Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provincial Past

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Did the super crazy prices bus play music or advertising out of them speakers up top?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

clunked wrote: »
    Its a stand for an Almex machine but not the machine itself. Funnily enough, Kennelly's had conductors on their buses at this time

One of the machines could be attached directly to it, the other required a stand. KC5 just had a stand bolted on there, so only one type of machine could be used. They were what we called the ‘city’ and ‘country’ ticket machines. Although some city drivers had them permanently, the other machines were notorious for breaking.

Did the super crazy prices bus play music or advertising out of them speakers up top?

Was that KR2 with the side ad?

Was that KR2 with the side ad?

Yes it has 4 mega phones up top.....

Reminds me of this....

Yes it has 4 mega phones up top.....

Reminds me of this....

Correction on the side ad, it was a full AOA

Here's Csalem's photo with megaphones in place

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60501971@N08/50290460613/in/photolist-2jBZKR8-9tKvT4

• Advertisement

Correction on the side ad, it was a full AOA

Here's Csalem's photo with megaphones in place

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60501971@N08/50290460613/in/photolist-2jBZKR8-9tKvT4

Yeah it's on previous page what I was wondering was did they play something on them?

Yeah it's on previous page what I was wondering was did they play something on them?

Didn’t realise that, I never looked at the previous page haha

They probably did but I’m open to correction. Can’t see why not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I wonder what would be the chances today of Bus Eireann winning or even submitting a tender for bus routes in Dublin? Or indeed Dublin Bus putting in a tender for routes outside of Dublin.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

On the Provincial Past page you'll see BÉ winning a commercial (not state) tender in Dublin City... in the early 1990s though!

The chances of them tendering for each others core services is likely nil but it wouldn't be implausible if something of equal logic for either to run was tendered. BÉs Ashbourne and Balbriggan Town services are very DB-like for instance; if the NTA wanted to bring up a new similar route and tendered for it both would probably see value in tendering.

L1011 wrote: »
    On the Provincial Past page you'll see BÉ winning a commercial (not state) tender in Dublin City... in the early 1990s though!

The chances of them tendering for each others core services is likely nil but it wouldn't be implausible if something of equal logic for either to run was tendered. BÉs Ashbourne and Balbriggan Town services are very DB-like for instance; if the NTA wanted to bring up a new similar route and tendered for it both would probably see value in tendering.

Also some DBs Xpresso services might be of interest for BE in particular the 84x which probably more suited towards operating on a pick up/set down once past Loughlinstown like BE commuter services once they are out of the DB network.

The 103 isn't that similar to any DB operation as it does not pick up passengers until it is north of Finglas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

L1011 wrote: »

Wasn't there a big ballyhoo about 15 years ago when the government said they wanted BE to tender against DB on DCS routes? I may well be mis-remembering it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Csalem

1988 sees HB 254 parked at Rosslare Harbour. This bus started life as C 254 and was delivered new to CIE in 1966. Initially it operated out of Broadstone before moving to Cork, and then ending up in Waterford. In 1985 the middle door was added and it moved to Rosslare Harbour where it shuttled people between the ships and the land. It was withdrawn in 1990.
    It did not work alone when in Rosslare. C 203 was similarly converted to become dual-door HB 203, and both buses joined HB 56 which had been converted from.school bus SS 56. 15/09/1988

50342463577_2a6fa9f748_c.jpgProvincial Past (33) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That is a very tired looking bus

That is a very tired looking bus

Suppose at 34 years old one would expect that... Amazing they kept them so long ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ah yeah. But I actually mean literally looks like it's exhausted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

Suppose at 34 years old one would expect that... Amazing they kept them so long ...

It's actually 24 but that's still a grand old age!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

The battered yellow yoke that Irish Ferries were using the last time I was there about a year ago is if anything in worse condition.

Ports are a great place to find vintage buses that should have seen scrapyards a long time previously. Doing timy mileage a few times a day as well as not needing to be taxed or tested as long as they stay within the port probably helps, it's not that long since Holyhead still had a Leyland National in use for shuttles.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    it's not that long since Holyhead still had a Leyland National in use for shuttles.

They still have them running on the UK rail network

john boye wrote: »
    It's actually 24 but that's still a grand old age!

Sorry I was adding in the 1990 withdrawal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sorry I was adding in the 1990 withdrawal.

90-66=24

• Advertisement

1982 sees KE 1 parked at the depot in Donegal town. The bus was the first of fifty-two coaches delivered to CIE by Bombardier. These were the first single-decker buses delivered to CIE by that company, though the later classes (KC and KR) were built by GAC. KE 1 was slightly different from the following coaches as it had a more rounded roof. KE 1 - 22 were delivered as intercity coaches whereas 23 to 52 were touring coaches. But over time all ended up on passenger services. The fleet was delivered throughout 1981 and withdrawals started in 1995.
    Donegal town depot, like a lot of Bus Eireann depots, was built at the site of a former railway station. 25/09/1982

50368650152_fc61e330b1_c.jpgProvincial Past (34) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

KE1 was withdrawn in 1996 in Cork, it’s engine went into a KD I think. No idea if it ever seen service in Cork

1985 sees KR 33 picking up passengers in Balbriggan while operating a service from Dublin to Drogheda. KR 33 was only a few weeks old at this point but was destroyed by fire at Navan railway station in late-1986. It holds the distinction of being the only KR never to operate for Bus Eireann.
    Today this bus route is route 101. Balbriggan, 06/10/1985

50424180447_1369b38d94_c.jpgProvincial Past (35) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

1984 sees KC 139 loading up with passengers at Drogheda bus station before departing on a service to Laytown. This bus along with KC 137 and KC 138 were delivered new to Drogheda but were only there for a short while before more KRs arrived. The KCs subsequently moved to Clontarf Garage in Dublin. KC 139 was withdrawn by Dublin Bus around 2000, and was one of the last KCs to operate out of Clontarf.
    Currently there are two routes between Drogheda and Laytown numbered the D1 and D2. These routes replaced the 190 between these two points. 12/10/1984

50461676513_329bdd5ffc_c.jpgProvincial Past (36) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

It always amazes me how the entirety of KC124-171 inclusive ended up in Cork bar 137/8/9.

Yes 156 never seen service but was still in Capwell for a time stored, while 168 departed in 1988.

92/94/96 were also in Cork, the former 2 again going to Dublin, the latter exchanged with KC172 of Waterford in 1990.

1996 sees Bus Eireann KR 109 in Waterford with a service to Tramore. KR 109 was delivered new to CIE in 1985. It was withdrawn in the early-2000s, spending its last few years on school duties. KR 109 and KR 168 were the only members of this class to be painted in this version of Bus Eireann livery.
    Today the service to Tramore is operated as routes 360 and 360A and often has double-decker buses allocated to it. 19/10/1996

50505635593_dc82ee744f_c.jpgProvincial Past (37) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

As a matter of interest when did BE services start using route numbers for all services? I know the likes of the city services in Cork, Galway, Limerick always had them but on longer distances. Was it something that was rolled out on route by route basis or something that was planned.

GT89 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest when did BE services start using route numbers for all services? I know the likes of the city services in Cork, Galway, Limerick always had them but on longer distances. Was it something that was rolled out on route by route basis or something that was planned.

Someone else probably knows this better than I do, but the 1995/1996 timetable is the first one I have found that reflects the current numbering system. The 1994/1995 has Table 1 as Dublin - Drogheda - Dundalk and Table 100 as Dublin - Tullamore - Birr - Portumna. In the 1995/96 book Table 1 is Dublin - Belfast and Table 100 is Dublin - Drogheda - Dundalk. Worth noting that no Table 101 in that book.

It is also worth noting too that they are referred to as Table No. - it has only been in more recent times that they have started to refer to them as Route in timetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Rawr

Csalem wrote: »
    1996 sees Bus Eireann KR 109 in Waterford with a service to Tramore. KR 109 was delivered new to CIE in 1985. It was withdrawn in the early-2000s, spending its last few years on school duties. KR 109 and KR 168 were the only members of this class to be painted in this version of Bus Eireann livery.
    Today the service to Tramore is operated as routes 360 and 360A and often has double-decker buses allocated to it. 19/10/1996

50505635593_dc82ee744f_c.jpgProvincial Past (37) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Does anyone know what the Bus Eireann branded square plate near the door is about? It looks like that's where you might have a route number.

That...or maybe there's a light behind that panel to make it easy to identify this as a BE bus in the dark? Kinda curious...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Rawr wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the Bus Eireann branded square plate near the door is about? It looks like that's where you might have a route number.

That...or maybe there's a light behind that panel to make it easy to identify this as a BE bus in the dark? Kinda curious...

If memory serves me correctly there was a sign there saying Pay As You Enter.

Advertisement