Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Carlton K Whinge Binge...dedicated thread **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

retalivity wrote: »
    he seems to have less awaremess of what is happening on the road than before?
    That would be impossible. He's always been completely useless, it's almost as if he's not seeing the same pictures as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

I can understand how some find his obscure musings annoying but I must say I like him, if only for the "what'll he say next"

If are enjoying this thread then you'll probably like this...
    Who said it: Cycling commentator or Alan Partridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They have local commentary, unless you mean the English language commentary? Wouldn't make sense getting in an additional commentary team.

Local commentary is available where those countries have their own Eurosport (france, germany, holland, etc).

International Eurosport is in English. The countries who have their own Eurosport will have their own commentary. But that's not 'International Eurosport'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Simon Reed (brother of Oliver Reed) is head of commentator's at Eurosport. He is the guy to sound off to about Kirby. The problem is, if you've listened to him commentating on tennis or the Olympics for Eurosport and BBC, that he is an 'jolly old chap' himself. I'd say he is fond of Kirby and I doubt he'll remove him from that gig. Thankfully, it appears we'll get more of Hatch who is aware of the international audience and isn't so affected by what the Brits are doing in the race.

I fear for Sean Kelly going forward. We're hearing more of Brian Smith, who sounds very professional and knows the in's and out's as a former DS, but is biased in his some of his opinions. I like listening to Hatch and Kelly together but I expect we'll get more of Kirby and Smith in the future.

One thing I'd say about Kirby is that after a dodgy start taking over from Harmon, he improved and brought an enthusiasm to the commentary box we had not heard before. Sadly though, he has regressed and knows fewer riders these days and covers his lack of knowledge by creating his own narrative of how the race is going. Laughing at your own jokes is a big no-no, but as I said above, there is nobody who is going to remove him from the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Simon Reed (brother of Oliver Reed) is head of commentator's at Eurosport. He is the guy to sound off to about Kirby.
    Something new learned !

Yes, i fear for KingKelly too, but i think he is the best analyser they have, Smith a close second....
    As for Flecha ?!? :eek: WTF like... understand 1 out of 3 words ...
    LeMond - with his stop/start truncated sentences, and he just doesnt look at ease , his mouth just cant/wont keep up with his brain...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

greenspurs wrote: »
    Something new learned !

Yes, i fear for KingKelly too, but i think he is the best analyser they have, Smith a close second....
    As for Flecha ?!? :eek: WTF like... understand 1 out of 3 words ...
    LeMond - with his stop/start truncated sentences, and he just doesnt look at ease , his mouth just cant/wont keep up with his brain...

Flecha speaks close to every language under the sun. I'd be inclined to give his English a pass to be honest. I enjoy his interviews with the riders as he's ridden with most of them. The interview with Uran yesterday was more akin to two mates talking which was nice.

His analysis is also pretty much spot on with regards to course recon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I've been listening to Kirby for many years i honestly think he only became a bad cycling commentator from the growth of his ego and the success of British cycling.
    When he first started he used to be an analyst for David Duffield in the studio in Paris and done something similar to what that guy John (second name) is doing talking about wine although it was more to do with racing.

I watch the Le mans 24h every year and again this year Kirby was great,very informative and not nearly as many witty remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

We love him. I think he's hilarious, but could be just my sense of humour. I think he brings the fun side out of Jon Harris-Basse and Rob Hatch, and even dead-serious Brian Smith!

I think he is pretty knowledgeable and, sure he gets it wrong from time to time but so what, so does everyone else. It's a thousand times better than boring Liggett, commenting on exactly what the riders are doing exactly as they are doing it, with almost no speculation, chat or amusing anecdotes.

I watch him on Le Mans and the Dakar too, and think his commentary style is very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Can you imagine a commentator for another sport being that ignorant about what they're working on and not only keeping their job, but being given all the plum gigs.
    George Hamilton?

Drops mike! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

rtmie wrote: »
    George Hamilton?

You can probably stick Jimmy Magee in there too for boxing and everything else he covered/covers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Malari wrote: »
    It's a thousand times better than boring Liggett, commenting on exactly what the riders are doing exactly as they are doing it, with almost no speculation, chat or amusing anecdotes.

From a previous Carlton whinge thread.
    I dunno, I like him. He's no Phil Liggett but he does the job.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89321138&postcount=7

edit: this particular comparison is a bit like arguing over which is the more talented Kardashian sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Lumen wrote: »
    From a previous Carlton whinge thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89321138&postcount=7

edit: this particular comparison is a bit like arguing over which is the more talented Kardashian sister.

I don't really understand this reference, but if you mean they are both the same, then I disagree. I think they have wildly different commentating styles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

mcdonrob wrote: »
    I can understand how some find his obscure musings annoying but I must say I like him, if only for the "what'll he say next"

9/14 and I am a Partridge fan.
    rtmie wrote: »
    George Hamilton?

George Hook?

throws mike out window

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Depressing thought of the day: maybe Carlton is employed because of rather than in spite of his arse-kissing of Team Sky.

https://twitter.com/dnlbenson/status/884140325345927168

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Magnus Backsted is the best at technial and race craft analysis. Delivered in an interesting and absorbing manner and interspersed with his own experiences. Followed by Brian Smith. Hatch and or Quigley for the hot seat. Think I prefer Hatch and his exotic parlance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Richie Porte's wife is a fan of Kirby....... Not.!

https://twitter.com/gemmanicoleb/status/884120796645470209

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Saw that yesterday, did she honestly think that he doesn't know his name? Did she actually watch any of the coverage where he was called Ritchie by Kirby over and over?

Probably just an autocorrect in Kirby's tweet, and she's probably just venting on anyone after seeing Rickie have a bad crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

We demand justice for Rickie Porte. Froome didn't even win the stage for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

mcdonrob wrote: »

This is the only good thing about this thread!

11/13 - yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Was it David Duffield who used to say "he has blown a gasket"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Can't believe I missed this, a release, a place to vent! Thank God!

Can't stand him as a commentator. I'm sure he is perfectly lovely as a breathing human being, but as a commentator he is about as useful as my mother.

He also repeats the same rubbish over and over.

Passing a guy holding a flare? "They really should be banned..."

Passing some idiots running with the riders? "We don't want to see that..."

Passing a coast line? "It's a phenomenon called vectoring..."

His attempts at mind reading are also infuriating. I'm sorry Carlton, you don't know what Froome is thinking, why Porte is smiling or why Valverde is looking back. So stop making stuff up and letting it pass your lips. The "Froome will surely dedicate his win to Porte" was a perfect example.

Rob Hatch far superior.

I said to some friends yesterday that I'm actually partial to Lance's Facebook Live streams, he would be a great commentator (loves to be the one talking). Actually knows what's going on in the bunch too, although I had to laugh when he was asked seriously about rest day strategies and answered with ride intensity and not plasma volume.

Actually much as it pains me to say it Lance is knocking it out of the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That'll be the steroids again, an ongoing problem in baseball. Some say there's resistance to remedying it as not as many balls from the park would be knocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Yeah...he is knocking out of the park alright...knows his stuff, its straight talking, funny , informative but an utter narcissist ...its all about Lance....you can see that a mile off ..but he would make good TV..there is nothing wishy washy about him

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That'll be the steroids again, an ongoing problem in baseball. Some say there's resistance to remedying it as not as many balls from the park would be knocked.

:D

I watch ES mostly for Sean Kelly ....I love him...laid back humorous and really knows know his stuff but does not push it down your throat like Millar (as if teaching kindergarden...look children its the cat on the mat ) or Brain Smith who talks as if visiting his gran at the nursing home repeating himself continuously in a loud voice and alluding to his role in Cummings and Cavandish's success every 5 minutes

But with Fletcha (what is he saying ??) and LeMond on board ( get to the point) I think Kelly's job is still safe at ES

As for Carlton Kirby ...where to begin

I don't mind that he gets rider names wrong or talks for hours as if an expert on climate, architecture or history. or whatever...air filling.... I get it..even though alot of what he says is just made up

Its the utter repetitive bias of the man ...He has a few tidbits on ridersand he does them to death

He has learnt so little about the riders or the race ...he has not progressed...he has not bothered ...

What little he does know he has done to death
    Fro instance Froome & Porte are good friends off the bike...so what ...lot of riders are friends off the bike with Porte and with Froome. This constant implication of a special relationship is to imbue Froome with good guy attributes to put alongside his eulogies to Froome.....its sickening really

Someone said earlier that posters on here dont like Kirby because they dont like Froome...not true ...no matter who Kirby goes over board on I would feel the same way..and he goes overboard on Froome

And poor Simon Clarke who he calls Si Clarke even though he knows Clarke does not like the name ...every race no matter the parcours Kirby mentions Clarke as a possible winner ...he has jinxed him

Laughing at his own jokes , having a dig at only some riders ( TJ van Garderen springs to mind) ..telling us what the riders are thinking...saying certain riders are being bullied when nothing of the kind is going on...

Rob Hatch has studied the riders and it shows...Kriby hasn't bothered and it shows...Kirby just falls back on the same stuff over and over again ....no matter how wrong or worse makes stuff up because he doesn't care about the listeners

Hatch & Kelly my best team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Hatch and Kelly for me as well. I also really like magnus baskdet.

I really like magnus baskdet. too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

MPFGLB wrote: »
    I watch ES mostly for Sean Kelly ....I love him...laid back humorous and really knows know his stuff but does not push it down your throat like Millar (as if teaching kindergarden...look children its the cat on the mat ) or Brain Smith who talks as if visiting his gran at the nursing home repeating himself continuously in a loud voice and alluding to his role in Cummings and Cavandish's success every 5 minutes

But with Fletcha (what is he saying ??) and LeMond on board ( get to the point) I think Kelly's job is still safe at ES

Agree I watch ES for Kelly

Kelly and his insight into what is going on is brilliant - he studies and gives a considered response (Carlton, to his credit, respects and waits for this)

Overall I must say I enjoy the chaotic Carlton steady Kelly dynamic... For example...Aru made the very "dodgy" under arm break.... Carlton called it, Kelly himm'd and haw'd.... Carlton laughed and said "he smelt his armpit" and laughed...

I like Fletcha... his accent is strong but he's showing us the routes... and getting access to riders. Eg. his interview will Rigoberto Uran will outlast all of us here ... Honestly I believe it was one of the best post race interviews I've ever seen. The sheer honesty - "I tought they were taking the mickey".... think about it 53/11 & 39/11

Advertisement