Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with new bike

Options
2»

Comments

To update this thread, I had the exact same problem with the other wheel on the bike - the nipple came loose on a long spin and dropped into the rim of the wheel and was rattling around. I had no choice but to continue home and was afraid the wheel would buckle as the spoke tension was already gone but made it.

Brought it back and got it repaired but have to say I don't have much faith in the bike I bought as both wheels have gone now. Brought wheel back and explained by issue - they said they would fix wheel and also get back to Cube and see if they can get it replaced.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

To update this thread, I had the exact same problem with the other wheel on the bike - the nipple came loose on a long spin and dropped into the rim of the wheel and was rattling around. I had no choice but to continue home and was afraid the wheel would buckle as the spoke tension was already gone but made it.

Brought it back and got it repaired but have to say I don't have much faith in the bike I bought as both wheels have gone now. Brought wheel back and explained by issue - they said they would fix wheel and also get back to Cube and see if they can get it replaced.

Sometimes the wheels shipped with slightly cheaper bikes aren't great and you might be better considering simply replacing them with the next level up. Aksiums are a popular low end wheel and personally I've had lots of trouble free miles on a pair of Fulcrum 7s in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Cliff in Harry's rebuilt one of my Giant wheels, after a few random spoke breakages. His take is they save weight on the spokes. Him upgrading the spokes was still cheaper than a new wheelset.

To update the update, the wheel I picked up yesterday after having it repaired went again last night. Same issue - nipple came loose and dropped into the rim leaving me with a damaged spoke and a ****ty ride home. I think it's safe to say now that the two wheels on the bike I bought were defective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I'm surprised at some of the suggestions in this thread of spokes coming loose being somehow normal for wheels. It's not.

Spokes on well-built wheels do not routinely come loose, and no not routinely break (though breakage can be due to factors other than the quality of the build, such as a hub where the spoke holes are badly finished during manufacture). The corollary is true of badly-built wheels, in both cases.

Cost of the wheels is not a reliable indicator of quality, but as with most things the cheaper they are the greater the likelihood of poor quality.

As for spokes "bedding in", that happening is an indicator of poorly built wheels too. For well-built wheels the spokes are seated fully as part of the build and are stress-relieved too, leaving no scope for "bedding in". If that isn't done then either the wheel builder doesn't know what they are doing, or they don't care to spend the time on it, either of which would mark them out as a rubbish wheel builder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

In my mind the shop should replace both wheels for you. If they want to chase Cube that’s their business. I don’t see why you should have to wait around to see what Cube have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If it were me I would be insisting on a different set of new wheels. I would have zero confidence in the wheels on the bike and would be afraid to go any sort of distance for fear of them breaking or buckling on me. If they refused then sale of goods act should apply and a full refund sought on the basis that the product is not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

People have interesting views on wheels. Some say wear and tear others say poorly built. It's hardly wear and tear if a spoke or two goes after just a few hundred km. Unless they're jumping off curbs on a daily basis a wheel should still be able to manage someone riding along normal roads.

One of the spokes went on my Campag Zonda. These wheels are known for staying true, mentioned it to a salesman and he was surprised and said it would be fixed under warranty. The service department tried to charge me for it even though it was a warranty repair. Wear and tear etc. Hasn't gone out of true at all in the last 3 years, just bad luck it went. Even the service manager was pushy against it.

If it was a bike from Halfords I'd understand. The GF had a bike from there and the wheel creaked just from inflating the tyre to the minimum pressure.

If you want strong wheels on a budget, the Campagnolo Khamsin G3 are bombproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭py

Interested to find out the weight of the rider and the weight limit on the wheels.

py wrote: »
    Interested to find out the weight of the rider and the weight limit on the wheels.

I'm 14st 6 and 6'4". Not sure what the weight limit is but I would assume I am a good bit off it and nothing mentioned when I bought the bike, but interestingly the manager was hinting the other day that if I were to get new wheels I should consider a different spoke pattern.

• Advertisement

hesker wrote: »
    In my mind the shop should replace both wheels for you. If they want to chase Cube that’s their business. I don’t see why you should have to wait around to see what Cube have to say.

Just had second wheel replaced with a like for like the other day. Did 100k at 32kph on Sunday and no problems so fingers crossed that's the end of it and it was both original wheels that were defective.

If it were me I would be insisting on a different set of new wheels. I would have zero confidence in the wheels on the bike and would be afraid to go any sort of distance for fear of them breaking or buckling on me. If they refused then sale of goods act should apply and a full refund sought on the basis that the product is not fit for purpose.

If I have any more problems I will be doing exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm 14st 6 and 6'4". Not sure what the weight limit is but I would assume I am a good bit off it and nothing mentioned when I bought the bike, but interestingly the manager was hinting the other day that if I were to get new wheels I should consider a different spoke pattern.

That's around 90kg which I believe is on the heavier side of cycling, the joys of being 6'4" :)

I think some manufacturers recommend extra observations and having the wheels trued more often at that weight. Campagnolos actual weight limit for example is 109kg. I'm just over that and haven't had any issues over several thousand kilometres. Their G3 spoke pattern caters to heavier riders. If I recall, some manufacturers don't even specify weight limits.

I think some of these limits are just to cover their arse though. There's plenty of heavier guys riding around with no issues.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    That's around 90kg which I believe is on the heavier side of cycling, the joys of being 6'4" :)

I think some manufacturers recommend extra observations and having the wheels trued more often at that weight. Campagnolos actual weight limit for example is 109kg. I'm just over that and haven't had any issues over several thousand kilometres. Their G3 spoke pattern caters to heavier riders. If I recall, some manufacturers don't even specify weight limits.

I think some of these limits are just to cover their arse though. There's plenty of heavier guys riding around with no issues.

I think it's a bit of a red herring. Ironically, I had to borrow a spare wheel off my next door neighbour who is 19stone and has never had an issue with a wheel in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

DaveyDave wrote: »

I'm tipping along comfortably at 100kg (all muscle..... of course......) Giants are rated to 125kg as an example. 90kg is a pretty average everyday weight and unless the OP is underinflating them and hopping them off every pothole he can find I'd expect them to be and stay perfectly fine.

I'm tipping along comfortably at 100kg (all muscle..... of course......) Giants are rated to 125kg as an example. 90kg is a pretty average everyday weight and unless the OP is underinflating them and hopping them off every pothole he can find I'd expect them to be and stay perfectly fine.

Tyres inflated to the recommended level and I have been over cautious if anything on spins as I am wary of hitting holes.

Bringing a zombie back to life to give you all an update.

After all the problems mentioned in this thread, I ended up just ditching the replacement wheels the shop gave me as they were giving me the same problems but with added punctures (at one stage I was puncturing every time I went out) and it was impossible to change them on the road as they were so tight.

Anyway, I've done a lot of cycling since and my wife was getting me new wheels for my birthday and was checking the specs of the bike to give to her when I came across some reviews of the bike, many of which had remarkably similar experiences to me with broken spokes, constant punctures and generally disastrous wheels.

In hindsight, I was naive and should have demanded a different brand of wheels or my money back. I got by on borrowed wheels for over a year but what a frustrating experience.

Cube Attain SI 2018 reviews. It's a grand bike with the worst wheels ever!

https://www.evanscycles.com/cube-attain-sl-2018-road-bike-EV319178

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cube-attain-sl-2018-wheel-issues.244352/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭saccades

Hindsight is always 20:20 unfortunately.

The more important thing is, what new wheels?

In the traditional way i recommend what I own, Hope five 20 (although probably too wide when fitted with tyres for your frame).

saccades wrote: »
    Hindsight is always 20:20 unfortunately.

The more important thing is, what new wheels?

In the traditional way i recommend what I own, Hope five 20 (although probably too wide when fitted with tyres for your frame).

Mavic KSYRIUM 2020. I've used a borrowed set and loved them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Bringing a zombie back to life to give you all an update.

After all the problems mentioned in this thread, I ended up just ditching the replacement wheels the shop gave me as they were giving me the same problems but with added punctures (at one stage I was puncturing every time I went out) and it was impossible to change them on the road as they were so tight.

Anyway, I've done a lot of cycling since and my wife was getting me new wheels for my birthday and was checking the specs of the bike to give to her when I came across some reviews of the bike, many of which had remarkably similar experiences to me with broken spokes, constant punctures and generally disastrous wheels.

In hindsight, I was naive and should have demanded a different brand of wheels or my money back. I got by on borrowed wheels for over a year but what a frustrating experience.

Cube Attain SI 2018 reviews. It's a grand bike with the worst wheels ever!

https://www.evanscycles.com/cube-attain-sl-2018-road-bike-EV319178

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cube-attain-sl-2018-wheel-issues.244352/

You are a big unit and are probably putting out a nice bit of power. Depending on your riding style you probably are hard enough on rear wheels.

On a well built wheel that might mean a shorter lifespan without issue over a light rider who isn't powerful. It shouldn't be an issue for a long time however on a wheel built wheel.

Bikes are built to a price point and one of the areas the corners are cut is the time/effort given to build and stress relieve wheels. Somewhere a bean counter has made a calculation that its a worthwhile risk to put sh1t wheels on as
    *some bikes won't be used much at all
    *rider will be really light and lack power
    *buyer won't have a clue and just buy new wheels
    *lbs will take all the slack anyhow

Anyone buying a new bike should ask the lbs to fully check wheels, and retension and stress relive the wheels if necessary. If he/she won't(or is incapable) don't buy.

Example of tensions on a poorly built wheel below. Cube(amongst others) have been putting sh1te wheels on bike for years. It's a pity as the money involved is tiny, a professional builder would correct do a lot of tensioning/stress relieving in 15 mins.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109823299&postcount=2672

• Advertisement

You are a big unit and are probably putting out a nice bit of power. Depending on your riding style you probably are hard enough on rear wheels.

On a well built wheel that might mean a shorter lifespan without issue over a light rider who isn't powerful. It shouldn't be an issue for a long time however on a wheel built wheel.

Bikes are built to a price point and one of the areas the corners are cut is the time/effort given to build and stress relieve wheels. Somewhere a bean counter has made a calculation that its a worthwhile risk to put sh1t wheels on as
    *some bikes won't be used much at all
    *rider will be really light and lack power
    *buyer won't have a clue and just buy new wheels
    *lbs will take all the slack anyhow

Anyone buying a new bike should ask the lbs to fully check wheels, and retension and stress relive the wheels if necessary. If he/she won't(or is incapable) don't buy.

Example of tensions on a poorly built wheel below. Cube(amongst others) have been putting sh1te wheels on bike for years. It's a pity as the money involved is tiny, a professional builder would correct do a lot of tensioning/stress relieving in 15 mins.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109823299&postcount=2672

Based on some of the reading I've been doing it's not tensioning of the spokes that is the problem with the wheels - it's that the spoke holes were built too big and it's a recurring problem. It would explain me losing the nipples in the rims on early rides and the constant puncturing. I got an independent mechanic to retention them and it made no difference. I was coming down a hill on one of my early rides at about 60kph when two spokes went and the wheel as good as collapsed. It was only through luck that I noticed the problem quickly and managed to get off the bike without doing serious damage. I was green at the time and didn't know what was going on.

I got fobbed off by the shop with the line about me being big (I'm touching 14 stone and 6"4') and being hard on wheels but it's a complete red herring. From what I've been told I'm a smooth rider. I haven't had a puncture or a problem with a wheel in a year since ditching the Cube wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I hate reading on this website where someone has a problem and other people criticise them or blame them (I remember one where an old lady's wheel fell off her car after a service and the gist was attacking her for not having checked it herself before driving....)...

Anyway, just to say I'm not that type.... But... I think you've been well looked after with all the replacement wheels. You are, as has been stated, a big lad. It's not really a red herring as you described. The fact that you have a puncture every time you go out and can't change tyres, and it's tyres fault etc or wheels fault for being tight aren't really signs that point towards faulty wheels but maybe something you might be doing yourself in terms of tyre pressures and correctly fixing a puncture and cleaning out the inside of the tyre.

I'm similar to yourself, bit heavier. I've had similar issues with spokes needing to be trued. Unfortunately the wheels fitted wjth most bikes aren't great. I got a set of wheels built up years ago with 36 spokes and never had a problem since.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I got fobbed off by the shop with the line about me being big (I'm touching 14 stone and 6"4') and being hard on wheels but it's a complete red herring.

Unless you've gotten considerably fatter and taller since they sold you the bike, this is complete BS. If they sold you a bike that is not fit for purpose (being ridden by you), that's their problem.

I hate reading on this website where someone has a problem and other people criticise them or blame them (I remember one where an old lady's wheel fell off her car after a service and the gist was attacking her for not having checked it herself before driving....)...

Anyway, just to say I'm not that type.... But... I think you've been well looked after with all the replacement wheels. You are, as has been stated, a big lad. It's not really a red herring as you described. The fact that you have a puncture every time you go out and can't change tyres, and it's tyres fault etc or wheels fault for being tight aren't really signs that point towards faulty wheels but maybe something you might be doing yourself in terms of tyre pressures and correctly fixing a puncture and cleaning out the inside of the tyre.

I'm similar to yourself, bit heavier. I've had similar issues with spokes needing to be trued. Unfortunately the wheels fitted wjth most bikes aren't great. I got a set of wheels built up years ago with 36 spokes and never had a problem since.

With respect, that's utter BS. You've just scanned the thread and picked bits out.

Of course, I can change a tyre. I've changed loads over the years. Just not on the tyres on the wheels supplied. I punctured on the way to the start line of a Sportive last year and it took me and a mechanic 25 minutes, lots of swearing and lube to get the tyre back on. He said he'd never come across a tyre in 25 years that was as hard to change. It's a two man job and impossible to do on the side of the road on your own. Read the reviews linked above and you'll see how many users have had similar issues.

With the replacement wheels, they replaced with the same model and make and I had the exact same problems. Constant punctures and nipples coming loose and dropping into rims. It got to a point where it was pointless riding with wheels supplied so I borrowed replacements and have been using them and others since. No punctures and no problems with spokes.

I'm tall and thin, not big. I should be able to buy a bike and expect it to be for purpose. I'm sure all the similar reviews were not written by 'big' people.

Unless you've gotten considerably fatter and taller since they sold you the bike, this is complete BS. If they sold you a bike that is not fit for purpose (being ridden by you), that's their problem.

I'm lighter from all the cycling! I was never even heavy, just tall and thin!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Kysriums are good wheels, they'll see you right.

Cubes are cheap, and some of the ways to get to a low price point is to supply with sh1te wheels, and freddy finishing kit in the knowledge that both areas generally get replaced by keen road cyclists over time, if not straightaway.

We accept the freddy wheels can be dull and lifeless, but at a minimum they should be strong and correctly set up in exchange for the lifelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

With respect, that's utter BS. You've just scanned the thread and picked bits out.

I read it, every word. You seem lovely. Best of luck with your new wheels

I read it, every word. You seem lovely. Best of luck with your new wheels

LOL. Good man.

It's contributions like yours - jump into a thread and have a go at the OP and then make a personal go at them when they set you straight - that turn so many people off Boards. I have no time for that crap, and unfortunately it's repeated time and again across the whole forum. It was a perfectly civil and good natured discussion about wheels on a bike until you jumped in. Be nice.

Advertisement