Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issue with new bike

2»

Comments

You are a big unit and are probably putting out a nice bit of power. Depending on your riding style you probably are hard enough on rear wheels.

On a well built wheel that might mean a shorter lifespan without issue over a light rider who isn't powerful. It shouldn't be an issue for a long time however on a wheel built wheel.

Bikes are built to a price point and one of the areas the corners are cut is the time/effort given to build and stress relieve wheels. Somewhere a bean counter has made a calculation that its a worthwhile risk to put sh1t wheels on as
    *some bikes won't be used much at all
    *rider will be really light and lack power
    *buyer won't have a clue and just buy new wheels
    *lbs will take all the slack anyhow

Anyone buying a new bike should ask the lbs to fully check wheels, and retension and stress relive the wheels if necessary. If he/she won't(or is incapable) don't buy.

Example of tensions on a poorly built wheel below. Cube(amongst others) have been putting sh1te wheels on bike for years. It's a pity as the money involved is tiny, a professional builder would correct do a lot of tensioning/stress relieving in 15 mins.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109823299&postcount=2672

Based on some of the reading I've been doing it's not tensioning of the spokes that is the problem with the wheels - it's that the spoke holes were built too big and it's a recurring problem. It would explain me losing the nipples in the rims on early rides and the constant puncturing. I got an independent mechanic to retention them and it made no difference. I was coming down a hill on one of my early rides at about 60kph when two spokes went and the wheel as good as collapsed. It was only through luck that I noticed the problem quickly and managed to get off the bike without doing serious damage. I was green at the time and didn't know what was going on.

I got fobbed off by the shop with the line about me being big (I'm touching 14 stone and 6"4') and being hard on wheels but it's a complete red herring. From what I've been told I'm a smooth rider. I haven't had a puncture or a problem with a wheel in a year since ditching the Cube wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I hate reading on this website where someone has a problem and other people criticise them or blame them (I remember one where an old lady's wheel fell off her car after a service and the gist was attacking her for not having checked it herself before driving....)...

Anyway, just to say I'm not that type.... But... I think you've been well looked after with all the replacement wheels. You are, as has been stated, a big lad. It's not really a red herring as you described. The fact that you have a puncture every time you go out and can't change tyres, and it's tyres fault etc or wheels fault for being tight aren't really signs that point towards faulty wheels but maybe something you might be doing yourself in terms of tyre pressures and correctly fixing a puncture and cleaning out the inside of the tyre.

I'm similar to yourself, bit heavier. I've had similar issues with spokes needing to be trued. Unfortunately the wheels fitted wjth most bikes aren't great. I got a set of wheels built up years ago with 36 spokes and never had a problem since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I got fobbed off by the shop with the line about me being big (I'm touching 14 stone and 6"4') and being hard on wheels but it's a complete red herring.

Unless you've gotten considerably fatter and taller since they sold you the bike, this is complete BS. If they sold you a bike that is not fit for purpose (being ridden by you), that's their problem.

I hate reading on this website where someone has a problem and other people criticise them or blame them (I remember one where an old lady's wheel fell off her car after a service and the gist was attacking her for not having checked it herself before driving....)...

Anyway, just to say I'm not that type.... But... I think you've been well looked after with all the replacement wheels. You are, as has been stated, a big lad. It's not really a red herring as you described. The fact that you have a puncture every time you go out and can't change tyres, and it's tyres fault etc or wheels fault for being tight aren't really signs that point towards faulty wheels but maybe something you might be doing yourself in terms of tyre pressures and correctly fixing a puncture and cleaning out the inside of the tyre.

I'm similar to yourself, bit heavier. I've had similar issues with spokes needing to be trued. Unfortunately the wheels fitted wjth most bikes aren't great. I got a set of wheels built up years ago with 36 spokes and never had a problem since.

With respect, that's utter BS. You've just scanned the thread and picked bits out.

Of course, I can change a tyre. I've changed loads over the years. Just not on the tyres on the wheels supplied. I punctured on the way to the start line of a Sportive last year and it took me and a mechanic 25 minutes, lots of swearing and lube to get the tyre back on. He said he'd never come across a tyre in 25 years that was as hard to change. It's a two man job and impossible to do on the side of the road on your own. Read the reviews linked above and you'll see how many users have had similar issues.

With the replacement wheels, they replaced with the same model and make and I had the exact same problems. Constant punctures and nipples coming loose and dropping into rims. It got to a point where it was pointless riding with wheels supplied so I borrowed replacements and have been using them and others since. No punctures and no problems with spokes.

I'm tall and thin, not big. I should be able to buy a bike and expect it to be for purpose. I'm sure all the similar reviews were not written by 'big' people.

Unless you've gotten considerably fatter and taller since they sold you the bike, this is complete BS. If they sold you a bike that is not fit for purpose (being ridden by you), that's their problem.

I'm lighter from all the cycling! I was never even heavy, just tall and thin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Kysriums are good wheels, they'll see you right.

Cubes are cheap, and some of the ways to get to a low price point is to supply with sh1te wheels, and freddy finishing kit in the knowledge that both areas generally get replaced by keen road cyclists over time, if not straightaway.

We accept the freddy wheels can be dull and lifeless, but at a minimum they should be strong and correctly set up in exchange for the lifelessness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

With respect, that's utter BS. You've just scanned the thread and picked bits out.

I read it, every word. You seem lovely. Best of luck with your new wheels

I read it, every word. You seem lovely. Best of luck with your new wheels

LOL. Good man.

It's contributions like yours - jump into a thread and have a go at the OP and then make a personal go at them when they set you straight - that turn so many people off Boards. I have no time for that crap, and unfortunately it's repeated time and again across the whole forum. It was a perfectly civil and good natured discussion about wheels on a bike until you jumped in. Be nice.

Advertisement