Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

sullivlo wrote: »
    Would you consider a sleep therapist?

You might also get a response in the sleeping/dreaming forum.

Can you see one on the public?

I would certainly see one, but funds these days kind of rule out anything totally unnecessary!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

My gp clinic has one. I don’t know how much she charges.

My gp clinic has one. I don’t know how much she charges.

Ill ask my GP about it next time Im in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Neither my husband nor I ever pee during the night. If we do, it’s a fairly exceptional occurrence. But like you say, it’s your own normal that matters.

It sounds like you’re drinking a LOT. I wouldn’t think clear urine is common - a pale straw yellow would be about as clear as mine gets most times. I’d worry about flushing out too many essential salts if your urine is mostly clear.

I think the obvious solution is try cutting down on liquid. Either request quantity, or make a cut off of, say, 6pm, after which you don’t drink any more for the night.

The advice seems very variable re how much fluid to be drinking.

Ive had different advice from my GP than from the Urologist than from a variety of other healthcare workers over time.

A quick google suggests 2 litres which is about my norm except on gym days - which again, would be normal as Im sweating it out in the gym. Plus a couple of cups of tea a day.

I dont mean water coloured urine by the way - I mean pale yellow, but clear as in see through. When its either dark or cloudy its not see through.

As I said, Im unconcerned about either the amount of urine I produce or the frequency with which I need to pee - thats not the issue. The issue is that I am sleeping too heavily to listen to my bodies need to pee in winter time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

While we're on the topic of water/pee... for an upcoming scan I've been told to drink 1.5 litres of water 40minutes before the appointment :eek: I don't know if that's even feasible... I'll give it a go, but I'm sure I'm going to be nauseous as hell. And if the appointment is delayed at all, I'll probably pee myself :(

woodchuck wrote: »
    While we're on the topic of water/pee... for an upcoming scan I've been told to drink 1.5 litres of water 40minutes before the appointment :eek: I don't know if that's even feasible... I'll give it a go, but I'm sure I'm going to be nauseous as hell. And if the appointment is delayed at all, I'll probably pee myself :(

Yeah I hate appointments where you need a full bladder.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

They just need you to have a full bladder. If you end up needing to pee, go pee. But then drink more. Your bladder fills pretty quickly.

The hardest thing is the pain when they’re pressing on your tummy trying to find your ovaries/appendix/womb/etc and you have a full bladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

They just need you to have a full bladder. If you end up needing to pee, go pee. But then drink more. Your bladder fills pretty quickly.

The hardest thing is the pain when they’re pressing on your tummy trying to find your ovaries/appendix/womb/etc and you have a full bladder.

Yep, and then you pee a little on the couch.

Speedsie wrote: »
    Yep, and then you pee a little on the couch.

Oh god, say it ain't so :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Oh god, say it ain't so :eek:

Only happened to me once after 4 or 5 full bladder the scans. Nothing dignified about the process at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Hi all,

I had the Mirena fitted almost 5 years ago in the Mater Private. It's due to be removed in June and I have some questions but I'm unsure if I go back to the consultant or my GP to ask the questions. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks

I’d start with your GP - they should be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Can anyone who was waiting on smear test results tell me where they found the online updates please?
    I can't find an option for it on the cervical check website.
    Thanks.

Go to the page "when is my next smear due?":
    https://apps.cervicalcheck.ie/check-eligibility/when-is-my-next-smear-test-due.596.checkeligibilityv2.html

It won't actually give you your results, but if it says your next smear is due in 3 years, that implies that your recent results are clear. You won't know for sure until you get a letter in the post though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Go to the page "when is my next smear due?":
    https://apps.cervicalcheck.ie/check-eligibility/when-is-my-next-smear-test-due.596.checkeligibilityv2.html

It won't actually give you your results, but if it says your next smear is due in 3 years, that implies that your recent results are clear. You won't know for sure until you get a letter in the post though.

Last time I checked it said something like "a test is in the system". Checked yesterday and it couldn't find my registration. Having had issues before it's made me nervous. Test was October so only about 10 weeks ago

Caranica wrote: »
    Last time I checked it said something like "a test is in the system". Checked yesterday and it couldn't find my registration. Having had issues before it's made me nervous. Test was October so only about 10 weeks ago

All clear letter in the post today! Such a relief :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Just reading over the details for my appointment for the coil, it says no sex for three weeks before as they need to be sure you are not pregnant. Three weeks seems a bit much, especially if it has to be inserted during your period - kind if an indication of not being pregnant?! I looked up the NHS website & all their information say one week...
    Is this just an excessive Irish thing?

I wasn’t told anything like that before I had mine in. They did a pregnancy test and I was getting a d&c at the time though, so that might have changed things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

It says that that it is essential so that they can legally prove that you are not already pregnant on the day of insertion.

I'm very doubtful of the need to abstain for three weeks especially since I'm taking the pill, I think I will follow the NHS advise!

I was listing to the radio today & they were saying when the pill was first introduced, the the 7 pill free days were to please the Pope!! This kind of stuff makes mt feel like they are making it all up as they go along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Addle wrote: »
    Can anyone who was waiting on smear test results tell me where they found the online updates please?
    I can't find an option for it on the cervical check website.
    Thanks.

Hi Addle,
    I had a smear test in October and was told results would be 14 to 16 weeks. I rang GP today to check and was told it is now taking 26 weeks - that is 6 months - to get the results.

The week after I did my test my younger sister was diagnosed with cervical cancer. I rang the GP at the time to ask if I could have a private scan (not on the cervical smear scheme) but was told waiting times are the same for private.

jordata wrote: »
    Hi Addle,
    I had a smear test in October and was told results would be 14 to 16 weeks. I rang GP today to check and was told it is now taking 26 weeks - that is 6 months - to get the results.

The week after I did my test my younger sister was diagnosed with cervical cancer. I rang the GP at the time to ask if I could have a private scan (not on the cervical smear scheme) but was told waiting times are the same for private.

I had mine in late October and got the results at the start of January

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Caranica wrote: »
    I had mine in late October and got the results at the start of January

If you don't mind me asking was this as part of the CervicalCheck Scheme? And was it a normal check or a follow up for abnormal smear? I wonder why I have been told 26 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

I had mine in November, I phoned last week, the cervical check number and they told me I could be waiting up until April/May for results.

jordata wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking was this as part of the CervicalCheck Scheme? And was it a normal check or a follow up for abnormal smear? I wonder why I have been told 26 weeks.

It was normal scheme but first time normal after about 50 million smear tests after abnormalities. Now maybe I'm still on an express list but I was surprised at how relatively quickly they arrived when the website said 20 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I expected a long wait, but will tests not go out of date after that length?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

I had mine in August and only got results in January. I was told at the time it would be 12 weeks and then after about a month the wait had gone to 20 so I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone longer again. Mine was just over 20 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

My god - the wait for results has gotten so long now. I got my smear done last June and got the results in August. And I thought at the time that was peak smear campaign and awareness after the controversy. I know it's not nice waiting so long for the results. But it surely must be a good sign that a lot more women are coming forward to get their smear done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Addle wrote: »
    I expected a long wait, but will tests not go out of date after that length?

I had mine done yesterday and the nurse was saying that the vial she was using isn't out of date until 2021.

Luckily I have always had normal results and have no unusal symptoms, so I am not worried about the results. But I can't imagine having to wait up to 6 months if you were any way worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm currently in treatment for abnormal cells and had a procedure done where they call you back quite regularly to re-test you, I had my re-test in October and they told me there I won't have any news before 20 weeks.
    So even women that are currently on a treatment plan have to wait ages.
    I was even playing with the thought of going back home for a repeat of my results still aren't great and get it done there, I won't even wait a working week for results.

I'm so sorry that so many have to wait so long.

Advertisement