Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sweirdo

Hi girls, long time lurker but first time poster!

Just wondering if anyone has had the copper coil inserted on the medical card? I know it covers the hormonal ones, not sure about the copper.

Thanks in advance X

I don't have an answer for you, but I got the copper coil back in Germany, so any information on where and how to get an appointment to get it replaced over here would be helpful. It's still a few years for me, but better to know than not to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

woodchuck wrote: »
    Thanks a mill :) Yeah I'm excepting a speculum to get whipped out anyway :(

I'm hoping I won't get the Spanish inquisition about my sexual activities though :eek:

I bled during my last smear and she then asked me if I bleed after intercourse. I have done very infrequently, but itd be pretty unnoticable amongst the fluids that come out when I go to the loo after sex. She never asked anything about the type of intercourse I have.

She then sent me into the Coombe to be looked at using camera and dye - yer women didnt ask me anything at all re intercourse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Bredabe

sweirdo wrote: »
    I don't have an answer for you, but I got the copper coil back in Germany, so any information on where and how to get an appointment to get it replaced over here would be helpful. It's still a few years for me, but better to know than not to know.

Some Gp's will put it in for you, but my 1st port of call for such things are the well woman/ifpa websites, they can put it in either afaik but they have all the info on there or if you call them.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

My Doc is after referring me to Hollis St for fitting of the copper coil as she doesn't fit it, she only does the marina.
    I have my prescription for the device which she said should cost around €35. Does anyone know how much they charge in Holles st for the fitting?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just a point on the cost of the Mirena. Mine was covered under the DPS scheme. I couldn't get a second one as I had some grapefruit sized fibroids (go me!).

I have since had the Uterine arterial embolisation procedure and that has put an end to the nonsense. If anyone has any queries re the embolisation to deal with menorrhagia, please PM.

Recently I have been sleeping very deeply. So deeply in fact that I find when the alarm goes off in the morning I wake up and realise immediately I am bursting to use the loo. This doesnt seem to happen so much in the summer, I think its part of winter time causing me to snuggle right in and stay cosy. I always sleep better in wintertime.

However, its actually gotten so bad that last week I gave myself a sore bladder for about 3 days from waking up one morning bursting to go. When i say a sore bladder, I had the sensation of needing to go for about 3 days after I woke up bursting. When i went there was no "sting" or pain passing water. Nor did I have any other symptoms I would associate with cystitis, I was as strong as ever in the gym (which is where I would usually notice an illness even before other symptoms), and my urine wasnt cloudy or unusual.

I just had the sensation of a sore achey bladder. I took anti inflammatories for a day or two and that settled it down a lot. Then it just cleared up by itself. Bizarrely drinking loads of water to flush it out seems to make it more irritated whereas just drinking a normal amount seems to let it settle a bit.

This morning, same thing, woke up bursting to go. Not as bad as last week and I am not sore now - but a close call.

How can I stop this from happening? During the summer I seem to naturally wake up to use the loo during the night from time to time. But in winter I just go comatose.

I might add that I dont drink a lot of fluid before bed specifically.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

This may not be of any help to you but I find if I drink a lot of water it tends to go straight through me whereas if I drink the same amount of liquid but of green tea or peppermint tea, it's less likely I will be needing a pee right away. Maybe try a change in your drinking habits? Less near bedtime (I know you said you don't drink much before bed but try not at all other than a few sips after a certain time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Mod

Experiences can be shared but not any medical advice.

If the symptoms persist it may be worth a trip to the doctor.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Mod

Experiences can be shared but not any medical advice.

If the symptoms persist it may be worth a trip to the doctor.

Oh Im not looking for medical advice at all, Ive seen a doc for it in the past - it does tend to happen me in winter from time to time. Last year they went into a full investigation with a camera in the bladder etc..

There is nothing the medical community can do for me - the consultant says that its simply from holding too long because Im deeply asleep. In fact, some people have the opposite problem in that they dont hold it in sleep and wet the bed. But I seem to be a holder.

The doc simply recommends emptying bladder fully before bed, but as explained - thats not working all the time for me.

If anyone has any ideas for me to wake up and use the loo during the night - without setting an alarm clock and thoroughly waking myself up, Id be glad to hear them.

Last night it was on my mind and I woke up to use the loo around midnight.

My GP surgery has a sleep therapist. She deal with sleep issues. Could something like that help?

If it’s winter time that it happens in, it could be something to do with your circadian rhythm, which usually works off light. When we have less light, our body does strange things. It’s the premise of SAD. Could something like a light box help? Sit in front of it for a while, your body might not require as much sleep? Or as deep a sleep?

• Advertisement

My GP surgery has a sleep therapist. She deal with sleep issues. Could something like that help?

If it’s winter time that it happens in, it could be something to do with your circadian rhythm, which usually works off light. When we have less light, our body does strange things. It’s the premise of SAD. Could something like a light box help? Sit in front of it for a while, your body might not require as much sleep? Or as deep a sleep?

Already tried a light box. No difference.

I actually feel very lucky that I sleep so deeply generally because I really wake up refreshed. I fall asleep so easily.

Although I have worried before that I can find it very very difficult to wake up sometimes. If I dont have to get up for an alarm, for work or whatever, I will just continue to drift in and out of sleep for an alarmingly long time - I will even have lucid moments where I tell myself to get up but then I drift off again. Its different when the alarm goes off, I just roll over and get up.

When I oversleep I feel awful, headachey and out of sorts. So I usually try to force myself out of bed even if I have nothing to get up for.

The same thing can happen when I oversleep wrt to needing to use the loo - I will have lucid thoughts where I am thinking "I need to get up to pee" but then my body just drifts back to sleep and I dont get up.

Once I get out of bed Im fine. Im usually in great form in the mornings, Im not a bad morning person or anything. And its not difficult to wake me by speaking to me or shaking my shoulder or anything.

Its just I feel like Im SO deeply asleep that its like getting dragged up out of a deep pit and I give up and go back asleep unless I have to get up.

Could you consider a sleep cycle analysis?

Could you consider a sleep cycle analysis?

Yes, I have thought about it alright.

Its seems a bit mad to say that I am worried because I sleep so well though! Plus - cost. I generally avoid anything medical unless absolutely necessary because of cost.

I usually just put it down to having a busy life, long commute, busy job, long hours, gym, study etc..... that I am both mentally and physically tired come 9.30pm and I go to bed by 10pm, fall asleep immediately, sleep great and get up at 6am and off I go again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm wondering how completely you empty your bladder? Have you tried peeing, and then just staying on the loo until a bit more comes out?

You're only sleeping for 8 hours, which seems like a reasonable amount of time to not need to wee, considering you aren't consuming any food or drinks during the night. So if you stop drinking a couple of hours before bed and completely empty your bladder before bed, you shouldn't make so much urine during the night that holding it in it problematic?

Faith wrote: »
    I'm wondering how completely you empty your bladder? Have you tried peeing, and then just staying on the loo until a bit more comes out?

You're only sleeping for 8 hours, which seems like a reasonable amount of time to not need to wee, considering you aren't consuming any food or drinks during the night. So if you stop drinking a couple of hours before bed and completely empty your bladder before bed, you shouldn't make so much urine during the night that holding it in it problematic?

I double void when I pee as Ive had recurring cystitis in the past so its just ingrained in me.

Sometimes going to bed I use the loo, then I read a bit, then I get up and go again just before I go to sleep. But Id still often need to go during the night or be dying to go when I wake up.

Is that not normal? My husband goes around 3 times during the night and when I lived at home I heard other people use the loo during the night too.

I thought everyone did.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

So you pee, read, pee again and are still dying for the loo when you wake up? That seems like an awful lot, do you drink a huge amount of water during the day? I'd try cutting back a little on the water if so, not just in the evenings but in general.

I don't think everyone gets up every night during the night to use the loo but some do. I've been seeing an acupuncturist for a different issue but one of the things he asked about was whether I pee during the night. He maintained that I should be able to get a full night's sleep without getting up to the loo every night. I've cut back on how much water I was drinking (far too much according to him, I was drinking 2-3 litres a day) and replaced it with green tea/peppermint tea and less of anything in the evenings. The volume of what I am drinking is less than it used to be. While I still get up occasionally for a wee, it is the exception rather than the rule now and while I might need a pee in the morning, I am rarely dying to go as soon as I open my eyes.

miamee wrote: »
    So you pee, read, pee again and are still dying for the loo when you wake up? That seems like an awful lot, do you drink a huge amount of water during the day? I'd try cutting back a little on the water if so, not just in the evenings but in general.

I dont always pee twice, but even if I do, I tend to either go again during the night or need to go upon waking.

I try to drink enough water through the day that my urine is clear. I am actually very bad at drinking water in work because I hate having to go to the loo all day. A couple of years ago i felt quite tired a lot in work and my urine wasnt clear all the time so I spoke to my GP and she said "drink more water" so I upped my water intake to about 2 litres in work and I felt much better - but it made me pee a lot more!

These days i probably drink 2 (or less) litres a day, and probably 2 or 3 cups of tea. Add in an extra litre of water on gym days.

I guess about 2 hours before bed I would have at least a big glass of water plus a cup of tea after dinner.

I asked the urologist I saw last year about pee-ing during the night and he just shrugged and said everyone has their own normal and some people do go every night and some dont. A bit like some have a bigger bladder capacity in general. My own experience living with other people is quite limited though (family home, then alone, then married), so I just thought it was normal to go at least once at night.

I dont think Id ever have an 8 hour stretch without pee-ing. Daytime or nighttime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

....... wrote: »
    Is that not normal? My husband goes around 3 times during the night and when I lived at home I heard other people use the loo during the night too.

I thought everyone did.

I do anyway! I don't go every night during the night, but I do go a lot of nights. Less so in winter though... sometimes I wake up needing to go, but I'll just hold it because the thoughts of getting out of a warm bed don't bare thinking about! I just try to drink less in the hour or 2 before I go to bed these days.

I'm not sure how normal it is or not though. One of the girls in work is pregnant atm and she keeps saying how awful it is having to get up to pee every night (once a night)... everyone was very sympathetic, but that's my life and I'm not even pregnant :P

I'm not sure how normal it is or not though.

The urologist I saw said it was more important to notice a change in your own "normal" than compare to other peoples normal because its an individual thing.

Ive always been a nighttime pee-er - so Im not so much worried that I need to pee during the night, but I would love suggestions on how to actually force myself out of the bed to to so when Im cosy and warm and its cold out rather than wake up with a sore bladder from holding!

• Advertisement

Would you consider a sleep therapist?

You might also get a response in the sleeping/dreaming forum.

Would you consider a sleep therapist?

You might also get a response in the sleeping/dreaming forum.

Can you see one on the public?

I would certainly see one, but funds these days kind of rule out anything totally unnecessary!

My gp clinic has one. I don’t know how much she charges.

My gp clinic has one. I don’t know how much she charges.

Ill ask my GP about it next time Im in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Neither my husband nor I ever pee during the night. If we do, it’s a fairly exceptional occurrence. But like you say, it’s your own normal that matters.

It sounds like you’re drinking a LOT. I wouldn’t think clear urine is common - a pale straw yellow would be about as clear as mine gets most times. I’d worry about flushing out too many essential salts if your urine is mostly clear.

I think the obvious solution is try cutting down on liquid. Either request quantity, or make a cut off of, say, 6pm, after which you don’t drink any more for the night.

The advice seems very variable re how much fluid to be drinking.

Ive had different advice from my GP than from the Urologist than from a variety of other healthcare workers over time.

A quick google suggests 2 litres which is about my norm except on gym days - which again, would be normal as Im sweating it out in the gym. Plus a couple of cups of tea a day.

I dont mean water coloured urine by the way - I mean pale yellow, but clear as in see through. When its either dark or cloudy its not see through.

As I said, Im unconcerned about either the amount of urine I produce or the frequency with which I need to pee - thats not the issue. The issue is that I am sleeping too heavily to listen to my bodies need to pee in winter time.

• Advertisement

While we're on the topic of water/pee... for an upcoming scan I've been told to drink 1.5 litres of water 40minutes before the appointment :eek: I don't know if that's even feasible... I'll give it a go, but I'm sure I'm going to be nauseous as hell. And if the appointment is delayed at all, I'll probably pee myself :(

While we're on the topic of water/pee... for an upcoming scan I've been told to drink 1.5 litres of water 40minutes before the appointment :eek: I don't know if that's even feasible... I'll give it a go, but I'm sure I'm going to be nauseous as hell. And if the appointment is delayed at all, I'll probably pee myself :(

Yeah I hate appointments where you need a full bladder.

They just need you to have a full bladder. If you end up needing to pee, go pee. But then drink more. Your bladder fills pretty quickly.

The hardest thing is the pain when they’re pressing on your tummy trying to find your ovaries/appendix/womb/etc and you have a full bladder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

They just need you to have a full bladder. If you end up needing to pee, go pee. But then drink more. Your bladder fills pretty quickly.

The hardest thing is the pain when they’re pressing on your tummy trying to find your ovaries/appendix/womb/etc and you have a full bladder.

Yep, and then you pee a little on the couch.

Speedsie wrote: »
    Yep, and then you pee a little on the couch.

Oh god, say it ain't so :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Oh god, say it ain't so :eek:

Only happened to me once after 4 or 5 full bladder the scans. Nothing dignified about the process at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Hi all,

I had the Mirena fitted almost 5 years ago in the Mater Private. It's due to be removed in June and I have some questions but I'm unsure if I go back to the consultant or my GP to ask the questions. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks

I’d start with your GP - they should be able to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Can anyone who was waiting on smear test results tell me where they found the online updates please?
    I can't find an option for it on the cervical check website.
    Thanks.

Go to the page "when is my next smear due?":
    https://apps.cervicalcheck.ie/check-eligibility/when-is-my-next-smear-test-due.596.checkeligibilityv2.html

It won't actually give you your results, but if it says your next smear is due in 3 years, that implies that your recent results are clear. You won't know for sure until you get a letter in the post though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Go to the page "when is my next smear due?":
    https://apps.cervicalcheck.ie/check-eligibility/when-is-my-next-smear-test-due.596.checkeligibilityv2.html

It won't actually give you your results, but if it says your next smear is due in 3 years, that implies that your recent results are clear. You won't know for sure until you get a letter in the post though.

Last time I checked it said something like "a test is in the system". Checked yesterday and it couldn't find my registration. Having had issues before it's made me nervous. Test was October so only about 10 weeks ago

Caranica wrote: »
    Last time I checked it said something like "a test is in the system". Checked yesterday and it couldn't find my registration. Having had issues before it's made me nervous. Test was October so only about 10 weeks ago

All clear letter in the post today! Such a relief :)

Just reading over the details for my appointment for the coil, it says no sex for three weeks before as they need to be sure you are not pregnant. Three weeks seems a bit much, especially if it has to be inserted during your period - kind if an indication of not being pregnant?! I looked up the NHS website & all their information say one week...
    Is this just an excessive Irish thing?

I wasn’t told anything like that before I had mine in. They did a pregnancy test and I was getting a d&c at the time though, so that might have changed things.

It says that that it is essential so that they can legally prove that you are not already pregnant on the day of insertion.

I'm very doubtful of the need to abstain for three weeks especially since I'm taking the pill, I think I will follow the NHS advise!

I was listing to the radio today & they were saying when the pill was first introduced, the the 7 pill free days were to please the Pope!! This kind of stuff makes mt feel like they are making it all up as they go along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Addle wrote: »
    Can anyone who was waiting on smear test results tell me where they found the online updates please?
    I can't find an option for it on the cervical check website.
    Thanks.

Hi Addle,
    I had a smear test in October and was told results would be 14 to 16 weeks. I rang GP today to check and was told it is now taking 26 weeks - that is 6 months - to get the results.

The week after I did my test my younger sister was diagnosed with cervical cancer. I rang the GP at the time to ask if I could have a private scan (not on the cervical smear scheme) but was told waiting times are the same for private.

jordata wrote: »
    Hi Addle,
    I had a smear test in October and was told results would be 14 to 16 weeks. I rang GP today to check and was told it is now taking 26 weeks - that is 6 months - to get the results.

The week after I did my test my younger sister was diagnosed with cervical cancer. I rang the GP at the time to ask if I could have a private scan (not on the cervical smear scheme) but was told waiting times are the same for private.

I had mine in late October and got the results at the start of January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Caranica wrote: »
    I had mine in late October and got the results at the start of January

If you don't mind me asking was this as part of the CervicalCheck Scheme? And was it a normal check or a follow up for abnormal smear? I wonder why I have been told 26 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

I had mine in November, I phoned last week, the cervical check number and they told me I could be waiting up until April/May for results.

jordata wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking was this as part of the CervicalCheck Scheme? And was it a normal check or a follow up for abnormal smear? I wonder why I have been told 26 weeks.

It was normal scheme but first time normal after about 50 million smear tests after abnormalities. Now maybe I'm still on an express list but I was surprised at how relatively quickly they arrived when the website said 20 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I expected a long wait, but will tests not go out of date after that length?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I had mine in August and only got results in January. I was told at the time it would be 12 weeks and then after about a month the wait had gone to 20 so I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone longer again. Mine was just over 20 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

My god - the wait for results has gotten so long now. I got my smear done last June and got the results in August. And I thought at the time that was peak smear campaign and awareness after the controversy. I know it's not nice waiting so long for the results. But it surely must be a good sign that a lot more women are coming forward to get their smear done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Addle wrote: »
    I expected a long wait, but will tests not go out of date after that length?

I had mine done yesterday and the nurse was saying that the vial she was using isn't out of date until 2021.

Luckily I have always had normal results and have no unusal symptoms, so I am not worried about the results. But I can't imagine having to wait up to 6 months if you were any way worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm currently in treatment for abnormal cells and had a procedure done where they call you back quite regularly to re-test you, I had my re-test in October and they told me there I won't have any news before 20 weeks.
    So even women that are currently on a treatment plan have to wait ages.
    I was even playing with the thought of going back home for a repeat of my results still aren't great and get it done there, I won't even wait a working week for results.

I'm so sorry that so many have to wait so long.

Advertisement