Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drought/Low Rainfall Watch - Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

MJohnston wrote: »
    Phoenix Park starting to look very brown all around

AOQ7ljs.jpg

Looks like a scene from 'Little House on the Prairie".

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Alun wrote: »
    Saw a rather odd statement in one of the newspaper articles about this where they said that while filling a paddling pool from buckets filled from a tap was ok, filling one with a hosepipe was not.

They take a long time to fill, people using a hosepipe will walk away and leave it, and can easily end up overfilling it. Somebody using a bucket back and forth are going to give up once it's a few inches deep. And many people just won't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Just saw a guy near my road powerhosing his cars. Everything around is burnt yellow from lack of rain.

I powerhosed half my driveway a few weeks ago. Hopefully the Google streetview car won't be passing in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Well that rain that was expected for us down south yesterday never came, so the no rain weeks continues as the grass grows yellower in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

edit: wrong thread

• Advertisement

Current outlook:

sk-2017_04_article_main_mobile.jpg

New Moon

oh look, its the Wicklow mountains in that picture Oneiric! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Sunshine totals (hours) for Irish stations from the 21st June-1st July 2018.

A cloudier day generally yesterday across much of the country though Dublin still had quite a sunny day.

The cloudier conditions have made some stations fall back somewhat with Dublin Airport and Casement Aerodrome in first and second place.

Station|21 Jun|22 Jun|23 Jun|24 Jun|25 Jun|26 Jun|27 Jun|28 Jun|29 Jun|30 Jun|1 Jul|Total
    Belmullet|12.7|13.6|14.2|15.8|14.0|11.2|15.4|15.9|15.3|9.5|3.0|140.6
    Casement Aerodrome|14.1|15.8|13.4|14.8|10.7|9.8|12.8|15.8|15.8|15.5|12.3|150.8
    Cork Airport|13.2|15.7|14.8|14.9|11.7|11.8|15.5|15.7|15.5|12.1|6.7|147.6
    Dublin Airport|12.9|15.6|14.4|15.6|12.5|11.3|13.8|15.9|15.8|15.5|14.0|157.3
    Gurteen|8.1|14.7|15.5|15.9|11.0|12.2|13.7|15.8|15.9|13.6|6.2|142.6
    Johnstown Castle|2.9|15.8|15.5|5.6|14.0|11.6|15.9|15.5|15.8|15.6|8.1|136.3
    Knock Airport|10.8|10.9|13.7|16.0|12.6|10.7|14.7|15.2|15.3|11.2|0.2|131.3
    Malin Head|12.7|10.9|12.6|15.2|14.8|8.4|16.4|16.5|5.9|13.7|0.1|127.2
    Shannon Airport|13.3|15.1|15.6|15.2|10.5|13.3|14.7|15.5|15.4|11.7|8.2|148.5
    Valentia Observatory|12.3|15.3|15.5|15.5|11.1|14.5|14.1|15.3|15.1|14.1|7.2|150.0

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

MJohnston wrote: »
    Well technically the hosepipe ban doesn't start until Monday, I suppose.

On the way in to work on the bus this morning, spotted a DLR Co Co worker watering the flowers planted on a traffic island on the Blackrock bypass using a hose running from a bowser on the back of a truck.

I don't know if this activity is technically exempt from the ban or not but the optics were terrible if the authorities are relying of appealing to people's sense of responsibility to take the ban seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

xper wrote: »
    On the way in to work on the bus this morning, spotted a DLR Co Co worker watering the flowers planted on a traffic island on the Blackrock bypass using a hose running from a bowser on the back of a truck.

I don't know if this activity is technically exempt from the ban or not but the optics were terrible if the authorities are relying of appealing to people's sense of responsibility to take the ban seriously.

Yeah, the ban applies to domestic use only, so the councils would be exempt, and if it's from a truck bowser, then it's probably (hopefully) 'waste' water.

But as you say, it's a bad example to set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

oh look, its the Wicklow mountains in that picture Oneiric! :D

Jokes aside, it would probably take another couple of months of this weather to dry up the Dublin/Wicklow mountains. Here's a pic taken yesterday, lots of surface water still around so you can only imagine the amount stored up in the boggy ground beneath. I never thought I'd take a picture of a puddle in Ireland thinking it was unusual :pac:

6Odsfn8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

I’m finding the most recent weather model outlooks to be quite disturbing. We would appear to be in line for a real water crisis going on the latest outputs which in fact show high pressure strengthening next week. I would love to see some rain forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Just had a look through the cams at https://www.tiitraffic.ie/cams/

Junção cinco, Finglãsa :pac:

9lLwcN2.jpg

EDIT: Here you can see brown leaves on the trees at the bottom left.

jZUCd78.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Rougies wrote: »
    Just had a look through the cams at https://www.tiitraffic.ie/cams/

Junção cinco, Finglãsa :pac:

9lLwcN2.jpg

Looks like Arizona or California.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Is the dry and hot spell expected to carry on well into July? Would it be prudent to stock some bottled water or am I being OTT? We have been conserving the water in our household since long before the imposed ban - it didn't take a genius to see there were going to be problems ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Is the dry and hot spell expected to carry on well into July? Would it be prudent to stock some bottled water or am I being OTT? We have been conserving the water in our household since long before the imposed ban - it didn't take a genius to see there were going to be problems ahead.

As our 2ltr containers of milk have been used I've been cleaning them & filling them with water & storing them in the fridge.
    Better to have it & not need it than to need it and not have .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Bananaleaf wrote: »

Possibly OTT. If there are water shortages, we'll have to eventually queue up at a tanker and will need to boil that water. My opinion is that storing water now, for that kind of eventuality doesnt pay off. Probably depends a lot on where you live.

MetLuver wrote: »
    Looks like Arizona or California.

Can you imagine not only being stuck with kind of weather for 90% of the year, but being stuck with this weather surrounded by millions of Californians? A disturbing thought.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Can you imagine not only being stuck with kind of weather for 90% of the year, but being stuck with this weather surrounded by millions of Californians? A disturbing thought.

I lived in California for a year and a half. The only good thing about the weather was the extremely fresh guacamole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The last of the green patches disappearing in the estate here this morning

20180702_121537.jpg

There's some random places around the town where the grass is still fully green though, can't imagine its all being watered so don't know why some areas are faring so much worse than others. Must be just soil with better water retention I'd guess?

• Advertisement

Same here Donegal Storm. My estate is pretty bad but the estate below me is more green with less patches. Some parts are totally yellow in other estates etc. strange one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There’s an autumn vibe here in D7 with the amount of leaves that have come off the trees over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ms2011 wrote: »
    As our 2ltr containers of milk have been used I've been cleaning them & filling them with water & storing them in the fridge.
    Better to have it & not need it than to need it and not have .

Wasting water cleaning them then hoarding it. Imagine the pull on water if everyone carried on like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think Fedex messed up and delivered your summer to us and vice versa. Normally 26 C here, last three days 15-17 C, non-stop drizzle, grass very green, don't have to water the garden. The next thing I expect is decent conversation in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

And an unnatural interest in the weather as a national pastime! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This is the Slaney just outside Enniscorthy. A few weeks ago the dry, exposed gravel banks were under water. Normally they are covered by water,it shows how much the water level has dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

This is the Slaney just outside Enniscorthy. A few weeks ago the dry, exposed gravel banks were under water. Normally they are covered by water,it shows how much the water level has dropped.

Glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The last of the green patches disappearing in the estate here this morning

20180702_121537.jpg

There's some random places around the town where the grass is still fully green though, can't imagine its all being watered so don't know why some areas are faring so much worse than others. Must be just soil with better water retention I'd guess?

Probably soil temperature. Verges, etc., near pavements and roads will probably heat up much more than a larger lawn or green would. Once the ground temperature goes above 24 °C the grass shuts down. These browner patches most likely have been above 24 for more hours than other greener parts.

Of course retention would also be a factor alright.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Is it impossible or at least highly unlikely that this dry spell could last unbroken till September/October? I know that in past "normal" years Septembers have often been drier/sunnier than the summer months. So if that were to happen this year we would really be in deep trouble.

Advertisement