Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Absolutely crazy but we are following in the UK's footsteps as there is no policing or proper penalties to anyone doing wrong.

lets stop with the right wing remarks on crime and pretend like no one goes to jail ever, re-education etc in prison system don't work for most part in this country, once you go in once chances are you will be back because of the system.

However yes like UK we have huge community policing issues,cut backs are ****, only reacting to crime now their is very little prevention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Hi all, BeOne Moko 140 full sus mountain bike taken from Dun Laoghaire. Has Rockshox dropper post. New Shimano br-mt520 brakes. Black with grey and red stripe. Will add photo later. Any leads appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Not sure if I should be posting this here but there's an ad on Donedeal that I've responded to. I've put in an offer but they can only deliver and won't entertain me collecting. The bike is really cheap and my hackles are up. Mods, can I post a link to it here as I really think this is a stolen bike

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you think it's a stolen bike, report it to donedeal. you're into possible slander/libel territory if you were to claim here that it may be stolen.

don't forget boards is owned by the same people as donedeal. unfortunately without someone claiming to be the owner, it's probably not actionable, i suspect.

if you think it's a stolen bike, report it to donedeal. you're into possible slander/libel territory if you were to claim here that it may be stolen.

don't forget boards is owned by the same people as donedeal. unfortunately without someone claiming to be the owner, it's probably not actionable, i suspect.

OK, thanks. I've had no response since replying that I'd prefer to meet face to face to buy. Definitely suspicious and I'll report to Donedeal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Are they not suggesting meeting in person rather than you calling to their house?
    A friend of mine spotted his stolen bike on Adverts. Seller had a lot of ads for stolen bikes going back over a year and he would only agree to meet at public places to meet buyers.

Effects wrote: »
    Are they not suggesting meeting in person rather than you calling to their house?
    A friend of mine spotted his stolen bike on Adverts. Seller had a lot of ads for stolen bikes going back over a year and he would only agree to meet at public places to meet buyers.

Nope, will post only as they 'work round the clock'!

Ha, wouldn't touch them at all so! Are they even going to send a bike? How were they asking for payment?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ask them to send a photo of the serial number on the frame. i'm curious as to what the response would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Rechuchote wrote: »

A load of tech isn't going to solve anything here. We already have a bike registration scheme, with Garda participation. The 'irrefutable proof' isn't the issue that needs solving.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Young fella selling this canyon on facebook for 200 quid....
    Definitely smells

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

some good news from the boys & girls in blue:

image.png

several posts deleted in relation to a possible lead on a stolen bike; best of luck with getting the bike back

https://twitter.com/becksdoyle/status/1141482042313662464

can you ping me if anyone spots this for sale in the usual spots?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You've gotta ask yourself though - why leave a nice bike like that at a bloody Luas stop? No excuse for the theft but I'd have thought an owner is gambling big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

MojoMaker wrote: »
    You've gotta ask yourself though - why leave a nice bike like that at a bloody Luas stop? No excuse for the theft but I'd have thought an owner is gambling big time.

You'd hope we live in a country where the thief is the one gambling...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mp2012

The following two bikes were stolen from a shed last night outside Tullow, Co. Carlow.

A Giant TCR advanced 1 and a brand new Giant Liv langma Advanced 1.

Giant TCR Advanced 1 Medium, full Ultegra, Novatec carbon wheels and has bright orange bar tape along with fizik Antares saddle.

Giant Liv langma Advanced 1 Small, full Ultegra, a selle Italia lady flow saddle and fulcrum 3 wheels.

https://www.facebook.com/seamus.dalton.7/posts/1266470273513826

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭ALS

From the back window of my job I can see into houses just off Sherrif St. there is a house which has at least 30 bikes out the back and they seem to change very regularly ? I’ve no proof but I’d guess they are probably stolen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ALS wrote: »
    From the back window of my job I can see into houses just off Sherrif St. there is a house which has at least 30 bikes out the back and they seem to change very regularly ? I’ve no proof but I’d guess they are probably stolen

Report it, find the property using eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

Dawes 200 giro early 1990’s - silver frame with brooks brown leather saddle - similar to bike in pic
    stolen on Stephen Street lower by the scum of the earth - who won’t work for a days wages and deprive people of sustainable transport. Sentimental value
    Reward of 200 Euro and 50 euro to choice of charity for any info leading to recovery of bike - thanks for reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

You'd hope we live in a country where the thief is the one gambling...

Cops won't tackle bike theft because if they crack down on it, thieves will change their habits. It might cause a move from theft of property to crime to the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

Similar to this bike but with brown brooks saddle and red handlebar tape

Cops won't tackle bike theft because if they crack down on it, thieves will change their habits. It might cause a move from theft of property to crime to the person.

So they let bike theft happen to keep crims busy with small scale crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

They just haven't thought it through. Bike theft is the classic gateway crime that gets young people into the criminal world. If the Gardaí targeted it, and the courts sentenced appropriately (throwing social work and training at the kids caught doing it; taking thoughtful steps on dcults caught repeatedly doing it), they could end it, and a lot of other crimes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Most major cities do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Rechuchote wrote: »
    They just haven't thought it through. Bike theft is the classic gateway crime that gets young people into the criminal world. If the Gardaí targeted it, and the courts sentenced appropriately (throwing social work and training at the kids caught doing it; taking thoughtful steps on dcults caught repeatedly doing it), they could end it, and a lot of other crimes too.

you've hammered home on something here, courts acting in way that may benefit the offender too, prison system doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Between 4 and 12 thousand bicycles stolen every year, each worth on average €510 , you have to wonder where they are. Where have the 40- 120,000 bicycle stolen in the last 10 years gone?

Are they being exported?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/scale-of-bicycle-theft-in-dublin-putting-people-off-cycling-1.3860235

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I know the Guards have been searching bike shops in the City Centre, my buddy's shop was visited by the Guards recently enough, checking for bikes that looked stolen and actually seized bikes that had no paperwork to back them up. Of course they had arrived when he was in the gym :rolleyes: Once he returned it was sorted and he got the bikes back but the explanation from the Guards was actually reasonable, there was a bike that looked like it was for sale (it wasn't, one of the lads is upgrading his groupset) and it still had a Garmin mount attached and the Guards reasoning was if he was selling a bike he'd remove the mount and speed sensor.

Once the paperwork was presented for the bikes all was well.

While this approach was heavy handed in the beginning and completely up the wrong tree this time they won't get it wrong every time and long may this kind of enforcement continue. An honest shop has nothing to worry about.

Advertisement