Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100km Charity Cycle

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Jelly Babies, Banana and some kind of Flapjack.

Unless you're going balls out to set a quick time, or racing, or maybe doing something really long, I wouldn't bother with gels. I've them in my pocket just in case, but rarely have I bothered using them. I'd be more inclined to have some sort of electrolyte tablet/powder in a bottle though. Normally one with some, and one just water.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

For 100+ Sportives I usually take a few bars of chocolate and a banana also and eat after the first 45-60minutes.

Try and find a group your comfortable staying with from the start and ignore the over eager cyclists bombing off at the start.

I done a 135km sportive a few years ago where my fitness wasnt great at the time but I knew I’d get round it ok. I was in an average paced group from the start but it gradually broke up as riders tired and trailed off. In the end up 6 of us finished together and we passed loads of cyclists along the second half who had burned out and trailed off the pace.

My average speed for the day was just over 28.6kmph and there was just over 1000m of climbing. My average speed on solo rides was in around 26/27kmph.

If you can get in with a good bunch then you’ll be fine.

https://strava.app.link/iZbAowiqkX

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Big bowl of porridge for breakfast then as above jelly babies, banana and a soft bar of some sort, Nutri Grain maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Wouldn't bother with gels, can be hard on tummy, i find a generous bowl of porridge your only man. I did a 94 km spin last sat, 80km Avg 30.5 kph, the last 14km i used as a cool down avg 25.9kph. Usually bring a flapjack but forgot it, porridge got me through.
    Pace your spin and take fluid on at regular intervals, dehydration is your enemy , best of luck with it.
    Happen to be doing Jack &Jill 100km spin in Gorey in the morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

remember, if you wheelie all the way, you reduce mechanical drag by 50%.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how did you fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Hey Lads,

So Unfortunately I couldn't compete, Wife woke up Saturday and was poorly so had to rush to the doctor.

Feel S*it i didnt get a chance at it but the brightside is I got back on the fitness track and the charity still got a few bob off me (obviously the wife being ok is a plus also!)

But im not going to let it get the best of me, as it's a goal I want to complete.

I plan on cycling from my house in Gorey to my parents in Donnybrook, Maps say its 92KM (when I choose cycling).

Im just confused as to the route it takes, has anyone done it?

It tells me at Arklow - the At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto the N11 ramp to Dublin/Wicklow (exit 20)

This road is 120 Km/PH and most definitely a motorway (M11). it then advises to come off at exit 17 and continue that way to bray, shankill etc until the dual carriageway at Loughlinstown.

Where i would have maybe come out at the N11 at coynes cross and continued to Bray before the M11 starts again.

Has anyone done this route or part of it and can advise whats best? if I can do what google maps tells me happy days, but almost sure I cant.

Thanks again for the support the past few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Choose options in google maps and you can select cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

fitzparker wrote: »

yeah, don't cycle on the motorway. There's a parallel road along that whole section, the R772 which is quiet and has a good surface. Then at Wicklow you need to head towards the town, onto the ring-road and then up the coast via Rathnew, Kilcoole, Bray etc.

• Advertisement

That's the way I thought it would send me, using the "old road" along side jack whites etc.

it's strange it gave the motorway

just checked, same for me too, it tells me to use the motorway even though i definitely have cycling selected.

Hey Lads,

So Unfortunately I couldn't compete, Wife woke up Saturday and was poorly so had to rush to the doctor.

Feel S*it i didnt get a chance at it but the brightside is I got back on the fitness track and the charity still got a few bob off me (obviously the wife being ok is a plus also!)

But im not going to let it get the best of me, as it's a goal I want to complete.

I plan on cycling from my house in Gorey to my parents in Donnybrook, Maps say its 92KM (when I choose cycling).

Im just confused as to the route it takes, has anyone done it?

It tells me at Arklow - the At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto the N11 ramp to Dublin/Wicklow (exit 20)

This road is 120 Km/PH and most definitely a motorway (M11). it then advises to come off at exit 17 and continue that way to bray, shankill etc until the dual carriageway at Loughlinstown.

Where i would have maybe come out at the N11 at coynes cross and continued to Bray before the M11 starts again.

Has anyone done this route or part of it and can advise whats best? if I can do what google maps tells me happy days, but almost sure I cant.

Thanks again for the support the past few weeks

So was it the Jack & Jill charity spin in Gorey on Sat thst you had entered ?
    Did it myself, to my shame i went off the course, unintentionally, ended up improvising and doing my version of 100km :).
    If you are based in Gorey, tag along to corner of Dunnes stores, near Revolve bike shop, 9:30 am Sat and Sun, there's a touring section in the Gorey cc club. You can do 3 spins then you either join or not .

Head down old n11 to Arklow, into Arklow on to road to brittas bay, you will zig zag across motorway on the old road which runs parallel with motorway as far as jack whites, and to beehive. On google maps it looks like you are on motorway, zoom in the old road is right beside motorway for long stretches. Into Rathnew, Newcastle, Kilcoole, Greystones , and on to Cabinteely, Doneybrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

I get route options via Baltinglass and Blessington.

Could always go gorey, Arklow, woodenbridge, aughrim, rathdrum, Laragh, Wicklow Gap, aquick spin around lakedrive, Lacken, manor Kilbride, brittas, Tallaght, rathfarnham, churchtown, Donnybrook. Much nicer :)

secman wrote: »
    So was it the Jack & Jill charity spin in Gorey on Sat thst you had entered ?
    Did it myself, to my shame i went off the course, unintentionally, ended up improvising and doing my version of 100km :).
    If you are based in Gorey, tag along to corner of Dunnes stores, near Revolve bike shop, 9:30 am Sat and Sun, there's a touring section in the Gorey cc club. You can do 3 spins then you either join or not .

Yeah that's the one. haha at least you did it :rolleyes: did many turn up

Thanks I'll look into it!

Head down old n11 to Arklow, into Arklow on to road to brittas bay, you will zig zag across motorway on the old road which runs parallel with motorway as far as jack whites, and to beehive. On google maps it looks like you are on motorway, zoom in the old road is right beside motorway for long stretches. Into Rathnew, Newcastle, Kilcoole, Greystones , and on to Cabinteely, Doneybrook.

This was the route I was thinking, will give it a go and just improvise!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Could always go gorey, Arklow, woodenbridge, aughrim, rathdrum, Laragh, Wicklow Gap, aquick spin around lakedrive, Lacken, manor Kilbride, brittas, Tallaght, rathfarnham, churchtown, Donnybrook. Much nicer :)

Agreed and for the sake of a reasonably modest extra climb and stonking descent, I'd probably take out Tallaght there and throw in Ballinascorney / Bohernabreena as the route to Rathfarnham.

Yeah that's the one. haha at least you did it :rolleyes: did many turn up

Thanks I'll look into it!

About 300 all in , including the family spin, the 50km & 100 km.

• Advertisement
Advertisement