Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Carlton K Whinge Binge...dedicated thread **spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Lumen wrote: »
    Papercuts! :eek:

*Crosses legs !!! :eek::eek::eek:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Maybe it's just me folks but I think to anyone that follows cycling there's very little to be gained from listening to the commentaries on ES. For me if there's no raw feed on the player, it's volume down, there's nearly enough info with the on screen graphics and maybe supplement with the race website.

Kirby et al just bore/irritate me a lot of the time.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

SHUT UP, CARLTON!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

Raam wrote: »
    SHUT UP, CARLTON!

DON'T LISTEN TO THEM CARLTON! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

He did a great link between “wild boar” and Duran Duran in last years tour,

In fairness it must be difficult to talk live for 4 hours when nothing is happening apart from Sky sitting on the front

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Raam wrote: »
    SHUT UP, CARLTON!
    gallery-1493054915-gettyimages-140659983.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

ROOSTER TAILS .............

My god , he is getting worse.... "I'll be bound...>" :eek::mad::confused:

"G"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Please make it stop.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I cant listen to him anymore, he is nauseating this year in particular.
    Froome froome froome,Sky,Froome, is all we hear.

Yesterday at the dauphine he was constantly spouting on about team sky, nothing new ofcourse but i really have enough at this stage.
    If it wasnt that it was "G" G fcuking this G fcuking that , id say half the viewers hadnt a clue what he was on about .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

"Whos going to reach out 1st" seems to be a new one

tenor.gif?itemid=7559294

I watched today's finish in Dutch. Worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

buffalo wrote: »

I watched with no sound. It was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

buffalo wrote: »

Probably Carlton Kirby putting on a Dutch accent

I turned it off ... couldn't watch the last stage with his constant "G" bullsh1t .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Lemans 24hrs is on from now till Sunday and Kirby is commentating as he does every year.
    He's actually very good and I don't get why he's such a fool while doing the commentary on the cycling.

Lemans 24hrs is on from now till Sunday and Kirby is commentating as he does every year.
    He's actually very good and I don't get why he's such a fool while doing the commentary on the cycling.

Cos he hasn’t a clue bout cycling. He spoofs his way thru it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

That's a very long 24 hours until Sunday.

Will he mention the "G" forces .........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

He does know his motor sport. I think the first I heard of him was commentating on DTM and ALMs years ago for Motors TV.

• Advertisement

tigerboon wrote: »
    He does know his motor sport. I think the first I heard of him was commentating on DTM and ALMs years ago for Motors TV.

Speed skating too. He seemed to know his stuff on that during the winter olympics.

Eurosport should have a G jar at the tour. Every time Carlton calls Geraint Thomas G he has to put a fiver in it. Eurosport be having one he'll of a piss up in Paris then

What a rubbish nickname - G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Their is actually a team racing today in the lmp2 class called G-drive racing.

Could it possibly be him 😀.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Another reason not to renew my Eurosport subscription!?

http://media.eurosport.com/pressR/name/Eurosport_signs_Sir_Bradley_Wiggins_for_exclusive_Tour_de_France_digital_series/id/6989/folder/Press%20Releases/folderId/22/;jsessionid=B333297BA4E7EAF6F31DC52A8EA73960.prem1

Europort obviously have no shame. Did they read the UK's DCMS committee which effectively concluded he doped/cheated to win the Tour? Maybe it's no surprise as they have Virenque and others with a dark past as part of their coverage.

An odd choice though and likely to piss off those already tired of the heavy British/Team sky bias.

The only saving grace is that he may just be restricted to a podcast role with little or no on-air contribution.

On the other hand he may be tempted to rip the piss out of Sky and Froome. I suppose that's probably their thinking in hiring him - he'll be controversial like! Highly unlikely though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭coco0981

Kirby is going to be even more insufferable now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Why has he such a man crush for a Kenyan cyclist I don't know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

mloc123 wrote: »
    Why has he such a man crush for a Kenyan cyclist I don't know...

for the same reason Liggett had a man crush on Lance. He knows what side his bread is buttered on. It pays to keep 'well-in' with the sport's biggest 'star'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

1bryan wrote: »
    for the same reason Liggett had a man crush on Lance. He knows what side his bread is buttered on. It pays to keep 'well-in' with the sport's biggest 'star'.

Is it really though, maybe its because social media is inherently biased to put up stories you agree with nowadays but the general vibe I get is that Team Sky are toxic unless they chuck him and a few others at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The man himself tweeted this only yesterday, he's quite emboldened on Twitter since his idol's innocence has been declared.

https://twitter.com/carltonkirby/status/1014913883323105281?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Hurrache wrote: »
    The man himself tweeted this only yesterday, he's quite emboldened on Twitter since his idol's innocence has been declared.

https://twitter.com/carltonkirby/status/1014913883323105281?s=19

KIrby is the biggest tool ever...what kind of tweet was that from a professional broadcaster.....
    I know there never was any doubt he was in the Froome camp but that tweet is ridiculous...Trying to blame fans for questioning Froome...has he no idea of the history of the sport and how fans feel constantly suspicious because of previous 'heros'

What happend to impartiality...:rolleyes:

The media should not be cheerleaders... right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

MPFGLB wrote: »
    KIrby is the biggest tool ever...what kind of tweet was that from a professional broadcaster.....

Ha, it got better after that..
    https://twitter.com/carltonkirby/status/1014974459214794755?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Hurrache wrote: »

Hes a lad that i wish was aiming for his head when he shot himself in the foot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Phil Liggett used to have similiar gra for one Lance Armstrong!

Carlton was so busy cheering on Cav in the sprint today that he almost forgot to pay attention to the 5 riders that beat him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

mloc123 wrote: »
    Carlton was so busy cheering on Cav in the sprint today that he almost forgot to pay attention to the 5 riders that beat him.

9 riders beat him

Eamonnator wrote: »
    9 riders beat him

He let them finish ahead of him as he knows that they need it more than he does. Or something charitable like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I like cav. He's older, more mellowed and seems like a nice guy. I wouldnt mind seeing him take a stage this year if possible.

I pray that quigley is commentating if he does though.

retalivity wrote: »
    I like cav. He's older, more mellowed and seems like a nice guy. I wouldnt mind seeing him take a stage this year if possible.

Looking at the overhead of the sprint from yesterday, he swerves badly when Sagan moves to pass him. I don't think he's gotten over the crashes, and it'll have to be a very 'clean' sprint if he's to win one again.

retalivity wrote: »

Cav does seem to have mellowed, but he was one grumpy fecker for years. I'd like to see him win a stage though, deserves to go out on a high. Chances of him catching Merckx's record seem remote now

coco0981 wrote: »
    Cav does seem to have mellowed, but he was one grumpy fecker for years. I'd like to see him win a stage though, deserves to go out on a high. Chances of him catching Merckx's record seem remote now

Cant stand him...arrogant and intimidating when at the top...now eating some humble pie and seems normal...but if back wining he will revert back...man child

Cant stand him...arrogant and intimating when at the top...now eating some humble pie and seems normal...but if back wining he will revert back...man child

You'll come around. You used to like Carlton and you've changed your mind on him!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    You'll come around. You used to like Carlton and you've changed your mind on him!

I never ever ever liked Carlton !!

I never ever ever liked Carlton !!

Ah now come on. Tell the truth and shame the devil.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He may have mellowed, but he was whining about other cyclists tactics and how they were dangerous to the BBC. The old, you know who they are etc

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Ah now come on. Tell the truth and shame the devil.

The first timei I heard him chuckle away to himself about wild boar or deride some local architecture or obsess about the same rider I knew how I felt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Gerry

I wasn't a major cav fan after some of his shenanigans in the Olympics ( maybe 5 years ago ) but agreed he is a nice guy. However Carlton cheerleading him on and encouraging the other presenters to do same is painful. I think Cav is now bemused with the attention.

• Advertisement
Advertisement