this fun and funny competition show, home bakers talented in catastrophe struggle to re-create dessert masterpieces and win a 5,000 euro prize

Nailed It! Spain: Season 1
    On this competition show, novice bakers try to avoid a fiasco while duplicating stunning sweets. At stake are a trophy and 5,000 euros.

Prank Encounters: Season 1
    Monstrous frights meet hilarious reveals on this hidden-camera prank show as real people become the stars of their own full-blown horror movie.

It Takes a Lunatic
    The extraordinary life of beloved acting teacher and theatre producer Wynn Handman is recalled in this portrait of a provocative, innovative artist.

Rattlesnake
    After a mysterious woman saves her daughter from a deadly snakebite, a single mother must repay the debt by killing a stranger before sundown.

The Awakening of Motti Wolkenbruch
    Pressured to marry a nice Orthodox Jewish woman, Motti is thrown for a loop when he falls for classmate Laura, who his mother will never approve of

The Kominsky Method: Season 2 ( wonderful)
    Acting coach Sandy Kominsky and best friend Norman Newlander keep each other laughing as they navigate the ups and downs of getting older.

Added

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

peteeeed wrote: »
    Dolemite Is My Name (Eddie Murphy)
    In 1970s LA, struggling comedian Rudy Ray Moore hits it big with his raunchy alter ego, Dolemite, then risks it all to take his act to the big screen.

The trailer for this actually looks really good and I see it's got great reviews going by Rotten Tomatoes. Also some of the actual Dolemite movies themselves are up to stream on Prime now (possibly UK only), they look truly awful but also hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

BoJack Horseman: Season 6

Final season, BBC were glowing in their praise!
    how-bojack-horseman-became-the-21st-centurys-best-animation

The first few series were absolutely brilliant, although I felt the 5th lost its way

Final season, BBC were glowing in their praise!
    how-bojack-horseman-became-the-21st-centurys-best-animation

The first few series were absolutely brilliant, although I felt the 5th lost its way

I think this is my next binge, not seen it
    After the kominsky method season 2 of course

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Arctic (2018 Mads Mikkelsen)
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/arctic-mads-mikkelsen-is-scruffy-unshowy-and-precise-1.3885167
    Stranded in an Arctic wasteland after his plane crashes, a pilot must risk everything to help another gravely injured survivor reach safety in time.

Watched that last night, was very good. Reminded me a lot of All is Lost. can't beat a good survival film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Arctic with Mads Mikkelsen was very good.

I watched the romcom 'Always be my maybe' last night staring Ali Wong. Some very funny scenes. Recommended!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Started watching Daybreak yesterday.. fun in a harmless, quite cliched way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Watched that last night, was very good. Reminded me a lot of All is Lost. can't beat a good survival film.

I liked it too. Love survival films. Can you recommend any others on Netflix?

Knine wrote: »
    I liked it too. Love survival films. Can you recommend any others on Netflix?

Have you watched the one I mention in my post? All is Lost. Well worth a look and I'm pretty sure it's still on there. I've heard The Impossible is meant to be quite good too though I've never watched it myself.

Not sure what others are on there if any. The 12th Man is another that springs to mind but that's more a war film than a straight up survival film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

bojackhed.png

forgot this was due for release !! fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Have you watched the one I mention in my post? All is Lost. Well worth a look and I'm pretty sure it's still on there. I've heard The Impossible is meant to be quite good too though I've never watched it myself.

Not sure what others are on there if any. The 12th Man is another that springs to mind but that's more a war film than a straight up survival film.

The Revenant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

The trailer for this actually looks really good and I see it's got great reviews going by Rotten Tomatoes. Also some of the actual Dolemite movies themselves are up to stream on Prime now (possibly UK only), they look truly awful but also hilarious.

This is great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭castle_lover

km79 wrote: »
    Finally managed to finish Unbelievable
    What a chore /bore
    Like the lead detectives monotone voice

Same, wasn’t great, was waiting for this amazing finish and it was blah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Seen all these except The Impossible. Seen the Revenant too. I love Survival Films

• Advertisement

God fracture was a load of ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭camz09

Anyone checked out Tell Me Who I Am yet?
    Man that was f***ed up..

camz09 wrote: »
    Anyone checked out Tell Me Who I Am yet?
    Man that was f***ed up..

I actually skipped past it there and watched fracture instead...is it worth a watch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Just watched Tell Me Who I am. Whoa. That is some dark and intense stuff. Really disturbing and shot in the most haunting way. Will be thinking about it for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

I saw 'Tell me Who I am' last night and it was just heartbreaking. Very intense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It's really enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Bus Boy

Watching 'Tell Me Who I Am' now. Hard watch but finding it hard to turn off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Knine wrote: »
    Seen all these except The Impossible. Seen the Revenant too. I love Survival Films
    The Impossible is really good. If you've got kids it especially brings home the horror of the unknown and separation in the wake of disaster.
    silverharp wrote: »
    what hellscape is this?
    Hollywood is eating itself.

Ingrid Goes West
    After her release from a psychiatric ward, a chronic social media stalker moves to L.A. to befriend an Instagram star, but her plan takes a dark turn.

The Last Whistle
    After a star player dies during football practice, his coach's career and reputation are on the line as he refuses to quit his win-at-all-costs style.

Added

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Hoboo wrote: »
    Comedies? You're kidding.

Yep there comedies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Looking for decent horror film, any recommendations?

Wolves at the Door
    In the summer of 1969, four friends gather for a farewell party at an elegant Los Angeles home, never suspecting it could be their last goodbye

Added

Happy death day was very enjoyable
    Groundhog Day mixed with scream

The ritual was also pretty good .Worth a watch for the the time of year that’s in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Monthly price increase again. Happens every year now. It’s def going to go to €20 a month.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

fin12 wrote: »
    Monthly price increase again. Happens every year now. It’s def going to go to €20 a month.
    The price increase was announced in June - I'm guessing it's only being passed on to you now, as I know a number of people who've already had it.

It's reckoned they won't have many more now because there's too much competition coming for them to risk it further.

A 3 Minute Hug
    This documentary captures the joy and heartbreak of families separated by the U.S.-Mexico border sharing a short but bittersweet reunion in 2018

Little Miss Sumo
    In an ancient sport traditionally reserved for men, 20-year-old female sumo prodigy Hiyori attempts to revolutionize Japan's national pastime.

Added

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The Kominsky Method. A Chuck Lorre comedy starring Michael Douglas. Very funny. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

She ra is crap. Nothing like the original 80s cartoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,038 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Kominsky Method. A Chuck Lorre comedy starring Michael Douglas. Very funny. :)

Currently on Series 2 of this.
    Keeping up the quality of Series 1, great show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

NIMAN wrote: »

Series 2? Excellent. I didn't know that. Loved the first series. Thats me sorted for a few days.

Anybody seen Ultraviolet?

• Advertisement

The babysitter

Started off funny and thought it would be alright but it just got more and more and more ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    Looking for decent horror film, any recommendations?

Not a film, but an 8-episode series (so you can do it in a couple of nights) - but I'd recommend Marianne.

French horror about a 30-year-old retired writer who realises one of the demons from her novels is real and wreaking havoc in her home town. Think of the Exorcist meets Misery meets It, but done in a more serious style than Stephen King.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Arsenio Hall: Smart & Classy
    In his first stand-up special, Arsenio Hall discusses getting older, the changing times and culture, social issues and even bothersome baby toes.

The Road to El Camino: Behind the Scenes of El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie
    Aaron Paul, Vince Gilligan and other cast members, producers and crew share stories and footage from the making of "El Camino."

added

The Road to El Camino: Behind the Scenes of El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie
    Aaron Paul, Vince Gilligan and other cast members, producers and crew share stories and footage from the making of "El Camino."

added

They are really squeezing the last bit of juice out of Breaking Bad. El Camino was watchable that's all.

After seeing the Deadwood movie and the Breaking bad 'movie', I've come to the conclusion that the whole concept of making a movie after a tv show has finished is just for the benefit of making the actors a few quid. They are pointless exercises in terms of the viewing pretty much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was pretty indifferent to El Camino - it has its moments and is filmed with all the style and grace you'd expect from the creative team, but it is fundamentally a bit pointless in a way it never fully escapes (particularly its over-reliance on flashbacks). It's far from peak Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul.

Deadwood, though, I'd give a lot more credit to. There was a more pressing reason to revisit that, because almost everyone involved felt a sense of unfinished business. I also think it's a far more rewarding and conclusive 'sequel' than El Camino is, and managed to have emotional weight beyond just the simple fact of getting the gang back together again. It's not a masterpiece or anything, but it was IMO a lovely, warm and warranted epilogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Watched Dolemite is my name, starts off a bit slow, but soon picks up to be an enjoyable film.

Had to check IMDB, to see if Dwayne Johnson was in it after losing a serious amount of weight, because Keegan-Michael Key looks just like him.

Edit, sad to hear that Charlie Murphy passed away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Just finished Daybreak, it's alright. It has its moments but the ending is just terrible.

I was pretty indifferent to El Camino - it has its moments and is filmed with all the style and grace you'd expect from the creative team, but it is fundamentally a bit pointless in a way it never fully escapes (particularly its over-reliance on flashbacks). It's far from peak Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul.

Deadwood, though, I'd give a lot more credit to. There was a more pressing reason to revisit that, because almost everyone involved felt a sense of unfinished business. I also think it's a far more rewarding and conclusive 'sequel' than El Camino is, and managed to have emotional weight beyond just the simple fact of getting the gang back together again. It's not a masterpiece or anything, but it was IMO a lovely, warm and warranted epilogue.

There was definitely an unfinished element to Deadwood, just after it it all felt a bit underwhelming and not worth the effort. Didn’t feel any of the connection to the old characters anymore. It was like the tale didn’t need to be told ...Powers Booth left a big gaping whole unfortunately

Flavorful Origins season 2
    Embark on a delightful journey through the culinary traditions of China and uncover the stories of the people who create and cherish its dishes

The Frozen Ground
    In this fact-based thriller, an Alaska state trooper pursuing a serial killer teams with a 17-year-old-prostitute who escaped the predator's clutches.

SpongeBob Square Pants season 6

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,038 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

NIMAN wrote: »

Finished series 2 last night.

Very good but disappointed with the ending.

It was one of those when you expected another episode to start, and it didn't. Didn't feel like a natural ending at all.

But at least we have a series 3 to come.

Advertisement