Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100km Charity Cycle

Options
  • 29-05-2019 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

6 weeks ago I signed up to do the above, I got married in March and haven't got back into my routine so wanted something to aim for and get fitter.

with 10 days to go (june 8th) I haven't done as much as i should, Iv upped my cardio (treadmill,Gym bike), done around 5 spin classes ( will get another 3 in) but havent got out on the bike at all really, I did 1 20km(55 mins) cycle and 1 35km cycle(1:31).

Im now starting to doubt there is a point doing it if, do you guys think its possible? it's a proper charity one, pitstop at 50km for drinks etc then everyone goes off again, I just feel i'll be the one coming last 2 hours after everyone else.

with kids and that its hard to get out for 2 or 3 hours, is there anything i can do in 10 days to turn it around?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

fitzparker wrote: »
    Hi All,

6 weeks ago I signed up to do the above, I got married in March and haven't got back into my routine so wanted something to aim for and get fitter.

with 10 days to go (june 8th) I haven't done as much as i should, Iv upped my cardio (treadmill,Gym bike), done around 5 spin classes ( will get another 3 in) but havent got out on the bike at all really, I did 1 20km(55 mins) cycle and 1 35km cycle(1:31).

Im now starting to doubt there is a point doing it if, do you guys think its possible? it's a proper charity one, pitstop at 50km for drinks etc then everyone goes off again, I just feel i'll be the one coming last 2 hours after everyone else.

with kids and that its hard to get out for 2 or 3 hours, is there anything i can do in 10 days to turn it around?

If you in a y way fit and have a comfortable bike and the event is properly managed you'll have no problems to be honest. They tend to run at a relatively slow pace for charity cycles, pack some food on your bike (jellies, nutrigrain bars etc) and make sure you have full water bottles setting out. During the pitstop make sure you eat and you'll be grand. You'll be a bit stiff the day after but you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

Agreed.

The other thing I would say is to avoid the temptation to over-exercise and cram too much in between now and the day of the event - recovery is very important too - so definitely get a few more sessions under your belt, but don't go overboard - you'll pay for it in the end :)

My first ever sportive (with negligible preparation, and on a loaned bike) was around 100km - albeit on a flattish route - the first two thirds of the route went surprisingly well, and the legs started to tire during the last third. Legs were a bit stiff for a few days afterwards, but it's definitely do-able, and I've never looked back since!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Cheers all bit of relieve, My bike is fairly decent it is a starter Giant road bike.

my plan for the next 10 days is:

35km today
    Spin class thurs
    40-50km Friday
    35km Monday
    Spin Tues
    Spin thursday

a few Gym sessions in between for my own enjoyment :)

event Saturday

Hopefully that will do me!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

You'll definitely manage it, you'll be surprised what you can do with a few people around you and the spirit of the event.

I would counsel to rest Thursday and Friday, don't be hitting the gym or spin classes or what have you, at most do a gentle spin on Friday to make sure the bike is in working order for your own peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

It will be fine. top tip is to eat plenty. important to keep the body fuelled.
    after that take it nice an handy and you will make it no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If you can do 50km without any problems then you’ll manage 100km too. Eat and drink regularly particularly in the first half and don’t sit around too long at the rest stop.

If you can get a bottle of boost or other energy drink at the rest stop and throw it into you, you’ll be surprised at the ‘boost’ it’ll give you especially if you don’t normally buy those type of drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Took a mate on the yellow furze sportive two weeks ago. 100km with 1000 meters of elevation. He weighed 96kg and had done 40km this year and 1000km last year. Fitness in the toilet. He got around grand (3hr 59minutes). You will fly around it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect his fitness was not in the toilet if he managed a 100km ride in less than 4 hours.

i suspect his fitness was not in the toilet if he managed a 100km ride in less than 4 hours.

Average of about 140 watts. I could manage that my first day on a bike after smoking for 10 years and doing no cardio for 3 with a BMI of 33. Id consider that fitness in the toilet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i must have been very unfit so, my first day back on the bike after several years (just checked on strava) was a 14km cycle, flat route, at 25km/h, and i felt like death warmed up after. i think i overstimated my fitness and chose too hard a gear though, should have spun it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My experience of cycling 100km charity rides with people for whom cycling is not their main sport is that they tend to blast off at a ridiculous place and then blow up after 90 mins and crawl the rest of the way.

So take it easy for the first hour or two and you'll be fine.

Thanks All, I just had it in my head that everyone will be cycling clubs and they will smoke me and ill be a few hours after everyone else to finish, not actually thinking its a charity cycle and there will be all sorts doing it. Underestimated my fitness but think ill be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

Lumen wrote: »
    My experience of cycling 100km charity rides with people for whom cycling is not their main sport is that they tend to blast off at a ridiculous place and then blow up after 90 mins and crawl the rest of the way.

So take it easy for the first hour or two and you'll be fine.

Yes - a good point. I do quite a few sportives and regularly observe all the very keen/newer cyclists tend to place themselves up near the start line, maybe get a few photos etc - we're all human and it's only natural, I'd be lying if I said I didn't do the same thing myself when I first started out - the problem being that you invariably end up out front in a fast group, busting yourself, hanging on for dear life, and ultimately blowing up. Pacing is definitely key - try to get into a group with a comfortable pace and let the speedy guys/girls tear away...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭hesker

Yeah. That doesn’t add up.

I’m in my 50s and reasonably fit. 100km with 1000m climbing would take me about 3:45. With help from groups in parts it would be about 3:30.

What I’ve found is that once your active it doesn’t take that much to stay active. When I did my first 100km after years of no cycling I was in bits afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Average of about 140 watts. I could manage that my first day on a bike after smoking for 10 years and doing no cardio for 3 with a BMI of 33. Id consider that fitness in the toilet.

140 watts for 4 hours is far from unfit. far far far.

His w/kg is about 1.5. If you Google w/kg chart the lowest it goes to for ftp is 1.86. Let's say hes ftp is 1.86 and hes riding at endurance for the four hours which would match up to the 1.5 he did. This puts him in the lowest untrained class on the chart possibly below it. Or as I would call it for a man in his 30s..... Fitness in the toilet

i found that chart; it goes from 'untrained' in the lowest category to 'racing cyclist cat 5' in the next lowest.
    i would dearly love to know what they mean by 'untrained'. i suspect it does not mean 'unfit', but 'not training for racing'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

I would skip teh ride you are planning for today tbh. You will still have tiredness from that on Saturday imo. Better to rest and save your energy for teh 100km coming up.

i found that chart; it goes from 'untrained' in the lowest category to 'racing cyclist cat 5' in the next lowest. i would dearly love to know what they mean by 'untrained'. i suspect it does not mean 'unfit', but 'not training for racing'.

Another chart like it which shows the percentile of cyclists in each category of which the one I stated my friend was in the lowest 5 percentile of cyclists. What would you use to define fitness?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

His w/kg is about 1.5. If you Google w/kg chart the lowest it goes to for ftp is 1.86. Let's say hes ftp is 1.86 and hes riding at endurance for the four hours which would match up to the 1.5 he did. This puts him in the lowest untrained class on the chart possibly below it. Or as I would call it for a man in his 30s..... Fitness in the toilet

Here is one that goes lower
    https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/PowerProfile.png

This goes down to 1.26 W/kg for male FTP, I suspect mine was even lower when I first started a couple of years ago :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Definitely less is more when it comes to the next 10 days. Cramming will have a negative impact as its probably too late to make any big changes to your fitness. its better to feel fresh in your legs on the day.

What would you use to define fitness?
    that being able to cycle 100km with 1km of climbing in less than 4 hours does not imply fitness being 'in the toilet', that's all.

that being able to cycle 100km with 1km of climbing in less than 4 hours does not imply fitness being 'in the toilet', that's all.

I suppose it's subjective then and it will differ from person to person. Anyway the OP should make it around fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

100km @ 25km/h is pretty good going. Describing it as being "in the toilet" is not helpful to anyone, Lance.

loyatemu wrote:
    100km @ 25km/h is pretty good going. Describing it as being "in the toilet" is not helpful to anyone, Lance.

Pretty good going compared to what?. What's the baseline for decent fitness, what metric would you use. Lance comment over the top no?. Grow up!.

We were simple debating what we would measure as decent fitness and we settled on that it was subjective. Oddly enough was talking to my mate and he considered his fitness that bad you couldn't flush it down the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭lissard

Cheers all bit of relieve, My bike is fairly decent it is a starter Giant road bike.

my plan for the next 10 days is:

35km today
    Spin class thurs
    40-50km Friday
    35km Monday
    Spin Tues
    Spin thursday

a few Gym sessions in between for my own enjoyment :)

event Saturday

Hopefully that will do me!

Watch out for overtraining next week. I would seriously consider tapering after Tuesday. My rule of thumb for leisure events is try having a weekly mileage total roughly equivalent to the big event 2 weeks before the event. After that taper. E.g for me the W200 is next week, I'll have 200k in the legs this week and after tomorrow I'll be resting up for a couple of days. Good luck, it sounds like it will be no bother to you.

Tomorrows the day, any last minute advise?

going to head to the bike shop to pick up a couple of the energy gels.

Went out on the bike for 30 mins yesterday just to make sure all was in order.

banana and weetabix ok for breakfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Yep have a good breakfast but nothing spectacular - you don't want to stuff yourself or leave your guts in a knot.
    Don't horse the gels in from the get go. They can be tough on the stomach too if you're not used to them. Advice is to take them up to an hour before they're needed so depending on how you're feeling you could assess if you need to take one at around the 50 km mark.

All in all you might be 5.30 or 6 hours from start to finish including stops. I wouldn't kill myself aiming for a time, getting to the 100 km mark is your victory.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If you haven't used energy gels before I seriously wouldn't bother, they could just make you puke and aren't really needed. Better a pack of jellies in your back pocket and just take one every now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Yeah they really don't suit some people at all and in the middle of a struggle is a bad place to find out. I definitely wouldn't take the strong caffeine ones without some kind of test on yourself beforehand. Personally I don't like them but feel they definitely help when I'm in the pits, maybe it's a mental thing. I'd bring one or two and use only in case of need.

Advertisement