Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are there any roads you will refuse to cycle on?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

smacl wrote: »
    In a similar vein, I tend to avoid the Long Hill - Roundwood road these days and go the back roads off Red lane. Probably a bit narrow for groups but great solo cycling territory and a few interesting off road connections.
    It's nearly gravel along parts of it, rather than tarmac though. OT, but there's supposed to be a right of way from Carrigower that they're investigating to link the Reservoir Trails to the Sugarloaf Way (which would then link on to the Wicklow Way).

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

I don’t mind going that direction to be honest, it’s the other side I don’t like. I usually take the left turn after the Lidl junction which brings you up past Belmont Demise and brings you back onto the Windgates road at the top of the hill. Can be used the other direction if you don’t like the decent into Greystones. Much quieter and less of a climb too!

Who doesn't like the descent into Greystones? That's where I reached my fastest speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Who doesn't like the descent into Greystones? That's where I reached my fastest speed.

I know! I love it but some people might not with the traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I only used that for the first time recently. Went the opposite way and ended up in Delgany. The bit around Belmont has a poor road surface but apart from that, lovely quiet roads..

Yeah surface isn’t great but a nice little climb up to Kindlestown and also up Bohilla Lane past the Small Sugarloaf.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's nearly gravel along parts of it, rather than tarmac though. OT, but there's supposed to be a right of way from Carrigower that they're investigating to link the Reservoir Trails to the Sugarloaf Way (which would then link on to the Wicklow Way).

Love the reservoir trails as a mellow add-on to any cycle around that neck of the woods and choose L-roads and gravel over R and N roads given the choice. Lots of good stuff between the Old Long road and Rathdrum with minimal traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

not for safety reasons , planning to do a couple of cycles down to Laragh and back up the coast but Ill get the DART home from Greystones, there is something life sucking about Greystones back into the city, I'd prefer to throw the extra distance into the wicklow section

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The R149 between Lucan and Clonee. The road is only about 6km and the surface is grand but it's an absolute ballache to pass cyclists in a car due to the s bends, two bridges and junctions leaving very few safe passing opportunities. I'd be leaving myself open to chancers cutting it close. People also love to speed.

Going to work at 6am or coming home at 1am no bother, but coming home at 7pm or going at 1pm no chance. Too much traffic given it's the road people take to skip the toll. Shame as it turns a 13km trip into 21km, just glad I can take it for one part of my commute.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

silverharp wrote: »
    not for safety reasons , planning to do a couple of cycles down to Laragh and back up the coast but Ill get the DART home from Greystones, there is something life sucking about Greystones back into the city, I'd prefer to throw the extra distance into the wicklow section

Military road and Sally gap is probably the nicest and more popular ways of hitting Laragh. Not a great option if it is windy, but well worth a punt if you've got decent weather. Wouldn't be a big fan of Greystones to town either, I'd often take the backroad between the Military Road and Roundwood road followed by Old long hill home if it is a bit windy for the gap but it is probably a tougher option in terms of evil little ramps. Either that or the gravel road to Moneystown or Stump road from Rathdrum (also lumpy).

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Not a fan of Kilshane Cross
    I try and avoid Blakes Cross if I'm heading south.
    During the 5km lockdown, I avoided the R108 ( I think it's it ) from the Rathbeale road past Knocksedan in particular, lots of close passes, it's much easier & less stressful to take the Balcultry Road, about 500m west of the R108. This would have taken me slightly outside the 5km, but for the sake of self preservation...…..
    Also, not a fan of the stretch from Portmarnock to Malahide at weekends
    All in all, there's definitely a degree of route pre planning at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

rushfan wrote: »
    Not a fan of Kilshane Cross
    I try and avoid Blakes Cross if I'm heading south.
    During the 5km lockdown, I avoided the R108 ( I think it's it ) from the Rathbeale road past Knocksedan in particular, lots of close passes, it's much easier & less stressful to take the Balcultry Road, about 500m west of the R108. This would have taken me slightly outside the 5km, but for the sake of self preservation...…..
    Also, not a fan of the stretch from Portmarnock to Malahide at weekends
    All in all, there's definitely a degree of route pre planning at times.

Sadly in the news last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

After yesterday’s spin on the bike, going against the thread, the roads into and out of and around clonmel are brilliant, the hard shoulders and cycle lanes are in very good nik too. Well done clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

yep, i'd often have gone the way you suggest. without taking a left for puddenhill (i.e. if you continue on towards clonalvy), you pass a bike shop before you reach the garristown-ardcath road. i've often wondered how much business he gets.

https://www.our.ie/county-meath/drogheda/arts-sports-and-recreation/bicycle-repairs-meath-drogheda-ashbourne-duleek/web1084/

Is this the bike shop?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, i think that's the chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

smacl wrote: »
    Military road and Sally gap is probably the nicest and more popular ways of hitting Laragh. Not a great option if it is windy, but well worth a punt if you've got decent weather. Wouldn't be a big fan of Greystones to town either, I'd often take the backroad between the Military Road and Roundwood road followed by Old long hill home if it is a bit windy for the gap but it is probably a tougher option in terms of evil little ramps. Either that or the gravel road to Moneystown or Stump road from Rathdrum (also lumpy).

I gear my summer to Laragh/Glen and head home west in some manner, its just a way of building up to it plus I have never taken a left down that way so just something different to head across in the direction of Ashford

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

yes, i think that's the chap.

I had never heard of that shop, until there was a thread on here about Isaac bikes. He apparently is an agent for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a bit of a stretch to call it a shop. it's just someone's house. possibly the one here (the google imagery is nearly 11 years old, there's a bike shop specific sandwich board outside the house now)

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5965233,-6.3870155,3a,75y,43.35h,79.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUJi-mi3yECzGOK2ZdvLfJg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Sadly in the news last week.

Yes indeed, concentrates the mind. RIP

Advertisement